SE Does See The Problem With Pld....

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » SE does see the problem with pld....
SE does see the problem with pld....
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Pandemonium.Snugglebunny
サーバ: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: Naten
By Pandemonium.Snugglebunny 2011-08-09 00:15:26  
cause im always mad
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-09 00:16:58  
yes

now direct your eyes back to your television, a tiamat window's about to roll around and we have some alligators to obtain
 Pandemonium.Snugglebunny
By Pandemonium.Snugglebunny 2011-08-09 00:19:28  
If anything they need to add new hnm, tired of slobs thinking abysea is endgame, with their lack of skill atma crutching bs.
 Bahamut.Serj
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-08-09 00:24:43  
HNM are easy. Claiming [insert everything wrong with global hnms here].

Voidwatch pt2 coming soon. So, there ya go.
 Asura.Natenn
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Natenn 2011-08-09 00:27:13  
ehhhh i like fighting for claims more, less of that uber rare stuff around.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-08-09 00:31:48  
Asura.Natenn said:
I agree, D ring is probably the only thing that makes me "ooh" anymore when I check someone.
 Cerberus.Kelhor
Administrator
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Rooks
By Cerberus.Kelhor 2011-08-09 00:33:19  
Even D.ring isn't a matter of competition anymore; just a matter of how lucky you are with drop rates (or how much you farm kindred seals).
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-08-09 00:36:52  
Cerberus.Kelhor said:
Even D.ring isn't a matter of competition anymore; just a matter of how lucky you are with drop rates (or how much you farm kindred seals).
it's still rare. KB pops aren't raining from the sky even if you do have some KS here and there, on top of the fact that it's still a really slim chance.
 Cerberus.Deadmaus
user: Danzo
By Cerberus.Deadmaus 2011-08-09 00:38:49  
***, I've only seen 1 KB after 20-30 NQs.
 Cerberus.Kelhor
Administrator
By Cerberus.Kelhor 2011-08-09 00:39:13  
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
it's still rare. KB pops aren't raining from the sky even if you do have some KS here and there, on top of the fact that it's still a really slim chance.

Oh, no disputing the rarity; there's a reason it's still in the Rank 1 prizes for the Bonanza. Natenn was talking about competiton, though, and it used to be a measure of that, too, since to get one you not only had to claim KB, but you had to claim him a lot.
 Bahamut.Serj
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-08-09 00:41:18  
Asura.Natenn said:

Make the nms harder to kill.

Honestly, I expect there to be new AV/PW-at-75-cap NMs, in degree of difficulty. I also hope they introduce new gear in to old fights that they redo to make challenging. Alexander V2, Bahamut V3, all that jazz. Issue is, they'd need to be really challenging, meaning, can't be zerged.

I made the suggestion in some random thread a long time ago, but I'd love for them to make 6 man and 18 man versions of the same fight, but with different rewards.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kelhor
Administrator
By Cerberus.Kelhor 2011-08-09 00:44:11  
I am absolutely on board with an 18 man non-zergable Bahamut V3.

It'd probably convince me to stop slacking and finish my damn shield
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2011-08-09 00:44:49  
Pandemonium.Ironguy said:
make pld main's ce/ve caps higher than any other main job and i'd be content tbh;
I think their second statement basically precludes this. The game would just be stupid if a mob is wailing away at a PLD (a job that poses almost zero threat to anything) while 17 DDs are doing their over9000 damage WSs to it without gaining any attention.

IMO the enmity system isn't broken. If someone just did an absurd amount of damage to you, you'd probably want to attack them instead of the Paladin that's tickling you with their toy sword, blocking all your hits with their shield, and the most threatening thing they can do is cure themselves for the very damage you're inflicting on them. Be careful not to ***your pants; I just did.

The whole purpose of PLD has been lost. Nay, it never was. We just took 9 years to realize it. I wish they'd just delete the job already.
[+]
 Sylph.Rorrick
サーバ: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-08-09 00:55:35  
Ragnarok.Kongming said:

The whole purpose of PLD has been lost. Nay, it never was. We just took 9 years to realize it.

This is the problem, not enmity generation.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-08-09 01:06:24  
Ragnarok.Beef said:
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
lol yea.
Implying the game isn't already boring as hell.

and yet people still play.
Addictions say sup.
 Cerberus.Deadmaus
user: Danzo
By Cerberus.Deadmaus 2011-08-09 01:17:37  
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Ragnarok.Beef said:
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
lol yea.
Implying the game isn't already boring as hell.

and yet people still play.
Addictions say sup.
E-love also says hey. Plane tickets are too expensive.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-09 01:18:21  
Ragnarok.Kongming said:
I think their second statement basically precludes this. The game would just be stupid if a mob is wailing away at a PLD (a job that poses almost zero threat to anything) while 17 DDs are doing their over9000 damage WSs to it without gaining any attention.

