Sinister Reign!

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Adoulin » Sinister Reign!
Sinister Reign!
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-10-05 12:43:45  
We broke 4 minutes with PLD+COR+DNC+WHM+(BRD+GEO dualboxed).
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-10-05 12:56:25  
I might have used Grand Pas, but I don't think either of the buffers 1-houred. DNC can pretty much cap ratio and hit rate in there without 1-hour on most of the NMs, so GEO/BRD SPs are kind of a waste of time.

COR was using Chaos/Hunter's and he was meleeing (WSing with Death Penalty).

IIRC we mostly just got lucky with the NM pops. Ingrid -> Morimar -> either August or Sajj. All those NMs die in ~1 5-WS skillchain, and they only infrequently interrupt you.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-10-05 14:43:47  
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
We broke 4 minutes with PLD+COR+DNC+WHM+(BRD+GEO dualboxed).
We broke 4 mins with:
RUN
ddCOR
ddCOR
GEO
GEO
WHM

Or was that a RDM/WHM? I don't remember but think it was WHM.
Got a lucky combination of mobs, but we fell under 4 mins. To date it's the fastest and most efficient setup I've ever experienced.
 Phoenix.Erics
サーバ: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2015-10-05 15:17:20  
Not that its viable since there arent a ton of NA blm with 1200 jp on this server but we did a really fast/safe spam of runs with the best being a little over 4mins using

pld sch geo geo malaise/lang/focus/acumen/indihaste for recast blm blm (both using mb deaths)

im sure we could have improved on it and only the pld is ever in melee range so no risk of accidents. Sch regen5s the pld then makes grav with aero->noct mb death or stone depending on mob and switch to fire for rosu/teodor and arcs light form.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-10-05 15:34:48  
The best runs I went on included 2x BLU DD, COR, WHM, PLD, and I think the other person was GEO but it could have been a BRD.

Another was mythic SCH SMN BLM PLD GEO WHM.

The BLU wrecked face in ways that are sick, wrong, and hilarious. SCH basically immanence chained everything ever, as normal.

You can do this with pretty much any setup as long as you stay consistent; mixing melee, ranged, and pet doesn't end well. All of one type with appropriate support and a RUN or PLD tank, should be a fairly easy win.

Ranged is the slowest but safest, I suppose, and melees NEED 1200+ acc or they won't be hitting anything after the first mob.
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
サーバ: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2015-10-05 16:45:02  
How would a PLD or RUN, WHM GEO RNG RNG COR setup do time wise?
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-10-05 16:49:44  
It all depends on their gear levels. If you have some RNGs sporting just a mishmash of stuff without a proper x-hit or WS sets, it'll be pretty bad. If you have RNGs calling down the fury of the *** heavens every few seconds, you'll probably do pretty well.

Also, I'd honestly suggest a RDM as healer for any situation in which you don't have melees. Distract and frazzle II (or III if they're JPed), as well as other debuffs, not to mention flurry II for your RNGs and COR, and it brings a massive amount more to the group than a WHM will.
 Asura.Loire
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2015-10-05 16:51:13  
Bahamut.Seekerstar said: »
All of one type with appropriate support and a RUN or PLD tank, should be a fairly easy win.
RUN or PLD is a wasted spot, DD can easily tank this if you are choosing to bring a whm.

Entry to finish, 4:40
actual fight time after buffs ~3 minutes (engaged at 1:41), not sure what metric people are using to judge their overall fights.
YouTube Video Placeholder

GEO GEO BLM (SAM BRD WHM tri-boxed)

I imagine geo geo blm blm sch sch would/could do these fights the fastest.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-10-05 19:23:31  
Bahamut.Seekerstar said: »
Ranged is the slowest but safest, I suppose, and melees NEED 1200+ acc or they won't be hitting anything after the first mob.

