FFXIV - Win or Fail
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 15
 Ramuh.Vinvv
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-11 20:25:30  
Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Fail, but it has pretty things and cool CS with VOICE ZOMG FFX ALL OVER AGAIN!
AWW DUR BUT VOICES MAKE ME NOT FEEL SO RONERY qqq
 Midgardsormr.Renala
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-11 20:27:49  
Phoenix.Avelle said:
People clumping together is actually a GOOD thing in this system. Do you really want to scan each market ward for items? Hint: There's pages of market wards areas to teleport to.

Hm.. Good point, But if you have 700 people in a 10ft square... your going to have a hard time examining them all in order since I dought retainers will have a title. Saying average joe a has a normal computer, nothing flashy, he'll lag to hell and likely forget where he was at in the scan threw countess bazaars XD
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-11 20:28:07  
It's true that there wasn't very much to do in FF11 at release. But so far, FF11's beta had more content than FF14's beta. We'll hope that isn't indicative.

But here's the problem, folks. FF11 could launch slow and buggy because there just wasn't much else to do. It was a cutting-edge game in a non-saturated market where the biggest MMO on the block could only boast 250,000 users. It had a year or two to work out its problems because there weren't any major challengers.

Things are different in a post-WoW world. The market is saturated, and even if you hate WoW like me, you have to acknowledge that it set a ridiculously high quality bar for an MMO release. Both in quality of tech and quantity of content. Blizzard could afford to -- they put 500+ developers on it and parked it in open beta for the better part of a year.

I really hope that the XIV devs don't think they can pull another XI and just launch with an extremely minimal, downright unstable feature set, and then trickle content and fixes out later. The industry doesn't work that way anymore. I hope they're smarter than that.

I have my fingers crossed, because I really want this game to be successful.
 Lakshmi.Ricco
user: Ricco
By Lakshmi.Ricco 2010-09-11 20:29:44  
Well judging how long it took SE to listen to the player base of XI to give them what they wanted maybe XIV can get there in half the time. Really though some things should be very simple and yet ruin 14 for me.

When a mob hits me and im not engaged to it make me *** auto target this really pisses me off during leve quests when mobs link and you cant attack the next mob beating on you right away.

It's just too clunky for me so I will be sticking with XI for another good year or two I mean it took XI a few years to get truly awesome like it is now :)
To OP I wouldn't say win or fail though with having a successful mmo under their belt id think SE should have things at the launch of 14 that weren't at the launch of 11 AH being a huge thing.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-11 20:30:58  
Midgardsormr.Renala said:
Hm.. Good point, But if you have 700 people in a 10ft square... your going to have a hard time examining them all in order since I dought retainers will have a title. Saying average joe a has a normal computer, nothing flashy, he'll lag to hell and likely forget where he was at in the scan threw countess bazaars XD
On Besaid, everyone parks their retainer in the top market ward on the list. The rest are completely empty. So you have one hall with over 150 retainers, of which you can maybe only see 15-20 at a time.

I spent 1.5 hours going through every retainer in that hall last night, one clunky Bazaar interface after another, and found absolutely nothing worth buying. It was so immensely frustrating that I decided the entire system was unusable and now only check the bazaars of people I encounter out in the wild.

(Which is itself unusable, because the maximum range on a bazaar purchase between characters is so tiny, if one or the other is moving it will fail outright.)
 Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Shirasoma
By Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma 2010-09-11 20:31:28  
Sylph.Belmonth said:
By the way, my main computer has the following specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz @3.7Ghz
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB in total
2xRadeon HD 5970
7200RPM WD HDD (another fact that people seems to be unknown that hard drive speed might cause FPS drops and stutter if it's slow when it has to constantly load)

I would agree if you said you have a crossfire or sli and have performance issues, because I get better performance with only one card than on crossfire.
But even so with one card I'm able to run the game with everything on max, with 0 FPS drops and a stable 60FPS and I play it on my 1080p HDTV.
While on crossfire I get tons of hicups and stutter.