you're right with this in the sense of that it would be rather easy if you were able to unleash like that offensively as a paladin took care of what you'd be taking back defensively, but sadly, that's pretty much the absolute and only solution to "fixing" the job, really, because as it stands currently, the only reason to bring it to vwnm (the only place it belongs atm of course) is to use it as a crutch to not full-wiping in a worst case scenario (melee dying), more or less
 Odin.Sawtelle
サーバ: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2011-08-09 01:26:22  
I view my job as pld in vwnm is to find procs and hold hate between my DD's fanatics drinks. Plus pld does really well at slowly taking down NMs while not taking much dmg thus mages and DDs can focus less while getting lights up. Wars aren't exactly hate machines when they are cycling through staff WSs.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-09 01:32:14  
Odin.Sawtelle said:
Wars aren't exactly hate machines when they are cycling through staff WSs.

that's why you only have one do it, not both ;z lol

black mage(s), ninja and so forth spam dia/ninjutsu for magic stagger knowledge, one warrior rotates weapon skills for blue if you happen to be so inclined for the alignment from it aside from white staggers

regardless, the no-wipe crutch factor is pretty nice in the case of low-manning vwnm currently, but rest assured, the moment samurai and warriors can begin sustaining the hits from these things without issue (for crimson/indigo/jade paths, perhaps lv95 will be enough), paladin will once again fall off the face of the earth
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-09 01:33:57  
i miss the good days when you just spammed blm at ***.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-09 01:36:24  
i miss the good old days where PENTATHRUSTPENTATHRUSTPENTATHRUSTPENTATHRUSTPENTATHRUSTPENTATHRUSTPENTATHRUST
PENTATHRUSTPENTATHRUSTPENTATHRUSTPENTATHRUSTPENTATHRUSTPENTATHRUSTPENTATHRUST

from a single knowledgeable sam/war in einherjar/etc was 25% of all damage or more with ease
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Moghedian
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Moggly
By Bismarck.Moghedian 2011-08-09 02:41:19  
What's wrong with pld is the game mechanics. SE falls into the same trap as any other MMO out there. Hate mechanics just don't make sense.

This is a well written blog post on the subject: Threatening MMOs

Only way to actually fix paldin is to make it a real threat to the mob.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-08-09 02:48:15  
Bismarck.Moghedian said:
What's wrong with pld is the game mechanics. SE falls into the same trap as any other MMO out there. Hate mechanics just don't make sense.

This is a well written blog post on the subject: Threatening MMOs

Only way to actually fix paldin is to make it a real threat to the mob.
Actually, out of all of the MMOs I've played, FFXI's community has provided me with the most info on how the mechanics work. :|
 Seraph.Gilhaven
サーバ: Seraph
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-08-09 03:20:46  
Delete pld from the game entirely...poof...problem solved.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-08-09 03:42:26  
Make NMs hit harder, increase the 10k hate cap for pld onry. (or lower the cap for every other job)
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-08-09 03:44:01  
What made PLD so much more valuable before Abyssea was released?

Damage mitigation.

Before the advent of Auto-Refresh atma, mages actually had to monitor their MP, rather than spamming spells non-stop. If a mage needed to recover MP, then the party/alliance either needed to slow down its assault, or swap in a "fresh" mage who was waiting outside the group. PLD fit this strategy well, because PLD could contribute to Healing magic, and reduce the damage caused by hits/nukes from the Target. If was quite common for groups to use Trick Attacks to "set" hate on their PLD, particularly SAM/THF.

But who needs damage mitigation when your MNK can have 5000 HP, counter most of the attacks directed at it, and be spam-cured by a WHM who has nearly limitless MP?

The only ways S-E can restore PLD to prominence are to:
1. remove, or seriously decrease, mages' ability to spam-cure,
2. *GREATLY* increase a PLD's enmity gain (allowing PLD a higher "cap" on enmity than all other jobs) and damage mitigation capability, or,
3. grant PLD a potent sword WS that isn't Atonement.

I've heard and seen that the higher level Voidwatch NM's pretty much require PLD (and a very well-equipped PLD at that), and that the style of WAR and MNK tanking that's en vogue in Abyssea is basically worthless against those Boss mobs. So, there is hope for PLDs out there once the post-90 version updates come to pass. Getting an Ochain upgraded will be easier when players are level 95, too, instead of level 90.
 Bahamut.Darrka
By Bahamut.Darrka 2011-08-09 03:54:19  
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:

Damage mitigation.

You nailed the problem here, but the solutions were bad. Raising PLD's cap does what? Allows the PLD to indefinitely hold hate while DDs go balls to the wall and only have to worry about AoE damage. That's broken. VW doesn't require a PLD, but it helps as a fail safe for those who don't have the means to DD tank. Much like HNM at 75.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-09 04:10:39  
PLD doesn't need a fix, just needs to be outside of abyssea just like other useless jobs such as SAM, DRK, DRG, etc.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8