Game: FFXI
user: Shirasoma
By Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma 2010-09-11 21:44:34  
Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Artemicion said:
Actually, based on some performance testing I hear it is the other way around. The software isn't taking advantage of GPU power, but rather centralizes intensity on CPU use, thus making it difficult for many PC owners despite having really awesome video card.

It isn't posible that I run that I have a second computer, with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz @3.0ghz
4GB RAM
ATI 4770 512MB (One card, not even two)

And I'm able to run the game with the following options:

Full Screen
4x MSAA
Buffer Size: Resolution
Shadow Detail: Standard
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filtering: Highest
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

And I get around 40FPS when I'm at the adventurer's guild in town and it's crowded and a stable 60FPS when outside.

I run a Core i7 920 with 6gigs of Corsair Dominator memory and a Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vaporx 1gb card and the game uses all my gpu power outside of town and I get 60fps, but the second I step inside town its 50-60% and I suddenly get fps in the 20s. My settings are identical to yours except I run 1920x1200 and no AA. This is obviously a bottleneck issue and not optimization right? :P

Does your video card have the last drivers? are all your other drivers updated?
Are you using a branded PSU?
Assuming your CPU is running on stock, which would be 2.6Ghz, your videocard is already on bottleneck. I encourage you to google what bottleneck means and what are the signs of bottleneck.
looks like the exaggeration of using 1920x1200 is the problem

This problem is not relegated to resolution, it's something else. I have friends with beefy CPU's and video cards have their town FPS slow to a crawl, no matter the resolution, low or high. And if anything increasing resolution is supposed to alleviate problems of CPU bottlenecks, but it doesn't seem like it does in FF14's case.
 Sylph.Belmonth
サーバ: Sylph
user: Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 21:56:50  
Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Try setting the game to run on 2 cores only, also 4770 overclocked has almost to no difference from a 4850, defrag your HDD, try using gamebooster, all these little things that people tend to pass out influence a lot.

Not to downplay your suggestions to help the problem, but I've tried all these, sans the Game Booster part. If one of the things that Game Booster does is increase application priority, then I've done that as well.

I just have a hard time believing something user-side would account for a 10-20 FPS difference in critical areas of the game.

I don't know what to tell you then, note though that MMO's will always have FPS drops in towns unless you have a really strong PC.
Are you using 64 bit OS? how much RAM are you using and what speed, I run WinXP 64bit on this machine with a 7200rpm HDD and 800Mhz RAM speed on 5-5-5-18 ratio. What size opening does your video card have? 512 or 1GB?
 Ramuh.Tousou
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-09-11 21:57:58  
Completely forgot to offer a few of my opinions:

I'm a Miner. Odd as it sounds, I find the mini-game entertaining and the idea that I don't have to be fighting Dragons to aid my fellow adventurers intrigues me more and more. The downside, however, is that the ores are useless(to my limited knowledge) without a 5,000 Guild Point Book for Smelting. Admittedly, I don't know how difficult obtaining said book would be, but the idea that my ores are worthless up to(and possibly after if everyone just buys from the NPCs) that point is quite unnerving.

As a PC gamer, the mouse needs to be fixed. This may or may not be a problem in release, however, it's required. It was mentioned previously that the game would encourage a Party v MobParty atmosphere and push toward adaptability during battle, which keyboard/mouse excels at.

The Marketplace idea is an interesting one, but I hope an AH is added(sooner rather than later). While it adds a certain amount of depth and enjoyment to us crafters/gatherers (I'd love to have my own Shop), it hurts the adventurers we're providing for. Adventurers do just that, adventure. They shouldn't have to spend 90% of their time trying to find reasonably priced gear so they can go out and kill 2 things before returning for another upgrade(Obvious exaggeration).

Sadly, it's also the same for crafters/gatherers. Sometimes we'll need items from adventurers or each other, and I know I'd much rather be out mining than spending 4 hours trying to find that new Pickaxe.

It works perfectly fine for RP and Rolanmarts, but as it stands, it fails for MMOs.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 22:01:34  
I think the market wards would be perfect alongside the AH. firstly there would be less retainers so less of a headache, secondly having your own shop would be cool and thirdly it would be perfect for R/Ex stuff when you want to do something other than Bazaar things.
 Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma 2010-09-11 22:06:11  
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Try setting the game to run on 2 cores only, also 4770 overclocked has almost to no difference from a 4850, defrag your HDD, try using gamebooster, all these little things that people tend to pass out influence a lot.

Not to downplay your suggestions to help the problem, but I've tried all these, sans the Game Booster part. If one of the things that Game Booster does is increase application priority, then I've done that as well.

I just have a hard time believing something user-side would account for a 10-20 FPS difference in critical areas of the game.

