フォーラム » FFXI » General » XI Was So Challenging, It Brought People Together
XI Was So Challenging, It Brought People Together
 Sylph.Cherche
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-14 21:14:53  
Odinz said: »
Sylph.Cherche said: »
XIV 2.0/3.0 are functional and literally every combat class can be used in every bit of content without causing extreme duress on your healers.
Remember when they thought it was a good idea to have dps checks for healers?
A few good WHMs and SCHs I know quit...never to return.
It's unfortunate they couldn't keep up with the games mechanics after people bitched to Yoshida at numerous conventions about how easy Final Coil/raiding in general was.

Optimized party synergy is only necessary for world first progression, because you're going in at 20 ilvls below the gear that drops from the raid with the intent of spending all day breaking down mechanics and how to deal with them.

Once your ilvl ramps up a bit, any composition within the 2/2/4 set-up will work. And as ilvl continues to climb, so does the ability to use completely silly compositions.
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-14 21:16:09  
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
literally every combat class can be used in every bit of content without causing extreme duress on your healers.
No.

Also no.

And tbh, no.

I don't care to argue the rest, but this part is plain laughable.
I'm sorry you seemingly know nothing about how the game is played.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2016-08-14 21:32:02  
Enuyasha said: »
Asura.Vyre said: »
literally every combat class can be used in every bit of content without causing extreme duress on your healers.
No.

Also no.

And tbh, no.

Yes.
Also, yes.

And honesty has nothing to do with it, yes.

And you must have misinterpreted Raenil, because with XIV in its current state there are no problem jobs. Not within the confines of setup prerequisites.

maldini said: »
Creaucent Alazrin said: »
Warrior was trash when 2.0 first came out
Nah, it was just harder to play. So they made it easier.
Also, My experience and much of what I said includes the 1.0.

In my opnion, FFXIV 1.23 was where the game should have stayed.
It was at 1.23 that they got serious about retaining customers. They could have reduced the entry graphics like they did for 2.0, but other than that we were just missing content. Maybe a little less clunklyness but that would have been resolved by reducing the animations frames and graphics.

1.23 was so good I actually miss it, and have an itch to go and steel cyclone materia pt.

2.0 didn't retain ANY of the good elements from both FFXIV 1.0-1.23 or FFXI.
Having been a Warrior main since 2.0, I take issue with this statement, and all of your previously stated "elitist" strategy claims.

The only way you were effectively DPSing as a "Warrior" in 2.0, was if you were going Marauder and setting DPS sub abilities(Raging Strikes, Straight Shot, etc.). DPSing as WAR main tank was not a thing. You could maximize your performance sure, but you weren't doing what WARs of today are doing, nor WARs of late 2.0.

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
No.

Also no.

And tbh, no.

Why is it laughable? With a DPSx4/Healerx2/Tankx2 setup you can bring in any jobs you want that fit that setup.

This is most likely what he is talking about
to be specific, the most optimal settup would be MCH NIN DRG WHM SCH SMN WAR DRK to get every bit of DPS and utility out of a limited 8 person settup with no duplicates. PLD and AST dont do enough DPS, despite their obvious advantages, MNK doesnt have a vulnerability up or crit rate up buff and DK debuff doesnt work with DRKs (Which i think is ultimately stupid). BRD doesnt have a vulnerability or crit rate up buff and the songs are the same potency as turrets before BV and BV is on a ridiculous recast timer. BLM right now cant stand still and cast for their highest DPS and they lack supervirus/E4E which is pretty vital in a multi-target forced double tank environment.

so in actuality, sure certain jobs have certain niche circumstances where you can switch out a job or two but ultimately the game depending on what patch it is does not support all jobs being represented equally in their respected roles.

An ideal composition only matters in early raid cycles, and usually SMN is not within the standards of all raid fight environments, namely ones involving phases with multiple spread out adds(see A3s and M2s). (So like, A3S has multiple times where a BLM cant stand still and cast. SMN doesnt exactly have to sit there landing a bunch of casts in a row to keep up a buff otherwise they are done. Multiple targets doesnt help a BLM anymore.

