フォーラム » FFXI » General » Lightsaber!
Lightsaber!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-08-04 02:00:51  
Friend comes over, "Hey dude, oh sweet, cool toy lightsaber." *lights it up* "*** *** *** *** MY EYES MY EEEEYES"
 Asura.Remorazz
サーバ: Asura
user: Remorazz
By Asura.Remorazz 2010-08-04 02:43:26  
I would try something similar to this...

Skip to one minute 25 seconds.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-04 04:39:34  
 Caitsith.Heimdall
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-08-04 14:06:03  
ok so watched the vid of how to make a light saber. My question is wouldnt it shattter on the first thing you hit with it whether another saber or anythign else it didnt burn through fast enough?
 Cerberus.Thejew
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Thejew
By Cerberus.Thejew 2010-08-04 14:15:25  
Must have.... /orders one, bets on how long till I go blind?
I got 2 hours.
 Fenrir.Terminus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-08-04 14:37:03  
Odin.Blazza said:
Terminus, I'm assuming with all that research you did, you must have forgotten to read the warning page that's on the actual site selling the damn things. I don't know about death, but these can and will permanently blind you. From just a quick, accidental flash in the eyes. The constant beam means you could potentially blind a whole crowd of people in a matter of seconds, yet they're apparently perfectly legal for anyone to own and take with them wherever they like?

In fact, did you even look at those links you posted yourself? There's no relevance. The hobbyist one mostly links to, as Jaerik mentioned in his OP, 1-5 mW lasers for graphics and laser shows, which can be dangerous, yet this is 1000x that amount.

The second one mostly links to what happens when a doctor *** up with a surgical laser, and the third one, I have no idea what that's supposed to be about?

I don't understand why you're so adamantly defending something that you yourself obviously know very little about.

You know, I don't really remember. My first point was that "I can't think of a use" or "I can't think of the societal gains" are *** defenses. I don't really care if my 15 seconds of googling hit or missed.

Secondly, the idea that it's dangerous means it should be illegal is stupid. Because EVERYTHING is dangerous.

And you're right, I don't know thing one about lasers, let alone powerful ones like this. I am defending - poorly, and probably futilely - the idea that the world is in fact more hazardous than the ball pit at Chuck E. Cheese, and that that's okay.

Edit: Also, it's kind of funny. The people openly drooling over this, joking about going blind, etc get a free pass. Where, incidentally, I actually don't think most people should have one, and I get the wrath. Funny world.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [37 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-10 17:01:10  
For those still wondering about this, after an incredibly long wait, the thing finally showed up yesterday. After charging for several hours, I stupidly brought it to work, at which point coworkers used it to melt holes in the black wire mesh backs of our conference room chairs, and decapitate a stuffed pink pony that a female coworker left when she quit.

The beam is so bright that it's visible in daylight, and at night it's essentially a thin solid bar of light. The dot on the target, if shone at a light-colored surface like a white wall, is too bright to look at for long and leaves after-images when you blink for a few minutes.

Letting the tip of my finger even lightly brush the edge of the beam for a second, as a test, felt like touching an electric stove, and continued to sting for several hours.

The beam is so hot and so narrow, it's not very effective at setting anything on fire. It tends to simply char and/or melt anything it's held on for over a second instead. For example, shining it at a dried leaf does not make the leaf catch fire, but rather burns a still-smoldering hole through it so quickly, it doesn't have a chance to ignite. The darker the object, the more energy absorption, and the better the burn. It's easy to melt thick black plastic -- surprisingly hard to burn white paper.

Long story short, it's an incredibly dangerous toy. Having the beam brush your eye, even off an accidentally reflective surface like a window, is instantly and permanently blinding, so you need to wear the included safety goggles at all times. This makes it difficult to show off to friends or use outside without putting them or your neighborhood at risk, as the beam has an estimated range of 60-100 miles.
 Ramuh.Laffter
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-09-10 17:02:32  
Oh wow.

I kind of saw it coming, though.
 Bahamut.Nixak
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Nixak
By Bahamut.Nixak 2010-09-10 17:03:33  
That is so cool.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-10 17:08:10  
Ok so....goggles, that thing should no allowed for the public ;(.

