Need Assistance Concerning Jewish Tradition Regard

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Need assistance concerning Jewish tradition regard
Need assistance concerning Jewish tradition regard
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-09-15 02:06:09  
I need some information regarding Jewish customs relating to the passing of a family member.

My colleague's mother passed away and I received a letter of invitation to her funeral. I will be attending the funeral however he mentions something in the letter which will take place at his home known as "Shiva" and listed a few hours everyday next week.

I need some help as to if there's anything I should keep in mind while attending Shiva. Am I allowed to bring items for him and are there certain things I should be aware of before I go? I would like to visit everyday if I can however I would also like to know if this is necessary or intrusive?

Thanks.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-09-15 02:23:07  
Visiting a shiva home (shiva call) -- Nichum Aveilim
It is considered a great mitzvah (literally "commandment" but usually interpreted as "good deed") of kindness and compassion to pay a home visit (make or pay a shiva call) to the mourners. Traditionally, no greetings are exchanged and visitors wait for the mourners to initiate conversation, or remain silent if the mourners do not do so, out of respect for their bereavement. Often, visitors will recite the traditional words of consolation, Ha-Makom y'nachem et'khem b'tokh sh'ar avelei Tziyon viyrushalayim ("May the Omnipresent comfort you among the other mourners of Zion and Jerusalem"). Once engaged in conversation by the mourners, it is appropriate for visitors to talk about the deceased, sharing stories of his or her life. Some mourners use the shiva as a distraction from their loss, other mourners prefer to openly experience their grief together with friends and family.

It is considered a mitzvah for visitors to bring prepared food for the mourners. The mourner is not expected or obligated to serve food to the visitors, who may eat only if offered food by the mourner.

Copied from wikipedia
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
サーバ: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-09-15 02:38:16  
Sounds like what a wake(sp?) is for non-jewish peoples.
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2010-09-15 02:39:00  
Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury said:
I need some information regarding Jewish customs relating to the passing of a family member.

My colleague's mother passed away and I received a letter of invitation to her funeral. I will be attending the funeral however he mentions something in the letter which will take place at his home known as "Shiva" and listed a few hours everyday next week.

I need some help as to if there's anything I should keep in mind while attending Shiva. Am I allowed to bring items for him and are there certain things I should be aware of before I go? I would like to visit everyday if I can however I would also like to know if this is necessary or intrusive?

Thanks.

Bring your Tuning Fork of Ice.
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
サーバ: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-09-15 02:40:30  
I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to make a joke of this. =D I love forums =DDDD
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2010-09-15 06:22:00  
He got his answer, I waited at least. XD

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.