Dark Knight cannot maintain Delirium and deal its optimal DPS. Dragon Kick is part of Monk's rotation, and Monk still deals best theoretical single target damage. It's easy to place a Monk in a DRG or NIN slot, and see no discernible difference in party DPS.
(So how else are you keeping up with buffed Souleater? The fights you yourself mentioned have multiple points where you cant be on one single target or you have to jump back and forth. GL3 death if you *** up super hard (Not so much a problem with DRG or NIN really).
Depending on the fight, PLD has more mitigation than DRK and more self heals, and can maintain itself in Sword Oath more readily and with less support than DRK can Gritless. It's still weaker mind you, even after the recent buffs, but it's not so much so that it will break your raid.
(PLD might have more mitigation but its been proven that not much mitigation needs to be done to survive a tankbuster [the highest DT- and then a supplementary CD before being overgeared]DRK just does more damage and can keep that up pretty easily only needing to turn on Grit during tankbusters like both of the other tanks. PLD also has horrible AoE, DRK does not, though at great MP costs to keep it up if the pile lasts longer than blood price.)
BRD has Foe's Requiem which affects all magical damage. This includes Ninjutsu(sans Shuriken), DRK skills and spells, Healer damage, and Caster damage. Does not impede the BRD.
(Sure, if your party is mainly a double mage party which is situational. with one caster you have 5 jobs (DRK mostly does physical damage anyway while OGCDs are down that apply as magic) being buffed by phys hypercharge instead of 3 and those 5 jobs are doing more DPS than your healers and your caster together unless its an AoE fight where your SCH and your SMN will be more effective and so will a BRD [super situational which is why i myself kept BRD and MCH geared together] and if that happens then your one song isnt helping anything really and you can get the same effect with Bishop but youll be taking a hit on AoE damage with MCH TP problems).
BLM has E4E. The argument about standing still applies to MCH, BRD, SMN, and healers as well. It is RNG and fight dependent on which DPS will perform best.
(BLM relies solely on buffs that have to be reapplied by longer casts and they have a longer recast E4E. You actually gain a slight DPS increase by taking off WM and GB at the right times [including moving, or you could just use Feint. Situational] SMN has shorter casts, can refresh DoTs easily to maintain damage on their main target, has more than one way to increase attack power that isnt reliant on refreshing your buff.)
There have been times in the past where certain jobs were unplayable in raid scenarios(namely DRG before the Mdef and positional change buff), but FFXIV in its current state is rather balanced. It's really splitting hairs to claim otherwise, with the one exception being raids in early raid cycle. (Yea, but now that problem was either fixed or exacerbated. For the melee Gondai just turned everyone into MNKs [which still cant maintain if the boss jumps or there are a lot of adds whereas DRG can do both now] and for casters and ranged we just turned everyone into BLM or SMN. The balancing isnt that great and they do fix some major issues but then they create others or blatantly ignore other ones that exist.)

Most of the time when a settup is "Situational" its for like one or two fights in the raid set. Coolies, so your BRD has to have MCH geared up, your DRG or NIN need to go MNK, your PLD or WAR has to gear up DRK or WAR, and your BLM or SMN has to have either or geared. Doesnt exactly mean for the largest part of any content really that a settup of MCH NIN DRG WHM SCH SMN DRK WAR would be unable to be efficient enough to push phases in most content that you can think of.
For A3s I am refering to the tornado phase, where SMNs DPS goes to ***, because it has no way to apply its DOTs in an effective manner to the slimes, same thing with Brawler balls in M2s. Ruin II and Bio 1 do not give it some sort of godsend advantage over Black Mage.

GL3 is not hard to maintain(especially after the duration increase), and even when you lose it, it's not like you die, nor does your DPS completely fall off the map. Really not that hard, and you can even have your group work with you so you can maintain it over the course of the entire fight. That;s always been the thing with Monk and always will be. GL falling off sometimes is how the other DPS are even able to keep up.

There's a difference in surviving a tank buster, and having a tank buster do next to nothing to you. That difference being whether or not your healer has to stop DPSing to fix you up. With appropriate use of regens and shields, PLD takes next to nothing. DRK requires far more support, particularly when the tank buster is physical. Added fact, PLD can precast Clemency and negate Tank Busters by itself.

Even with just one caster, the BRD still enhances the total DPS of 3 party members, and the partial DPS of one to two others. Foe's lasts longer than Hypercharge as well, and BRD deals more damage than MCH directly. MCH also does not have Second Wind, and must rely on healers coming out of DPS stance if it is the target of mechanics or screws up.

