So You Wanna Tank On PUP?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So you wanna tank on PUP?
So you wanna tank on PUP?
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 18 19 20
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-12-17 12:50:41  
Looking forward to your PUP guide!
 Quetzalcoatl.Ghostbane
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Ghostbane 2015-12-17 13:05:15  
Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
I actually have all the numbers for every attachment in the game, and Falkirk was cool enough to write the BBS code to make it into a nice, neat table. But I'm not posting it until I make an actual PUP guide, which will happen next week since I have the whole week off from work and my girlfriend/family are all out of town for nine days

*Derail* So you're saying you still won't be on the game then? >.< */Derail*

About time you got around to make a real guide, and thank you Falkirk for pushing him the rest of the way!
[+]
By darthmaull 2015-12-17 13:07:45  
Ok I have a question on holding hate against these new job master Blus. I can't. I've been tanking these Reisen NM and some outside. Last night I tanked Sarama. It's level 135 and although my auto held up, I couldn't keep hate off my friends that are job master Blus. I've been noticing this lately. My attachments are..

Strobe 1 and 2
Mana Jammer 1 and 2
Flashbulb
Auto Repair 2 and 4
Armor Plate 3 and 4
Galvanizer
And the last two spots I used were Accelerator 4 and Disruptor. Those 2 spots can be changed. I'm thinking maybe I should put on attachments for DD as well? Since a few of my friends have hit master in some of their DD jobs (Blu, Sam, Thf) I'm not able to hold hate from them. They end up tanking unless they hold back.

Also I have a question on Yorcia skirmish. I see you were able to keep 25 mobs on you and your auto stayed alive. I did a skirmish yesterday and although we won easy, I could only keep about 7 mobs on me before my auto went down. I used Valor head and frame for that. Could my results be different because I went in with a full party? I have really good tanking gear and I'm at 1560 jp.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-12-17 16:20:34  
I also considered stacking M.Eva on my Taeon stuff, but decided against. Mainly for the reason Tru said: in most cases, where it would actually be useful you need so much M.Eva that you're gonna be near floored anyway. Plus, it does seem like the most rare augment in the pool so it's probably gonna take you quite a while to get good M.Eva augs.

I ended up just sticking Pet:Acc+ for my snow slot instead. I figure some extra melee hits/TP for WS is at least something (though occasionally the puppet actually messes up a SC).

Really though, DT-4% from dusk is the only truly vital thing on Taeon tanking gear. Snow/Leaf provide a relatively minor bonus.

FWIW, for leaf I ended up sticking Repair on a few of my non-feet tanking Taeon pieces (I use AF feet in repair set for the extra debuff removal). Regen is fine too, but max of +3 is a pretty tiny addition to the already massive regen you're getting anyway from Auto-Repair Kits, and to me would practically never mean the difference between the puppet dying and not. If you get something like capped DA, it's also not crazy to just keep that. Really though, anything is workable from leaf and again it's the dusk slot that's key on tanking Taeon pieces.
 Cerberus.Jiko
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2015-12-17 18:00:03  
Duskslit on Taeon: Crit hit damage +3% or STR/DEX +7?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-17 18:24:02  
darthmaull said: »
Ok I have a question on holding hate against these new job master Blus. I can't. I've been tanking these Reisen NM and some outside. Last night I tanked Sarama. It's level 135 and although my auto held up, I couldn't keep hate off my friends that are job master Blus. I've been noticing this lately. My attachments are..

Strobe 1 and 2
Mana Jammer 1 and 2
Flashbulb
Auto Repair 2 and 4
Armor Plate 3 and 4
Galvanizer
And the last two spots I used were Accelerator 4 and Disruptor. Those 2 spots can be changed. I'm thinking maybe I should put on attachments for DD as well? Since a few of my friends have hit master in some of their DD jobs (Blu, Sam, Thf) I'm not able to hold hate from them. They end up tanking unless they hold back.

