Targeting Party Members For Curing?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXIV » Classes » Conjurer » Targeting Party Members for Curing?
Targeting Party Members for Curing?
First Page 2
 Diabolos.Jaeth
サーバ: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: Jaeth
By Diabolos.Jaeth 2010-09-23 01:49:22  
So I got into an alliance tonight and we were running through some higher levequests. I noticed you can't use the F# keys to target party members for quick curing, nor can you use <p0>-<p14> even though you can use those for talking about members in party chat. Even clicking the name in the party list won't work. So how can you target players who need immediate cures without tabbing through friend and foe until you find the right player?

I tried /ac Cure <me> and it cures me fine, <st> allows me to tab to target, but nothing I can find will allow fast targeting.

Considering how the cure spell itself takes so long to go off, tabbing until you find the right player is asking for mass deathga.

Any ideas?
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-23 01:52:38  
And this (among other reasons) is why I've been saying it sucks to a mage for months now
[+]
 Leviathan.Lexington
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Lexington
By Leviathan.Lexington 2010-09-23 01:53:53  
I know if you use Windower you can press Ctrl+F1 to target the first member in the alliance, but I'm not sure if you can go thru and target them all that way with the 'F' keys, hope its of some use :)
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-23 01:58:56  
Leviathan.Lexington said:
I know if you use Windower you can press Ctrl+F1 to target the first member in the alliance, but I'm not sure if you can go thru and target them all that way with the 'F' keys, hope its of some use :)
In 14? Is there a windower for that yet? Besides the one from ffevo?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Lexington
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Lexington
By Leviathan.Lexington 2010-09-23 02:01:53  
Lol sorry thought it was FFXI related, my mistake.
 Fenrir.Eneas
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Eneas
By Fenrir.Eneas 2010-09-23 02:16:21  
Diabolos.Jaeth said:
So I got into an alliance tonight and we were running through some higher levequests. I noticed you can't use the F# keys to target party members for quick curing, nor can you use <p0>-<p14> even though you can use those for talking about members in party chat. Even clicking the name in the party list won't work. So how can you target players who need immediate cures without tabbing through friend and foe until you find the right player?

I tried /ac Cure <me> and it cures me fine, <st> allows me to tab to target, but nothing I can find will allow fast targeting.

Considering how the cure spell itself takes so long to go off, tabbing until you find the right player is asking for mass deathga.

Any ideas?

This is the main reason i wont go to 14. Between this and not having auto attack, most of the social aspect of the game is being cut off. I dont know if many issueas have been fixed from beta nor if they will be.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-09-23 02:26:29  
While agree with you about issues from beta not being fixed, I don't see what this has to do with the social aspect of the game?
 Fenrir.Eneas
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Eneas
By Fenrir.Eneas 2010-09-23 02:28:36  
I think having to type name and surname every time you have to send a tell, or communicate quickly with the party while tapping buttons.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-23 02:50:10  
Yeah less shortcuts to doing things makes it alot harder to talk and socialize
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-23 03:52:29  
Do any placeholder commands work?

<p1-p12> for example.

<r> (I heard that didn't work in beta, don't know if they had the basic sense to fix it)

<bt>

Stuff like that?
 Siren.Blaire
サーバ: Siren
user: 1000stars
By Siren.Blaire 2010-09-23 04:29:00  
Fenrir.Eneas said:
I think having to type name and surname every time you have to send a tell, or communicate quickly with the party while tapping buttons.

Press space to open the chat bar, then press Ctrl + R to send a tell to the last person you sent one to.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-23 04:30:26  
Siren.Blaire said:
Fenrir.Eneas said:

Press space to open the chat bar, then press Ctrl + R to send a tell to the last person you sent one to.

In terms of user-interface friendliness, that's still 1 button press too many. (Pressing the spacebar seems uncessasry when Ctrl+R has no conflicting command)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-23 04:33:43  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Siren.Blaire said:
Fenrir.Eneas said:
In terms of user-interface friendliness, that's still 1 button press too many. (Pressing the spacebar seems uncessasry when Ctrl+R has no conflicting command)
Exactly. Same for pt chat no? Plus if you were talking to one person alot you could reduce talking to them to just typing in 11 lol.
 Siren.Blaire
By Siren.Blaire 2010-09-23 04:35:57  
Oh lord, pushing one extra button is just too much!