I can imagine some idiot from my family using that as a tool and blinding themselves.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-10 17:09:08  
It's not very effective as a potential weapon. Unlike a commercial laser pointer, which turns on and off with a button press, this laser has a complex, built-in locking mechanism required by law. You need to push a button on the end cap, and then enter a fairly complex sequence of short and long button presses halfway up the "hilt" to get it to even activate.

At that point, it's on, but only at 10% power. You need to enter another button code to get it to 100%.

And once it's on, it's ON. The only way to shut it off is to deactivate it entirely, requiring the entire sequence again.
 Ramuh.Laffter
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-09-10 17:11:18  
Well, if anyone buys one that shouldn't, just hide the manual and you're good. :P
By Flionheart 2010-09-10 17:14:36  
Be interested to see a vid if you ever get round to it :o
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-09-10 17:18:43  
damn, 60-100-mile range??? That's crazy. Not that I'd suggest you try this, but what happens if you reflect it using a mirror? Or would it go through the mirror?!!? OR BOTH!?
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-10 17:21:23  
Ragnarok.Anye said:
damn, 60-100-mile range??? That's crazy. Not that I'd suggest you try this, but what happens if you reflect it using a mirror? Or would it go through the mirror?!!? OR BOTH!?

It is light, there is a high chance it would reflect back, and if there is more than one reflective surface in the room it would probably bounce around it is that powerful.

This is a hand-held laser that normal people can buy, I can imagine it bouncing everywhere, then if someone goes in the room... ouch.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-10 17:21:45  
Not my video but pretty accurate:

As you can see, it tends not to ignite things. (Except say, a match head, which is designed to.) It's too hot and too narrow. It cuts, melts, or chars them instead.

And as for Anye's question, pretty much what Stan said. If you have any reflective surface in your room, even partially reflective like a transparent window, it can bounce around in unpredictable ways. Of course, it travels at the speed of light, so there's no time to react before it's too late. There's really no safe place to aim it -- shine it down at your carpet for too long and you'll burn your carpet -- so it's pretty unwieldy as a toy.

Even making absolutely sure there's nothing reflective in the way, the "dot" of scattered light itself is so bright on a light-colored surface, it'll make your eyes ache and leave after-images after only a couple seconds.
 Phoenix.Amael
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2010-09-10 17:23:49  
I WANT ONE!!!! 60-100miles range? OMG /brainstorm
<---------- Avatar related
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-10 17:26:23  
Phoenix.Amael said:
I WANT ONE!!!! 60-100miles range? OMG /brainstorm
<---------- Avatar related

please do not use it around anyone.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-10 17:31:32  
Have to admit, the laser housing is a pretty cool design. I estimate about 9-10" long.

Seems to be made out of a high-grade iodized aluminum or steel, so it has pretty decent heft.
 Fenrir.Xeonerable
By Fenrir.Xeonerable 2010-09-10 17:31:51  
seems like it could be a handy cutting tool?
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-09-10 17:33:59  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Not my video but pretty accurate:

HOLY CRAP--the LED was the best.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-10 17:44:18  
Fenrir.Xeonerable said:
seems like it could be a handy cutting tool?

Yeah, could probably cut tree branches too :D.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-10 17:50:23  
It would be a fun cutting tool, but I'm sure another tool would be more effective in just about every instance.

Honestly, the thing has no usefulness whatsoever. It's too powerful for a laser pointer, too dangerous as a demo toy, too concentrated to ignite things, and too unwieldy as a weapon.

It's just incredibly cool. That's about it.
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-09-10 17:58:05  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
It would be a fun cutting tool, but I'm sure another tool would be more effective in just about every instance.

Honestly, the thing has no usefulness whatsoever. It's too powerful for a laser pointer, too dangerous as a demo toy, too concentrated to ignite things, and too unwieldy as a weapon.

Ok. Sold! Off work in 4 hours... so, what, 4-6 weeks + 4 hours from now... YES!
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2010-09-10 18:03:49  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

But can it cut your sons hand off, after refusing to join you in your plans of universe domination.