Also I have a question on Yorcia skirmish. I see you were able to keep 25 mobs on you and your auto stayed alive. I did a skirmish yesterday and although we won easy, I could only keep about 7 mobs on me before my auto went down. I used Valor head and frame for that. Could my results be different because I went in with a full party? I have really good tanking gear and I'm at 1560 jp.

Why are you using Valoredge head when tanking anything? What do you feel like it's giving you? Also, you should ALWAYS use Optic Fiber. It does so much for you. What maneuvers are you using while tanking 135 content? What is your equipment like?
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-12-17 19:27:02  
Cerberus.Jiko said: »
Dustslit on Taeon: Crit hit damage +3% or STR/DEX +7?

To me, whichever one you get first and call it a day. Both are pretty good. If you're using them for WS (including pulling double duty as TP&WS pieces), STR/DEX will probably win. If you have good enough crit rate and decent acc, Crit dmg probably wins for TP.
[+]
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2015-12-17 21:35:34  
Thanks Cap. I got 2 atm with Crit +3% and kept one with +6 Str/Dex.

Appreciate the help :)
 Asura.Womwom
サーバ: Asura
user: Eilan
By Asura.Womwom 2015-12-17 22:27:35  

Strobe 1 and 2
Mana Jammer 1 and 2
Flashbulb
Auto Repair 2 and 4
Armor Plate 3 and 4
Galvanizer

Why are you using Valoredge head when tanking anything? What do you feel like it's giving you? Also, you should ALWAYS use Optic Fiber. It does so much for you. What maneuvers are you using while tanking 135 content? What is your equipment like?

I pretty much use Tru's attachments exactly. I always have Optic Fiber. I just use Attuner and Target Marker to give some increased damage output against high content. I like to toss O/D when tanking Perf or Plouton and Fire/Light/Thunder to light up those two attachments and have Fritz spam String Shredder for almost consistent 3-4k+ damage while O/D is running. I enjoy making the PLDs work harder to maintain hate.
By darthmaull 2015-12-17 23:03:58  
For the skirmish I used full valor because I figured there was no magic damage so went full PDT. For the skirmish I used 3 light.

Ok tonight I was actually able to test different attachment setups. I used SS head and Harley body. Target was Dazzling Doloris. I've never had trouble with this NM before so I figured I'd try something different. Attachments I settled on were
Mana Booster
Strobe 1 and 2
Armor Plate 3 and 4
Auto Repair 1 and 4
Flashbulb
Damage gauge
Galvanizer
Mana Jammer
Mana Tank 4

I tried this setup to see if the casting of Cures would help hold hate. The auto performed pretty well. I didn't have my friends as Blus for this nm but it looks promising. Have you, Tru, been having hate issues since players have been hitting job master status?

Tanking equipment is
Ohrmazd Dmg taken -4
Anwig Pet: Haste 5, Dmg taken -10
Handler's earring nq and hq
Thurandaut ring
Overbearing ring
Taeon gloves Pet: Dmg taken -4, acc24 rng acc24, regen 3
Taeon Tabard Pet: Dmg taken -4, Regen 3
Isa Belt
Taeon Tights Pet: Dmg taken -4, acc25 rng acc25, regen 3
Taeon Boots Pet: Dmg taken -4, acc21 rng acc21, regen 3

Only piece I think I'm missing is the shepard's chain.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-12-20 16:44:40  
Tanking equipment is
Ohrmazd Dmg taken -4
Anwig Pet: Haste 5, Dmg taken -10
Handler's earring nq and hq
Thurandaut ring
Overbearing ring
Taeon gloves Pet: Dmg taken -4, acc24 rng acc24, regen 3
Taeon Tabard Pet: Dmg taken -4, Regen 3
Isa Belt
Taeon Tights Pet: Dmg taken -4, acc25 rng acc25, regen 3
Taeon Boots Pet: Dmg taken -4, acc21 rng acc21, regen 3

Only piece I think I'm missing is the shepard's chain.