Which is why we like bringing BLU's, our group has a high number of extremely well geared 1200JP BLU's. BLU can set Acc Bonus V without seriously impacting it's performance along with eating sushi and getting hunters. Don't need any other acc buffs for them and they can TP in regular MA gear vs high-acc gear our Koga SAMs needed.

We definitely always bring a PLD, many of the TP moves suck *** but are conal or limited to ST. The PLD's job is to eat the really annoying status effects and dispels, though we also started using Vex + Fury or Frailty (+attunement is overkill) as backup on stuff that has aoe Terror / Amnesia and while we can win without it, it just makes the fights easier / less stressful.

About SCs, we actually tried that one with our ridiculously overpowered 1200JP BLM. It was very hit and miss and highly dependent on which NMs you got. If the NM didn't have any resistance to magic, then it died ridiculously fast to a Death MB. If the NM was resistant to dark magic or just magic in general (HiToU Arcellia) the BLM's performance was significantly impaired. So one run would be 5 min, the other 8~10 min cause we got a shitty NM set.

Any melee setup can work really well on this, just need people who aren't stupid and building around supporting them. Otherwise just do what all the other dumb people do and shout for BST, COR, GEO. It's slower but requires minimal effort and a win is a win.

I like that this event doesn't create a huge amount of stress and can be done multiple ways without really penalizing the players. You can spam it and the rewards, though random, can be very good. The cost of making a mistake isn't big so there is room for experimentation without risking wasting people's time. The super OMGWTFBBQ setups that put five support jobs onto one person are going to find it really easy, but they are cheesing the game anyway so it's to be expected. And to be fair, as long as a group can win in 10m or less they are doing fine. We found we spend more time, on average, in between fights getting coffee, beer, taking a piss or other random stuff adults have to do on a normal day.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-10-05 19:37:20  
Asura.Loire said: »
=actual fight time after buffs ~3 minutes (engaged at 1:41), not sure what metric people are using to judge their overall fights.=

zone message to zone message
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-10-05 19:40:16  
I was gonna ask why people care so much about kill speed, but then I remembered what website I was on
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Dravidian
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2015-10-05 20:51:25  
I think kill speed is a fun thing to do. Sinister Reign isn't content imo overly difficult and everyone should be able to clear it with ease, so what next? I feel people claiming world firsts and other crap is a different story, but it's fun to see kill speeds, unless there is a side of douchebaggery with it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-10-05 23:05:34  
To be perfectly honest, any run that's a win is okay in my book.

Speed wins are cool and all, but not everyone has 1200jp or badass gear or even the inclination to gain the same. Casual players deserve to participate also, and looking down on them because they take longer than ten minutes is an incredibly elitist outlook. (Not accusing anyone here, but I've ran across a few on Bahamut.)

Now, the fun police are probably about to arrest me, but I don't care.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-10-06 01:33:13  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
I was gonna ask why people care so much about kill speed, but then I remembered what website I was on
I think it's a way to measure each other's e-penis?
And a way to push you through the limits and see how good you can do?

Other than that it's ultimately a way to attain efficiency.
To get good drops in SR you need a lot of attempts.
If you can do 8 attempts in the time other groups do 3, it means you have more chances to get the gear you need.

Personally I'm happy when my group can stay under 10 mins.
Sadly many PUGs I've joined require a lot more or even time out, sigh.
The "safest" setup I found to do this with PUG and people I don't know, is the one with BSTs.
Which is strange considering how many salty tears BSTs shed over the last weeks, but it seems to me BST as a job is still very efficient, more than many people like to claim it is.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-10-06 01:34:15  
Asura.Loire said: »
not sure what metric people are using to judge their overall fights.
I use the "zonetimer" addon and check the timer after the wave3 NM is dead, shortly before we get warped back to Inner Ra'kaznar.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-10-06 01:52:09  
Like many events in FFXI SR isn't hard content so people seek a way to make it more interesting. This can come in many forms, speed runs, parse wars, alternative strategies, low man, solo, whatever you can think of.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-10-06 03:25:43  
So a dude uploads a video of him clearing SR fast and people assume he's looking down on people?

