users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Ranger Gear Question
Ranger Gear Question
 Asura.Revelation
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Oric
By Asura.Revelation 2010-07-19 16:13:23  
Just had a few questions on some gear choices for Ranger.

#1. I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times in numerous different threads, but I am currently using ACP Body with RAtt and Snapshot. What I wanted to know is did I make the wrong choice? Should I have gone with RAtt + RAcc or some other option?

#2. Is Aurore Beret a viable head piece to use on Ranger? I understand the Snapshot effect on the piece is probably not worth using up an entire head slot, correct me if i'm wrong, for only around 2%(Assumption, couldn't find info on this). But is it worth it IF combined with the augment on ACP body(and merits of course)? Or does AMK head still blow it out of the water?

#3. Currently I'm using Byakko's Haidate. I'm usually not meleeing, so It's not my best option, but it was free and I already had it when I reached 75. I'm working on getting Scout's Braccae atm, but I've been looking at Aurore Brais and the +9RAcc is looking pretty good. Any opinions on these pants? Just curious because I haven't really noticed any Rangers wearig them.

#4. Lastly, a little off topic, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of STP I need for "X hit build". If you need any info, i'm using E bow(490 delay) and Kabura Arrows (90 delay).

Thanks in advance,

Rev
 Sylph.Washburn
サーバ: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2010-07-19 16:29:59  
Well, hit 80 and honestly, with abyssea XP, you should merit snapshot and rapid shot first. once those are capped, worry about gear.

I chose Rattk on body along with snapshot just do to the simple fact that I have capped archery merits, and would benefit more from the increase in damage.

Without knowing for sure if the aurore beret is 2% snapshot or whatnot, there's no way to be 100% sure which is better. I would take an educated guess and say that, well, Za'Gho's Barbut is the best, followed by AMK head then Aurore hat. the only thing aurore hat has that AMK head has on AMK head is the 4 AGI.

Lose the Byakko's Haidate (for rng) RNG dosent benefit from DEX or Haste (except utsusemi recast). The AMA legs with RNG acc and RNG attk + 7 are better than the Scout's Braccae. I, personally prefer Hachiryu Haidate, but hey, that's expensive ***.

Ditch the Ebow/Vbow and work on Magian trial bow... there's several variations of it that blow a Vbow out of the water. All it costs is time and dedication. Some people have spent more time camping that, then they've spent on trial weapons.

As far as the store TP, i'm not too sure what's what right now with all the trial weapons and new arrows and whatnot. I know higher delay = more TP, and store TP from Aurore, i THINK, requires 5/5 pieces, unlike Hachiryu Legs + Feet = 5 store TP. "Set" requirements dosent always meaning you need every piece of that set to gain the benefit.
 Ramuh.Ilvex
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Ilvex
By Ramuh.Ilvex 2010-07-19 16:30:26  
1. It's fine, I ace ratt/racc on mine but I don't have osode so it's full time for me. If you have osode sit k with the snapshot I guess.

2.The head is alright for too g I guess if you don't need acc from the options. J use barbut so it's no use to me personally. Amk head is the best ws piece with the right augments. What are you using now?

3. Yes please swap to the new legs or dusk legs
I use scouts unless I feel I need the extra 3 acc from dusk (which the only reason I have is for dd rdm in campaign)

4. On my iPhone so can't figure that out ATM.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-19 16:37:44  
You guys forget about snapshot head and body from syngeries yo!
 Sylph.Washburn
サーバ: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2010-07-19 16:55:32  
Well i have no idea what the % is on the Ebon pieces. I woudlnt think they would be higher than that of the expansion pieces since that's the selling point of the expansions.

That and since i've got Double Shot, Meditate, Conserve TP, Switching gear has been a pain in the taint to get TP 5 seconds faster so i can pull hate and die sooner. Snapshot set seems safer to leave off on old lv 75 events like einherjar, sea, sky etc.