I tank in almost identical gear. Same Ohrmazd/Taeon DT- augments, only difference is that I prefer Domesticator's/Rimeice for earrings (Enmity+10 DT-1% Haste+3% DA+5%), and with our gear we can cap PDT anyway without Handler's). Also lacking that dumb chain.

I tried same frame and very similar attachment loadout on Dolores, and agree that survivability was good. SS head HQ body is indeed great for any heavily magic damage focused fight.

I *have* found that since the Strobe/Flashbulb update, my VE body is actually usually better at holding hate than SS/HQ. Cures don't seem as great for enmity generation as they were pre-update, VE does initial flash/voke much faster, shield bash is something, higher HP & less CE loss, etc.

My usual top DDs are high end 2100 JP BSTs, and in normal fights without hate resets (and they aren't using 1hr) they don't pull much hate off my VE frame. They manage to get hate significantly more often on SS/HQ. Sometimes it's still worth it for the Shell V, but if I don't actually feel I need for Shell I'll just stick to VE body. For instance, even some heavily magic using mobs you should be perfectly fine with no Shell - I did like a dozen of the Sky T2 Grimoire NM last night, for example. No sweat surviving or keeping hate with VE body.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2015-12-21 10:04:20  
Is the difference between making an Ohrmazd for pet dt significaly better than just Oboron's -5%? I mean, I know Ohrmazd has the extra stats, but do they make a significant difference while tanking?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-21 10:13:29  
Is the difference between making an Ohrmazd for pet dt significaly better than just Oboron's -5%? I mean, I know Ohrmazd has the extra stats, but do they make a significant difference while tanking?

If you need your puppets damage, yes. If not, no. In theory the VIT helps, but not enough to make it better.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-12-21 14:28:21  

If you need your puppets damage, yes. If not, no. In theory the VIT helps, but not enough to make it better.

Yeah it's not that big of a deal for tanking purposes. I'll certainly take the extra acc and STR/DEX/VIT on mine but it's not hugely significant (except for OCD purposes of not wanting to wear a non-ilevel weapon).

It IS significant that if you ever want to punch something with the master while also using pet tanking weapon, you definitely want an ilevel weapon. Though, if that's really necessary you can always switch out weapons - either temporarily (e.g. take care of an add) and swap back to tank H2H, or just fulltime a more DD-oriented weapon. I generally just tank in Kenkonken anyway when I'm actually intending to punch stuff while the puppet tanks (for instance, Incursion runs I was doing yesterday), and for the truly difficult stuff to tank there's little reason for you to be meleeing anyway.

Oberon's is certainly an easy way to get a great weapon that requires no difficult fights, and apparently relatively little difficulty with the random number generator.

I'd still kinda lean toward suggesting Midnights D first (if they're easily in reach for you to obtain) to a PUP looking for a tank weapon. My reasons are for the non-random ease of augmenting, and overall benefit (pretty good for master and puppet and very solid as a hybrid piece unless you have something way better like KKK), and neat utility with the maneuver effect +2 and overload reduction).

But really, any of Oberon (DT- aug), Ohrmazd (DT- aug), Midnights D, or Reisenjima H2H are very solid.
[+]
 Leviathan.Stamos
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-12-22 08:28:28  

Saw -5% twice, but this one had +acc on it for pet so went with it. Fern stones
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-22 12:03:31  
Leviathan.Stamos said: »

Saw -5% twice, but this one had +acc on it for pet so went with it. Fern stones

I've only ever seen as high as 3% personally, but I only use Taupe on my Condemners. Makes me wonder if they can go even higher with Dark Matter. I suspect they cannot, but if they could it would end up being the new BiS for pet tanking.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-12-22 12:39:31  
Yeah, guessing it follows the same pattern as for master. Pellucid has higher cap for pet acc/racc, fern for special, and taupe for stats. The two dark matter I threw at it the other day were real junk. Unsure if Dark Matter has its own categories or just all the categories plus its own. Had something silly like agi +10, mnd +10, and pet double attack +3/critical hit rate +3, and the other one was just mnd +10 and acc +10.