I don't know what to tell you then, note though that MMO's will always have FPS drops in towns unless you have a really strong PC.
Are you using 64 bit OS? how much RAM are you using and what speed, I run WinXP 64bit on this machine with a 7200rpm HDD and 800Mhz RAM speed on 5-5-5-18 ratio. What size opening does your video card have? 512 or 1GB?

Yup, running Win7 x64 here. Video card is 512 MB, but I get the FPS drops in town even with the Buffer Size set to half, so I'm doubting that's the problem.

But now that you mention it, I have feeling OS could play into the problem. Reason being, I ran FF11 on my laptop with a discrete 8400 M GS. Under Vista x86, performance was absolutely abysmal, with the game stuttering every 5 seconds or less. But the minute I put XP on it, FF11 ran without stuttering. And seeing as we're both talking about Square Enix here, I wouldn't rule OS out.

Only problem, if this is indeed a fix for performance issues in town, I can't see myself dual-booting 7/XP just for one game, but that's just me.
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 22:11:30  
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:

Yup, running Win7 x64 here. Video card is 512 MB, but I get the FPS drops in town even with the Buffer Size set to half, so I'm doubting that's the problem.

But now that you mention it, I have feeling OS could play into the problem. Reason being, I ran FF11 on my laptop with a discrete 8400 M GS. Under Vista x86, performance was absolutely abysmal, with the game stuttering every 5 seconds or less. But the minute I put XP on it, FF11 ran without stuttering. And seeing as we're both talking about Square Enix here, I wouldn't rule OS out.

Only problem, if this is indeed a fix for performance issues in town, I can't see myself dual-booting 7/XP just for one game, but that's just me.

I use this computer more since my other rig is strong on the electric bill and mainly play other kind of games, but not planning on FFXIV for extended sesions(I use a 1200W PSU for Crossfire), so I tried the beta on a clean install, and used windows xp since FFXIV doesn't even use DX10, so I passed up the windows 7 or vista in this computer since 4GB ram is not that much for those OS gaming wise.
 Kujata.Akeda
サーバ: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-09-11 22:12:47  
Ohh look another 'Lets judge a game that's not released yet' thread.
 Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma
By Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma 2010-09-11 22:16:12  
Sylph.Belmonth said:
I use this computer more since my other rig is strong on the electric bill and mainly play other kind of games, but not planning on FFXIV for extended sesions(I use a 1200W PSU for Crossfire), so I tried the beta on a clean install, and used windows xp since FFXIV doesn't even use DX10, so I passed up the windows 7 or vista in this computer since 4GB ram is not that much for those OS gaming wise.

Is your main rig running XP as well?
 Midgardsormr.Renala
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-11 22:19:10  
Kujata.Akeda said:

Your late, its basicly over unless someone comes QQing again
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 22:19:38  
Sylph.Belmonth said:

No, Windows 7 64bit
 Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma
By Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma 2010-09-11 22:22:15  
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:

No, Windows 7 64bit

That would mean OS wouldn't be a factor for performance on your main rig then, that or it's not manifesting itself because FPS is still high.

I'm at more of a loss now, it doesn't make much sense.
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 22:26:14  
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:

No, Windows 7 64bit

That would mean OS wouldn't be a factor for performance on your main rig then, that or it's not manifesting itself because FPS is still high.

I'm more of a loss now, it doesn't make much sense.

There could be performance issues, putting the fact that it doesn't support crossfire or SLI properly, one card alone should exceed 60 FPS on towns and it doesn't. I barely notice since my HDTV has 120hz refresh rate which makes it look like it increases the FPS even more.
Then again sometimes it's a problem on ATI or Nvidia side, a month ago or so I updated my card drivers and saw ammong the patch notes stuff like:

Increased performace for Crysis: Warhead, Stalker: Call of the Prypat.

And you would think that at this time that would be fully optimized
 Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma
By Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma 2010-09-11 22:30:27  
Sylph.Belmonth said:
There could be performance issues, putting the fact that it doesn't support crossfire or SLI properly, one card alone should exceed 60 FPS on towns and it doesn't. I barely notice since my HDTV has 120hz refresh rate which makes it look like it increases the FPS even more.
Then again sometimes it's a problem on ATI or Nvidia side, a month ago or so I updated my card drivers and saw ammong the patch notes stuff like:

Increased performace for Crysis: Warhead, Stalker: Call of the Prypat.

And you would think that at this time that would be fully optimized

I'll probably still try to test the theory out, and dual-boot XP and compare performance, that or find someone I know with a dual-boot system to test. Appreciate a lot of the info though, really brought up some light-bulbs to my mind.
 Diabolos.Sephirothforbes
サーバ: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Sephirothforbes 2010-09-11 22:42:36  
Off subject but i wonder how do u guys whos plannig on playin two MMO find the time for it, im just not seeing it happening. Maybe its just me cuz ffxi still takes time to do ***. Where is time for RL(assumin everyone has one) with two mmos. And for the people who are buyin new pc/upgrading forone game u guys are insanely hilarious to me.
 Sylph.Kaiye
user: Kaiye
By Sylph.Kaiye 2010-09-11 22:44:15  
Q.Q My stupid laptop won't run it /sigh!

