MNK/DNC...observations/thoughts/suggestions?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » MNK/DNC...observations/thoughts/suggestions?
MNK/DNC...observations/thoughts/suggestions?
First Page 2
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-16 12:04:13  
I've been hearing from a few different people that MNK/DNC rocks...but I've never partied with one, nor has anyone in my LS actually done this themselves, so I'm looking for some first hand information or ideas as far as the feasibility of this combination, particularly for soloing.

My MNK is currently level 33, it was actually the first job I leveled when I first started playing the game, but I got bored with it, plus trying to get invites as one of many DD's before level-sync was awful (for me anyways). At any rate, I haven't touched it in literally 2 years, and after partying with MNK's again lately I'm kind of jonesing to play it again myself.

If anyone has any experience with soloing this combo, any suggestions as far as good places to solo at 33? Yuhtunga, or would that be a little rough (either for survivability or crap experience)? Also any gear suggestions? Should I go def/vitality or just go +acc (which I did when I partied with it back in the day) and try and beat them down before they beat me down?

Thanks for any input...
 Remora.Devek
サーバ: Remora
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-16 12:11:49  
Just try not to solo where exp parties camp.

There is a special place in hell for people that do that.
[+]
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-16 12:19:02  
Devek said:
Just try not to solo where exp parties camp.

Obviously...although, it's hard enough to party anymore without another party camping right on top of you or right around the corner regardless (off the subject, but I notice this a lot in Wajaom, wtf I mean I'm pretty new out there, but seems like that little bit of courtesy goes right out the window out there)
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-16 12:34:48  
Mnk/Dnc wouldn't be too bad for solo'ing, but I wouldn't suggest in it in a party or for tanking anything that hits decently hard. You have decent survivability if the hits are weak to the point that you can get tp fast enough to keep yourself healed. I use mnk/dnc to tank with in MMM Peon and Regular bosses, but the SM bosses hit MUCH harder and MUCH more accurately which makes /dnc pretty impossible. You should be able to solo EM and 'maybe' T mobs with mnk/dnc at that level. I'm not sure what that limits you to, but I know at 34 the mandies in Yuhtunga are DC.
 Fairy.Deist
user: Deist
By Fairy.Deist 2009-01-16 12:42:12  
http://genomeffxi.livejournal.com/17469.html

Just check it out, its what I use as a base for my MNK/DNC

Oh and this, same thing sorta - but the first was just showing what mnk/dnc is capable of. This is a the low down more or less for the overall mnkness

http://genomeffxi.livejournal.com/profile
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-16 12:54:21  
Tbest said:
Mnk/Dnc wouldn't be too bad for solo'ing, but I wouldn't suggest in it in a party or for tanking anything that hits decently hard.

I plan on soloing it primarily, although I may duo with an LS friend from time to time. It's just something for me to do when not leveling my main job (DNC)...I'm unemployed ATM (yay broken economy and failing business! {/cry}) so I have PLENTY of free time to screw around. Besides, I dunno, I'm weird in that I actually prefer to solo or duo/trio...less XP/hour doesn't bother me, I'm in no rush. ^^

Deist said:
http://genomeffxi.livejournal.com/17469.html...

Thanks for those links, TONS of info there; it's gonna take me a while to get through it all lol ^^
 Remora.Devek
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-16 12:56:15  
Genome.

http://forums.ffxiclopedia.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14713

The only person who would ask, in 2008, if Togi was any good.

His perspective on monk won't apply to most people.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-16 13:20:52  
Yeah, I prefer to solo/duo/trio as well. I haven't been in an actual xp pt in quite awhile. Oh, and as far as gearing goes... I'd say gear like you would for a pt, throw on acc and haste first, then atk/str and switch out gear for ws's.
 Asura.Zekky
サーバ: Asura
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-01-16 14:27:58  
From my own personal experience with MNK/DNC, I'm in love with using /DNC for a lot of solo things I do on my MNK. With a current +18% Haste build, I can rake in enough TP to supply Drain Samba and Curing Waltz to keep me alive. And unlike /NIN where you'd need Echo Drops if/when you were silenced, the only thing you've got to be concern about is paralyze and/or amnesia.

