And TH
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-05 08:41:19  
To OP:

To make a long story short, download this http://www.ffxicalculator.com/

go to stats>choose job, input your stats dex, food you are using and mob level etc. try to get 95% acc, after that throw all the haste you can get.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-05 09:03:15  
Bad advice. Should wear as much Haste as possible then swap pieces for accuracy if it's really really needed after food.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-06-05 09:41:18  
Midgardsormr.Katashuro said:
I heard CHR increses the haste rate!

CHR reduces the chance you'll get aggro'd by monsters. Why?

The more charismatic you are, the more the monster thinks "that guy looks really cool, I don't wanna mess with him".

So why do Mithra have such low CHR? Cause the monsters are like "I really wanna bite that ***".
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-05 09:57:40  
They never aggro your hume though lol
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-05 10:07:17  
Raen is the one aggroing them kitties
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-05 10:18:41  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Bad advice. Should wear as much Haste as possible then swap pieces for accuracy if it's really really needed after food.

That's the same thing in other words -.-
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-05 12:42:28  
Bismarck.Ihina said:
It would have been pretty childish to go back on your word again, huh? Once is plenty per topic.

Were you trying to describe yourself here or what? Pretty sure this is you, not Tigerwoods. You've realized multiple times in this thread that you were wrong, and you've even gone back on your word to admit it multiple times.

Bismarck.Ihina said:
Enfeebling torques are 800k on my server, which is what a rdm should aim for.

Because, the RDMs using Spider Torques have definitely upgraded all of their buyable gear options right? Or maybe, 2 enfeebling skill is going to be the most important thing they need. Not like, a terra's or auster's staff, or something like that, that would give a bigger benefit. You've got horrible logic.

Bismarck.Ihina said:
Enjoy being gimp. If wanting and expecting good gear will turn away certain people, then it's better off I don't become acquainted with them. There are more than enough people who value and can respect other people for the hard work and dedicated the put into their character. You'll see that when you hit endgame.

Enjoy being gimp? Haha, okay. I know this wasn't directed to me, but really Iniha. I see you have a Toreador's Ring there? Oh, nice Fire Bomblet too. Sweet Chuchalain's Mantle! That Love Torque is really nice too. May I ask what gear you used before obtaining all of that? From the point you hit 75 to the point you obtained said gear? Oh right, you won't list them because you know you've been wrong this whole thread.
[+]
 Bahamut.Nixak
user: Nixak
By Bahamut.Nixak 2010-06-05 12:55:46  
[+]
 Remora.Laphine
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-06-05 13:08:47  
Ah new day, but not new lolz ><

I posted math back on pages 5/6, guess i'll copy pasta here and work on it a bit more since no one cared to do it.

I'll use 23% DW and 13 stp from skadi rajas brutal combo.
Merits: 4 str 1 dex
Mithra tp: str=79 (66+13); dex= 96 (81+15)
Mithra ws: str=115 (66+49); dex= 115 (81+34); chr = 46
Target: Colibri (67 vit). Cats likes birds

Comparing dps:
fstr= (79-67)/4 =3
pharpe/blau dps = (37+33+3+3)*60/ 298 = 15.302

blau/sk dps = (33+26+3+3)*60/ 252 = 15.476

15.476/15.302 = 0.01137
Blau/SK has 1.137% higher dps

Comparing ws damage:

298 delay = 149 per hand = 4.7tp per hit or 5.3 with stp
252 delay = 126 per hand = 4.5tp per hit or 5.0 with stp

We can see here how Pharpe is favored by 13 stp cause it actually gets a boost on 0.6 tp/hit and SK only gets 0.5

First approach - tp/s way:
pharpe/blau tp/s = 5.3*60/149 = 2.1342
blau/sk tp/s = 5.0*60/126 = 2.3809

Blau/sk gains tp 11.56% faster. Still this is not % increase in ws damage.

