users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » Fencer, Retaliation and Tanking
Fencer, Retaliation and Tanking
 Carbuncle.Axle
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-06-25 17:26:38  
You make retaliation cry if you use a single axe. Great axe gives so much more tp when it procs.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-25 17:29:11  
Sylph.Akibakei said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
No use at all other than messing around with it for fun.

You wont keep hate as you get hit all the time, losing all your CE.
You need to do alot of dmg to gain hate, and if you gear for defence, you wont deal alot of dmg, and you wont get any hate anyways.

I am just not the kinda person to dismiss something just because no one does it. No one in the game used Haste gear at first. No War used GA at first. With ALL the enmity, defense, damage minus gear War has MAYBE we can find a use for Fencer and Retaliation.
He's not dismissing it because nobody does it, he's dismissing it because it legitimately doesn't work and gave the reason why. Your CE generation would be completely and utterly *** by the damage you take as a blood tank relying on damage to generate CE. PDT gear does not give much in the way of offensive stats, so while you're staying alive you're generating even less enmity.
Ragnarok.Ruklin said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Valo said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Fencer only works with one-handed weapons so if you want to drop a GA in exchange for an axe, you're going to lose a lot of damage.
Aye but isn't that how SE views non-blink tanks? They all take hits fairly well but aren't able to dish out that much in dmg in return relatively speaking compared to other DDs? I'd say if your a war gearing to be a tank using Retaliation/Fencer then your gonna drop a lot of damage simply because you've decided to become a tank.
I see what you're saying but obviously Atonement has turned that upside down. PLD would be both a better tank and a better DD than a WAR with a single axe.
That's not entirely true Ent. Throw on the OAT axe from Magians and a war will ws more then the pld due to having retaliation as well. Rampage will likely crit more consistently from Fencer JT so they will also do much more then 750 more often. My rampages before i switched to GA full time were 1k regularly.
You're not doing that on anything that justifies a true tank and especially not with an OAT axe. Further, you don't WS in enmity gear like PLD can and should with Atonement.
various.people said:
PLD/WAR
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-06-25 19:11:50  
Maybe the OP means having something like WAR/DNC, with waltzing and animated flourishes in addition to Provoke for CE and VE generation. Sadly this all hinges on the proc rate of Retaliation and DA, as WAR doesn't get Shield Mastery for extra TP like PLD, and TP will be used up so often that WSing for damage might not (won't) occur enough to generate needed enmity (depending on the gimpness of the DD's.)

But honestly, as others mentioned, Fencer seems most likely included to be part of the WAR-sub package for higher-levels.
 Leviathan.Ayrlie
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Kimmy78
By Leviathan.Ayrlie 2010-07-10 02:22:42  
war/thf with SA+TA+Rampage

that is what Fencer is for
 Shiva.Daimos
サーバ: Shiva
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-07-10 02:27:09  
Leviathan.Ayrlie said:
war/thf with SA TA Rampage

that is what Fencer is for

SA with a crit based WS...

It's obviously supposed to be used with Calamity :P
 Fenrir.Mankey
By Fenrir.Mankey 2010-07-10 02:33:09  
Great Axe
 Diabolos.Obliterate
サーバ: Diabolos
user: TBMC
By Diabolos.Obliterate 2010-07-23 14:49:04  
Pld is the best all around tank and will probably be that way until the servers shut down. Now that that is out of the way, there is nothing wrong with exploring the possibility of war tanking. As a war myself I am interested in seeing what war can do at its full tanking potential.

As of now at 80 war shield skill caps at 255 with no merits or gear and just gained the two new job traits shield mastery and shield defense bonus. Fencer is a small edition and imo doesn't really help war at all, even for tanking. Restraint I feel is going to make sense in future updates because as of now it makes no sense at all. Now like most of you have quoted to be an efficient tank you need to sub nin and blink tank. With the edition of shield mastery it makes it possible for war to be able to get shadows up alot easier. They also can reach a currently higher haste cap than pld can lowering the recast time.

The problem with war is it is currently hard for them to hold hate on most eg enemies because all they have at the moment is provoke and their damage to hold hate for them. I wouldnt count war out just yet though, all it will take is one job ability or weapon skill and they would be at the top with pld as best tank. A weapon skill comparible to atonement would instantly put war up top with pld.

War also has tons of different gearing options from a mix of pdt, haste, gaxe, axe and shield and enmity builds so depending on what SE decides to give war in the upcoming updates the correct way to gear would be more clear. Here are a few builds I thought of:

Now as I was building these it is incredibly hard to resist the natural dd want of wanting to add haste, especially for nin recast but I just wanted to show a little of the enmity and pdt potential of war. Both the weapons would be the trial of magians pdt paths. Any other gearsets or ideas I'd be glad to hear.

p.s Please don't add any just level pld or forget war tanking war is DD onry comments, I have pld leveled and I dont enjoy playing it as much as war. War was meant to be a versatile job not just a dd and thats hopefully how it will turn out to be.
[+]
 Caitsith.Linear
サーバ: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-07-23 15:13:37  

Single Wield WAR set. DMG+18 and OAT on Richardet's Axe. Capped Haste.