People get to used to the features of certain games, then expect them all to be that way. Then they call the game a WoW clone cuz they begged for all of WoW's features to be added to it. (Just an example. lol)

And Dasva, you can set chatmodes just the same on FF14.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-23 04:49:44  
I've tried doing it the same... didn't work. And 1 extra button is a big deal when added to all the others in targeting and attacking/casting. Makes it much more cumbersome to chat and such. I actually find it easier to just talk to said person on msn while playing lol
[+]
 Siren.Blaire
By Siren.Blaire 2010-09-23 04:51:37  
Worked for me all the way through open beta, so i guess you're doing it wrong.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-23 05:01:59  
Siren.Blaire said:
Oh lord, pushing one extra button is just too much!

People get to used to the features of certain games, then expect them all to be that way. Then they call the game a WoW clone cuz they begged for all of WoW's features to be added to it. (Just an example. lol)

And Dasva, you can set chatmodes just the same on FF14.

It's a simple user interface design philosophy. Get the job done with the least number of Clicks. It's not about being a "WoW" clone, it's about simply being well-designed. I simply can't wrap my brain around someone actually trying to defend redundancy.

[+]
 Siren.Blaire
By Siren.Blaire 2010-09-23 05:05:45  
They have a method that works. I can't wrap my mind around someone being such a lazy *** they won't push one extra button. It's even a VERY BIG button. It literally takes no noticeable extra amount of time to push it. Lord forbid it take a fraction of a second longer to reply to a tell.

You guys just look around for anything to *** about in the game.
The inability to target party members quickly is a valid concern. Pressing space before ctrl + r is not.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-23 05:15:44  
Siren.Blaire said:
They have a method that works. I can't wrap my mind around someone being such a lazy *** they won't push one extra button. It's even a VERY BIG button. It literally takes no noticeable extra amount of time to push it. Lord forbid it take a fraction of a second longer to reply to a tell.

You guys just look around for anything to *** about in the game.
The inability to target party members quickly is a valid concern. Pressing space before ctrl + r is not.

Fanboism is an ugly thing.

I love FFXIV, but there is no excuse for redundancy like that. You can spout your "omg u so lazy lol" all you want, it doesn't change the fact that it's poorly designed, no matter how petty an issue it actually is.

Next thing you know, you're going to be saying How much more "Realistic" it is to have no sort function. I mean seriously, all your items magically lining up in a nice order with a button press? That's ridiculous!
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-23 05:21:12  
Siren.Blaire said:
Worked for me all the way through open beta, so i guess you're doing it wrong.
Really you could just hit enter and bring up a box that said chat and scroll thru it to the one you wanted?

Anyways you could argue one more and then one more and then one more button. Hey you should walk the long way around a block cause it's only a little bit more. No it's unecessary and clogs things down
 Siren.Blaire
By Siren.Blaire 2010-09-23 05:27:30  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Really you could just hit enter and bring up a box that said chat and scroll thru it to the one you wanted?

Anyways you could argue one more and then one more and then one more button. Hey you should walk the long way around a block cause it's only a little bit more. No it's unecessary and clogs things down

Oh forgive me, I thought you wanted to play a different game. If everything about the UI was the same as FFXI you'd be one of the same people bitching because it's the same, and not unique. Besides, unless you're like 50+ years old the chances are that you can type /chatmode party before you could select it from the menu on FFXI. I know I can, by far.

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Fanboism is an ugly thing.

I love FFXIV, but there is no excuse for redundancy like that. You can spout your "omg u so lazy lol" all you want, it doesn't change the fact that it's poorly designed, no matter how petty an issue it actually is.

Next thing you know, you're going to be saying How much more "Realistic" it is to have no sort function. I mean seriously, all your items magically lining up in a nice order with a button press? That's ridiculous!

I'm no "fanboy," by far. I hate most of the Final Fantasy games. The MMO ones are the only ones they've done right IMO. I also find it very humorous how you're grasping at straws here to try to make me look bad. "Omg she said i was lazy cuz i won't press spacebar, now i'm going to go way out on a limb and make stuff up and insinuate she thinks the game should be realistic cuz in real life you got to press space bar to reply to something someone tells you!"

Idiot.

The chat function is in place. Press space bar, or don't. Like we care... You just won't be able to reply to tells.

Play it long enough and you won't even notice the difference. Hell, a month later you'll have likely forgotten all about how its any different because you'll do it automatically.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-23 05:31:14  
Siren.Blaire said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Really you could just hit enter and bring up a box that said chat and scroll thru it to the one you wanted? Anyways you could argue one more and then one more and then one more button. Hey you should walk the long way around a block cause it's only a little bit more. No it's unecessary and clogs things down
Oh forgive me, I thought you wanted to play a different game. If everything about the UI was the same as FFXI you'd be one of the same people bitching because it's the same, and not unique. Besides, unless you're like 50+ years old the chances are that you can type /chatmode party before you could select it from the menu on FFXI. I know I can, by far.
Oh forgive me I thought you said you could do it the same way...