And, aren't they already BiS for tanking? Considering you can get Vit/Dmg taken -, and acc? Suppose the acc is irrelevant mostly but nice to have
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-12-22 15:07:25  
And, aren't they already BiS for tanking? Considering you can get Vit/Dmg taken -, and acc? Suppose the acc is irrelevant mostly but nice to have

I think Ohrmazd still win, if my understanding of Reisenjima augment caps is correct.

- Same max DT- augment (5%)
- Same max Pet: Acc/Racc augment (+25)
- Ohrmazd get better attribute augments from dusk slot (VIT/STR/DEX all together, cap of +17) versus Reisenjima gear getting single attribute with cap of +10 or +15 (Taupe stones only)
- I don't *think* the possible 4th slot Acc or Atk on Resisenjima gear will give Pet: stats (would be master only), but I could be mistaken.

Also, it's obviously a LOT easier to get max stats on Alluvion gear since you can isolate the augment slot. You'd have a better chance of winning the Mog Bonanza than getting a theoretically "perfect" augments piece of Reisenjima gear.

That being said, all of this is a relatively minimal distinction as long as you get a good DT- augment on any weapon. Whether Condemners, Ohrmazd, or Oberon. Or Midnights for those who want an solid ilevel tanking H2H and don't want to suffer through random augments.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-12-22 17:37:18  
Suppose so. At least for me, I threw stacks of Leaforb on Ohrmazd upon stacks and never even saw DT - once. PDT - a million times, but never DT -
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-12-22 18:14:46  
Suppose so. At least for me, I threw stacks of Leaforb on Ohrmazd upon stacks and never even saw DT - once. PDT - a million times, but never DT -

I've seen DT-3% a few times (and had it for a while), and managed to get DT-4% a few weeks back by tossing some stacks of +1s that I got from mule red mog pells. It's definitely the most rare leaf augment though, as I can attest from many stacks spent. Like you, saw PDT- (up to 4~5%) many times, though that's not really worthwhile for PUP since it's easy enough to cap anyway.

May be easier to get DT-5% (the most important stat) on Condemners, but the pure random nature of all augments means it's way harder to pair it with other desired pet stats (VIT, DEX, Acc). The theoretically "best" tanking H2H is still probably a perfect Ohrmazd though. Not that making the ideal weapon really matters much as long as you're good on DT-.

I have enough other Reisenjima armor to augment that I'm not gonna bother blowing stones on H2H when I already have DT-4%, VIT/STR/DEX+15, Acc/Racc+21 Ohrmazd. Might still toss the occasiona leaforb at those to hope for hitting the jackpot of DT-5% though!
 Siren.Obysuca
サーバ: Siren
user: Obysuca
By Siren.Obysuca 2015-12-27 19:09:44  
So, curious, let's say you can't get enough acc on taeon feet for automatons, because rng, would just dt-% be better than naga feet path D for tanking? I got lucky on taeon hands and got -4% dt off 5 tries of nq stones, but just can't seem to get any acc no matter how many I throw at it lol it just keeps spamming me with evasion
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-12-28 01:48:44  
For all slots except head (where Anwig Salade wins), Taeon DT-4% is best-in-slot for tanking regardless of other augments. The Snow/Leaf augment slots are a nice bonus. Still cool if you can get something good (Acc on Snow slot, Regen/Repair or even go offense with DA/Crit Rate on Leaf slot), but nowhere near as important as DT-.

For pet offense or even hybrid master/pet sets, Haste is the biggest priority, then probably Acc, followed by DA, Crit, etc.

For me personally, I have 4/5 DT-4% Taeon (all but head) for tanking, all with Acc+ from Snow and varying Leaf augs. But I also have a few Pet: Haste+5% Taeon pieces to allow for 26% automaton gear haste as the need arises:
- 5% Taeon Chapeau
- 3% Rimeice Earring
- 5% Taeon Gloves
- 3% Thurandaut Ring
- 5% Taeon Tights
- 5% Ukko Sash or Hurch'lan Sash (use depending on whether I'm pet-only or hybrid)
- For feet, since I'm haste capped without that slot I use Naga Kyahan D there.

