FFXIV - Win or Fail
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 13 14 15
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-13 20:16:35  
We're not sure if it's actually a memory leak, but generally the symptoms are that the client leaks resources with time, until it inevitably gets unstable and crashes.
[+]
By Fouludragon 2010-09-13 20:17:31  
Well holy ***...That can't be good.
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-13 20:46:27  
Hades.Feelin said:
Misinformation and uneducated opinions

Square-Enix Published most of the games you mention, and did not in-house develop them. That would be like accusing Bethesda for making shitty games like WET and Rogue Warrior. Your complete lack of basic knowledge is an insult to humanity as a whole.

I'm not even going to address any remarks about FFXIV, because for all your drama-inducing slander, most can be rationalized in a way that makes them mostly true. But I ask that before you pollute the forums with stupidity, do some basic research about a publisher-developer relationship.
 Ramuh.Tousou
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-09-13 21:35:02  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
What's more, is Square seems to have forgotten that everyone is going to start Rank-Level 1. And right now, aside from "Weathered" (Level 1, and sub-par even then) equipment is all that's available. On My Beta Lancer, I'm still using the Weathered Spear (Though I replaced it a few times due to item wear) despite being rank 15. Foresight never was Square-Enix's strong point...

Baseless grape-vine statement coming...

Didn't they remove all/nearly all NPC gear to "encourage" more people to beta test the Crafts?
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
サーバ: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-09-13 21:42:09  
Siren.Enternius said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Jaerik is right, even though a bunch of people will want to like it because it wears the strong name of Final Fantasy, a lot of people will dislike it for a few things
And a lot of people will insult it just because it's not FFXI, just like everyone on this forum. "It's different from FFXI so that means it's bad". Just ask Artemicion or Stiklelf.
Feel free to ask me. Unlike some people I'm not blind. I've never once said anything along the lines of "This game isn't XI it's horrid." If you're going to put things in my mouth, make it something fun, not words.

Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-13 21:44:09  
Ramuh.Tousou said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
What's more, is Square seems to have forgotten that everyone is going to start Rank-Level 1. And right now, aside from "Weathered" (Level 1, and sub-par even then) equipment is all that's available. On My Beta Lancer, I'm still using the Weathered Spear (Though I replaced it a few times due to item wear) despite being rank 15. Foresight never was Square-Enix's strong point...

Didn't they remove all/nearly all NPC gear to "encourage" more people to beta test the Crafts?

There are a ~few~ higher rank weapons available at NPC shops, but I just think they haven't put any higher rank items in, period. Though it was discussed in an interview, that the possibility exists they'll correct that.

The first week or so is going to be strange. A large group of Disciples of war/magic with a handful of crafters, when people start reaching the fatigue week limit, we might see some of that auto-correct as people explore other options.
 Phoenix.Authority
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-09-13 23:21:47  
Ramuh.Tousou said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:

I thought they said that no mob in the game will drop weapons or armor, even endgame mobs. Instead they will drop the mats needed to make said gear.
By Fouludragon 2010-09-14 03:34:06  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM

Hmm
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Renala
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-14 04:26:30  
Fouludragon said:

Hmm

Just wanted to have the video here so people don't need to copy/paste XD

Edit:

I'd also like to mention that that video really puts the fatugue system into a nice perspective. Heck, I found some stuff out with it even XD
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-14 04:42:25  
Yah, the fatigue system has gotten a lot of flak, and most of it comes from second-hand "I herd this dawg" forumites. Right now, on the list of FFXIV ***, the Fatigue system is right at the bottom. It's an odd, but (slightly) justifiable design choice. The Video hides the fact that the developers are forcing your direction a little too much, but for it's obvious "Pro FFXIV regardless of everything" stance, it's much less bias than the armies of retards screaming "restricting limiting gameplay lolbawwz" (Restricting is too big a word for those idiots to comprehend).
Phoenix.Authority said:
Ramuh.Tousou said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:

I thought they said that no mob in the game will drop weapons or armor, even endgame mobs. Instead they will drop the mats needed to make said gear.