I honestly don't think the situation is very clear-cut. If it was bottlenecking alone causing these performance issues, then a majority of people wouldn't be experiencing FPS problems in town or anywhere this game is "CPU limited."

I have a Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.12 Ghz, 4gb of RAM, and a Radeon 4850, which is also overclocked. CPU usage for the game is maxed all the time. Knowing this, I "should be" getting better performance than your Core2 machine, yet I still get sub 20 FPS in crowded areas, pretty much the symptoms Avelle is experiencing. I don't know how to explain this other that there's a lot of things going under the hood in the game that we really don't know about yet, and not a case of simple "CPU bottlenecking." It may be part of the problem, but it's clearly not all of it.

ninja edit: forgot to add that I'm running the same settings as your Core2 machine, except resolution, which is lower at 1600x900.

Phoenix.Avelle
サーバ: Phoenix
user: nuvas
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-11 20:34:32  
Phoenix.Avelle said:
People clumping together is actually a GOOD thing in this system. Do you really want to scan each market ward for items? Hint: There's pages of market wards areas to teleport to.

Well to be honest, FF14 appears to limit the amount of characters it can render at any given time so I don't think lag will be a huge issue. You take a few steps forward and more people render as you pass others by. It's incredibly slow to browse bazaars and you have to be within a certain range of someone to buy an item, even with the window open. But get this, you can't even move while checking someone's bazaar so you have to cancel out of the windows, move up to them and recheck them. It's a pretty awesome system.

Also Jaerik is a very wise man.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-11 20:36:18  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I spent 1.5 hours going through every retainer in that hall last night, one clunky Bazaar interface after another, and found absolutely nothing worth buying. It was so immensely frustrating that I decided the entire system was unusable and now only check the bazaars of people I encounter out in the wild.

(Which is itself unusable, because the maximum range on a bazaar purchase between characters is so tiny, if one or the other is moving it will fail outright.)

Thats what I figured it'd do, why I was saying I think its the players fault. They should add a retainer limit PER ZONE. It'll fix the clumping in ONE *** SPOT and allow people to sift threw them easier, At least I think so.

I havn't gotten to play the open beta, so I'm only going off what I ask friends, New comps in the mail and should be here in 3-7 days.. after that, download time and update it and then try it out for myself.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-09-11 20:42:05  
Thing with SE over last several years is they got away from the focus of quality of their games and more focus on profit what has really hurt the product in general . Pushing out one game after another slapping brand names like FF and dragon warrior or such on them to try make it sell. While just disregarding what makes them great to begin with. I'm not sure when this started maybe when they merge company's with the dragon warrior people just not sure.

Edit: just woke up not sure how much sense this makes..
 Lakshmi.Ricco
By Lakshmi.Ricco 2010-09-11 20:46:22  
Caitsith.Heimdall said:
Thing with SE over last several years is they got away from the focus of quality of their games and more focus on profit what has really hurt the product in general . Pushing out one game after another slapping brand names like FF and dragon warrior or such on them to try make it sell. While just disregarding what makes them great to begin with. I'm not sure when this started maybe when they merge company's with the dragon warrior people just not sure.

Edit: just woke up not sure how much sense this makes..

FF12 for sure gameplay was nice but story just blew its the one FF game i own I have not replayed

13 I've also heard from many wasn't good in the story department.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-11 20:49:53  
If they roll with the retainer system, and then give a way to stand somewhere and search through everything available, isn't that just the Auction House system anyway?

Right now, well... let's say you're an immensely successful armorer, very high level with fantastic stuff for sale. There's no way to advertise it or show it. Your retainer looks like all the rest, clumped together in a small area with 100 others selling newbie drops from rank 1 zone trash.

There's literally no reason to use the system. For any given buyer, you have a 1 in 100 chance someone will even have the patience to find your retainer. (Probably by complete accident, assuming he even renders at all). And then how will they ever find them again in the future?