Don't get mixed up. You do not gain DPS by taking off casting stance as a ranged. You only come closer to maintaining optimal DPS for the fight when there are long bouts where you cannot stand still(which are few and far in between). SMN has Dreadwyrm Trance, that's it. You have to have used 3 Aetherflow abilties to use it as well, it is not an advantage over BLM.

He made the other melee more like Monks, particularly Ninja, but they can both lose their buff easily on a boss jump. Particularly Dragoon. You have to use Geirskogul for optimal DPS, but there are times where you have to know not to use Geirskogul so that you do not lose Blood of the Dragon. But then there are times where the jump lasts so long that you lose Blood of the Dragon, and the recast on it isn't up yet, so you lose DPS, just like a Monk!

And your final note, this applies to any setup of Tankx2 DPSx4 and healer x2. Except in the early raid cycle, as I already said.
 Valefor.Omnys
サーバ: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-08-14 21:59:49  
Afania said: »
Valefor.Omnys said: »
Afania said: »
FFXIV 1.0 was a LOT closer to FFXI than ARR though, considering 1.0 release first it's nothing wrong to expect something similar to 1.0.

In gameplay mechanics, how would you say the two were similar? Even in 1.x, I did most of my exping solo. I think I was 30 the first time I had the chance to group.

I haven't play many years so my memory is fading, but there are a couple of things that I remember hopefully it isn't incorrect:

1) Battle system, not the very first version of button mash battle system, but new one. You accumulate TP and auto attack, and pick which skill to use, each skill has individual cool down just like XI. Jobs had FFXI SP with long 15 min recast etc.

Okay, but it's still about personal button mashing. It wasn't about cooperative group play at all.

Quote:
2) Adventuring: 1.0 feels a lot more like having a real adventure in dangerous areas, some things aggro and there are NMs. I still remember getting some of the HP with a friend, which involved lots of death just like XI in the old days. Didnt really get to that in ARR.

I was sneaking through mire one time and heard an imp's giggle, or whatever it is, and jumped irl. That's the first/only time I've been scared of a game (like scared of a movie). For me, XIV never replicated that (and neither has XI honestly). The journey wasn't hard, mounts were easily summonable, and Home Points were never too far away.

Quote:
Oh and 1.0 had overworld NMs too.

NMs I'll give you, but why the monster spawned/where it spawned doesn't really relate to the combat system.

Quote:
Regardless what Yoshida said, most of the community found 1.0(1.2 more likely)closer to XI and ARR more like a wow clone that is just.... very different from original FFXIV.

I don't think that's true. I think it would have drawn a lot more fans if that were the case. By 1.2, they were heading towards something very casual. ARR was them just painting WoW in FF tones with action combat.

That's the problem. If you want to play WoW, without playing Warcraft, there are 32 flavors. If you want to play FFXI, there's only 1 and, while good, it's little freezerburnt in its' old age.

To me, in combat-oriented MMOs combat is where the similarities matter. 1.x and especially 2.0 did not make grouping matter enough for most players to want to.

I always play tanks/healers so I took Paladin, Marauder and Scholar to cap in 14 in the dungeon finder but rarely did I ever see a shout or LS activity looking to group to exp.

If you ask me, XI nailed the balance of an MMO around WotG (as far as exping). That's when they introduced FoV/GoV, level-sync, and, of course, campaign.

- - -

Unrelated: I don't hate people that want a casual experience in an MMO, but I loathe the people that want a solo-oriented game in an MMO. I don't fire up offline RPGs and rail on and on about how it needs group-capability and content for groups.
By Enuyasha 2016-08-14 22:11:26  
No.

Also no.

And tbh, no.

Yes.
Also, yes.

And honesty has nothing to do with it, yes.

And you must have misinterpreted Raenil, because with XIV in its current state there are no problem jobs. Not within the confines of setup prerequisites.

maldini said: »
Creaucent Alazrin said: »
Warrior was trash when 2.0 first came out
Nah, it was just harder to play. So they made it easier.
Also, My experience and much of what I said includes the 1.0.

In my opnion, FFXIV 1.23 was where the game should have stayed.
It was at 1.23 that they got serious about retaining customers. They could have reduced the entry graphics like they did for 2.0, but other than that we were just missing content. Maybe a little less clunklyness but that would have been resolved by reducing the animations frames and graphics.

