Firefox Woes, IE?!

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » Firefox woes, IE?!
Firefox woes, IE?!
 Bahamut.Godbringer
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Godbringer 2010-01-09 00:56:53  
I've been using Chrome for awhile now, and it's insane to see how far it has come since I started using it. I build sites as well, and lately have zero probs with it. I love the launch page with visual bookmarks and it's just fast as hell. No idea why some ppl have a slow chrome.

And as far as installing a program on your PC to block ads... just do this: http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/
 Siren.Eagleeyes
サーバ: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-01-09 01:01:55  
OP you also never stated which version of Firefox you are using.

You should post post that along with your operating system and system specs.

testing facebook with FF 3.7a1 and not seeing any sort of hanging or memory leaks.

Bahamut.Godbringer said:
I've been using Chrome for awhile now, and it's insane to see how far it has come since I started using it. I build sites as well, and lately have zero probs with it. I love the launch page with visual bookmarks and it's just fast as hell. No idea why some ppl have a slow chrome.

And as far as installing a program on your PC to block ads... just do this: http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/

It's sorta funny seeing a site owner telling someone how to block ads. lol EDIT: oh wait site builder oops
By semimmortal 2010-01-09 01:18:35  
The OP did mention reinstalling firefox multiple times... but at the same time, I am kinda interesting in what version it is.
800Mb sounds too much of a BS especially with the one I'm using currently (3.5.7) and it's impossible, even if I tried, to reach the number mentioned.

Result of leaving 13 tabs on 24/7 for 5 months~

As others mentioned, Chrome is a really good choice if you're a casual user. Used it for a while and I found it really easy to use with hardly any hiccups for a while...
Though I'll stick to firefox looking back at the way I'm abusing my browser.
I'd rather have a single entity than 15 Chrome.exe running at the same time :\
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-09 01:22:49  
semimmortal said:
The OP did mention reinstalling firefox multiple times... but at the same time, I am kinda interesting in what version it is. 800Mb sounds too much of a BS especially with the one I'm using currently (3.5.7)
Theres been several threads of people having similar issues for the last few weeks
 Siren.Eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-01-09 01:23:34  
semimmortal said:
The OP did mention reinstalling firefox multiple times... but at the same time, I am kinda interesting in what version it is.
800Mb sounds too much of a BS especially with the one I'm using currently (3.5.7) and it's impossible, even if I tried, to reach the number mentioned.

Result of leaving 13 tabs on 24/7 for 5 months~

As others mentioned, Chrome is a really good choice if you're a casual user. Used it for a while and I found it really easy to use with hardly any hiccups for a while...
Though I'll stick to firefox looking back at the way I'm abusing my browser.
I'd rather have a single entity than 15 Chrome.exe running at the same time :\

LOL You're not gonna like FF 4.0 then lol. Mozilla is planning on using the sandbox scheme too with 4.0
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2010-01-09 01:25:04  
You're not even supposed to let Windows run for 5 months straight :<
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-09 01:27:31  
Garuda.Antipika said:
You're not even supposed to let Windows run for 5 months straight :<
But you can... now anyways. Poor windows 94
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2010-01-09 01:53:55  
What I meant is that even in a Corporate environment, computer are restarted from time to time to avoid stability issues.

I do remember that a major incident happened at London Heathrow Airport because someone did forgot to restart a computer (they were supposed to restart Windows every 30 days). At day 41st, system crashed...
 Unicorn.Emirii
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Emerii1
By Unicorn.Emirii 2010-01-09 13:05:59  
I'm using the current updated firefox

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7

So I'm guessing Firefox 3.5.7. I'm on windows 7 and i'm convinced that's the reason behind it all. Windows 7 beta/release has been out a while now and i'm sure if firefox could fix this issue they would have already.

however I haven't tried Chrome in about 5 months like i said, so i'll try that again and see what i come up with. Until they make firefox work a bit better with windows 7 i am looking for an alternative.
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-01-09 13:25:37  
I didn't see this said already, but if you're firefox is hanging up and not responding for no reason (like mine was) then I think I fixed it. It's not windows 7 because the downstairs computer uses it and it runs perfectly fine.

Open a new tab, and go to About:config. it'll open up a load of crap. use the filter bar at the top and type in "browser.cache". I changed the browser.cache.disk.capacity to 15000 (firefox site recommended this was how to do it.) and I've noticed much less hang-ups and is running fairly well now...
 Shiva.Darkshade
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-01-09 13:32:11  
Use Internet Explorer
^---^
( a a )
\_U_/
Complain about PC problems
 Unicorn.Emirii
By Unicorn.Emirii 2010-01-09 13:59:03  
Alexander.Ultrarichard said:
I didn't see this said already, but if you're firefox is hanging up and not responding for no reason (like mine was) then I think I fixed it. It's not windows 7 because the downstairs computer uses it and it runs perfectly fine.