There's no reason to assume player behavior in this regard will change after release. It's arguably not the players' "fault," because they're using it in precisely the way the game is encouraging them to.

---------------

(Edit) If I might make a prediction:

If they ship the game in the current shape, economy-wise, you will see players abandon the retainer system and shift to using /shout for most high-value transactions. You'll be back to the "LTS GREY HARNESS 10k OBO" spam in every city, a la MMO's from 12 years ago.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 20:54:16  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
If they roll with the retainer system, and then give a way to stand somewhere and search through everything available, isn't that just the Auction House system anyway?

Right now, well... let's say you're an immensely successful armorer, very high level with fantastic stuff for sale. There's no way to advertise it or show it. Your retainer looks like all the rest, clumped together in a small area with 100 others selling newbie drops from rank 1 zone trash.

There's literally no reason to use the system. For any given buyer, you have a 1 in 100 chance someone will even have the patience to find your retainer. (Probably by complete accident, assuming he even renders at all). And then how will they ever find them again in the future?

There's no reason to assume player behavior in this regard will change after release. It's arguably not the players' "fault," because they're using it in precisely the way the game is encouraging them to.

I dunno, Giving my retainer a stand probably tripled my money. And I was in ward 3.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-11 20:56:11  
Its why I think they should put a cap on how many retainers per zone. Something like, 50 or so, since they have alot of them right? I heard something like 30 zones for them to go into?

I'm not sure, I know if I get into open beta before its closed, I'll put my retainer in a random one, like, the one under where everyone sets theres in. I assume you can see how many retainers are in each zone? Well, then you get some kinda attention since your the only one, you could get some attention from the chance you have something good or something.

Anyway, I have a bit random question, In that video they said something about retaining character information from beta, I know they said name on the same server, But is there more added now?
 Lakshmi.Ricco
By Lakshmi.Ricco 2010-09-11 20:56:17  
God Jaerik :P

Seriously whenever I see your posts they always make the most sense of anyone. :x

I do agree with you though on retainers I don't want to sit and spend over an hour searching through mostly crap retainers to get one thing I want at least in Rolanberry fields all the people bazaaring would load and you could target them with ease.
 Odin.Fafnirr
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Fafnirr 2010-09-11 20:56:32  
Well I think of it this way FFXI was no Gem when it first came out Hell you couldnt even lvl for days if you didnt have the right lvl ranges around you. Also bugs plagued the game, I see FFXIV starting out the same way but only over the years the game will turn into a GEM as FFXI is turning into these last few years. That said, you either love it or hate it, me I love the game Iam itching for release on the 22nd I want to play the beta more but at the sametime I dont want all my progress lost on the 19th when SE wipes it all clean soo Iam back in FFXI playing with my homies and doing events til the 22nd when I try to juggle both until one of them wins and I play full time LOL. But yea its really up to the person it they will like it or not and if you are still on the boat really wait til release or wait til PS3 release when SE' gets more updates and fixes into the game cuz at start if you didnt like beta I dont think you will like release cuz it will be just about the same if not a tad bit better. OH AND I LOVE FFXIV ITS FREAKING BADASS AND ONLY CAN GET BETTER (HOPEFULLY) AND I LOVE FFXI BOTH GREAT GAMES ONE JUST NEEDS A BIT MORE WORK BUT WHAT MMO CAME OUT SPANKING CLEAN WITH NO BUGS OR A MESSED UP UI? NONE !
 Phoenix.Authority
user: Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-09-11 20:57:09  
Ok so here are those quotes I was talking about that cause me to doubt SE's intelligence.

Sylph.Belmonth
サーバ: Sylph
user: Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-11 20:57:46  
Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
By the way, my main computer has the following specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz @3.7Ghz
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB in total
2xRadeon HD 5970
7200RPM WD HDD (another fact that people seems to be unknown that hard drive speed might cause FPS drops and stutter if it's slow when it has to constantly load)

I would agree if you said you have a crossfire or sli and have performance issues, because I get better performance with only one card than on crossfire.
But even so with one card I'm able to run the game with everything on max, with 0 FPS drops and a stable 60FPS and I play it on my 1080p HDTV.
While on crossfire I get tons of hicups and stutter.