1.23 was so good I actually miss it, and have an itch to go and steel cyclone materia pt.

2.0 didn't retain ANY of the good elements from both FFXIV 1.0-1.23 or FFXI.
Having been a Warrior main since 2.0, I take issue with this statement, and all of your previously stated "elitist" strategy claims.

The only way you were effectively DPSing as a "Warrior" in 2.0, was if you were going Marauder and setting DPS sub abilities(Raging Strikes, Straight Shot, etc.). DPSing as WAR main tank was not a thing. You could maximize your performance sure, but you weren't doing what WARs of today are doing, nor WARs of late 2.0.

No.

Also no.

And tbh, no.

Why is it laughable? With a DPSx4/Healerx2/Tankx2 setup you can bring in any jobs you want that fit that setup.

to be specific, the most optimal settup would be MCH NIN DRG WHM SCH SMN WAR DRK to get every bit of DPS and utility out of a limited 8 person settup with no duplicates. PLD and AST dont do enough DPS, despite their obvious advantages, MNK doesnt have a vulnerability up or crit rate up buff and DK debuff doesnt work with DRKs (Which i think is ultimately stupid). BRD doesnt have a vulnerability or crit rate up buff and the songs are the same potency as turrets before BV and BV is on a ridiculous recast timer. BLM right now cant stand still and cast for their highest DPS and they lack supervirus/E4E which is pretty vital in a multi-target forced double tank environment.

so in actuality, sure certain jobs have certain niche circumstances where you can switch out a job or two but ultimately the game depending on what patch it is does not support all jobs being represented equally in their respected roles.

An ideal composition only matters in early raid cycles, and usually SMN is not within the standards of all raid fight environments, namely ones involving phases with multiple spread out adds(see A3s and M2s). (So like, A3S has multiple times where a BLM cant stand still and cast. SMN doesnt exactly have to sit there landing a bunch of casts in a row to keep up a buff otherwise they are done. Multiple targets doesnt help a BLM anymore.

Dark Knight cannot maintain Delirium and deal its optimal DPS. Dragon Kick is part of Monk's rotation, and Monk still deals best theoretical single target damage. It's easy to place a Monk in a DRG or NIN slot, and see no discernible difference in party DPS.
(So how else are you keeping up with buffed Souleater? The fights you yourself mentioned have multiple points where you cant be on one single target or you have to jump back and forth. GL3 death if you *** up super hard (Not so much a problem with DRG or NIN really).
Depending on the fight, PLD has more mitigation than DRK and more self heals, and can maintain itself in Sword Oath more readily and with less support than DRK can Gritless. It's still weaker mind you, even after the recent buffs, but it's not so much so that it will break your raid.
(PLD might have more mitigation but its been proven that not much mitigation needs to be done to survive a tankbuster [the highest DT- and then a supplementary CD before being overgeared]DRK just does more damage and can keep that up pretty easily only needing to turn on Grit during tankbusters like both of the other tanks. PLD also has horrible AoE, DRK does not, though at great MP costs to keep it up if the pile lasts longer than blood price.)
BRD has Foe's Requiem which affects all magical damage. This includes Ninjutsu(sans Shuriken), DRK skills and spells, Healer damage, and Caster damage. Does not impede the BRD.
(Sure, if your party is mainly a double mage party which is situational. with one caster you have 5 jobs (DRK mostly does physical damage anyway while OGCDs are down that apply as magic) being buffed by phys hypercharge instead of 3 and those 5 jobs are doing more DPS than your healers and your caster together unless its an AoE fight where your SCH and your SMN will be more effective and so will a BRD [super situational which is why i myself kept BRD and MCH geared together] and if that happens then your one song isnt helping anything really and you can get the same effect with Bishop but youll be taking a hit on AoE damage with MCH TP problems).
BLM has E4E. The argument about standing still applies to MCH, BRD, SMN, and healers as well. It is RNG and fight dependent on which DPS will perform best.
(BLM relies solely on buffs that have to be reapplied by longer casts and they have a longer recast E4E. You actually gain a slight DPS increase by taking off WM and GB at the right times [including moving, or you could just use Feint. Situational] SMN has shorter casts, can refresh DoTs easily to maintain damage on their main target, has more than one way to increase attack power that isnt reliant on refreshing your buff.)
There have been times in the past where certain jobs were unplayable in raid scenarios(namely DRG before the Mdef and positional change buff), but FFXIV in its current state is rather balanced. It's really splitting hairs to claim otherwise, with the one exception being raids in early raid cycle. (Yea, but now that problem was either fixed or exacerbated. For the melee Gondai just turned everyone into MNKs [which still cant maintain if the boss jumps or there are a lot of adds whereas DRG can do both now] and for casters and ranged we just turned everyone into BLM or SMN. The balancing isnt that great and they do fix some major issues but then they create others or blatantly ignore other ones that exist.)