My only criticism of the video itself is why you need to be in the corner of the video, what does it add apart from taking away a square of the game?

That being said just about everyone who uploads video game footage does that nowadays.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-10-06 03:31:11  
I distinctly stated that I wasn't talking about anyone in this thread. I enjoyed the video, actually.

My complaint is directed at people who are *** about it.
 Asura.Loire
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2015-10-06 03:33:34  
Cerberus.Tidis said: »
So a dude uploads a video of him clearing SR fast and people assume he's looking down on people?

My only criticism of the video itself is why you need to be in the corner of the video, what does it add apart from taking away a square of the game?

That being said just about everyone who uploads video game footage does that nowadays.
It was a twitch VOD that got exported to youtube.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-10-06 04:49:56  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
I think it's a way to measure each other's e-penis?
And a way to push you through the limits and see how good you can do?

Other than that it's ultimately a way to attain efficiency.
To get good drops in SR you need a lot of attempts.
If you can do 8 attempts in the time other groups do 3, it means you have more chances to get the gear you need.

Personally I'm happy when my group can stay under 10 mins.
Sadly many PUGs I've joined require a lot more or even time out, sigh.
The "safest" setup I found to do this with PUG and people I don't know, is the one with BSTs.
Which is strange considering how many salty tears BSTs shed over the last weeks, but it seems to me BST as a job is still very efficient, more than many people like to claim it is.

I think 10 minutes is the magic number. If fights are regularly taking longer then people start to get frustrated and don't want to start. If someone only wants 5 minute fights, regardless of NM set, then they are going to be putting themselves in a very small box. This event doesn't really penalize you for experimenting or using non-super-optimal setups. So like someone could go with two solid WAR, DRK or DRG's and still win within a 10 minute window, as long as those players weren't lazy. You could use DNCs, THFs, melee CORs, NINs, MNKs or even a ranged setup and still win within 10 minutes as long as people knew how to play.

It's a really good breath of fresh air after the game got so centered around abusing a game mechanic to cheese a fight.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-10-06 05:23:42  
^ what Saev said.
Plus I found the type of randomness involved with SR drops quite acceptable.
The fact that it's not completely random (but a fixed table) and the fact you get 3 possible rewards just for yourself every time you complete it make the event particularly, I dunno, it feels very "rewarding" to me?
For my personal tastes it feels like that, in addition to being a lot of fun (of coures it does get old, like everything, if you spam it every bloody day)

One of the best thing SE added over the last months imho, despite its simplicity.
Not sure I can say the same about many other things SE added lately... Just my tastes, of course.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-10-06 05:28:41  
I hope SE introduces more SR, perhaps versions for each expansion, RoV has shown that Balamor can get bored and exert his influence in more areas than just Adoulin.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-10-06 06:29:39  
Wishful thinking, considering that the last content patch will be in november.
But then again nobody was expecting SR either, so who knows.

I'm more expecting a temporary campaign boosting the "augment quality" in SR coming in december.
Kinda like we recently had one boosting the original Skirmish augments quality etc
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-10-06 11:01:44  
Kill speed has been an integral part of the game for a very long time. I'm not surprised at all to see it popping up here.
 Bahamut.Foreverj
user: Foreverj
By Bahamut.Foreverj 2015-10-07 15:15:38  
Is thief dancer with support good for sinister?
Is thief blue better?

What's the best support? Geo cor or Geo bard? Thanks for answer
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-10-07 17:01:51  
Any melees work fine, though I think the synergy between two jobs depends more so on the players and their ability to SC, etc. The better question would be "does that person have more skill with DNC or BLU?" Personally, I work best as RUN with my brother on DRG.

As for support, COR has it a bit rougher on a melee setup because of Dispel (and to some extent, Amnesia).
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14