And also, always always always stack AGI before STR. I've been RNG for over 6 years and i've tried it all, but my parses have been at the highest with an AGI stack on both WS and TP setups. simply due to the fact that landing the shots is what gets you TP and the DMG, and in endgame, the mobs are usually higher level by 5 or 10 levels and you miss a bit more than normal. also, you can make up for the lostt of DMG by eating food, and all RNG WS's with the exception of namas arrow has AGI as the main mod (25% AGI / 16% STR)

Afterall, what's the point in hitting something for 5-10 more DMG per hit if you miss every 5th arrow? dosent add up. stick to landing shots. you'll win.
Here's my setups:

Snapshot

Weaponskill
 Bismarck.Aryden
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-07-19 19:13:24  
Quote:
And also, always always always stack AGI before STR. I've been RNG for over 6 years and i've tried it all, but my parses have been at the highest with an AGI stack on both WS and TP setups. simply due to the fact that landing the shots is what gets you TP and the DMG, and in endgame, the mobs are usually higher level by 5 or 10 levels and you miss a bit more than normal. also, you can make up for the lostt of DMG by eating food, and all RNG WS's with the exception of namas arrow has AGI as the main mod (25% AGI / 16% STR)

Afterall, what's the point in hitting something for 5-10 more DMG per hit if you miss every 5th arrow? dosent add up. stick to landing shots. you'll win.
Here's my setups:

Wait what? Stack agi over STR for archery? the ONLY time you would EVER do something like that is if you are already at the str cap AND Pdif cap.

Missing 1 out of ever 5 shots means you're parsing 80% accuracy. With Mermans rings, scout's belt, and CFG's as my only racc pieces, i havent parsed that low in a very long time. My current tp setup is:

Ws setup is:

Both sets are supposed to have scout's belt, but for some reason the tp setup isnt updating properly.

Its extremely rare that I get outparsed by another Rng, and those usually have a relic.

---For archery---
I'm sure you put up some good numbers, but maining S.kote and Alt/Wil's isnt doing much for you. Scout's socks > Haci feet, CFG/BFG > S.kote, Triumphs > Alt's/ Wil's

For marksmanship, your set is fine, but still, tping in all that agi is helping to kill your DoT.

Quote:
#1. I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times in numerous different threads, but I am currently using ACP Body with RAtt and Snapshot. What I wanted to know is did I make the wrong choice? Should I have gone with RAtt + RAcc or some other option?

#2. Is Aurore Beret a viable head piece to use on Ranger? I understand the Snapshot effect on the piece is probably not worth using up an entire head slot, correct me if i'm wrong, for only around 2%(Assumption, couldn't find info on this). But is it worth it IF combined with the augment on ACP body(and merits of course)? Or does AMK head still blow it out of the water?

#3. Currently I'm using Byakko's Haidate. I'm usually not meleeing, so It's not my best option, but it was free and I already had it when I reached 75. I'm working on getting Scout's Braccae atm, but I've been looking at Aurore Brais and the +9RAcc is looking pretty good. Any opinions on these pants? Just curious because I haven't really noticed any Rangers wearig them.

#4. Lastly, a little off topic, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of STP I need for "X hit build". If you need any info, i'm using E bow(490 delay) and Kabura Arrows (90 delay).

@ #1 Ok, here's the deal, Racc acc can be picked up in roughly the same amount from AF 1 body so Ratt and SS are your best bets here.

@ #2 Headpieces should be in the following order: ZhaGho's Barbut > Anwig (3%)** > Aurore > Hunter's Beret
** Anwig is best for ws build, SS and rapid shot can be gained from other pieces.

@ #3 Aurore Brais are a suitable replacement for Scout's in the tp phase if you really need the racc but do next to nothing for you in a ws build. I would try for something reasonably easy like Enkidu;s subligar for ws's.

@ #4 your x-hit build is best explaing by:
Quote:
Thresholds for x-hit build

8-hit: 12.5 TP/hit
7-hit: 14.3 TP/hit
6-hit: 16.7 TP/hit
5-hit: 20.0 TP/hit
4-hit: 25.0 TP/hit
3-hit: 33.4 TP/hit

Bow (with 90 delay arrows)

490 delay bow: 14.8 base TP / 15.0 base TP with 120 delay PPA
6-hit: STP+13 / STP+12 for PPA WS
5-hit: STP+36 / STP+34 for PPA WS
4-hit: STP+69 / STP+67 for PPA WS

524 delay bow: 15.1 base TP / 15.2 base TP with 120 delay PPA
6-hit: STP+11 / STP+10 for PPA WS
5-hit: STP+33 / STP+32 for PPA WS
4-hit: STP+66 / STP+65 for PPA WS

540 delay bow: 15.2 base TP / 15.4 base TP with 120 delay PPA
6-hit: STP+10 / STP+9 for PPA WS
5-hit: STP+32 / STP+30 for PPA WS
4-hit: STP+65 / STP+63 for PPA WS