Most of the time when a settup is "Situational" its for like one or two fights in the raid set. Coolies, so your BRD has to have MCH geared up, your DRG or NIN need to go MNK, your PLD or WAR has to gear up DRK or WAR, and your BLM or SMN has to have either or geared. Doesnt exactly mean for the largest part of any content really that a settup of MCH NIN DRG WHM SCH SMN DRK WAR would be unable to be efficient enough to push phases in most content that you can think of.
For A3s I am refering to the tornado phase, where SMNs DPS goes to ***, because it has no way to apply its DOTs in an effective manner to the slimes, same thing with Brawler balls in M2s. Ruin II and Bio 1 do not give it some sort of godsend advantage over Black Mage. So in these very limited cicumstances it would be better to either have a BLM for the whole fight for just those mechanics or have a SMN that you can work around. Okay.

GL3 is not hard to maintain(especially after the duration increase), and even when you lose it, it's not like you die, nor does your DPS completely fall off the map. Really not that hard, and you can even have your group work with you so you can maintain it over the course of the entire fight. That;s always been the thing with Monk and always will be. GL falling off sometimes is how the other DPS are even able to keep up.Sure, but then if PB is down your MNK has to take time to ramp up to build GL3, minor DPS loss but we are talking optimal. DRG and NIN take less GCDs or abilities to maintain their buffs after they fall off.

There's a difference in surviving a tank buster, and having a tank buster do next to nothing to you. That difference being whether or not your healer has to stop DPSing to fix you up. With appropriate use of regens and shields, PLD takes next to nothing. DRK requires far more support, particularly when the tank buster is physical. Added fact, PLD can precast Clemency and negate Tank Busters by itself. So you have to come out of DPS stance after a tankbuster: Thats kind of the point and your tanks will be able to get out of tank stance faster after the hit and its not like you cant just pop into cleric to continue spamming DPS while regen and fairies keep up either tank until they fall off. Which, is the objective of either buff. And again, situational niche which DRK can get around with CDs and dark arts enhanced CDs specifically for that purpose. Casting Clemency loses you two GCDs that you could justifiably be doing more DPS anyway or keeping up STR down which once you lose that you lose more of why PLD would be better for a physical boss (Which in alexander theres more magical damage than not and the physical side is negligable with proper CD).

Even with just one caster, the BRD still enhances the total DPS of 3 party members, and the partial DPS of one to two others. Foe's lasts longer than Hypercharge as well, and BRD deals more damage than MCH directly. MCH also does not have Second Wind, and must rely on healers coming out of DPS stance if it is the target of mechanics or screws up.Hypercharge is up faster than BV is which would make Foe's better for that particular situational settup in which your MCH would be using Bishop anyway for AoE...or you just have a BRD. Again, situational niche. BRD does not outDPS a MCH anymore.

Don't get mixed up. You do not gain DPS by taking off casting stance as a ranged. You only come closer to maintaining optimal DPS for the fight when there are long bouts where you cannot stand still(which are few and far in between). SMN has Dreadwyrm Trance, that's it. You have to have used 3 Aetherflow abilties to use it as well, it is not an advantage over BLM. You gain a small increase that is otherwise negligible but when youre looking to progress and strictly need that negligable +/- it becomes mandatory. DS is an advantage over BLM, it also lets you spam ruin III until your DS timer gets close to being off. Yea, mechanics that make you move mess with that: but you cant pop off enochian IV's while running or keep up umbral without a proc so.

