Leviathan.Yokhai
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-23 14:02:48  
Halfpint said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Halfpint said:
Depth of Field and Ambient Occulsion, ammm...pretty sure depth of field relates to "how far" you can see in the distance but what is Ambient occulsion?

The way ambient light is handled wrt to the way light is usually occluded (blocked) from edgeds on 3d mesh. Its like a negative image almost, and thats overlaid with diffuse, to give a much more 3D effect. Sharper edges, better AA

Translation pls...lost me there...talk to me like the total computer illeterate person i am..lol

Ah, light shines on you (diffuse) however you also reflect light (ambient), well if you just cut on diffuse and ambient the way a computer calculates it, you would look like an angel, radiating light. So the occlusion attempts to overly the shadows of ambient light (they occur at flat and concave surfaces) with the overly lit up portions from diffuse, so the object doesn't shine. its shadowed in the appropriate areas to give a more realistic 3D effect
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-23 14:03:47  
Im in Grid, but my comp sucks so you dont want screens from me, but i'll try
 Midgardsormr.Markers
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Markers
By Midgardsormr.Markers 2010-09-23 14:04:59  
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Midgardsormr.Markers said:
Asura.Dameshi said:
oh hey is there any pics out there that detail the starting cities and areas right outside. I wanna look at them before picking and my google search came up with nothing great.

Please and thanks~
If I remember tonight, I could take some pics of Ul'dah. The surrounding area is desert-like if that helps you decide at all :P
Once I get on I can take some pics of Limsa

You're kinda screwed on Gridania tho <_< hardly any of us go to Grid.

Pics would be lovely~

Ul'dah sounds fun but dunno if the desert would be. Limsa seems like my cup of tea. and why is grid so lonely? xD

Because it's a city off by itself.. The walk from Ul'dah to Grid is a long one.. From Ul'dah to the ferry is like a 20-30 min walk at most, and the ferry goes straight into Limsa.

I dun like long walks ^^; so is Ul'dah like the center between the two?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-09-23 14:05:28  
Asura.Dameshi said:
oh hey is there any pics out there that detail the starting cities and areas right outside. I wanna look at them before picking and my google search came up with nothing great.

Please and thanks~
If I remember tonight, I could take some pics of Ul'dah. The surrounding area is desert-like if that helps you decide at all :P

Pics would be lovely~

Ul'dah sounds fun but dunno if the desert would be. Limsa seems like my cup of tea. and why is grid so lonely? xD

Because it's a city off by itself.. The walk from Ul'dah to Grid is a long one.. From Ul'dah to the ferry is like a 20-30 min walk at most, and the ferry goes straight into Limsa.

I dun like long walks ^^; so is Ul'dah like the center between the two?
I wouldn't say in the center, but it is between the two.
 Fenrir.Schutz
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-23 14:06:23  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:

Sorry, absolutely off-topic, but do you play Codemaster's GRID with a wheel, Yohkai? It's such a beautiful game, but I find it almost unplayable because I can never calibrate it correctly for a controller setup. :/
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-23 14:07:42  
Fenrir.Schutz said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:

Sorry, absolutely off-topic, but do you play Codemaster's GRID with a wheel, Yohkai? It's such a beautiful game, but I find it almost unplayable because I can never calibrate it correctly for a controller setup. :/

What?
 Fenrir.Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-23 14:08:24  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Fenrir.Schutz said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
What?

Sorry, wrong GRID, then...please disregard. :p
 Midgardsormr.Markers
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Markers
By Midgardsormr.Markers 2010-09-23 14:08:38  
Asura.Dameshi said:
Asura.Dameshi said:

Please and thanks~

Pics would be lovely~

Ul'dah has hookers in it xD.

Seriously, it's a nice looking city. I haven't visited the others yet to check them out though.

lol are there really hookers? xD
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-09-23 14:08:55  
Is XIV running exceptionally slow for anyone else?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-09-23 14:09:50  
Asura.Dameshi said:
Asura.Dameshi said:

Please and thanks~

Pics would be lovely~

Ul'dah has hookers in it xD.

Seriously, it's a nice looking city. I haven't visited the others yet to check them out though.

Read the dialog
 Fenrir.Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-23 14:10:35  
Asura.Dameshi said:
Asura.Dameshi said:
oh hey is there any pics out there that detail the starting cities and areas right outside. I wanna look at them before picking and my google search came up with nothing great. Please and thanks~
Once I get on I can take some pics of Limsa You're kinda screwed on Gridania tho <_< hardly any of us go to Grid.
Pics would be lovely~ Ul'dah sounds fun but dunno if the desert would be. Limsa seems like my cup of tea. and why is grid so lonely? xD
Ul'dah has hookers in it xD. Seriously, it's a nice looking city. I haven't visited the others yet to check them out though.