Off to it:
Taking my set base ws damage on colibris.
Blau = 33 + 10 + 43 = 86
Sk = 26 + 10 + 43 = 79
Pharpe = 37 + 12 + 43 = 92

Pharpe/blau damage= 92*1.1875 ftp + 92*4 + 86 = 561
Blau/sk damage= 86*1.1875 ftp + 86*4 +79 = 525

525*2.3809/(561* 2.1342) = 1.04400

Blau/sk has 4.4% increase in ws damage not counting tp overflow.

A different approach (still not counting tp lost over 100) - number rounds to ws:

Pharpe/blau:
TP return on ws with 6 stp:
4.9+4.9 + 1.06*4 (4.2 tp from extra hits) = 14 tp
(100-14)/5.3 = 16.22, 17 hits to ws or 9 rounds.
Thf with 5% DA and 10% TA hits on avarage 1.145 times per hand.
Taking 17/1.145 we get 14.85 actual hits on avarage. This means if we ever were to hit 14.85 times, DA/TA would boost the number of hits to the amount necessary to ws.
14.75 base hits can only happen from 8 rounds. So DA/TA drops the necessary number of rounds to ws by 1.

Blau/sk:
TP return on ws with 6 stp:
4.7+4.7 + 4.2 = 13.6
(100-13.6)/5.0= 17.28, 18 hits to ws or 9 rounds.
18/1.145 we get 15.72 actual hits.The same 8 rounds to ws on avarage.

Since they need the same number of rounds the faster combo will win. Blau/SK is 18% faster which boosts its ws damage by 18%. On this case we can use 18% instead of 11% because we know they will have tp in the same number of rounds. So the one that acts faster ws faster.

525*1.18/561 = 1.1042

10.42% more ws damage compared to pharpe/blau.

A great difference between these approaches. With tp/s Pharpe/blau is favored, but if we take the actuall number of rounds to ws, Blau/sk is favored.

PS: i'm not sure on this DA/TA calculation, never seen an official way to do it. This method seems about right. Still if we don't take DA/TA into consideration, they need the same 9 rounds to ws, and this still favor Blau/sk.

If anyone can point out something wrong, please do, cause i'd like this discussion over. (well, seems like this thread is not so hot anymore lolz~)
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-05 14:06:58  
Good morning
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-05 18:02:47  
Good morning to you too! Good thing you posted a meaningless post just to show that you're not afraid or anything. I see Virtuosus is still obsessing over 'winning' this internet argument, I guess he didn't pay attention when I said being obsessive about it automatically means you lose.

But anyways, Laphine, (ignoring your second approach since it's void) thanks for doing the math that Tiger couldn't. We've already come to the conclusion that Blau/sirocco wins by a small margin, and I've already delivered my next challenge, it's on the previous page. This one's a bit tougher though, since it actually requires experience playing my job with the gear I have available to me. Does anyone want to take me up on it? Let's have a fun day today too.

Remember, everyone: in theory, everything works in practice as it does in theory.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-05 18:11:44  
So, back to my orig point. Wins by a small margin is still winning. Why do you go out of your way to use the weaker combo?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-05 18:15:48  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
So, back to my orig point. Wins by a small margin is still winning. Why do you go out of your way to use the weaker combo?

They obviously want to use PHarp/Blau because if they were to use Blau/Sirocco, they'll look too much like an average THF. They wouldn't want to be average ("gimp" in Iniha's eyes).

Edit: fixed post
[+]
 Remora.Laphine
By Remora.Laphine 2010-06-05 18:24:30  
why is the second approach void? Is it invalid because blau/sk beats harpe/blau by more? lol just curious here. If it's something wrong with the math, then i can accept it. Certainly that number might be overestimated because it didn't factor the probability of multi hits procing or hits missing. For a perfect number we would need to expand the math to the whole spectrum of probabilities, from 0 hits landing to 8.