Actually, some months ago, when the broadside of "Bawwww Casual are favorites now" storm was smacking Square in the face, they reassured the masses, that FFXIV is still a deep, MORPG experience at it's core. And hardcore players can expect looting raids, rare(notorious) monsters and treasure drops, large-scale battlefield encounters, and a cohesive plot. The only reason they focused on the "Casual" Friendly Guildleve, is that they were advertising to a demographic of people who might not have considered an MORPG to begin with, because of the stigma of "Time sink" that comes with them.

Digging through PR scrap, the majority of gear will be crafted, but Unique/Rare item drops will exist in game. Otherwise, non-transferable (Rare) Items would be locked to crafter-only.
 Phoenix.Seaxneat
user: seaxneat
By Phoenix.Seaxneat 2010-09-14 04:46:34  
I have played FFXIV beta for a while now and my private opinion is the following:

Graphics are stunning, probably the best around for an MMO game! NO doubt on that. However, I spent months forcing myself to like it, but I find it is lacking soul...

It has failed to engage me or make me want to play more of it - this is my opinion, you can slag me off as much as you like I won't change it -.

But also, why the hell have they called it Final Fantasy? What fantasy is left in XIV? Almost everything has been designed too realistically, from characters, environments, objects... A huge number of mobs are real animals, like mice, bugs, chicken, goats, flies, etc... Where's the fantasy in that lol?
I might as well go live in a real farm, more (fun) :)
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2010-09-14 04:53:42  
Hm late poster....

I closed and open beta tested it.

It changed in many great ways.

Worst thing about it, as of right now.... No arrow keys camera mode.

Good things: CUSTOMIZABLE CHARATERS. This alone would just make me play it, as I am now. Compared to 11, the character selection has about 10,000x more possiblities of unique ness, not 60000 people in whitegate with the Face2 taru with brown hair (or whatever).
The quests(leves) are quite fun, solo-able, money/exp earning.
Fishing/Mining/harvesting, is slightly funner than 11's, although still bland and boring it's been spiced up. Easier way to equip items and not have to re-do skills(JA's) every time would be nice.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-14 05:08:49  
Phoenix.Seaxneat said:
I have played FFXIV beta for a while now and my private opinion is the following:

Graphics are stunning, probably the best around for an MMO game! NO doubt on that. However, I spent months forcing myself to like it, but I find it is lacking soul...

It has failed to engage me or make me want to play more of it - this is my opinion, you can slag me off as much as you like I won't change it -.

But also, why the hell have they called it Final Fantasy? What fantasy is left in XIV? Almost everything has been designed too realistically, from characters, environments, objects... A huge number of mobs are real animals, like mice, bugs, chicken, goats, flies, etc... Where's the fantasy in that lol?
I might as well go live in a real farm, more (fun) :)

Unfortunately, all that is based on artistic interpretation, so I can't tell you you're wrong. But I find the game to be exactly the opposite of what you've said, with the exception that there is a few Mundane critters, because the game would be pretty boring, fast if we walked out and started grinding from rank 1 off dragons and Minotaurs.

I've always been a fan of subtlety though. Suspension of disbelief can't be bought with a dancing Night Elf Rogue spamming the Trade channel for 20gold per Roleplay sex hour, or an army of furry-friendly lycanthropes leaping thirty feet (Ten meters~) in full plate armor.

