フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » DRG Merits: Strafe
DRG Merits: Strafe
First Page 2
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-08-05 09:17:24  
Does this make Healing Breath cure for the roof more often? Wiki is very vague on the subject and I'm trying to decide how to finish Dragoon merits off.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-08-05 10:10:07  
Stop talking about Justin *** Bieber and answer my question!
[+]
 Shiva.Daimos
サーバ: Shiva
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-08-05 10:12:05  
I remember strafe being something along the lines of magic accuracy, which would be offensive breaths only. Do you have maxed Deep breathing? I think that would be the better choice for soloing.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-05 10:12:14  
I don't think it works with Healing Breath..but I don't remember.
 Caitsith.Linear
サーバ: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-05 10:13:49  
Only works on elemental breaths.

[+]
 Asura.Werdxi
サーバ: Asura
user: drewxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2010-08-05 10:14:23  
gives mag acc on offensive breaths. nothing to do w/ healing. but still worth the 5/5 imo. every time you ws, you do another 200 dmg cuz your pet said so. whats wrong w/ that.
[+]
 Shiva.Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-08-05 10:16:17  
Elemental breaths are rarely resisted to begin with, and on things that they are, it wouldn't matter a whole lot anyway. Waste of merits IMO, 5/5 angon, 5/5 deep breathing.

Deep breathing adds potency to elemental breaths as well, so you can increase the amount of DoT by reducing the recast.

Edit: scratch the 5/5 angon, Forgot about empathy.
 Bahamut.Zorander
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-05 10:17:39  
Asura.Werdxi said:
gives mag acc on offensive breaths. nothing to do w/ healing. but still worth the 5/5 imo. every time you ws, you do another 200 dmg cuz your pet said so. whats wrong w/ that.
Worth 5/5? Really? What else are you meriting on DRG Category2?
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-08-05 10:24:09  
I already have Angon 5/5, so I have five merits available.

Initially I was going to put Empathy at 5/5, but then I noticed Strafe and thought it was worth investigating. Deep breathing has never appealed, Wuffi already cures me back to 80-90% with a breath. I wouldn't let myself get low enough for the bonus to really be worth it if I'm soloing.

Looks like it'll be Empathy! Thanks for the feedback, you can go back to Justin Bieber now!
 Shiva.Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-08-05 10:25:20  
1/5 Deep breathing in those Ohshi- moments never hurts.
And Idk when you're going to ever have 5 buffs to give your wyvern while soloing.

Lakshmi.Aeyela said:
Thanks for the feedback, you can go back to Justin Bieber now!
Please no ><
[+]
 Alexander.Almostunsane
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Almostunsane 2010-08-05 10:26:32  
Deep Breathing is like Elemental Seal and Divine Seal put together, depending on which breath you're using.
Either Healing Breath Potency +60% or Elemental Breath Potency +100% and MAcc+100% for one use, every 5~15 minutes.

Know that before you decide. Personally, I went 4/5 Angon, 1/5 Empathy and 5/5 DB. I solo a lot though. 1/5 Empathy is more so I can use Spirit Link for free TP without wyvern needing to be hurt than anything else.
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-08-05 10:26:50  
Shiva.Daimos said:
1/5 Deep breathing in those Ohshi- moments never hurts.
And Idk when you're going to ever have 5 buffs to give your wyvern while soloing.

Well that's the best part about Empathy, I can give Wuffi Minuet, Chaos Roll, etc... It doesn't just apply to solo circumstances.
 Shiva.Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-08-05 10:29:35  
I guess empathy would be the way to go then, since DRG will be using Spirit link more often now. I didn't know empathy let you use spirit link without HP missing, that would help a lot when fighting things that don't use aoe moves
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-08-05 10:30:33  
Yeah, that is why it's been 1/5 for so long... Basically so I can wake my wyvern up without her missing health, and also so her healing breaths do about 800 in besieged, heh.
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2010-08-05 10:33:18  
drg cat2 kind of suck lol
strafe being the worse in my opinion.
Deep breathing is neat to play with as it works both offensive and when soloing personally i just capped angon(as even on long fights that arnt zerg it helps + its only one i deem really useful)
I went 3DB/2empathy just to say i capped drg. I dont solo much so deep breathing limited to mostly getting some boost on ws, and empathy just seems marginally useful to buff my pet in case lots of AoE *shrug*
im not a fan of that stupid bird in any case lol, wish we could get pet command "majin gakure" lol
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-08-05 10:34:08  
Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn said:
wish we could get pet command "majin gakure" lol

Seconded.
[+]
 Shiva.Superdan
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-09 07:59:05  

im not a fan of that stupid bird in any case lol, wish we could get pet command "majin gakure" lol

You just failed as a dragoon. Please leave.