And I'm not sure what age has to do with anything but 3-5 button presses should be faster than 15
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-23 05:32:05  
Siren.Blaire said:

I'm no "fanboy," by far. I hate most of the Final Fantasy games. The MMO ones are the only ones they've done right IMO. I also find it very humorous how you're grasping at straws here to try to make me look bad. "Omg she said i was lazy cuz i won't press spacebar, now i'm going to go way out on a limb and make stuff up and insinuate she thinks the game should be realistic cuz in real life you got to press space bar to reply to something someone tells you!"

Idiot.

The chat function is in place. Press space bar, or don't. Like we care... You just won't be able to reply to tells.

You're defending a UI that Square Enix, the *** developer of the game, acknowledges is terrible, and I'm the idiot? I think you need to look up the definition of the word. lol.

Also, fanboism doesn't mean loyal to a franchise, it's blindly defending obvious faults with unnecessary aggression because your point of view lacks a logical base to stand on.
[+]
 Siren.Blaire
By Siren.Blaire 2010-09-23 05:33:41  
Ramuh.Dasva said:

Oh forgive me I thought you said you could do it the same way...

And I'm not sure what age has to do with anything but 3-5 button presses should be faster than 15

It's a proven fact that the younger generations type faster. I'm at 102 WPM, my dad can't even hit 30.

So yes, typing the command is much faster than pressing enter, switching to the arrow keys, finding the right chat option, and pressing enter again. WAY faster.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-23 05:35:12  
Switching? I use the arrow keys, num pad and enter key with the same hand. Usually at the same time while my other hand takes care of alt and tab or random other shortcuts. So fast
[+]
 Siren.Blaire
By Siren.Blaire 2010-09-23 05:38:42  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Switching? I use the arrow keys, num pad and enter key with the same hand. Usually at the same time while my other hand takes care of alt and tab or random other shortcuts. So fast

just timed myself on my practice typing program. 0.8 seconds the first time to type /chatmode party. It took me 0.74 the 2nd time. I doubt you'd be that fast with your menus lol.

And yes Zic, you are indeed an idiot. You're throwing a temper tantrum over having to first make the chat box active before pressing ctrl + r. MANY games do this. Perfect example? Any FPS game ever? You have to press a button to open the chat box before you can take any actions in the box. This is to avoid accidental opening of the box when you're trying to use other commands. And yes, there are plenty of MMO's that are built the same way, FF14 included.

Stop being a little crybaby.
Seriously, if you don't like it don't play it. I'm not defending the UI but there's nothing wrong with the chat box when it comes to replying to a tell. There are MANY other issues MUCH more important that should be fixed. I honestly hope they never change the reply method. With the lagginess of the game interface, if someone accidentally pressed ctrl + r instead of the 4 or 5 button they could easily cause the death of a party because of the slow response time on the UI.

Also Dasva, typing the command has the huge benefit of being able to be done with other windows open. You can change the chatmode that way at any time. You have to close all the other windows (AH, menu, chat log) to use the menu to do the same. Pretty positive its the exact same way in FF14 in that sense.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-23 05:48:25  
Siren.Blaire said:

And yes Zic, you are indeed an idiot. You're throwing a temper tantrum over having to first make the chat box active before pressing ctrl + r. MANY games do this. Perfect example? Any FPS game ever? You have to press a button to open the chat box before you can take any actions in the box. This is to avoid accidental opening of the box when you're trying to use other commands. And yes, there are plenty of MMO's that are built the same way, FF14 included.

Stop being a little crybaby.
Seriously, if you don't like it don't play it. I'm not defending the UI but there's nothing wrong with the chat box when it comes to replying to a tell.

If being confused that a human being can be as stupid is you, is a temper tantrum, well then, I concede defeat on that front. Congratulations.

From a very simple game-design perspective though, if there is no conflict with Ctrl+R that requires the Spacebar to be pressed, there is no excuse why someone has to open the chat window to reply in the first place. It doesn't matter how many games it's in, it doesn't matter how long it takes. It's a redundant action, and for a UI designer, it's their responsibility to make sure there's as little redundant action as possible.

I'm not even going to point out the obvious faults with comparing an FPS game interface with an MORPG. Suffice to say, anyone with three functioning braincells are lulzing pretty hard at that comment.
[+]
First Page 2