Riot 4: Rocky vs. Ivan
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-31 15:56:18  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Not at all, unless you want to get technically semantic.

No one has to lose for me to succeed, except that if I gain a dollar it invariably had to come from someone losing it. It's not the same.

Or say: I just ate an apple, technically, 8 billion people lost the chance to eat that apple, so. yeah, in that sense.
If that's what you think this whole argument is, then I feel very sorry for you.

Instead of you eating the apple and stopping others from eating that apple, I would figure out a way to grow more apples. Instead of taking that dollar from somebody else, I would think of ways to create more wealth.

You think that resources are limited, and you are correct in a way. But you can turn those limited resources and increase it all by a combination of creation and efficiency.

You see a pie and think that only so many slices can be made from it. I see a pie and think about how to make it bigger.

And I strongly suggest you read just one book. It's called The Wealth of Nations. It was written in 1776 and the principles then holds true today.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-31 16:08:13  
Merely a statement that you can make anything zero sum if you want to get semantic enough.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-07-31 16:10:57  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
$200 is the best the Republicans will do. Take it or leave it.

And this is why we're counting down to the country being burned to the ground in a matter of days.
There is more to this country than California, Portland, Seattle, and New York....

The only states that matter are Democrat controlled states, everyone else are deplorable's. Not to mention you can't be black unless you vote Democrat.

PPP do not need more money. Things are improving, and the federal government should not subsidize states who refuse to open.

If California wants to close down until election day, by all means let them. Let their voters decide if that was the right decision. Don't punish Wisconsin for that decision.

That is what's really going on. The Democrats want to get the US tax payer to fund their 2020 anti-Trump election campaign. Everything from the "Russian Collusion" investigation to the radically partisan impeachment hearings as been tax payer funded political advertisement for the Democrats.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-31 16:14:30  
Merely a statement that you can make anything zero sum if you want to get semantic enough.
Only if you want to.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-07-31 16:37:48  
Viciouss said: »
PPP and education need money, at the absolute least.
PPP do not need more money. Things are improving, and the federal government should not subsidize states who refuse to open.

If California wants to close down until election day, by all means let them. Let their voters decide if that was the right decision. Don't punish Wisconsin for that decision.

And education is already bloated as it is. We have protesters toppling down statues of absolutists and civil rights leaders for crying out loud, all while praising the organization that a well-known racist and eugenicist started for the sole sake of her racist tendencies.

We need better education standards, the money spent on education now is just providing more idiots in society.

Give me reason to spend more money on either of those two programs, and maybe I would agree with your notion that they need funding.

Things are not improving. Yesterday the USA added 68,000 cases and 1200 deaths, expect those daily numbers to continue to increase. The main culprit continues to be the incompetently led Florida, whose testing has slowed down because there is a hurricane bearing down on them. But they are still adding 9k cases a day, so is Texas and California. So no, things are not getting better for the country. People continue to lose their jobs, as I said the last two weeks we have had 2 million new unemployment cases.

Meanwhile you look at Oregon oh my gosh poor Portland all those protesters their covid numbers must be off the charts insane what bad leadership...oh wait..only 18k cases, total. Thats two days in Florida. Maybe the protests aren't spreading covid as much as the Republicans wish.

Schools need money to safely reopen. If you want kids to go back to school, you have to fund them. And as we are seeing, more and more school districts are ignoring Trump and going remote, because its not safe for them to reopen. Because conditions remain terrible.

Testing also remains bad. Trump loves to throw out the total test number as if it means something. But the testing process is lagging. It takes 4-5 days to get results now, tests aren't available in a lot of cities for people that aren't showing symptoms, even if they believe they have been exposed and would like to be tested.

So there is definitely going to be another bill, even Moscow Mitch understands that, despite effectively being kicked out of negotiations. Its going to increase PPP, increase educational funding, increase testing funding, extend unemployment UI, extend the evictions notice, send out stimulus checks, and send funding to the states. The longer it takes, the more desperate Trump will become.
By Viciouss 2020-07-31 16:38:25  
There is a storm here so I have to stop, the electricity is spiking in and out, meant to type more tho.
By Prong 2020-08-01 01:43:50  
This is the thing I'm having trouble getting past with the UI. And I am open to logical ideas and discussion. In other words, change my mind.

In the long past, I've been on unemployment before for about 6 months iirc. I recall getting like, 50% of what I was normally receiving per week, I think my unemployment check was around $330 per week.