When I go out to farm coffers or needed quests items or AF, I'm pretty much MNK/DNC now. The amount of DPS and self-reliance it has over my RDM/NIN is none comparable. Drain Samba II, Curing Waltz II, Healing Waltz, Sneak/Invis, steps that debuff your opponent... it's a great setup to having almost no downtime for anything you're doing. It's also a great combo to use in campaign to keep you alive.

From what I've encountered, I can solo Steelshells in The Boyahda Tree with minor difficulty and I've done BRD AF and PLD AF final fights and numerous other NMS with MNK/DNC.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-16 14:41:28  
Yeah, like I said, it's wonderful for anything that is close to your level or much lower. It's when you start taking damage around 200, 300, or even more per hit that it loses its viability because there's really no way that you can keep yourself cured at that point no matter how fast you hit the mob. At the moment on my character I have +21% haste and won't fight things that are 'too' hard with /dnc, I switch to /nin for that. Everything is situational when you look at it, and /dnc on mnk is no different. =)
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2009-01-16 14:57:56  
Never Merit with /Dnc, I dnt even suggest Low Level Party with /Dnc else you really have too cure people!

Otherwise stick with /nin or /war!

Solo/skill up pts the SJ is great use there other wise No use in the endgame/merit/Exp party world
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-01-16 15:06:10  
MNK/DNC is my main as I usually solo. I'm currently at MNK 50, trying to get past LB1.

Getting the spectral jig at 25 for DNC is very helpful and economical. I was able to unlock the cavernous maws solo with it easily, instead of worrying if I'd have enough silent/prisms on me.

By playing solo, you get to build your guard skill with MNK. /DNC will work against that with the evasion bonus, but that can be counteracted with -evasion gear and, of course, targeting the correct mobs for skill ups. Since it levels so slowly, you're often fighting mobs tougher than you can really get skillups for, so it seems to happen more during farming. But, some of the equipment beyond 50 seems to offer a lot of +guard, which might be really helpful with that problem?

With /DNC, you're not going to be using WS very much on any reasonably challenging mob. One thing I like to do is play while I'm doing dishes or cooking dinner. Just cure occasionally and let it auto-attack, especially for mobs that MNK is not very strong against... like slimes or elementals. Those matches take a while, so it's comforting to tune out a bit while you do it.

I think everything that I've said is pretty common, but wanted to offer my $0.02 since I enjoy the combination!
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-16 15:29:56  
Thanks for the input everyone! I really <3 DNC (gonna be my first 75 ^^) and it seems like for solo purposes it really is a fantastic subjob for any 30+ melee jobs.
 Caitsith.Megara
サーバ: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Megara 2009-01-16 18:42:02  
mnk/nin only and merit invigorate to cap

/dnc will get hit too much and you will not have the TP to solo a T+ mob like you can with a /nin in evasion setup.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-01-16 19:48:05  
/nin for anything serious
/dnc for campaign and things like LV'ing npc that are too weak to waste shihei on.
 Fairy.Blackmist
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-01-16 21:15:41  
Ive done Mnk/dnc a Bit its great for solo if you know what you are doing & get tp fast enough. With Tav tacos Mnk/dnc can even solo EM+ > T's "managed to tank newton monopolice or w/e w/ EM > T mobs with little trouble, :3 just keep Chakra and Vit gear for emergency

[lvl 33 how ever i would focus on Quf. useing Fov /dnc or nin if you are good at manageing shadows, and have eva gear
 Fairy.Bobbit
user:
By Fairy.Bobbit 2009-01-16 23:03:50
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

All this talk of no /dnc in merit parties is nonsense tbh. With the right party setups /dnc can be quite useful in a merit party.

A couple of my favourite setups i've had with myself on mnk/dnc are; drg x3, brd, war and mnk/dnc in Mount Zhayolm on trolls was not only fun, but good exp. Of course you can swap brd for cor and just have any job /war replace the war for the initial voke. Another good setup i've had was mnk/dnc, brd x2 with a combination of 3 war or mnks with nin sub jobs at the Greater Colibri camps. One brd comes /nin for pulling while the other comes /whm to help the mnk cure, yes I main healed with this setup. The fact the 4/6 of the party is /nin means there isn't much need for curing, especially since the mobs die so quickly. Again it's not only good for exp, but it's also fun.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [916 days between previous and next post]
 Fenrir.Lillaly
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Lillaly 2011-07-22 11:51:17  
*Casts Raise III on this thread*

