users online
Relegion? wait wut?
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11
 Phoenix.Darki
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:11:12  
Christianity sux, religion sux, end of story.

I'm atheist, makes me nothing like the kid on the picture. Infact, I just have self-thought, I can think for myself enough to know it's all full of people's ***.

God was a creation of man. Not the other way around.

can god make a rock so heavy he cant lift it himself?
if he can't, then he is not omnipotent, if can make it and not lift it, he is also not omnipotent.

Owned.

Thanks philosophy class, I wurve you.

edit: Also inb4 people Q.Qing over my opinion and Q.Qing im forcing my views on them, I'm not. It's what I think, get over it.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-09 02:13:02  
/sigh

We've been here a million times before, and it will end in the same endless cycle. A new thread won't change anything sadly.

But at least your last segment is some food for thought. Interesting.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-09 02:14:15  
Shiva.Weewoo said:
/sigh

Yep, here we are again..
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-09 02:15:22  
Why can't people just live their lives and live them decently without the need to submit to or please a higher being? <_< I have a good moral compass, but not because I have some ~thing~ watching me and judging my actions.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:17:08  
Siren.Screamingbabies said:
Fenrir.Empedocles said:
One question I'd like to ask though, is...

If your god knows everything, or at the very least, watches everyone and knows what everyone is thinking....

Why do you bother praying? He/She/It already knows what you want, or what you hope for other people etc... sounds liek a waste of time, really.

And what about his plan? What if what you want isn't in his plan? Is he suppose to change his ultimate plan just for you?

and didn't he die for our sins on the cross, his son that is, it really changed nothing IMO. Things were still as bad. What a bunch of *** men have created to feel better about themselves, confort themselves with the thought of death, and live through another day without facing the fact that they are alone and theres no higher being watching over you when you are driving to work or whatever.

edit: also, arent we all the children of god? then why did he name only one as his own son? and if we're all his children and he cares for us, he lets us burn in hell, which apparently he has no control over.

Hmmm i have an answer; ***.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:22:22  
Shiva.Weewoo said:
/sigh

We've been here a million times before, and it will end in the same endless cycle. A new thread won't change anything sadly.

this argument has been going on before we were born, you think a thread on a troll website will change anything? Not really, people just feel like burning out their emotions/opinions.

besides, religion got owned years ago.

this question is almost as old as stone.
[+]
 Phoenix.Huwhuddep
user: huw
By Phoenix.Huwhuddep 2010-06-09 02:23:12  
Phoenix.Darki said:

+1
[+]
 Caitsith.Surreal
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2010-06-09 02:23:14  
Phoenix.Darki said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
/sigh

this argument has been going on before we were born, you think a thread on a troll website will change anything? Not really, people just feel like burning out their emotions/opinions.

QFT
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-09 02:24:15  
Phoenix.Darki said:

I'm atheist, makes me nothing like the kid on the picture. Infact, I just have self-thought, I can think for myself enough to know it's all full of people's ***.

if he can't, then he is not omnipotent, if can make it and not lift it, he is also not omnipotent.

Owned.

edit: Also inb4 people Q.Qing over my opinion and Q.Qing im forcing my views on them, I'm not. It's what I think, get over it.

The atheist distorts the biblical definition of omnipotence in order to "prove" that God cannot exist. Contrary to their claims, omnipotence does not include the ability to do things that are, by definition, impossible. Neither does omnipotence include the ability to fail. By defining omnipotence as requiring one to have the ability to fail, atheists have defined omnipotence as being impossible. Of course, an omnipotent God would never fail.

Can God create a rock He cannot lift? Since an all-powerful being will always be able to accomplish whatever He sets out to do, it is impossible for an all-powerful being to fail. The above atheistic argument is arguing that since God is all-powerful He can do anything - even fail. This is like saying that since God is all-powerful He can be not all-powerful. Obviously, this is absurd. An all-powerful being cannot fail. Therefore, God can create a rock of tremendous size, but, since He is all-powerful, He will always be able to lift it. The ability to fail is not a part of omnipotence. The Bible makes it clear that God is able to do anything He wants to, and that nothing He wants to do is too difficult for Him to accomplish. This is the true meaning of omnipotence.