He made the other melee more like Monks, particularly Ninja, but they can both lose their buff easily on a boss jump. Particularly Dragoon. You have to use Geirskogul for optimal DPS, but there are times where you have to know not to use Geirskogul so that you do not lose Blood of the Dragon. But then there are times where the jump lasts so long that you lose Blood of the Dragon, and the recast on it isn't up yet, so you lose DPS, just like a Monk!
Yet NIN and MNK dont have to rely on an absurdly long CD to immediately get back into form and maintain. Oh and hey, situational. Id rather take something that can consistently have either shortly after or immediately after instead of something that relies on something that may only be used once or twice in a fight and hopefully you used it appropriately or its gone and your raid just missed the deeps check because of you.

And your final note, this applies to any setup of Tankx2 DPSx4 and healer x2. Except in the early raid cycle, as I already said. in the early raid cycle you are pentamelded out the *** (Probably moreso for VIT/ACC than actual stats), using optimal food, and using Dpots. As i said. Also as i said: situations do occur, but you can overcome those easily or you can change them out for one or two fights that they matter on.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-15 08:20:08  
[+]
By Enuyasha 2016-08-15 08:49:12  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I had these arguments every day when i was playing even though i sat there and followed the discussion on minmaxing to get this information. Thats the one thing i miss about XI, the community came together and put all this information out there and if you disagreed on proven stuff you were an idiot and could be proven as one.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2016-08-15 09:08:33  
No.

Also no.

And tbh, no.

I'm guessing he's talking about bringing any class/job to endgame content and it working just as good as any other class/job. In short, I understood that he meant that classes are interchangeable, which they are, to a certain point.

No.

Also no.

And tbh, no.

I'm sorry you seemingly know nothing about how the game is played.
It's ok child, you can keep your ego in check for now, you're still a literally who.
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-15 09:30:50  
Better than a grouchy old dude who has no idea what he's talking about.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2016-08-15 16:22:26  
That's precisely the thing, you have no idea about you being better. Don't let your ego talk about things you have no idea of.
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-15 17:40:19  
I never said I was better. Just that I know exactly what I'm talking about in regards to XIV's and XI's job balance.

XI is a horrifically unbalanced mess. There exists content in which a large majority of the jobs in the gamer are absolutely nonviable.

And it has been this way since the games creation, either through actual combat mechanics or player created meta.

XIV is exceptionally well balanced. Most imbalances are taken care of rather quickly. And they are constantly tweaked to remain balanced, because job exclusion is ***.

All DPS are interchangeable.
All tanks are interchangeable.
All healers are interchangeable.

Unless you're doing content below recommended iLvl (World First progression) there is literally no content in XIV that can't be completed with any standard 1/1/2 or 2/2/4 job combination.
By Enuyasha 2016-08-15 22:12:26  
I never said I was better. Just that I know exactly what I'm talking about in regards to XIV's and XI's job balance.

XI is a horrifically unbalanced mess. There exists content in which a large majority of the jobs in the gamer are absolutely nonviable.

And it has been this way since the games creation, either through actual combat mechanics or player created meta.

XIV is exceptionally well balanced. Most imbalances are taken care of rather quickly. And they are constantly tweaked to remain balanced, because job exclusion is ***.

All DPS are interchangeable (Unless there are key mechanics out of like the 15 total mechanics in the game that invalidate a job completely).
All tanks are interchangeable (Unless the fight is a high magic fight, which invalidates PLD since you cant block or parry magic and most of their cooldowns are physical dependent, same with DRK or WAR in the physical aspect versus magic [a huge mistake coming from a game series that youve always been able to block or parry magic]).
All healers are interchangeable (AST outside of already farmable content cant pull the numbers either WHM or SCH can, nerfed on released to invalidate advanced play as quickly as possible).

Unless you're doing content below recommended iLvl (World First progression) there is literally no content in XIV that can't be completed with any standard 1/1/6(Because once youre already overgeared as *** most content in the game is solo tank and solo healer) or 2/2/4 job combination.
The bad thing about XIV is it is easy to wrap your head around. Unfortunately, there are still bads somehow that dont understand the simplest concepts. The optimal setup has been figured out for most encounters and if you know how to deal with the set number of mechanics in the entire game its really only about the predestined gear check that can easily be overcome with crafted gear or, yknow: skill and proficiency.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-15 22:18:20  
1/1/2

This is for 4 man dungeons Enuyasha.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-15 22:28:31  
All DPS are interchangeable (Unless there are key mechanics out of like the 15 total mechanics in the game that invalidate a job completely).
All tanks are interchangeable (Unless the fight is a high magic fight, which invalidates PLD since you cant block or parry magic and most of their cooldowns are physical dependent, same with DRK or WAR in the physical aspect versus magic [a huge mistake coming from a game series that youve always been able to block or parry magic]).
All healers are interchangeable (AST outside of already farmable content cant pull the numbers either WHM or SCH can, nerfed on released to invalidate advanced play as quickly as possible).
Nope, there isn't a single fight in the game where a mechanic invalidates a single DPS job. Final Coil had a really close call when DRG had DoH/DoL tier M.Def, but that is long since past.

