Random Politics & Religion #11

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #11
Random Politics & Religion #11
First Page 2 3 ... 73 74 75 76
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-03 13:01:46  
Candlejack said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
A good education does not tell you what to think, but how to think.

Then I think you'd be surprised how rare that is. A higher education does not necessarily mean a better one.
No well that is useful for culture and heighten the general state of society since it leads to improvements in the respective fields(more researchers, more innovators, that would otherwise not exist without the knowledge provided to them).

School doesn't teach you how to neurons though.

I'm not dissing the idea of higher education in general, as it can be extremely valuable. It's more a critique of what it is as opposed to what it should be. "Free thinking" and "open-mindedness" is suffering a slow death in the very places where they should flourish.

It could be due in part to universities taking in less well-rounded applicants and, seemingly, more laxed admission standards.

/shrug
It can also be attributed to the fact that "freedom of speech" doesn't mean "freedom from consequences". Many students who choose to be bigots on college campuses actually do end up expelled like that one guy from U. Tennessee who was passing out bananas at a BLM march while wearing a gorilla mask. The same also applies at places of employment.
Case in point: Baseball announcer Curt Schilling got fired from ESPN for too many racist and generally bigoted tweets. Even while off the clock, his conduct directly reflected on his employers (ESPN and Disney, which owns ESPN), and the decision came down directly from Disney to hand him his walking papers.

That has practically nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By eliroo 2016-10-03 13:26:08  
When I say education I don't just mean learning things. A good education does not tell you what to think, but how to think.

I get that idea but at the same time you are then inferring that anyone who leans conservative isn't properly educated, assuming that proper education leads to a liberal viewpoint.

It is a lot more logical to assume that college students will vote left due to a myriad of other reasons such as the lack of religion among the educated, raising minimum wage, cheaper healthcare and more importantly reduction in college debts.
By eliroo 2016-10-03 13:28:05  
A good education does not tell you what to think, but how to think.

Then I think you'd be surprised how rare that is. A higher education does not necessarily mean a better one.
No well that is useful for culture and heighten the general state of society since it leads to improvements in the respective fields(more researchers, more innovators, that would otherwise not exist without the knowledge provided to them).

School doesn't teach you how to neurons though.

I'm not dissing the idea of higher education in general, as it can be extremely valuable. It's more a critique of what it is as opposed to what it should be. "Free thinking" and "open-mindedness" is suffering a slow death in the very places where they should flourish.

It could be due in part to universities taking in less well-rounded applicants and, seemingly, more laxed admission standards.

/shrug
It can also be attributed to the fact that "freedom of speech" doesn't mean "freedom from consequences". Many students who choose to be bigots on college campuses actually do end up expelled like that one guy from U. Tennessee who was passing out bananas at a BLM march while wearing a gorilla mask. The same also applies at places of employment.
Case in point: Baseball announcer Curt Schilling got fired from ESPN for too many racist and generally bigoted tweets. Even while off the clock, his conduct directly reflected on his employers (ESPN and Disney, which owns ESPN), and the decision came down directly from Disney to hand him his walking papers.

He has anyone who disagreees with him blacklisted, so he only understands part of the conversation.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-03 13:34:49  
eliroo said: »
He has anyone who disagreees with him blacklisted, so he only understands part of the conversation.

Snowflakes need that safe space, I guess.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-10-03 13:38:41  

Which part? This:

Has zip to do with contemplating admission standards or foundational education.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-10-03 13:46:21  
Here, there's a few major universities have certain reputations (that were set in play decades ago) that attracts a similarly-minded student body for the novelty, even though it's not always indicative of the student body in its entirety. That could also play a part, but that could be on a state-to-state basis.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-10-03 14:22:09  
Trump's in trouble again, it seems.

as long as you're on the opposition I think we'll be just fine...

VOTE TRUMP! JUST TO PISS CANDLEJACKOFF!
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-10-03 14:25:55  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »

He's pissed off for a living already.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-10-03 14:32:28  
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »

He's pissed off for a living already.

People get paid to be pissed off...turns on CNN... I guess you are right !
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-10-03 14:34:59  
Here, there's a few major universities have certain reputations (that were set in play decades ago) that attracts a similarly-minded student body for the novelty, even though it's not always indicative of the student body in its entirety. That could also play a part, but that could be on a state-to-state basis.
There's a load of minor unis here, and their admission standards are usually lower than the larger, more well known schools. So, the University of Tennessee case actually has bearing on admission standards. It's one of those that uses lower standards for admission, and it shows.

I don't know if it's indicative of admission standards or an example of the naivety people have growing up in a homogeneous bubble. That kid could very well have been academically bright but was brought up in an environment where racial pejoratives and antagonistic behavior towards people you feel superior to is acceptable.

I remember my first semester in college 19yrs ago being an eye awakening moment regarding this. There was an Asian-American referring to African-Americans as "My Ni**a". Having grown up in Los Angeles in a culturally diverse environment I was like wait what? As was the reaction of many African Americans he interacted with. Turns out he was big east coast underground hip hop head but grew up the suburbs that was exclusively white and Asian. He had no clue it would be offensive or cause strange glares.

It is surprising that as much as we call America a melting pot there are huge swaths of our population that are not exposed to cultural diversity and understanding.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-10-03 14:35:27  
IDK. People hap-haphazardly vomit about the collegiate "liberal agenda", and it seems there's various coinciding factors that are completely overlooked within the past decade-and-a-half.

Even though ACT is preferable, the SAT was revised twice in a decade.