These kinds of arguments are clearly illogical and even silly, although they are commonly used by inexperienced atheists. Most intelligent atheists have dropped these kinds of arguments long ago.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-09 02:26:45  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

Owned.

The atheist distorts the biblical definition of omnipotence in order to "prove" that God cannot exist. Contrary to their claims, omnipotence does not include the ability to do things that are, by definition, impossible. Neither does omnipotence include the ability to fail. By defining omnipotence as requiring one to have the ability to fail, atheists have defined omnipotence as being impossible. Of course, an omnipotent God would never fail.

Can God create a rock He cannot lift? Since an all-powerful being will always be able to accomplish whatever He sets out to do, it is impossible for an all-powerful being to fail. The above atheistic argument is arguing that since God is all-powerful He can do anything - even fail. This is like saying that since God is all-powerful He can be not all-powerful. Obviously, this is absurd. An all-powerful being cannot fail. Therefore, God can create a rock of tremendous size, but, since He is all-powerful, He will always be able to lift it. The ability to fail is not a part of omnipotence. The Bible makes it clear that God is able to do anything He wants to, and that nothing He wants to do is too difficult for Him to accomplish.4 This is the true meaning of omnipotence.

I'd prefer Webster's over St. James.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-09 02:28:23  
Caitsith.Surreal said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
/sigh

QFT

I've tried that argument before.. I got a response along the lines of 'theoretical debate has no use in a religious debate' (wasn't worded anywhere near as nicely/kindly as that was, but that was the point they were trying to make)

Which beautifully illustrates the problem of this debate all together.. Believers hold their god as a proven fact, while others see it as what it is, an unproven theory (at best)

It can be easily summed up with something along the lines of

"I'm a witch and I can fly on a broom stick"
'No you can't'
"Well you CAN'T PROVE THAT I CAN'T!!"
'Then prove that you can'
"I DON'T HAVE TO!!"
/facepalm
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:29:00  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

Owned.

Can God create a rock He cannot lift? Since an all-powerful being will always be able to accomplish whatever He sets out to do, it is impossible for an all-powerful being to fail. The above atheistic argument is arguing that since God is all-powerful He can do anything - even fail. This is like saying that since God is all-powerful He can be not all-powerful. Obviously, this is absurd. An all-powerful being cannot fail. Therefore, God can create a rock of tremendous size, but, since He is all-powerful, He will always be able to lift it. The ability to fail is not a part of omnipotence. The Bible makes it clear that God is able to do anything He wants to, and that nothing He wants to do is too difficult for Him to accomplish.4 This is the true meaning of omnipotence.

I didn't think atheists existance was to proove god doesn't exist, IMO I already prooved to myself he doesn't, and I have no need to proove it to anyone else, I just say my opinion. I don't care what other people think.

Also, you are excusing your god now, that is if you believe in him, since it seems like it, the bible says something, and a christian pops up everyday with a new argument defending that same word, with a different argument, Yours isn't a real change.

You will find every argument/statement possible to excuse your god no matter what, that's what we call faith my friend.

and apparently, this perfect being can fail now. What's next, he's walking and he's human yet he doesn't realize it?

Sorry, give me a second to laugh, not being rude.
 Caitsith.Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2010-06-09 02:30:10  
I'm about to bring up another point, In the Bible it clearly states that God doesn't like homosexual relationships but it also clearly states that God loves us no matter what we are and who we are, And yet stupid people keep using the context that gay people will go to hell.. IF God is all loving, what the *** does it matter what their sexual preference is? If people actually follow the bible as clearly as they state how come they can't let go with this issue? It's obviously not a huge deal and its just wrong to punish people for liking something that isn't "typical" in other people's standards.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-09 02:30:33  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

Owned.

Can God create a rock He cannot lift? Since an all-powerful being will always be able to accomplish whatever He sets out to do, it is impossible for an all-powerful being to fail. The above atheistic argument is arguing that since God is all-powerful He can do anything - even fail. This is like saying that since God is all-powerful He can be not all-powerful. Obviously, this is absurd. An all-powerful being cannot fail. Therefore, God can create a rock of tremendous size, but, since He is all-powerful, He will always be able to lift it. The ability to fail is not a part of omnipotence. The Bible makes it clear that God is able to do anything He wants to, and that nothing He wants to do is too difficult for Him to accomplish. This is the true meaning of omnipotence.