I do find some use in hybrid sets and pet DD sets these days. I've found it very effective for CP farming with mage friends to do lv.3 SCs with my puppet (Pummel > Armor Piercer for Darkness, mostly, forced with Inhibitor) and let them do huge MBs to kill Apex mobs quickly. I'll generally use a slightly more master-favored hybrid set normally that doesn't have capped automaton haste, but if I find myself with TP a lot sooner than the puppet I'll quickly macro in a fully pet-focused set to get Pamama up to 1000+ tp. Then I hit the opening WS and the puppet closes.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-28 08:32:31  
Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
For all slots except head (where Anwig Salade wins), Taeon DT-4% is best-in-slot for tanking regardless of other augments.

Rao +1 is best in slot except for head. It's one of the very few ways to increase Pet HP, and ARKs calculate their HP boost AFTER armor, which means you're actually getting more than 125hp. Auto Repair kits also recover a percentage of maximum HP, so it helps there too. Also also, CE loss is divided by maximum HP.

And more HP is never really a bad thing.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-12-28 13:57:03  
Rao +1 is best in slot except for head.

Ah. OK, good point. Still, Rao+1 is extremely unrealistic for the vast majority of players. Availability and price is going to be a severe limitation. On my server (Phoenix), there are currently zero Voodoo pieces needed to make the +1 gear in Bazaars or AH. There is also only one AH sale EVER on Phoenix for any Voodoo piece for the set - Kabuto for 35 million gil (which is the slot that Anwig beats anyway). They're very difficult to craft and generally not worth the risk to crafters due to small market for the far more likely result of NQ pieces, so don't count on them ever being reasonable to obtain - you're probably gonna have to be or know a crafter willing to take that significant risk, and have very deep pockets.

I think that considering the expense/difficulty, most people will prefer the far more attainable Taeon options that are at least sidegrade-ish to Rao+1. Same DT-, less HP, and additional potential benefits from Leaf slot (regen augment that would beat the additional ARK regen effect from more HP, repair, whatever), possibly higher Acc from Snow slot. The very slightly improved CE retention is probably the best part of more HP, so judge for yourself whether to spend practically a Mythic's worth of gil on the minor upgrade to Rao+1.

But yeah, if you actually have access to Voodoo pieces and a few hundred million gil to spare for some extra automaton HP... Rao+1 have a relatively small advantage.

For clarity for others reading, NQ Rao C path is generally worse than Taeon in the vast majority of situations since it has lower DT-. Theoretically if you were capped on PDT anyway with the lesser DT- (possible) and were fighting something that ONLY used physical attacks, Rao could be better despite the lower DT-. But realistically, it's magical attacks (or breath, non-elemental, etc.) that are more of a threat - and you aren't capping MDT. Very niche situation since you're rarely (maybe never?) gonna run into a dangerous physical only mob that you can't handle just as easily without the extra automaton HP from Rao.

And anyway, point remains from the original question, DT-4% from whatever piece you can get it on (Taeon, Rao+1) is certainly superior for tanking than any option without DT (like the example of Naga feet). Better offensive stats aren't hugely relevant for tanking these days.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-28 17:41:20  
I went down to Ceizak Battlegrounds and did some testing.

So in my enmity setup I use Optic Fiber and ARKs 1+4.

+100 hp is actually 145hp. For each piece. So essentially you get 580hp. It's all additive.

With no pieces set, regen rate is 114 per tic. With four pieces set it is 129 per tic. So it's another 15hp per tic. That's a single light maneuver. Because ARK1+4OF only give 3% of total hp, adding HP doesn't really give a huge boost to the regen. HOWEVER! If you are not in a super enmity generation mode, you can use ARK3+4OF.

In that mode, you get +680hp from the +400 you added. The regen is 23hp per tic higher than Taeon.

So using those two(very limited info-wise) setups, let's do some math.