Both of the most reputable colleges in the state have lowered their GPA requirements and upped their percentage of acceptance. (This part is anecdotal: But a niece didn't have to submit recommendation letters nor an essay.)

People should really check out that "liberal agenda" at Baylor and Texas A&M.

I need to look into this a little more. Just pondering. ***be weird now.

The hub-bub over this was jaw-droppingly stupid.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-10-03 14:35:50  
Wikileaks planning some 3AM dump of Hillary documents.

Know what that means tomorrow right?

Headlines in American media will be:

1) Russian hackers attempt to interfere in US election for a Trump win.

2) Trump has financial ties to Russia oligarchs

3) Julian Asange is a rapist

Nothing about the content of the leaked documents.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-10-03 14:39:28  

4. FFXI is finally going to merge servers !
[+]
By fonewear 2016-10-03 14:44:28  
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
There's a load of minor unis here, and their admission standards are usually lower than the larger, more well known schools. So, the University of Tennessee case actually has bearing on admission standards. It's one of those that uses lower standards for admission, and it shows.

I don't know if it's indicative of admission standards or an example of the naivety people have growing up in a homogeneous bubble. That kid could very well have been academically bright but was brought up in an environment where racial pejoratives and antagonistic behavior towards people you feel superior to is acceptable.

I remember my first semester in college 19yrs ago being an eye awakening moment regarding this. There was an Asian-American referring to African-Americans as "My Ni**a". Having grown up in Los Angeles in a culturally diverse environment I was like wait what? As was the reaction of many African Americans he interacted with. Turns out he was big east coast underground hip hop head but grew up the suburbs that was exclusively white and Asian. He had no clue it would be offensive or cause strange glares.

It is surprising that as much as we call America a melting pot there are huge swaths of our population that are not exposed to cultural diversity and understanding.

If I want cultural diversity I'll go to Japan !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-03 14:44:29  
Well, the media is beginning its October blitz to play every card and misinterpret everything Trump has ever said or done for maximum damage. I guess it's as good a time as any for Assange to get into the fray. I just want to see the hypocrites come out and say that leaked documents aren't fair game in an election... except when they're Trump tax returns.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-10-03 14:49:31  

Same here. I've noticed that some universities have remedial courses, also. I was astounded when I learned the University of Arkansas offers them, and that's their major university.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-10-03 15:00:21  

Mentally preparing for another useless info dump? I'm sure this will be the smoking gun that lands Hillary in prison. The last dozen or so "scoops" were just practice. Yup, any day now...
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-03 15:04:04  
Can't be any worse than Clinton harping on Trump for not paying his federal income taxes, which he didn't have to do because of a provision put forth by Democrats.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-10-03 15:18:43  
Can't be any worse than Clinton harping on Trump for not paying his federal income taxes, which he didn't have to do because of a provision put forth by Democrats.
That isn't the issue and you know this. Trump has been vocal about people who don't pay their "fair share" as well as the usual Republican claptrap of tax cuts for the rich to spur growth. So to see evidence that he's neither paid taxes for 20 years while championing for even more cuts on the nothing he's actually paying should be pointed out. A near billion dollar loss is also a substantial smear on the record of someone who wants to draw on his business expertise to run the country.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-03 15:30:39  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
That isn't the issue and you know this. Trump has been vocal about people who don't pay their "fair share" as well as the usual Republican claptrap of tax cuts for the rich to spur growth. So to see evidence that he's neither paid taxes for 20 years while championing for even more cuts on the nothing he's actually paying should be pointed out. A near billion dollar loss is also a substantial smear on the record of someone who wants to draw on his business expertise to run the country.

What was he supposed to do? His deductions were completely legal. Only a moron would not take available deductions to cover for previous losses. And sure, it was a big loss, but it was over 20 years ago at a time when real estate investors in general were suffering due to a crash. The mere that he was able to recover speaks positively to his business acumen, not negatively.
By eliroo 2016-10-03 15:33:19  
The focus should be on how he avoided them and not the fact that he avoided the taxes.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-03 15:36:59  
eliroo said: »
The focus should be on how he avoided them and not the fact that he avoided the taxes.

The double standard is infuriating. When it's a Democrat, all that matters is that what they do is legal. As long as Hillary isn't indicted, who cares? Why bring it up, ever? When it's a Republican, it's all about principle. Even when he does everything in a 100% legal manner, they'll rip him to shreds because reasons?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-10-03 15:40:02  
I understand the legality of it. The point you're bypassing is it runs contradictory to his platform.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-03 15:45:37  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I understand the legality of it. The point you're bypassing is it runs contradictory to his platform.

Ohhhhh. Okay. So, kinda like pretending you're a champion of women and gay rights while having a history of "bimbo" shaming/threatening and taking money from nations that have a history of killing gays and making women 2nd class citizens.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-10-03 15:57:40  
You remember when the big banks donated a lot of money to Hillary's campaign and had private paid-for speeches for the banks?

Remember how her platform says she will cut down on big banks.....

I don't see any flaws in Hillary's platform compared to her actions.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-10-03 16:06:25  
Remember when Donald Trump donated a couple hundred grand to the Clinton foundation?

Pep ridge Farm remembers.

Remember when he said Hillary was one of the most intelligent Secretary's of State in the nations history?

Remember last week when he said he had the best judgement?

:)
[+]
By eliroo 2016-10-03 16:10:46  
Yea I member!

You member when Hillary once called black men super predators?

You member when Hillary supported the TPP?

Member when Hillary supported the IRAQ war?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 73 74 75 76