There was no Covid then, but I was (and everyone else on unemployment) expected to get by on that lesser amount and I did. So now there is Covid. Covid has not made groceries cost 200% more, gas has actually lowered in price this summer, rent surely has not increased, etc. So I ask, why do people on unemployment now need an extra $600 per week? What about Covid made the normal person on unemployment suddenly need...$3,700 per month when based on how unemployment works, they are actually receiving more than when they worked?

Now some may say due to Covid and shut down orders in some states, it makes it more difficult to find employment once unemployed in a timely manner...fair enough. But, for that argument to hold water in the matter of needing over twice as much money as you normally get (let's be honest, in the situation we are mostly talking about minimum wage level workers who live check to check being evicted due to non-payment, not those making $60,000+ per year) there must be some solid data that shows in normal times, unemployed people find new employment that pays MORE than what they were accustomed in a very short period of time, which I'd guess simply is not true.

So, why would those who've been getting paid money they would normally not be accustomed to have now NEED to get that same amount or more so that they don't riot in the streets? That sounds more like a sociological issue with humans being influenced by bad actors, not an unfairness issue with them no longer receiving UI.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-01 01:53:23  
Context and location.

I can get by a whole year on 3600 if I want to. Guy in NY CA FL drops 3600 a month on a shoebox "apartment". has nothing for bills and food.

Rent is insane. Housing prices are insane. Can't buy a house can't afford rent, don't have a family safety net. (let's not do the well don't live in a city then thing again)

Should "everyone" get $600+base pay, no. Would it cost too much time and money to evaluate every single person case by case to determine who/where needs what? yeah. Could they have just frozen all bills and give 200 a week? yup. Lots of "could haves" and "did nots".
By Prong 2020-08-01 02:46:11  
Context and location.

I can get by a whole year on 3600 if I want to. Guy in NY CA FL drops 3600 a month on a shoebox "apartment". has nothing for bills and food.

Rent is insane. Housing prices are insane. Can't buy a house can't afford rent, don't have a family safety net. (let's not do the well don't live in a city then thing again)

Should "everyone" get $600+base pay, no. Would it cost too much time and money to evaluate every single person case by case to determine who/where needs what? yeah. Could they have just frozen all bills and give 200 a week? yup. Lots of "could haves" and "did nots".

But that does not explain why they were expected to survive at any other time period on whatever their states pays in unemployment, but can't now due to Covid. Covid has not made anything more expensive.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-08-01 09:22:36  
Prong said: »
Context and location.

But that does not explain why they were expected to survive at any other time period on whatever their states pays in unemployment, but can't now due to Covid. Covid has not made anything more expensive.
They were not expected to survive on unemployment.

2020 Maximum Weekly Unemployment Benefits By State

Unemployment Benefits Comparison by State

FL. Max $275 / week for 12 weeks. Needless to say if you worked at minimum wage you are not collecting the max.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-01 10:54:22  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Exactly.

Unemployment benefits are not there to support a person, it is a stopgap for a person between jobs.

Which is why the $600/week is a major mistake.
[+]
By volkom 2020-08-01 12:03:04  
I can't seem to find this on a left leaning media site.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/watch-protesters-burn-bibles-in-portland-rip-protective-boarding-off-buildings

There's some nice clips of peaceful protesters vandalizing some buildings and burning flags and books. Just add in some swastikas and hand gestures and we get a scene from the 1930s.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-08-01 12:08:44  
Seems like Andy Ngo is up to his usual sensationalist "reporting."

Even Fox News reported last night was a dramatic shift since the Feds started pulling out.

Portland sees largely peaceful protests as Feds withdraw
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-01 12:28:12  
Seems like Andy Ngo is up to his usual sensationalist "reporting."

Even Fox News reported last night was a dramatic shift since the Feds started pulling out.

Portland sees largely peaceful protests as Feds withdraw
Maybe because they arrested the rioters?

A protest without riots is a peaceful protest. Who knew?
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-01 12:31:35  
According to you they're all rioters. Seems quite impossible to have arrested them all.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-01 12:33:36  
I only stated that because some people claim that all rioters are white supremacists, and there is no Antifa.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-01 12:48:10  
One more piece of the "doin the right thing" puzzle

Quote:
Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont signed comprehensive police accountability legislation into law Friday afternoon.
The law institutes a new statewide watchdog for police misconduct, bans "chokeholds" in most instances and puts limits on the ability of police departments to withhold officers' disciplinary records. It also allows individual officers to be held financially liable in civil suits over their actions.
The law requires all departments statewide to equip officers with body-worn cameras and places limits on the military equipment Connecticut police departments can acquire or use.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-01 13:07:38  
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2020/TOB/H/PDF/2020HB-06004-R00-HB.PDF

I was going to tl;dr it but I don't want to read 71 pages either.