I honestly don't think the situation is very clear-cut. If it was bottlenecking alone causing these performance issues, then a majority of people wouldn't be experiencing FPS problems in town or anywhere this game is "CPU limited."

I have a Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.12 Ghz, 4gb of RAM, and a Radeon 4850, which is also overclocked. CPU usage for the game is maxed all the time. Knowing this, I "should be" getting better performance than your Core2 machine, yet I still get sub 20 FPS in crowded areas, pretty much the symptoms Avelle is experiencing. I don't know how to explain this other that there's a lot of things going under the hood in the game that we really don't know about yet, and not a case of simple "CPU bottlenecking." It may be part of the problem, but it's clearly not all of it.

ninja edit: forgot to add that I'm running the same settings as your Core2 machine, except resolution, which is lower at 1600x900.

Try setting the game to run on 2 cores only, also 4770 overclocked has almost to no difference from a 4850, defrag your HDD, try using gamebooster, all these little things that people tend to pass out influence a lot.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-11 20:58:51  
I assume you can see how many retainers are in each zone?
Nope. You have no way of knowing without going there, and even then you can't really tell because only the 10-15 nearest you will render anyway.

Its why I think they should put a cap on how many retainers per zone.
Whatever solution they come up with, they can't allow early players to completely lock later players out of the market. That makes hard caps difficult.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-11 21:02:35  
Anyone remember, in FFXI, when relic weapons were "just a hoax"? I remember telling people about them and people not believing me, and this was well before people had beaten some of the Dynamis zones.

Sorry, was just reminicseing, I miss the days of FFXI, when everything was new and unknown.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 21:02:46  
Retainers should cycle wards every hour. Only the people with stands stay in the same ward.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-11 21:02:49  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I assume you can see how many retainers are in each zone?
Nope. You have no way of knowing without going there, and even then you can't really tell because only the 10-15 nearest you will render anyway.

Hmm.. well ***. Thats not very helpful.

Edit time XD
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Its why I think they should put a cap on how many retainers per zone.
Whatever solution they come up with, they can't allow early players to completely lock later players out of the market. That makes hard caps difficult.

Thats true.. Its going to be difficult to make a cap, or install some way of managing them better. Is there some sort of system like when you checked a person on ffxi and you saw there title(So you can see who you've checked incase you get messed up?)
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 21:03:33  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Anyone remember, in FFXI, when relic weapons were "just a hoax"? I remember telling people about them and people not believing me, and this was well before people had beaten some of the Dynamis zones.

Sorry, was just reminicseing, I miss the days of FFXI, when everything was new and unknown.

Same. This is the reason I'm looking forward to XIV. I suppose we could all be totally negative, but I'm personally looking forward to it and what it can offer.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-11 21:04:08  
Flionheart said:
Retainers should cycle wards every hour. Only the people with stands stay in the same ward.
As in, that's how the system should be working right now? Or should work in the future?

'cuz on Besaid in Gridania right now, there's about 100 retainers in the Black hall, 2-5 retainers in the next two halls on the list, and none in the rest. It's been that way for well over a week.
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 21:06:03  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Flionheart said:
As in, that's how the system should be working right now? Or should work in the future?

'cuz on Besaid in Gridania right now, there's about 100 retainers in the Black hall, 2-5 retainers in the next two halls on the list, and none in the rest. It's been that way for well over a week.

That's how I think the system should work. Perhaps place the Retainers in a random ward and measure them out equally. They've already said there is going to be a search function so I'm not too worried about the Wards.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-11 21:08:48  
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:

Same. This is the reason I'm looking forward to XIV. I suppose we could all be totally negative, but I'm personally looking forward to it and what it can offer.

