users online
フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » Bugs » IP's that've accessed this account
IP's that've accessed this account
 Midgardsormr.Tyrandor
サーバ: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: Tyrandor
By Midgardsormr.Tyrandor 2009-01-30 20:49:15  
Well, I sure hope this belongs in the bugs section, but here goes.

I was trying to log in today, and couldn't remember my password. So I used mail retrieval, got a new password, and when I got logged in I hit change password. This page promptly gave me a list of unique IP's that have accessed my account. Two of them is me, but the third one certainly isn't me. I live in Norway, and this IP was: 134.34.147.22 athene.physik.uni-konstanz.de 2008-01-16 04:14:31

I haven't been in germany for years, and neither have I given my ffxiah login to anyone. So is this a bug or have I been hacked somehow?
 Unicorn.Tavlov
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-01-30 21:08:19  
I just checked my IP address under pass change and wow.. lol there must be at least 50 IP's. I do not use any type of IP change program, so I guess my provider changes it for me. They all have my providers name in them. I wont share the name for security reasons. I live in the U.S though. I don't know if it would be the same issue with your provider.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-30 21:11:45  
Holy bananas, I just looked as well and I have 103 different IP's. Only six of them have my wildcard on them xD

WTF is up with that?
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-01-30 23:19:44  
Tavlov said:
I just checked my IP address under pass change and wow.. lol there must be at least 50 IP's. I do not use any type of IP change program, so I guess my provider changes it for me. They all have my providers name in them. I wont share the name for security reasons. I live in the U.S though. I don't know if it would be the same issue with your provider.

You just have a dynamic IP address, nothing wrong here :p OP case is different since there's an IP that obviously don't belongs to him in the list. (different country / different ISP).

Did not count how many IP are listed for my account, but knowing i get a new IP at most every 22 hours and visit ffxiah almost daily, prolly hundreds.
 Midgardsormr.Tyrandor
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Tyrandor
By Midgardsormr.Tyrandor 2009-02-04 22:37:51  
So....anyone?
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2009-02-04 22:50:19  
Tyrandor said:
So....anyone?

Well it's not a bug. If you don't recognize an IP on there as your own. It would be best to at least change your password, but it seems you've already done that.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-02-05 01:27:26  
hehe, by the looks of it I've been in Midland Texas. Damn I must have been drunk, cant seem to remember beeing on a plane for 15 hours to get there. lol.

which leads me to this.

If someone does in some way log on to your ffxiah account, is there really anything they can do? except for changing what merits you have? I mean, my POL ID isnt anywhere on here.

Is it?
 Carbuncle.Shutupanddie
By Carbuncle.Shutupanddie 2009-02-05 01:35:29  
To a Admin: Could these random IP's be SE's community portal sending data to update our Queue's? How exactly does the statement "Accessed your account apply"? Just some thing to ponder. Does sound like possible Brute Force attacks to gain access Via FFxIAH.com which would lead them to know "Your possible ffxi name. If its same on here and there, your server, again same on both ends". Now to the POL ID. How exactly is our Data brought up from SE community portal? Meaning, how does FFXIAH ask for it? Surely it doesn't say "Hey Shutupanddie" and suddenly it knows who I am. There could be more of me on all servers. Last, if said people are attacking ffxiah.com to gain access to learn someones server+character name they could also "Assume" the password in which you login to FFXIAH.com (If you are this lazy) is the same as your POL and/or FFXI login. End Key, Do NOT use one password for everything. Know what is expandable to you and what is not. Protect yourself accordingly by using various passwords for different areas of the Internet.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2009-02-05 02:12:37  
Zanno said:
If someone does in some way log on to your ffxiah account, is there really anything they can do? except for changing what merits you have? I mean, my POL ID isnt anywhere on here. Is it?

They can do to your ffxiah account pretty much whatever you can do obviously. No, we don't need POL ids to do anything, nor want them.

Shutupanddie said:
To a Admin: Could these random IP's be SE's community portal sending data to update our Queue's? How exactly does the statement "Accessed your account apply"?

The IPs are logged when there is a successful Login into your ffxiah account. Your profile being updated is a totally separate function of the website.

Shutupanddie said:
How exactly is our Data brought up from SE community portal? Meaning, how does FFXIAH ask for it? Surely it doesn't say "Hey Shutupanddie" and suddenly it knows who I am. There could be more of me on all servers.

I'm trying not to be disrespectful, but I thought this should be obvious when you go to set it up. We ask for a URL with the information already there for everyone to see. Think of how Google builds a database of websites to make a search engine, no special access is needed, it's the same concept. The information is just there, we just make the tools to read it automagically!

This 'feature' of logging IPs of machines that log into your account has been around for a long time. It is meant to give you some empowerment into your own account security. I realize it can be confusing if this is a new concept for you, especially if you have an ISP that assigns you a dynamic IP address. In most cases you are fine, however, if you really think you have something unusual there the only advice we can give is to change your password.
 Carbuncle.Shutupanddie
By Carbuncle.Shutupanddie 2009-02-05 03:21:52  
Scragg said:

I'm trying not to be disrespectful, but I thought this should be obvious when you go to set it up. We ask for a URL with the information already there for everyone to see. Think of how Google builds a database of websites to make a search engine, no special access is needed, it's the same concept. The information is just there, we just make the tools to read it automagically!

No disrespect. But as some of us may recall. To login to said community, we enter our... DUH DUHH DUHNN POL ID. I do not program HTML/CSS whatever this site is comprised of. I do not know web functions. Just asking. Hoping to maybe have you or someone else Admin answer to alleviate some fears. I personally seen that many moons ago. Didn't care then, still don't. But, some ppl do seem worried, and now with the answer of "You must login to said account in order to be logged as a IP". Sure, that's a good question now. Why and how are people logging into our accounts? I can't answer that, change our merits, lol. There's gotta be a better reason than simply switching around our information. Back in the day I played around with whatever you'd like to refer to it is. I call it, Network Engineering/Testing people security. Personally, Brute Forcing someone FFXIah.com account seems pretty pointless if they can't snag our ID, all they'll know (Which they can figure out from this post for most part) My name and server. Possibly if I use same Password on POL. That too. This just don't make sense. Scrag don't seem worried. Should we?
 Carbuncle.Shutupanddie
By Carbuncle.Shutupanddie 2009-02-05 03:30:06  
How long is this log kept for? I too noticed that eon's ago. Some odd IP wasn't me. This acct is few years old? My only two IP's in there now are both me. My IP is static/dynamic which most modern ISP's are unless you purchase a Static IP at an extra cost per month. This means, your router/cable modem will lease a IP for 24 hours, most if not all of us don't shut down our modem after we goto bed. Once a lease expires it will then ask to renew the lease to same modem per the same IP. This is can be effected by turning off your modem for a 24 hours period, the lease will expire you will be renewed to a new IP. Even though you're though of as "Static" it's really static/dynamic because of leasing. My page reflects two IP's that are in fact me. There was a time I did notice a oddball IP there that wasn't me. I think these logs get cleaned up from time to time? Anyhow, if there's no connection to POL ID. Don't use same passwords here as anywhere else I.E. FFXI login. That's just lazy and insecure practices.