At the same time, I think you've got the best reason to avoid a certain MORPG. Without an atmosphere that compels you to enjoy the world, there's no way you're going to put in (And enjoy) the time it takes to explore the majority of content in the game.
 Phoenix.Authority
user: Authority
By Phoenix.Authority 2010-09-14 15:50:54  
I will say with the recent news from SE that I am relieved.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-14 15:56:54  
Phoenix.Authority said:

Quote something or give a link, I don't look at SE's conferences unless there linked XD
By Flionheart 2010-09-14 15:57:35  
Midgardsormr.Renala said:
Phoenix.Authority said:

Quote something or give a link, I don't look at SE's conferences unless there linked XD

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/14056/new-trailer-14th-september/
By Flionheart 2010-09-14 15:57:42  
You're welcome
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-14 16:18:11  
Flionheart said:
You're welcome

Thankies XD

I'm not looking at the general page or anything, just this thread ~.~;;
 Asura.Majae
サーバ: Asura
user: Majae
By Asura.Majae 2010-09-14 17:31:15  
I've been playing Beta off and on. I really don't like 14 at all. The controls really kill the experience for me. Granted my computer setup is kind of old, so i expect lag and frame-rate issues, but the controls are just awful.

I'm not a fan of the battle system either, I just don't like how it flows. It kind of reminds me of AoC.

Currently, I'm going to pass on this one. Nothing about the game has pulled me in. Some of my friends think it's amazing, but i guess the amazing just went over my head. Maybe I'll try PS3 beta when/if it comes out, but for now, i'm going to save my money.
 Lakshmi.Kyi
user: Kyi
By Lakshmi.Kyi 2010-09-14 17:43:23  
fail...so many initial problems are encouraging alot of people to not even bother looking at it any more
By Flionheart 2010-09-14 17:44:49  
Lakshmi.Kyi said:
fail...so many initial problems are encouraging alot of people to not even bother looking at it any more

You haven't even tried it.
 Sylph.Belmonth
サーバ: Sylph
user: Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-09-14 17:45:58  
Initial problems on a beta, umad umad!?
 Lakshmi.Kyi
By Lakshmi.Kyi 2010-09-14 17:47:05  
Yes, and I know alot of people that arent going to try it. FFXI will stay because no one is interested in XIV now.
By Artemicion 2010-09-14 17:47:20  
The control scheme and overall interface and gameplay systematics are confusing and will take a significant amount of time and patience to adjust to; however with the server-side lag and demanding hardware requisites for the game, it wears my patience thin far too quickly to bother dealing with at the moment. I will wait until things settle and sort out and keep playing XI. Hopefully by the time I'm ready I will have a powerful enough system to run the game comfortably and not have to deal with /raging for the first few hours when necessary information is available at hand.
By Flionheart 2010-09-14 17:49:00  
Lakshmi.Kyi said:
Yes, and I know alot of people that arent going to try it. FFXI will stay because no one is interested in XIV now.

The book club doesn't count as "A lot of people".
 Lakshmi.Kyi
By Lakshmi.Kyi 2010-09-14 17:50:57  
Who reads books....Out of the 10 ls I have with 100+ people 2 said they would be getting it the rest said no Im not bothering.
 Lakshmi.Kyi
By Lakshmi.Kyi 2010-09-14 17:51:54  
98% rejection before release date is something to be proud of.
By Flionheart 2010-09-14 17:53:14  
Lakshmi.Kyi said:
98% rejection before release date is something to be proud of.

98% in your group of friends... who are old people... reading books
By Artemicion 2010-09-14 17:54:23  
Midgardsormr.Renala said:
Fouludragon said:

Hmm

Just wanted to have the video here so people don't need to copy/paste XD

Edit:

I'd also like to mention that that video really puts the fatugue system into a nice perspective. Heck, I found some stuff out with it even XD

Thank you so much for posting this. It was difficult to find a legitimate unbiased approach to the fatigue system. Finally it makes a lot more sense.
 Lakshmi.Kyi
By Lakshmi.Kyi 2010-09-14 17:55:54  
young old indifferent whatever. FFXIV will be a failure. Good luck if your going. btw that wont be the xbox user or the ps3 users or anyone who needs to upgrade their pcs. Way to reduce your population before you start, lets hope you got new people lined up. Im betting only a handful will go and it fails within 12months.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 13 14 15