Don't even like your own pet >_>
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2010-08-09 08:33:57  
The Bird is uselss >.> barely adds any dmg and usually just blocks my view! ***if it at least did something useful once in a while, but no it cant even keep itself alive, needs to leech off me wtf! i drg with a lance not a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE featherless bird. ;p
[+]
 Shiva.Xellith
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2010-08-09 08:36:50  
if you dont want your pet wyvern then just go play samurai/draoon >.>
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-09 08:37:33  
Yous trolling
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2010-08-09 08:44:23  
Shiva.Xellith said:
if you dont want your pet wyvern then just go play samurai/draoon >.>

i love sam/drg, it doesn't use a lance tho!
[+]
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-09 08:48:18  
The Bird is uselss >.> barely adds any dmg and usually just blocks my view! ***if it at least did something useful once in a while, but no it cant even keep itself alive, needs to leech off me wtf! i drg with a lance not a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE featherless bird. ;p

drg w/ no wyvern > drg w/ wyvern

wut?

Your pet adds a decent amount of DPS, saying otherwise is just lol. Sure it's not groundbreaking, but an extra 30-50dmg per hit on xp lvl mobs is nice, + the 200-400 WSs it does. Plus if you're ever for some reason hitting mobs EM or weaker, it can break 10 a hit np. Admiteddly, on mobs that 'mean something' you shouldnt have it feeding tp though.

Ah well, I'll leave you to your obvious trolling.
 Asura.Rinkydink
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-08-09 09:10:28  
and ill guess you've never had your wyvern magic burst? thats awesome fun
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-09 09:14:59  
Asura.Rinkydink said:
and ill guess you've never had your wyvern magic burst? thats awesome fun

haha I love that. It's awesome doing drakesbane light -> MB lightning breath :P
 Valefor.Byxfluzba
サーバ: Valefor
user: Byxfluzba
By Valefor.Byxfluzba 2010-08-11 18:49:37  
STRAFE is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Don't waste your time even considering it.

Oh holy ***, I typed the wrong word. I LOVE empathy, STRAFE is the thing that's *** useless. My bad. D:
[+]
 Asura.Shinagami
user: Shinagami
By Asura.Shinagami 2010-08-13 09:35:15  
empathy depends on your sub 100%...like, with /sam you can transfer over hasso, if you have haste on you you can transfer that over...if /war you can throw zerk over, /drk you can throw souleater over and let ur wyvern comb its scales over one eye... which i think would be pretty funny.

angon, idk, i put 1 merit in it cuz things usually die before it wears, and in long fights you can just throw another angon for a quick spike to damage.

deep breathing = fun.

im going 5/5DB 1/5Angon 3/5Empathy 1/5 Strafe, i like having it all :<

Ninja edit: Plus now DB + convert = lolmp >.>, then again, we get refresh /rdm next lv cap increase :3...never know~
 Asura.Rinkydink
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-08-13 09:39:33  
Valefor.Byxfluzba said:
Empathy is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Don't waste your time even considering it.
why the hell.. is it?

lol having your wyvern last that little bit longer if you have SS, esp if ur on AOE mobs. For example Nyzul Isle; Empathy makes it worth while.

If you need to use your 2hr and your wyvern is dead because you neglected it.. guess what.. no 2hr!

that just an example of where empathy is good.. theres many many more situations i can think of.. (solo'ing anything is another)
 Asura.Shinagami
user: Shinagami
By Asura.Shinagami 2010-08-13 15:02:20  
Asura.Shinagami said:
empathy depends on your sub 100%...like, with /sam you can transfer over hasso, if you have haste on you you can transfer that over...if /war you can throw zerk over, /drk you can throw souleater over and let ur wyvern comb its scales over one eye... which i think would be pretty funny.

angon, idk, i put 1 merit in it cuz things usually die before it wears, and in long fights you can just throw another angon for a quick spike to damage.

deep breathing = fun.

im going 5/5DB 1/5Angon 3/5Empathy 1/5 Strafe, i like having it all :<

Ninja edit: Plus now DB + convert = lolmp >.>, then again, we get refresh /rdm next lv cap increase :3...never know~
Asura.Rinkydink said:
Valefor.Byxfluzba said:
Empathy is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Don't waste your time even considering it.
why the hell.. is it?

lol having your wyvern last that little bit longer if you have SS, esp if ur on AOE mobs. For example Nyzul Isle; Empathy makes it worth while.

If you need to use your 2hr and your wyvern is dead because you neglected it.. guess what.. no 2hr!

that just an example of where empathy is good.. theres many many more situations i can think of.. (solo'ing anything is another)

Asura: We love our Wyverns ;D~
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [37 days between previous and next post]
 Alexander.Leostrife
サーバ: Alexander
user: Leostrife
By Alexander.Leostrife 2010-09-19 05:41:22  
Years ago, back when I did my group II merits for Drg, I used to think the description meant it increased the breath accuracy by five. Checked wiki recently and saw an explanation of the description:

* Game Description: Increases accuracy of wyvern's breath. Increases accuracy by 5.
* The first level of Strafe allows a Dragoon to enhance the accuracy (and therefore the resist rate) of their wyvern's breath, and increase their own accuracy.
* Each level of Strafe gives the Dragoon an additional 5 accuracy (e.g. 5 at level 1 and 10 at level 2), for a total of 25 accuracy at the maxed level.

Can anyone confirm the bold statement or has seen tests/pics on the subject?
First Page 2