What's the new challenge anyway? lol couldn't find. Didn't look thoroughly, but i'm curious about that too.
 Fenrir.Luarania
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-05 18:29:34  
So, for lack of better things to do I poke around, I dunno if this has been brought into the convo but he has actually pulled this crap before, well sorta, he started it instead.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=5691#348413

The funniest post from him I saw was
Bismarck.Ihina said:
I use P.harpe/blau for epeen purposes, but from what I understand, it parses nearly identical to Blau/Sirocco. P.harpe/sirocco is lol.

Seriously, Ihina just accept that you have lost and go away...
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-05 18:29:57  
Bismarck.Ihina said:
I see Virtuosus is still obsessing over 'winning' this internet argument, I guess he didn't pay attention when I said being obsessive about it automatically means you lose.

I'm not obsessing, I was out having a life for the whole time that you were posting all this ***, so I did 1, count it, 1 post to reply to your idiotic comments that I missed. I really don't care about winning/losing an argument, I have the pride to admit that I am wrong when I am wrong. You just keep on going and going, and even when you're wrong you will half-assedly (that's not really even a real word, but yea) admit that you're wrong about one little thing, but you're missing the whole gist of it.

Just admit when you're wrong it's not that hard and everybody makes mistakes, I'm not attacking you based off that. I'm attacking you because you're a moron who can't admit they're wrong when multiple people on different accounts are telling you you're just plain wrong, and proving it.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-05 18:32:51  
Fenrir.Luarania said:
The funniest post from him I saw was
Bismarck.Ihina said:
I use P.harpe/blau for epeen purposes, but from what I understand, it parses nearly identical to Blau/Sirocco. P.harpe/sirocco is lol.
Carbuncle.Virtuosus said:
They obviously want to use PHarp/Blau because if they were to use Blau/Sirocco, they'll look too much like an average THF. They wouldn't want to be average ("gimp" in Iniha's eyes).

What I was saying, lol. I was thinking about using the word E-Peen, because I knew that's exactly what it was, but for some reason I didn't want to because then they would have started a whole new argument based off that.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-06-05 18:45:36  
You can't get through to some people. Just let it die.

Oh and Laphine your math all looks fine on the surface. By DA/TA thing you're not sure how to do, do you mean average hits per round?
 Remora.Laphine
By Remora.Laphine 2010-06-05 18:59:18  
avarage number of hits per round should be 2.29 from what i got (5 % double and a corrected 9.5% triple). What i did was get a raw number of hits necessary to get 100tp and remove from them the hits that doubled/tripled by dividing it by 1.145. This could represent the "real" number of rounds a thf needs to ws. Certainly made sense for me. I've never actually seen anyone doing this math before (contrary to everything else on that post), that's why i had my doubts. But it certainly made sense. If everyone is agreeing i guess it worked alright lol.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-06-05 19:28:14  
Well if you look, your figure comes -close- to the figure predicted by your earlier math of Increased WS Frequency (with an adjustment due to per WS damage). So your method is definitely a fairly valid model.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-05 22:14:07  
Quote:

Because it's more practical to use. THF isn't a job where you simply build TP to 100%+ then blast it. Against weaker things or solo'ing, sure, but against anything that matters, you'd want to stack it with SA or TA. The rest of the reasoning is on page12, along with my next challenge, if you feel like picking that up.
Quote:
why is the second approach void?

See:
Quote:
Certainly that number might be overestimated because it didn't factor the probability of multi hits procing or hits missing.

You answered your own question.

...and lolVirtuosus, trying so hard. Just the fact that you decided to waste your time, posting multiple times before I got a chance to reply, trying to bash and flame me into oblivion shows your obsession. And btw, "lolz I went away for awhile so I has a life!" is pretty lolz in itself. I don't know bro, maybe you want to post a few more things, try a little harder, to prove yourself to me.

And I've yet to lose anything. All I hear are a bunch of people desperately telling me that I've lost so they could feel some kind of achievement in life. Why not talk me down instead of jumping to your own premature conclusion? Words are hard, right?