PLD's shield blocks are nice, but not necessary. Like parries. Proper cooldown rotation while maintaining good DPS is the making of a good tank, and PLD cooldowns are more than sufficient for going the distance. It was in a rough spot for Gordian Savage World First progression, but within a month, PLDs were clearing nearly as well as other tanks. The best PLD I've encountered in XIV cleared A3S on week 3.

AST is completely viable. It IS weaker, in exchange for amazing support abilities, but it still works fine outside of world first progression in the savage raids.
By Enuyasha 2016-08-15 22:31:58  
1/1/2

Have you seen the all one job settups :D

Tis possible with 4 jobs that are the same role to clear a 4 man dungeon. Game is super easy, yet there are still parties that cant farm or make it through a roulette dungeon in one shot.

Got tired of wiping because people think its fun to wipe for hours in content thats months old that there are multiple guides out there for whatever learning style you have.

EG: dah fuq is a twister, landslide, DPS check, or divebomb.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-15 22:39:45  
1/1/2

Tis possible with 4 jobs that are the same role to clear a 4 man dungeon. Game is super easy, yet there are still parties that cant farm or make it through a roulette dungeon in one shot.

Got tired of wiping because people think its fun to wipe for hours in content thats months old that there are multiple guides out there for whatever learning style you have.

I pointed it out because you changed the 1/1/2 to a 1/1/6, instead of changing 2/2/4 to 1/1/6. It made no sense to change the 2 to a 6 when it's talking about 4 man content.
By Enuyasha 2016-08-15 22:46:35  
1/1/2

I pointed it out because you changed the 1/1/2 to a 1/1/6, instead of changing 2/2/4 to 1/1/6. It made no sense to change the 2 to a 6 when it's talking about 4 man content.
Quote:
1/1/6(Because once youre already overgeared as *** most content in the game is solo tank and solo healer)

Still in context with the 8 man settup, mentioning content that is specifically made for 1 tank, 1 healer, 1 melee, and 1 ranged specifically is inconsequential as of course its meant to be completed by any randomly thrown together group that youll encounter in the DF.
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2016-08-15 23:08:02  
All DPS are interchangeable.
All tanks are interchangeable.
All healers are interchangeable.

Yeah, and that also means that every job in each category is very bland and devoid of any real uniqueness or flavor. Since SE seems incapable of implementing both job balance and identity, I'd rather take an unbalanced mess, but a one where I can play an actual, say, BLM, as opposed to just a ranged DD with cast times.
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-15 23:19:17  
Are we actually going to pretend XI's jobs are extremely well nuanced outside of a few very specific examples?
 Asura.Essylt
By Asura.Essylt 2016-08-15 23:20:41  
More nuanced than anything in XIV, tbh.

Not hating on XIV or anything like that, but as far as actual job variety goes it cannot hold a candle to XI.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-15 23:21:48  
If you mean XI has BLU, which actually does stand out from the rest of the games jobs, then sure.
 Asura.Essylt
By Asura.Essylt 2016-08-15 23:26:21  
Almost any 2 same-role jobs in XI have more mechanical differences between them than any 2 same-role jobs in XIV. That's just a design consequence of that interchangeability that you praised a few posts ago.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-15 23:33:46  
I'm not really seeing it outside of the pet jobs (PUP being the standout with attachments), but more power to you if you can, I suppose?
By Afania 2016-08-15 23:43:46  
I'm not really seeing it outside of the pet jobs (PUP being the standout with attachments), but more power to you if you can, I suppose?

Can you give an example to illustrate how none blu none pet jobs are mechanically the same?
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-16 00:23:15  
Every melee class.
Engage -> Buff -> Build TP -> WS -> repeat from Build TP until target is dead.