This FF will probably be simply amazing as expected! I doubt it'll ever be 11 though, despite all the crap that goes on in this game, its still top for me <3
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 22:45:22  
Diabolos.Sephirothforbes said:
Off subject but i wonder how do u guys whos plannig on playin two MMO find the time for it, im just not seeing it happening. Maybe its just me cuz ffxi still takes time to do ***. Where is time for RL(assumin everyone has one) with two mmos. And for the people who are buyin new pc/upgrading forone game u guys are insanely hilarious to me.

Yes, because making a future proof PC for years of gaming is utterly foolish. Instead we should just buy an Xbox which will RRod in the first 6 months.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-09-11 22:49:51  
My Xbox hasn't died in 5 years.

Though I agree, it's stupid to think you're only upgrading a PC for one game.

That's like saying you want to get a car with better gas mileage so you can drive across the country. There are more things to do with a car than just that. And upgrading a PC is no different. Everything you've ever done on a computer will benefit from an upgrade.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Authority
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-09-11 22:53:34  
Kujata.Akeda said:

And what do YOU think is going to change by release?
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 22:58:08  
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

No need for that much emphasis on you 'you' but whatever.

I'm pretty sure the majority of legitimate complaints that don't come down to the subjective view of the player will be fixed.
 Phoenix.Avelle
user: nuvas
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-11 22:58:59  
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

The only thing that's going to change is that the people defending the game simply because it's in beta are going to find some other ridiculous excuse to cling onto.

Also the guy with a handgun and beer in his avatar along with sephiroth in his name laughing at anyone seems funnier to me than people spending money so they can enjoy their hobby.
[+]
 Phoenix.Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-09-11 23:06:07  
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

I'm pretty sure the majority of legitimate complaints that don't come down to the subjective view of the player will be fixed.

I would have made the font massive if I could.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 23:08:32  
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

The only thing that's going to change is that the people defending the game simply because it's in beta are going to find some other ridiculous excuse to cling onto.

Also the guy with a handgun and beer in his avatar along with sephiroth in his name laughing at anyone seems funnier to me than people spending money so they can enjoy their hobby.

On the flip side of that, people who are bashing XIV will still find trivial faults to try and and justify the claim that "Teh gaem is crap".

even after fixes are completed. Again most people seem to forget how abysmal XI was at release.
[+]
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 23:13:01  
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

I agree, some people are already ditching from the impresions of a beta and most come up with something like "I hate the UI, I canceled my preorder" I don't know if they are just trying to get some atention, I would agree if it was something like "The combat is terrible, the game mechanics are terrible", because at this point of the open beta yeah, that wont change, but it's always about the UI, complaining about the lack of content when most of it is locked, no end game and the game isn't even released yet, etc.

I would advice this people to wait at release before buying and read impressions from other people and gaming sites, or just give it time. Most people tend to forget that FFXI went trough a complain fest at release from Japan only of being unplayable. Which I don't think FFXIV is as bad.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 23:15:41  
The complaints about the UI and craft lag etc are redundant simply because SE has already on more than one occasion mentioned that the entire lag is due to the menus being server side instead of client side.

Locked content is a redundant complaint due to it being the beta.

AH comment might have some merit depending on how the wards are handled.
[+]
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 23:18:31  
Flionheart said:
The complaints about the UI and craft lag etc are redundant simply because SE has already on more than one occasion mentioned that the entire lag is due to the menus being server side instead of client side.

Locked content is a redundant complaint due to it being the beta.

AH comment might have some merit depending on how the wards are handled.

I do agree with the markets thing, checking trough the bazaars is tedious, they could add a small window saying what kind of goods they are selling, similar to Aion, or that people would actually use the right stands, I really really hate people that have armor display on their stands and sell useless crap like mob drops, food, etc.
Though all this kind of things are fixable according to player feedback, which is what they are expecting. Also they never said AH will never exist.
 Phoenix.Avelle
user: nuvas
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-11 23:18:47  
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

Again most people seem to forget how abysmal XI was at release.

This was not and should never be a valid excuse for how FFXIV or any other MMO will be at launch. Ever.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 23:21:30  
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

This was not and should never be a valid excuse for how FFXIV or any other MMO will be at launch. Ever.

It can be, when most people are comparing XIV to XI. You're claiming that the game will not change, I'm refuting your point by pointing out how terrible XI was in the beta and release.

It takes time to refine a game, as long as the basics aspects of a good game are there, it's no problem.
 Phoenix.Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-09-11 23:21:37  
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Phoenix.Authority said:
Kujata.Akeda said:

Especially since the person who brought up the fact that when FFXI was released there was not much competition. They hit the nail right on the head. Its a different world for MMOs now.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 13 14 15