Skimming it checks a lot, not all the boxes.

Cameras, accountability, more police that represent the community they police, "re-certifying" to maintain qualifications, oversight committee, "more better training, by more better trainers", no chokeholds, no QI, limits on military gear, excessive force and appropriate response.

Nothing on unions, but rolling back some of the problems unions (for police, specifically) cause.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-08-01 17:18:56  
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-01 17:21:25  
Chanti, come on. Don’t even begin to pretend that those Antifa losers are in any way like the soldiers who took down Nazi Germany.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-08-01 18:48:28  
In one way they are.

Two if you count violence.
By Prong 2020-08-01 18:57:55  
Context and location.

2020 Maximum Weekly Unemployment Benefits By State

Unemployment Benefits Comparison by State

FL. Max $275 / week for 12 weeks. Needless to say if you worked at minimum wage you are not collecting the max.

Still does not explain why there being Covid means people NEED more money if they are unemployed compared to when they are unemployed when there is not Covid. Covid did not make anything more expensive. You are just making a statement of, "people on unemployment wages don't get enough, in general."
By Prong 2020-08-01 19:01:40  
In one way they are.

Two if you count violence.

Wasn't Vic saying something about, "posting in good faith?" This certainly is not. To imply the Antifa bad actors of today are doing anything noble is laughable, at best.
[+]
 Phoenix.Thorbean
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2020-08-01 19:21:48  
You only need to look at how antifa treat people who don't agree with them to know what kind of people they are. They only care about the rights of people who agree with their point of view. Everyone else is beyond reproach, sub human and needs to be destroyed. Sound familiar?

They can't be bad because they call themselves "antifa" right? They are against the bad guys, it's in the name. If the KKK rebranded themselves as "Antira" are they immune from being racists because of their name?

It's just like what the scientologists do to people who don't agree with them, but on a much larger scale. Pure cancer. All must become assimilated! Diversity of skin pigmentation is more important than diversity of thought.

The silent majority aren't as stupid as the left think. Antifa/BLM/ClimateEmergency activists, they are all slices of the same dirty cake. It doesn't matter what you cover it up with, the problem is the ingredients, it's still unhealthy and it still tastes like ***to the majority of the population.
[+]
By Prong 2020-08-01 19:38:10  
Phoenix.Thorbean said: »
You only need to look at how antifa treat people who don't agree with them to know what kind of people they are. They only care about the rights of people who agree with their point of view. Everyone else is beyond reproach, sub human and needs to be destroyed. Sound familiar?

They can't be bad because they call themselves "antifa" right? They are against the bad guys, it's in the name. If the KKK rebranded themselves as "Antira" are they immune from being racists because of their name?

It's just like what the scientologists do to people who don't agree with them, but on a much larger scale. Pure cancer. All must become assimilated! Diversity of skin pigmentation is more important than diversity of thought.

The silent majority aren't as stupid as the left think. Antifa/BLM/ClimateEmergency activists, they are all slices of the same dirty cake. It doesn't matter what you cover it up with, the problem is the ingredients, it's still unhealthy and it still tastes like ***to the majority of the population.

On top of all that what mesmerizes me the most about the majority of these quacks is, I've never or super rarely seen one that appears to be over the age of 23. They haven't even lived long enough to face the trials and hardships they scream about. And if the whole 'systemic racism' get is true, which they seem to think it is, the vast majority of the Antifa followers are white, so they've not dealt with that, either.

If they really think that their life living in current condition America is so hard at that age, better buckle up, Buttercup. They are all going to turn the car on in the garage with the door shut by the time they reach 35 if this level of despair is too much for them to handle.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-08-01 20:18:55  

Yea, it sounds just like Trump and his base.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-01 20:58:42  

I never pegged you as an Antifa supporter/appologizer.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-01 21:03:02  
If they really think that their life living in current condition America is so hard at that age, better buckle up, Buttercup. They are all going to turn the car on in the garage with the door shut by the time they reach 35 if this level of despair is too much for them to handle.
Just imagine how they would have handled it if either of the 2 were true:

1) Living life in America pre-1940s.
2) Living life outside of western civilization today.

#2 is even worse if they go to any African or Middle East country.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-08-01 21:14:39  

I never pegged you as an Antifa supporter/appologizer.

It's just been funny to see how desperate the right is to scapegoat "Antifa" while completely ignoring the equal amount of antagonists they have at all of these protests/riots.
By volkom 2020-08-01 22:12:40  
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18