600 delay bow: 15.6 base TP / 15.9 base TP with 120 delay PPA
6-hit: STP+8 / STP+6 for PPA WS
5-hit: STP+29 / STP+26 for PPA WS
4-hit: STP+61 / STP+58 for PPA WS

Gun (with 240 delay bullets)

480 delay gun: 15.9 base TP
6-hit: STP+6
5-hit: STP+26
4-hit: STP+58

582 delay gun: 16.6 base TP
6-hit: STP+1
5-hit: STP+21
4-hit: STP+51

600 delay gun: 16.8 base TP
5-hit: STP+20
4-hit: STP+49

640 delay gun: 17.1 base TP
5-hit: STP+17
4-hit: STP+47

660 delay gun: 17.2 base TP
5-hit: STP+17
4-hit: STP+46

Crossbow (with 192 delay bolts)

280 delay crossbow: 12.6 base TP / 10.7 base TP with 140 delay GMB
7-hit: STP+14 / STP+34 for GMB WS
6-hit: STP+33 / STP+57 for GMB WS
5-hit: STP+59 / STP+87 for GMB WS

288 delay crossbow: 13.0 base TP / 10.9 base TP with 140 delay GMB
7-hit: STP+10 / STP+32 for GMB WS
6-hit: STP+29 / STP+54 for GMB WS
5-hit: STP+54 / STP+84 for GMB WS

432 delay crossbow: 15.2 base TP / 14.8 base TP with 140 delay GMB
6-hit: STP+10 / STP+13 for GMB WS
5-hit: STP+32 / STP+36 for GMB WS
4-hit: STP+65 / STP+69 for GMB WS

Cannon (any ammo is over 999 delay TP cap)
Any cannon/shell: 17.9 base TP
5-hit: STP+12
4-hit: STP+40
3-hit: STP+87

Thanks to Redvenomweb of Allakhazam for putting that together for us. He is giving the total STP needed, so if you are subbing SAM, always count the 15 STP you are getting natively.

As far as bows go, right now, its pretty easy to get a group of 3-5 people together and go farm Chukwa for a siege bow whenever you have the chance. The drop rate is fairly decent, we've gotten 4 along with a creed collar so far.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-07-19 19:27:10  
Dusk Legs are an often overlooked TP piece, but I still quite like them. I've been rocking the +1 for a long time, and the +11 boost in one slot means I can focus a little more on attack than I otherwise could. The NQ is relative cheap nowadays, and would be an upgrade from Scout's (-Enmity is nice, but ultimately pointless. You don't see DRKs or SAMs using -Enmity, so why should a RNG?)

And lol, AGI over Attack for TP? Exactly what does AGI do for any RNG's TP phase other than provide accuracy you can get bigger benefits from on other slights with less of a sacrifice than a beautiful 10 Ratt (Scout's Socks.) Heck, I use Dusk Legs +1, Faith Torque, Jalzahn's Ring and Scout's Belt with TP. That's my only accuracy gear... And the last time I parsed below 90% accuracy was a very long time ago.

Even if you are struggling with accuracy, why on earth would you use Agility, when you can just get accuracy instead?

And even on WS, STR > AGI, unless you're at the STR cap. And on RNG, that is highly unlikely, since that cap is so high.
 Bismarck.Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-07-19 19:36:42  
Quote:
-Enmity is nice, but ultimately pointless. You don't see DRKs or SAMs using -Enmity, so why should a RNG?

-enmity is NOT useless to us. We have only 1 way of mitigating hate and thats the use of camouflage, -enmity means that we can fire more shots in the same amount of time doing more dmg, and piling up less hate. This is not saying you should focus on -enmity, but anywhere you can get it without sacrificing your dmg too much is awesome.

GD enter key....

Anyway, other dd jobs have tools for staying alive, Dark has stun, sleep and drain, war's have defender, monks have counter, sams have seigan + thirdeye. These all are not dependant upon their subjob, which a rng is.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-19 19:39:18  
Str cap on isn't that high. Newer high dmg guns will cap at 52dstr 64 on the bows.

Thats with highest dmg trial weapons. It goes down a bit for most weapongs you will doing. For example the 2-3 gun caps at 32dstr
 Bismarck.Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-07-19 19:45:45  
Higher Vit mobs means higher str to hit them harder. Till i hit the Fstr cap on AV, i'm not happy...