You guys: "YOU LOST YOU LOST YOU LOST"

Me: "No I didn't"

You: "YOU LOST YOU LOST YOU LOST"

...really doesn't get you anywhere, online or in real life. Not that I expect the typical forum troll to understand. Blau/sirocco is better in theory, but like I said earlier: in theory, everything works in practice as it does in theory, and I've given my reasons why. So are any of you up to the challenge of talking me down through the next step? Raenryong, maybe? I've seen some of your posts across multiple forums, I know you have experience in the job, unlike most of the people trying so hard to bash me in this thread.

Fenrir.Xxak
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Xxak
By Fenrir.Xxak 2010-06-05 23:11:56  
Math has been posted several times showing that PHarpe/Blau is worse than Blau/SK, and by more than the 1% you (safe face) now claim it to be. The onus is on you to prove that you are more than a talented troll.
 Phoenix.Gerrott
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Gerrott
By Phoenix.Gerrott 2010-06-05 23:18:39  
So I was just wondering, I know alot of people would like to let this die and all, but:

You claim that you use Pharpe/Blau over Blau/Sirroco because of practicallity. (Out tping timers is usless yadda yadda). If thats the case, why use Skadi over ASA legs? Unless you ws exactly on 100% tp, wouldn't the lowered amount of hits to reach 100% from store tp not benefit you as much as added hit rate from the 3 accuracy / 1% haste?

I'm no math guy, so store tp might have some magical purpose beyond reaching 100% tp faster, if this is the case, someone please enlighten me.

I'm mainly wondering because of self interest, I'm stuck debating whether I should TP in Homam or Skadi legs. (Own both)

Again, I apologize for prolonging this painful thread.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-06-06 00:22:40  
Quote:
Raenryong, maybe? I've seen some of your posts across multiple forums, I know you have experience in the job, unlike most of the people trying so hard to bash me in this thread.

I don't think you're an idiot personally. I just think that very frankly the way you're approaching this is very aggressive and it's making people fight against you. You raise valid points and acknowledge that Blau/Sirocco is better in theory on targets where you fulltime engage but
Quote:
but against anything that matters, you'd want to stack it with SA or TA

if you're basically implying what I think you are implying, you're meaning that in situations where fulltime melee suddenly becomes far less appealing, the distance between the two weapon combinations closes rapidly... which is true.

I dunno. You'll probably disagree with this but I think people are just taking offense because your initial approach was basically "(somewhat reasonable) best or gtfo!" and you're using Pharpe/Blau not because it is unconditionally the best, but because it is a good compromise in any situation you are using THF in.
 Shiva.Daimos
サーバ: Shiva
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-06-06 00:27:58  
Leave it to Raen to make sense of this thread.

Can it die nao plz?
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-06 00:37:07  
It's funny how when I ask about practically and actual experience playing the job, everyone hushes up.

The reason I'm not going to lose this is because there is no argument to begin with. Rather the main argument is not important. Like stated previously in the thread, this is simply a power struggle between the oh-so-arrogant myself and a bunch of forum trolls. The only side that loses is the side that stops posting, which explains why they're desperate to tell me that I've lost prematurely and to stop posting, so they can feel like they've won. I mean seriously, does anyone honestly believe that these 4 or 5 people playing on different servers, who don't even know me, seriously care what dagger combination I use?

Now, on to your question, Gerrott. You do bring up a very good point I'll admit I've never thought of that before. I guess to play the job optimally, you would have to keep track of your timer and of your current TP and switch gear accordingly. Misses and DA/TA does happen, after all. If it feels like your TP will hit 100% well before your timer is ready, you should switch to ASA legs because they are superior if you ignore the Store TP on Skadi. If you feel your TP is a tad behind, then use your Skadi legs. Of course, the problem with this is that anyone who actually goes through with this is out of their mind, there's just too much micro-management going on.

Between Homam and Skadi though, ignoring the store TP, there's practically no difference between them, performance-wise, with Homam coming out on top in high haste situations for pure dot. But then again, in high haste situations, you'll have the opportunity to reliably WS every 30 seconds, so having the store tp could be beneficial there as well.

I really hope I answered your question.