"ESRB Rating may change during online play" :p
By Halfpint 2010-09-23 14:12:54  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Halfpint said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Halfpint said:
Depth of Field and Ambient Occulsion, ammm...pretty sure depth of field relates to "how far" you can see in the distance but what is Ambient occulsion?
The way ambient light is handled wrt to the way light is usually occluded (blocked) from edgeds on 3d mesh. Its like a negative image almost, and thats overlaid with diffuse, to give a much more 3D effect. Sharper edges, better AA
Translation pls...lost me there...talk to me like the total computer illeterate person i am..lol
Ah, light shines on you (diffuse) however you also reflect light (ambient), well if you just cut on diffuse and ambient the way a computer calculates it, you would look like an angel, radiating light. So the occlusion attempts to overly the shadows of ambient light (they occur at flat and concave surfaces) with the overly lit up portions from diffuse, so the object doesn't shine. its shadowed in the appropriate areas to give a more realistic 3D effect

thanks..Wish more people could break down some of the terminology that well, I know just enough about computers to make me dangerous but not enought to be useful.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2010-09-23 14:13:06  

I am too. Can't even get on, it's going so slow. Their new patch broke the game :|
 Diabolos.Sephirothforbes
サーバ: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Sephirothforbes 2010-09-23 14:16:42  
so is this the buy ff14 thread or sumthin lol
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-23 14:17:35  

Me, but my computer sucks
By Halfpint 2010-09-23 14:17:42  
this is the "AAHHHHHRrggggg I CAN"T GET XIV TO WORK!!!!" thread
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2010-09-23 14:18:25  
Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou said:

I am too. Can't even get on, it's going so slow. Their new patch broke the game :|

Very. And my system is as pimp as pimp can be
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-23 14:18:55  
Halfpint said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Halfpint said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Halfpint said:

thanks..Wish more people could break down some of the terminology that well, I know just enough about computers to make me dangerous but not enought to be useful.

i use to tutor back in me college days. Glad that was good enough to get the point across. Light, Fire and quaternions are *** to 3D people.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-09-23 14:19:38  
Limsa pics
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2010-09-23 14:21:03  
Phoenix.Wackatramp said:
Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou said:

Very. And my system is as pimp as pimp can be

10 bucks says they have emergency maintenance later tonight.
 Ramuh.Krizz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-09-23 14:21:38  
Interesting. My FFXIV isn't recognizing the patch either on my laptop.

brbinvestigating
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-09-23 14:25:15  
It's all running fine for me.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-23 14:25:36  
Damn i should have picked lima....how hard would it be to make my way over there? or should i finish the gridana starting quest?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-09-23 14:28:23  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Damn i should have picked lima....how hard would it be to make my way over there? or should i finish the gridana starting quest?
It's a long walk, but you can always have someone come pick you up, and teleport you
 Ramuh.Krizz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-09-23 14:29:16  
Anyone else download the patch for today from my site and have it work?
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-23 14:29:50  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
It's a long walk, but you can always have someone come pick you up, and teleport you

i dont mind walks. i remember the run from windy to mahura at level 10, most fun i ever had in ffxi....*** goblins
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-23 14:40:15  
Yokhai gave a fairly good explanation, but to further elaborate:

Ambient Occlusion:

Doing proper light/shadow in 3D is very hard. In real life, it's done by infinitely small and infinitely many photons bouncing around and reflecting, shining, etc. No computer is powerful enough to perfectly simulate it.

So game programmers have a few ways to "fudge" it. The first thing is by breaking light down into two types: diffuse and reflected. Diffuse or ambient is light that kinda "comes from everywhere," like an approximation of how the sun lights up the day. Reflected or specular is light that comes from a particular point source, like a spotlight.

The trouble with ambient light is that it doesn't really exist in nature. It's an approximation. The sun lights up the day not by magical "ambient" light but rather by light that's been reflected off so many things that it's lost its sense of direction. But it's still capable of casting shadows because when you really get down to it, it's still directional light. So how do you get good shadows with the "ambient" light approximation in computers?

Ambient occlusion is an extra graphical pass that attempts to block diffuse/ambient light in accordance with a model's actual physical extents, by nature of how far objects are from one another. The dragon on the left has only a basic shading pass, but the ambient light tends to "bleed" around and give the dragon a glowing feel. The dragon on the right has ambient occlusion turned on, where the dragon's dimensions actually occlude (block) the light, resulting in something that approximates reality. (But is still technically wrong.)

Ambient occlusion results in passably realistic and soft lighting effects, although it's only an approximation of real life. (Ex: the smooth light/shadow on Jaerik's face from beta here.) However, it's an intensive operation. If you don't have a graphics card that can do it natively, it will gobble up most of your CPU resources.

Depth of Field

The human eye can only focus on one distance plane at a time. When you're looking at something up close, stuff behind it goes out of focus, and vice versa. Photographers work with it all the time.

It's also a rule of how optics work in an atmosphere. Mountains far in the distance look fuzzy, and their colors tend to wash out and bleed together, because of the dulling effect of all that air between you and them.

The top picture has no depth of field. All objects at all distances are in focus. This looks very "sharp" but is actually somewhat unrealistic.

The bottom has a very strong depth of field. Objects go out of focus as they recede from the camera almost immediately.
 Leviathan.Snomm
user: Snomm
By Leviathan.Snomm 2010-09-23 14:44:39  
can someone explain to me if it is possible to pay for 180 days worth of the game without using some dumbass third-party website?
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-23 14:45:50  
I love depth of field. it keeps me from getting nauseous. I remember long hours of Siphon Filter with no depth....oh my head would spin.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-23 14:46:06  
Leviathan.Snomm said:
can someone explain to me if it is possible to pay for 180 days worth of the game without using some dumbass third-party website?

by that much cyrsta
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 33 34 35