フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » News » Hidden Characters
Hidden Characters
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2010-09-06 14:14:03  
I added a field to the edit chars page called "hidden". I defaulted to Yes(hidden) for any character that was marked No for "Main". Keep this field yes if you do not want the character associated with your username or other characters on your FFXIAH.com account. I try to keep character associations secret because some users may link secret mules or alts.

Unlinking hidden chars is another option.

Unhidden chars will display on your user page. Example:

http://www.ffxiah.com/user/Scragg

I wanted to add a way for users to link their FFXIAH account/chars to FFXIV characters so friends can find each other. I needed to make this feature first.

[+]
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2010-09-06 14:27:59  
Cool stuff! I want a purple line >.> I looked at your pic, then my page, and I was like QQ mine is boring and not red ; ;.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-09-06 14:31:54  
Hmmmm.

Edit: Derp, says all characters marked "No."
I onry has anon as alternate :x
 Valefor.Endlesspath
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Endlesspath 2010-09-06 15:01:33  
Candidly it would seem to me that if you are involved in legitimate activities (i.e., non-rmt) then you would not need this. Conversely, if you're involved in "under-the-table" activities (e.g., contrary to the SE rules of conduct) - this is a very welcome to those wanting to cover their path of activity.
But please, let me know about this facet of "privacy" is helpful... like how it benefits legitimate/rule abiding players?
 Asura.Serano
サーバ: Asura
user: Serano
By Asura.Serano 2010-09-06 15:07:57  
hmmmm
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-06 15:14:22  
Valefor.Endlesspath said:
Candidly it would seem to me that if you are involved in legitimate activities (i.e., non-rmt) then you would not need this. Conversely, if you're involved in "under-the-table" activities (e.g., contrary to the SE rules of conduct) - this is a very welcome to those wanting to cover their path of activity.
But please, let me know about this facet of "privacy" is helpful... like how it benefits legitimate/rule abiding players?
What kind of idiot would RMT via public channels? lol

I like it /shrug. Gives me a chance to link a couple mules for moar item sets :3
 Fenrir.Schutz
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-06 15:19:54  

I don't think there is anything inherently "devious" about this feature, mostly because this simply emulates the natural "anonymous" state of any character not registered on ffxiah.com, no?

If I had never registered my character here, and had 2 Jeuno mules (which I do), and I was engaged in only "legit" sales of excess items shifted from my main character, there would be no direct path or relationships between the three characters at all (unless I directly bought items off of one of them through AH.)

If I *were* to engage in illicit AH market trending/price-manipulation trades, this feature doesn't make it *easier* compared to simply not registering those characters or having them unlinked to my account in the first place.

So while I agree it might not be used (or seen as "beneficial") by anyone who doesn't care about hiding their activities, it is also not any more "under-handed" than any existing options for this site (not-registering characters, registering characters then hiding transactions, etc.) in my view.
 Valefor.Endlesspath
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Endlesspath 2010-09-06 15:20:31  
You evidently don't understand the concept tracking behavior/patterns of activity. This is a standard law enforcement routine - what works for law enforcement, correspondingly works for rmt activity at the ah.
So you actually have the whimsical belief rmt don't use the ah?
 Ramuh.Scizor
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2010-09-06 15:23:16  
Oh Scragg look what you've started...

lol
 Titan.Radatz
サーバ: Titan
user: Radatz
By Titan.Radatz 2010-09-06 15:24:25  
OMG SCORE i can hear peaple equipping thier flamethrowers as we speak. gimme a sec to go make some popcorn guys.

that and um... if youre buying and selling gil on an alt dude. seriously. i doubt you would ever link your account. annonymous or not. maybe Nabis or Volkom would... but other than that i think its safe to say you just keep flying as low under the radar as you can.

and yes RMT use the ah A LOT. but again... they just dont link thier accounts to this site period XD
 Fenrir.Schutz
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-06 15:26:33  
You evidently don't understand the concept tracking behavior/patterns of activity. This is a standard law enforcement routine - what works for law enforcement, correspondingly works for rmt activity at the ah.

I am talking about this feature above that Scragg has added. :p But hopefully, I think you get the reasoning now.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2010-09-06 15:38:48  
The feature is simply letting you explicitly tell me what characters you want "hidden". Before this, all characters were hidden by default. This is just allowing users to list their characters on their user page or link alt's on their player page. Soon, I will allow users to link FFXIV characters to their FFXI characters but this would potentially expose alts, mules etc. So, I made this option first and defaulted every char to hidden besides one's that were set as "main".

As far as to reasons why someone might want a char hidden is another debate. I just know some people do.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-06 16:10:54  
ITT: SE uses FFXIAH to track RMT
By chronosarleon 2010-09-06 16:43:18  
thats cool we can link our xiv account to our forum account soon then?

sorry i dont really know much about linking etc