The buffs are 'different' until you realize most of the exceptionally good ones are obtainable via support jobs. And even then, a lot of them share similarities.

Ranged Physical really only encompasses RNG and COR, but COR's nuance from RNG is that it operates as a support class when it isn't shooting ***. As far as shooting ***goes, the variation isn't significant.

All support generally operate the same the same. The difference is either the type of buffs they provide and how effective said buffs are. Y'know, GEO blowing BRD out of the water, while COR buffs are unique enough to justify existing alongside GEO de/buffs.

Mages fall into either healing, debuffing/DoTing or nuking. RDM and SCH can delve into all three aspects, but they have an area they excel in and perform relatively poorly in the others compared to the more specialized jobs.

Pretending Jumps or SATA are a massive game changing mechanic that radically differentiate DRG or THF from the other melee jobs is an insane notion. Or that multiple tiers of any spell is a 'complex' gameplay mechanic.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-16 00:25:08  
Inb4 I get attacked for being a XIV fanboy.

I've been playing XI all day, and I still am as I type all of this.
By Draylo 2016-08-16 00:27:21  
Everything you typed in your previous post is leagues beyond the complexity of FFXIVs 1 2 3 spamming imo.
 Asura.Essylt
By Asura.Essylt 2016-08-16 00:33:38  
Ranged Physical
Mages

In XIV those are the same class of job. Just the fact that you are able to place a meaningful distinction between the 2 already puts XI quite a bit ahead in terms of job diversity.
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-16 00:51:53  
Draylo said: »
Everything you typed in your previous post is leagues beyond the complexity of FFXIVs 1 2 3 spamming imo.
Then you haven't actually played the game at high end gameplay or delved into how abilities synergize with each other.

Asura.Essylt said: »
Ranged Physical
Mages

In XIV those are the same class of job. Just the fact that you are able to place a meaningful distinction between the 2 already puts XI quite a bit ahead in terms of job diversity.
Oh, is this the part where we pretend guns/bows don't have massive delays similar to recast/cast times as black magic spells with movement interruption just because they don't have visual cast timers?
By Afania 2016-08-16 01:15:28  
Every melee class.
Engage -> Buff -> Build TP -> WS -> repeat from Build TP until target is dead.

Every melee class do engage, build tp and ws because that's how FFXI battle system works, fundamentally. How else do you expect FFXI DD class to deal dmg with current system? In that case I can say in other MMO you just select a skill after cool down thus every class is the same.

However if you view jobs past the battle system then it's definitely not quite the same.

Out of 22 jobs, I would say 17 of them are DPS jobs, or at least SE want them to be DPS when they design the job. Remaining 5 jobs are designed not to be dps job but still has dps ability. And That's how variety comes in in FFXI.

For example, you think jobs like RDM is mage job "excel at something but performs relatively poorly in the others", I think it's a DPS job that can change role mid battle, in other words, hybrid job. Why is it a dps job? SE gave it temper 2, strong WSs, self enhancing buffs, multiple melee legendary weapons. Thus it's a hybrid DPS job that can heal, debuff, support and so on.

Now compare with other DPS job like WAR which cant change role mid battle(but can change weapons), that's how they function differently, both as DPS. Even though both can engage, build tp and ws, they still play differently and needs to make different decisions when it comes to how to play them.

You claim RNG and COR is the same if both are shooting, but no cor ever just play the job to shoot. Support is part of the job and that's how it's mechanically different. One job only dps and another do both dps and support.

I don't see how supports operate the same either. Bubbles, rolls and songs operates way different. You can use different rolls and songs for everyone in ally, you can't do that with bubbles. Geo Bubbles needs to be constantly take care of mid battle but not song rolls unless dispelled. Bubbles and songs are static buffs but rolls has random element in it. I just don't see how all 3 types of buffs operate the same way as you claim.

I wouldn't say SATA is mechanically the same as Jump, personally. You can coordinate the pt and close big SCs with JA like SATA, or use this JA on targets that you cant hit. In other words the existence of SATA may change pt strategy, v.s jump which is more like a solo JA player can choose when to use it.

Im not here to claim you are a XIV fanboy, but I think you claim jobs in FFXI are mechanically the same because you pigeon holed those jobs into engage tp ws(which is how battle system works) and disregard any other aspect related to the job that's not engage tp ws. But engage tp ws is just one aspect of playing the job, there are many more.