Also this thread is now about Relavent MNK SJ's
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-07-22 11:53:42  
/war 99% of the time

/nin the other 1%
[+]
 Sylph.Keion
user: bassplay
By Sylph.Keion 2011-07-22 11:54:53  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
/war 99% of the time /nin the other 1%
^, what he said

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-07-22 12:04:48  
You wont solo certain mobs or nms sub war or sub nin it really does depend on what youre doing. Soloed Ix Drk as mnk/dnc you wouldnt do that with any other sub job. To be totally honest im sub nin about 40% sub war 20% and sub dnc about 40% for all time im on mnk now whatever I may be doing. Last two VV/Beyond/Konst zone boss win shouts I lead I actually went mnk/blm lol.

If youre gonna low man for seals say mnk whm blm blu, id have whm sub rdm, blm/brd, blu/thf and mnk has to sub nin then to cover last of the potential procs.

As for zerging or just low manning one dd subbing dnc so all dds can benefit from haste samba might be an idea. Usually 4 man justice rdm blm thf mnk, thf would sub nin and I would mnk/dnc. To be honest better person here to sub dnc would of been the thf with me going mnk/war. But Im sure with a party of more dds, one dd subbing dnc for haste samba would overall be more beneficial to the total dmg than if that dd subbed war.

Low man zerging with less dd makes the survival of the dds even more important. I have to be honest ive got totally raped mnk/war against kirin when we tried no perfect defense once purely down to deadly hold spam where ive tried it mnk/nin and had shadows absorb the potential dmg. Youre gonna kill it either subjob before his helpers pop you may as well use a sub job which is less likely to get you killed than for epeen ws numbers tbh, this is assuming you havent managed to find someone to perfect defense you. Barfire for heatbreath, melee hits interrupt all spells and shadows are taking the dmg from deadly hold only leaves the wind attack left and his 2hour.

Duo temperance once with a rdm/whm friend as mnk/dnc, simply cannot argue a better subjob for this fight when you need to keep swapping weapons and your tp is reset anyway you may as well build steps and haste samba, as well as healing waltz being very handy if the rdm gets hit by an unfortunate petrify. Reverse flourish when its weak to blunt and you swap back to vereth.
 Bismarck.Moonlightespada
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Moonlightespada 2011-07-22 12:08:59  
Only usually /dnc if the leader of w/e I'm doing asks us to but 90% of thhe time I'm /war. Tho /dnc dose have it's advantages especially on nms/mobs with poison ie: Serket (easy solo now lol)
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-07-22 12:51:50  
Quote:
As for zerging or just low manning one dd subbing dnc so all dds can benefit from haste samba might be an idea.

And the weakest dd should be the one subbing dnc in this situation.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-07-22 12:52:43  
Bismarck.Moonlightespada said:
Only usually /dnc if the leader of w/e I'm doing asks us to but 90% of thhe time I'm /war. Tho /dnc dose have it's advantages especially on nms/mobs with poison ie: Serket (easy solo now lol)
Serket was easy to solo at 75 and having done it with both /nin and /dnc, /nin was not only easier, but also took less time to kill it.

Antidotes say hi to poison.
 Fenrir.Vazerus
user: Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2011-07-22 13:00:23  
/war most of the time.
/nin for hard stuff, I never use it though.
/dnc for procing in neo-dynamis.
 Fenrir.Lillaly
By Fenrir.Lillaly 2011-07-22 14:13:25  
so im just getting back into the whole DD in aby thing, what makes the /war more appealing over /nin's survivability?

i mean im not complaining i always loved /war but never got to back in the lolibri days
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-07-22 14:24:49  
Fenrir.Lillaly said:
so im just getting back into the whole DD in aby thing, what makes the /war more appealing over /nin's survivability?

No, the opposite generally. Sub nin or dnc could possibly give you more survivability sub war is to increase dd output.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-07-22 14:27:52  
Sylph.Krsone said:
Fenrir.Lillaly said:

No, the opposite generally. Sub nin or dnc could possibly give you more survivability sub war is to increase dd output.
? I don't understand what you're getting at here(or maybe I'm misunderstanding your post). You do realize he was saying /nin has more survivability, no?
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-07-22 14:32:04  
Yar I read it as "what makes /war more appealing over /nin, survivability?".
First Page 2