These kinds of arguments are clearly illogical and even silly, although they are commonly used by inexperienced atheists. Most intelligent atheists have dropped these kinds of arguments long ago.

Question is, why would it exclude failure if such a condition can exist within that power? By definition, absolute power would require the ability to create a condition which others (including one's self) to fail.

om·nip·o·tent
   /ɒmˈnɪpətənt/[om-nip-uh-tuhnt]
–adjective
almighty or infinite in power, as God.
having very great or unlimited authority or power.
–noun
an omnipotent being.
the Omnipotent, God.

Unlimited authority (I'd imagine) wouldn't have limitations, even if that included failure.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:31:39  
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Caitsith.Surreal said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
/sigh

QFT

I've tried that argument before.. I got a response along the lines of 'theoretical debate has no use in a religious debate' (wasn't worded anywhere near as nicely/kindly as that was, but that was the point they were trying to make)

Which beautifully illustrates the problem of this debate all together.. Believers hold their god as a proven fact, while others see it as what it is, an unproven theory (at best)

It can be easily summed up with something along the lines of

"I'm a witch and I can fly on a broom stick"
'No you can't'
"Well you CAN'T PROVE THAT I CAN'T!!"
'Then prove that you can'
"I DON'T HAVE TO!!"
/facepalm

Thanks, that last paragraph just prooved what I was saying to my friend above, Faith is only faith, doesn't make it real.

again, I'm not trying to proove god doesn't exist, I don't give a damn, he doesn't for me that's enough, but if whatever I say makes you question him then cool.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-09 02:33:15  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

Owned.

You know the saying, fight fire with fire.. Most any type of 'argument' that religious people throw at non-believers is illogical, silly and utterly ridiculous..

Here's one pretty much everyone knows..

"It happened because the bible says it did!"

That book was written by man.. A person like me or you, are you saying you've never lied before? That book is no more proof of anything you believe then the Harry Potter books are proof that there is a Hogwarts. (that's a vague statement, not directed at you, unless you believe in god and use that line as 'proof' of his existence.)
 Shiva.Xet
user: Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-06-09 02:33:21  
Not that I care and find these topics amusing but applying logic to God is instant source of fail. What we know from the stuff we have about God is that is was written in ways we could comprehend it, not so it gave all the answers as you cannot apply human logic to God.

We were created in his Image, we were not created to be him.

/grabs the pop corn and hope the bait works...

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-09 02:33:50  
The word "omnipotent" is never used in the Bible, but has been inferred primarily by one of God's Hebrew titles, "Shadday," which is most often translated "almighty." However, the Bible never claims that God can do all things. In fact, the Bible makes a point that there are things that God cannot do. The Bible says that God cannot commit sin. God cannot lie. Therefore, biblical omnipotence does not mean that God can do all things. God cannot do anything that is contrary to His holy character. However, God can do anything that He determines to do.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:33:51  
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

Owned.

Question is, why would it exclude failure if such a condition can exist within that power? By definition, absolute power would require the ability to create a condition which others (including one's self) to fail.

om·nip·o·tent
   /ɒmˈnɪpətənt/[om-nip-uh-tuhnt]
–adjective
almighty or infinite in power, as God.
having very great or unlimited authority or power.
–noun
an omnipotent being.
the Omnipotent, God.

Unlimited authority (I'd imagine) wouldn't have limitations, even if that included failure.

I used the word omnipotent, but you clearly get to where I am going, I meant him and his power to be infinite, neverending, universal, just how religion portrays him.