Open a new tab, and go to About:config. it'll open up a load of crap. use the filter bar at the top and type in "browser.cache". I changed the browser.cache.disk.capacity to 15000 (firefox site recommended this was how to do it.) and I've noticed much less hang-ups and is running fairly well now...

mine was already at 51200, not sure if i should go any higher :(
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-01-09 14:02:45  
Unicorn.Emirii said:

mine was 51200. lower it to 15000.. lol
 Ragnarok.Titox
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Titox
By Ragnarok.Titox 2010-01-09 14:15:20  
i use firefox personally

I tested Firefox, IE and Chrome to see how take more resource of the PC....actually Firefox takes more...but firefox have more protection if you have the current addons....but Chrome takes very little resource and seems nice at the moment better than IE...still testing it.....about IE....had horrors years ago with errors before studying computer tech..and i don't trust microsoft products...but i don't have a choice lol

i never had problem with firefox since 3 or 4 years ago o.O
currently testing Chrome so i cannot say much about it beside the very low resources it takes...and that's always a plus ^^
 Gilgamesh.Andras
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Andras
By Gilgamesh.Andras 2010-01-09 20:38:50  
Having errors with Firefox lately myself, I've also ran into a problem with ending the process, Task Manager seems to wimp out when I choose to do it. And this only happens when I download something such as installers or software.
 Siren.Eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-01-09 20:43:10  
Unicorn.Emirii said:
I'm using the current updated firefox

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7

So I'm guessing Firefox 3.5.7. I'm on windows 7 and i'm convinced that's the reason behind it all. Windows 7 beta/release has been out a while now and i'm sure if firefox could fix this issue they would have already.

however I haven't tried Chrome in about 5 months like i said, so i'll try that again and see what i come up with. Until they make firefox work a bit better with windows 7 i am looking for an alternative.

Grab Firefox beta 3.6, and see if it solves your issue. I don't recommend 3.7 alpha unless you're willing to give up add ons
 Phoenix.Baelorn
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2010-01-09 21:22:01  
semimmortal said:
The OP did mention reinstalling firefox multiple times

This could actually be the source of the problems if it wasn't completely removed every time. Might want to look into that.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-01-09 22:39:56  
I forget what version it was, but a while back Firefox upgraded to a new version and it crashed on a constant basis. Even checking my e-mail became a 20 minute ordeal because of the constant crashing. I dealt with it, until Chrome came out. Honestly, I haven't looked back since Chrome.

The devs of Firefox really dropped the ball, honestly. They turned a great product into crap.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-01-09 23:54:54  
I actually think they have a pretty amazing project in Firefox. As far as I know the problems people have with Firefox are more the minority and the exception instead of the rule. Mine never goes 250MB and generally idles a bit lower, but I also create brand new profiles every few months or before big updates so as not to drag the same profile through all the various changes and updates and hope things work. I can understand the sizable RAM use being an issue in older systems with less than 1GB available, though.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
サーバ: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2010-01-09 23:56:47  
The smartbar is just ♥, ♥, and more ♥.
 Unicorn.Emirii
By Unicorn.Emirii 2010-01-10 00:15:44  
Unicorn.Emirii said:
I didn't see this said already, but if you're firefox is hanging up and not responding for no reason (like mine was) then I think I fixed it. It's not windows 7 because the downstairs computer uses it and it runs perfectly fine. Open a new tab, and go to About:config. it'll open up a load of crap. use the filter bar at the top and type in "browser.cache". I changed the browser.cache.disk.capacity to 15000 (firefox site recommended this was how to do it.) and I've noticed much less hang-ups and is running fairly well now...
mine was 51200. lower it to 15000.. lol

lol ok i lowered it~ If this doesnt solve it, i'll try to install beta, but if not chrome seems like another thing to look into. Thanks guys!
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-01-10 01:42:13  
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
As far as I know the problems people have with Firefox are more the minority and the exception instead of the rule.

Sorry Cai, <3 ya to death, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. Firefox's issues since 3.0 hasn't been a few isolated incidents. It's been pretty well documented, across multiple websites and forums. The release of 3.0 completely killed Firefox for me. And as this poster so eloquently put on the Firefox forums:
Quote:
And no, I do not want to have to go back to an earlier version, or download a bunch of stuff, or fiddle around with the files. I want a browser that works. I don't need endless updates, I don't need toots and whistles, just something that works without me having to fool around with it. Firefox filled the bill beautifully until this latest update. Maybe I'm not with it, maybe I'm just lazy, but not everyone wants to sit around tweaking their durn net browser all the time!

it pretty much hits the nail on the head. I shouldn't have to jump through endless hoops to troubleshoot my browser just to check my friggin e-mail. It should work as is. Period.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-10 01:54:27  
And there is no way I'm gunna use a browser that can by itself suck up more ram than I even got in my computer
 Gilgamesh.Andras
By Gilgamesh.Andras 2010-01-10 14:21:46  
All the sudden i cant copy or paste with firefox
 Asura.Artemicion
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-01-10 15:19:19  
Firefox seems just fine to me in its barebones state. Adding too many bells and whistles can well... make any browser look like this:

Gilgamesh.Andras
By Gilgamesh.Andras 2010-01-10 15:57:01  
Asura.Artemicion said:
Firefox seems just fine to me in its barebones state. Adding too many bells and whistles can well... make any browser look like this:

lmfao, who does that?
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-01-10 16:23:48  
Gilgamesh.Andras said:
lmfao, who does that?
MOTHERS. Mothers *** love toolbars, can't get enough of them.
 Gilgamesh.Andras
By Gilgamesh.Andras 2010-01-10 17:34:15  
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
Gilgamesh.Andras said:
lmfao, who does that?

Orly?
 Unicorn.Emirii
By Unicorn.Emirii 2010-01-11 08:45:36  
lol, i'd have to say i agree with Caiyuo.

Changing the cache seemed to fix it slightly, but its still hogging ram and freezes occasionally still with facebook.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-01-11 08:47:44  
Gilgamesh.Andras said:
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
Gilgamesh.Andras said:
lmfao, who does that?

Orly?

or people who don't know to UNCHECK the box that asks you if you wanna install another toolbar.

FF over IE or your first born sons will be sacrificed to the Gods of Cyber Violence.