My original point still stands though. You can take this as advice or you can dismiss it if you wish, but I believe this is one of the key factors that separate a good THF from a great THF, DD-wise. Be wary of your TP and timers. Do not let your timers(both of them) sit at 0:00 for too long, nor let your TP sit at over 100% for too long. In fact, there's no reason for both timers to be ready at the same time, nor is there a reason why you should have over 140%TP at any time, unless you're jumping from one mob to another. For instance, if you're sitting at 70% TP, SA is ready and TA is 20 seconds behind, then pop SA solo. TA will be ready approximately by the time you hit 100%. My LS members always ask me how I can keep up with their Usu/E.body-wearing traditional DDs; I just tell them I try harder. Of course, by trying harder, this is most of what I really do. THF takes more work to play than any other traditional DD job(kinda sucks that we still often fall short though)

Ultimately, it all depends on what you're fighting and what your buffs are. Like previously mentioned in the thread, I have multiple weapons in my satchel(7, to be exact, not counting warps), and I switch between them regularly depending on the situation.[Wait, WHAT? You can switch out your weapons after learning what you're fighting and what buffs you'll receive???] If I'm given enough haste to reliably WS every 30 seconds [this means haste+march] using the Blau/Sirocco combo AND I'm fighting something that I can both SA and TA reliably AND I don't need to care about wind damage, I'll switch to that. If I'm given haste+marchx2, I'll use P.harpe/Blau and SAWS/TAWS every 30 seconds or so. Most of the time, though, being a THF 'n all, I get haste half the fight, so I default to the P.harpe/Blau and Skadi legs. To be the best you can be, you have to have a multiple weapons/gear sets and you have to know how/when to use them.

It's almost like most everything is ...what's the word...situational!
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-06 01:07:42  
Quote:
I don't think you're an idiot personally. I just think that very frankly the way you're approaching this is very aggressive and it's making people fight against you. You raise valid points and acknowledge that Blau/Sirocco is better in theory on targets where you fulltime engage

You're very right, I am rather aggressive and arrogant. It interest me how it never fails to get under people's skin to the point where they'd make stuff up and use it to flame me.

Here's how this thread went down:

Me: Please don't use the cobra harness/ASA legs. Use:

Rapp harness > Homam body > ACP body

Bravo's subligar/Dusk trousers > Homam legs > Skadi legs

Someone: Cobra harness/ASA legs is better than certain recommended pieces

Me: By they're subpar to the best, why waste time getting those pieces if you're going to replace them anyways?

Someone: So what if they're subpar, they're still good!

Someone2: What?! Subpar gear is not acceptable and you must have the best!

Someone3: Ihina thinks everyone should only have the best gear possible or they're gimp!

Taking things way out of context, going as far as quoting single words and passing it off as my stance, do a little red herring of their own and ask me why I'm suggesting 'decent' stuff after condemning 'subpar' stuff. Add in somewhere that I stated this is only my opinion and I can respect people who wish to make every little increment along the way, and you have this thread in a nut shell.

A few pages later, some genius decided to look up my gear, ignore all the HQ and incredibly hard to get pieces and start insulting select pieces of my gear choice. Seriously, how different is this than after losing an argument, you get back at them by telling them they're ugly? It's all childish, really.

So, long story short, I decided to play it out and see where it'll take me.

You, on the other hand, and I've noticed this, tolerate and cater to the simple-minded, which is why they like you. Remember when you were telling HPG the best way he should use his relic(for some reason), and other users came in and said, "Right, keep telling him how to use his Mandau <_<", acting like they were ready to pick a fight with you. Personally, I would have had a field day there, but you just let things die out. That, plus your skills with formulas and mathematics to distinguish yourself from the rest.

I'm more than willing to admit that if I took a few lessons from you, I would have successfully gotten my point across and avoided this whole mess, but seriously, what fun would that be? This kind of behavioral pattern can be found on just about every board, from gamefaqs to alla to BG and so forth. It's typical behavior, so it doesn't faze me.
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16