If religion portrays him as this being, then this argument shouldn't exist at all.

and please don't tell me he is so powerfull he can also fail, that just makes him MORE human than what he can already be, and prooves more he's just a creation of the human himself, then he is just at our level...
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-09 02:35:22  
Faith is not conducive to logic nor comprehension of reality. Simple as that.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:36:47  
Shiva.Weewoo said:

So whateveryone is saying is, that god is not logical, we should just shut up not question him at all and believe?
That sounds to me like politics, follow the one above shut up about it and take the rules.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-09 02:38:26  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
The word "omnipotent" is never used in the Bible, but has been inferred primarily by one of God's Hebrew titles, "Shadday," which is most often translated "almighty." However, the Bible never claims that God can do all things. In fact, the Bible makes a point that there are things that God cannot do. The Bible says that God cannot commit sin. God cannot lie. Therefore, biblical omnipotence does not mean that God can do all things. God cannot do anything that is contrary to His holy character. However, God can do anything that He determines to do.

Which is ironic because this would point this more of a matter of will over ability or in this case, inability.

I'm sure as a deity he has the ability to put virtually anything into fruition; including a lie. However, by will and that given determination, he/she/it does not.
 Caitsith.Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2010-06-09 02:38:29  
Phoenix.Darki said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

So whateveryone is saying is, that god is not logical, we should just shut up not question him at all and believe?
That sounds to me like politics, follow the one above shut up about it and take the rules.

Yeah, because if you ask questions then you'll get burned at the stake!! /sarcasm but yeah.. I know there's people crazy enough out there to still do that ***lol.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-09 02:38:44  
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
So how did life start? Science has never been able to exclusively prove the "starting point".

To me, and to others with much more knowledge on the subject, this is where I become religious. Personally I believe you can have both Science and Religion. o.o

As do I. And I find those who can't let people try to have both illogical and ignorant.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:38:53  
Shiva.Xet said:
Not that I care and find these topics amusing but applying logic to God is instant source of fail. What we know from the stuff we have about God is that is was written in ways we could comprehend it, not so it gave all the answers as you cannot apply human logic to God.

so lets not apply to logic, what does that leave us with? Having faith with out question. I don't think I am that weak, I think i can think for myself enough.
if we were created on his image, then he is nothing more than human, to me it just says in another way he is human lol
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-09 02:40:14  
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
So how did life start? Science has never been able to exclusively prove the "starting point".

To me, and to others with much more knowledge on the subject, this is where I become religious. Personally I believe you can have both Science and Religion. o.o

edit: Btw, I am saying science in terms of an Athiest, since they most notably fall back ONTO science as the be-all end-all discussion for disproving religion/god.

I believe it was Einstein himself that said Science without religion is lame, and religion without science is blind.

They rely on each other to exist. We need tangible evidence to comprehend the reality and conditions we exist within and faith to grasp that which is not tangible and exists in a supernatural realm of existence.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-09 02:40:31  
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Been awhile since I read it, and you may be right that it doesn't say the word omnipotent, but the idea that he's omnipotent is splattered all throughout that book.. ***just look at Genesis.. God created the heavens and the Earth...

You're honestly going to try and sit here and tell me that, that verse was never meant to be interpreted as omnipotence? That he was just powerful enough to do that, but that he has limits?

Next you'll try telling me that he can create everything, but is incapable of 'revoking' free will, or preventing all the horrible ***that happens on a daily basis to completely innocent people.. (that whole Adam and Eve thing though, I will give credit to.. It's a great fix to the loop hole of guilt when you're talking about a baby all of a few months old that dies for no good reason.. That's about the only part of the bible that even seems thought out or on the verge of 'genius'.)
 Shiva.Xet
user: Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-06-09 02:40:46  
Phoenix.Darki said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

Stupid believers do this yes.
The ones with a clue lead by example and share their faith when its appropriate.

Faith doesn't only apply to religion and I assume people have faith in things other then God.

Caitsith.Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2010-06-09 02:40:49  
Phoenix.Darki said:
Shiva.Xet said:

so lets not apply to logic, what does that leave us with? Having faith with out question. I don't think I am that weak, I think i can think for myself enough.
if we were created on his image, then he is nothing more than human, to me it just says in another way he is human lol

QFT, and also look at the ten commandments, One of them being "Thou shalt not kill" Half the country has broken that one right there and still call themselves devout Christians.. Kinda like the sick pedo's that rape kid's and then said God made them do it.. Crazy weirdo's need to NOT be allowed to read a bible.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11