I look forward to basicly being a pioneer. Figuring out new stuff is acually very enjoyable for me, its why I'm going to shift over to it XD
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 21:10:57  
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:

I look forward to basicly being a pioneer. Figuring out new stuff is acually very enjoyable for me, its why I'm going to shift over to it XD

Same. I was probably one of the first people that realised Sentinel is actually levelled up with shield skill

***felt good :D

But then I start a lot of MMO's for the exploration, and XIV has really got a lot of that available.

on the 22nd I'm jumping straight up to Ishgard lol.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-11 21:13:11  
Flionheart said:

Same. I was probably one of the first people that realised Sentinel is actually levelled up with shield skill

***felt good :D

But then I start a lot of MMO's for the exploration, and XIV has really got a lot of that available.

on the 22nd I'm jumping straight up to Ishgard lol.

Lol, I feel so dorky for feeling basicly the same XD

..then again, Here I am posting on a games forums about another game. I think I'm dorky enough without that feeling XD

Anyway. I havn't really figured much out, I'd speculated a couple things and think there about right/sort, and some people agree with me, But, Nothing 100%. I LOVE to explore, so I'm looking forward to ffxiv's area's, anyway, we're off-topic I think XD
 Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma
By Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma 2010-09-11 21:21:29  
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Try setting the game to run on 2 cores only, also 4770 overclocked has almost to no difference from a 4850, defrag your HDD, try using gamebooster, all these little things that people tend to pass out influence a lot.

Not to downplay your suggestions to help the problem, but I've tried all these, sans the Game Booster part. If one of the things that Game Booster does is increase application priority, then I've done that as well.

I just have a hard time believing something user-side would account for a 10-20 FPS difference in critical areas of the game.
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-09-11 21:32:03  
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Artemicion said:
Actually, based on some performance testing I hear it is the other way around. The software isn't taking advantage of GPU power, but rather centralizes intensity on CPU use, thus making it difficult for many PC owners despite having really awesome video card.

It isn't posible that I run that I have a second computer, with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz @3.0ghz
4GB RAM
ATI 4770 512MB (One card, not even two)

And I'm able to run the game with the following options:

Full Screen
4x MSAA
Buffer Size: Resolution
Shadow Detail: Standard
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filtering: Highest
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

And I get around 40FPS when I'm at the adventurer's guild in town and it's crowded and a stable 60FPS when outside.

I run a Core i7 920 with 6gigs of Corsair Dominator memory and a Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vaporx 1gb card and the game uses all my gpu power outside of town and I get 60fps, but the second I step inside town its 50-60% and I suddenly get fps in the 20s. My settings are identical to yours except I run 1920x1200 and no AA. This is obviously a bottleneck issue and not optimization right? :P

Does your video card have the last drivers? are all your other drivers updated?
Are you using a branded PSU?
Assuming your CPU is running on stock, which would be 2.6Ghz, your videocard is already on bottleneck. I encourage you to google what bottleneck means and what are the signs of bottleneck.
looks like the exaggeration of using 1920x1200 is the problem
 Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma
By Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma 2010-09-11 21:40:26  
FF14 is kind of a gamble now for me. I'm echoing Jaerik's sentiments regarding amount of content presently shown in this beta. Sure, you can play the "it's beta" card, but for an extra 60% of the game to be added (and I'm being conservative here) in the 6 months following release, when I feel 40% or even less of the game is currently shown right now, I don't particularly have high hopes for something like that.

I enjoy the game, but I echo the sentiments that there's a lot work to be done. They've all been said ad nauseum already, amount of content, UI, current bazaar system, unexplained performance drops on different systems, crashing, etc.

Right now it comes down whether you or I trust Square Enix to "fix" these problems as the game goes on. My prediction as to how all this will play out is their answer to all of this is "we're working on it." Then it just really comes down to how much patience you have to wait for these "promises," if they can even be called that.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 15