For the sake of simplicity, let's say your automaton is getting hit for 1000 magic damage every ten seconds. Obviously the actual situations are going to be radically different, but let's just go with this for the moment.

In Taeon gear(Full DT build, 71% with Shell V) you will take 290 damage. You can get 12 regen from augments.

In Rao gear(Full DT build, 67%) you will take 330 damage. The natural regen boost is either +15 or +23 depending on build.

Presuming you take 6000 damage a minute...

In Taeon you will take 1740 damage and regen +240 from maxed out Taeon. Loss of 139CE per hit.

In Rao you will take 1980 damage and regen either +300 or +460. Loss of either 137CE or 128CE per hit.

By subtracting the amount regen'd from the amount of damage taken we end up with this.

Taeon(4dt- +3regen) 1500 damage taken

Rao(Enmity setup) 1680 damage taken

Rao(Regen setup) 1520 damage taken

So what if we make it 500 damage every ten seconds?

In Taeon you will take 870 damage and regen +240 from maxed out Taeon. Loss of 69CE per hit.

In Rao you will take 990 damage and regen either +300 or +460. Loss of either 68CE or 64CE per hit.

Taeon(4dt- +3regen) 630 damage taken

Rao(Enmity setup) 690 damage taken

Rao(Regen setup) 530 damage taken

The less damage you are taking, the better Rao is. The more damage you are taking, the better Taeon is. Taeon will always mitigate more, Rao will give better regen(The +regen is far more noticeable if you are using more than one light maneuver) and better CE loss from damage.

But honestly, the gap is so damn small that it doesn't matter which you chose. On my server, Rao would cost 3.5mil-4mil plus 2mil in Eschalixers if you bought them all. So 6mil on the high end, and then you know for sure that you are done.

On Taeon, the pieces are free. Due to being totally unable to predict what you will get from your stones, I'm going to go SUPER conservative and say that one stack of +1 stones will give you the best augment. A stack of Duskorbs +1 will cost 1.5mil on my server. 6mil for your DT augment on Taeon. Leaforbs cost 1mil per stack on my server. So another 4mil there. Since Rao has accuracy, let's throw two stacks of snow in to get some accuracy on each piece. That will cost another 3mil. So in my fairly conservative estimate, it costs 12mil to make capped Taeon. 6mil more.

So there is a lot to it. Rao SHOULD be cheaper, and nearly as good as capped Taeon. Capped Taeon will be better against stronger targets. Rao is certainly harder to get, but you know for a fact that once you have it, you're good. No need to rely on RNG to get the augments you need. There are pros and cons to both sets, and the difference is so small that people should look at both and see which is better for their situation.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-12-29 14:26:12  
Eh... I'm not all that convinced that damage over time is the best metric for most fights. The real threat for automaton tanks tends to be in huge spike damage, particularly non-physical damage (if not 1-shot, repeated large attacks in close succession) - or certain debuffs but that's not highly relevant to this comparison.

Though I suppose while more DT- is better to actually reduce the impact of those big hits, extra HP serves basically the same purpose.

So when it all comes down to it, Taeon and Rao are more or less sidegrades. Do with that info what you will. Taeon could be more costly to get good augments (though the really important one is max DT- from Dusk, which I personally found relatively easy to get with even +1 stones), but is far easier to get. Maybe important for someone building up their PUP to do stuff like tank the mobs that would drop the abjurations for Rao gear in the first place. Rao has guaranteed augments, but is a lot harder to get - particularly body with the abj dropping from T3 Escha-sky NM.

If you have one or the other you're surely fine though.

And if you're loaded with gil and have Voodoo gear available to you, Rao+1 does seem to be best. Weigh the substantial costs (i.e. most of a mythic's worth) against the relatively minor benefit from the +1 though.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-29 19:21:28  
Tbh, I feel the better idea is to get the Rao hands and feet, and Taeon on the body and the legs. Rao hands and feet are easy to get, even solo. Bia can be a pain in the ***, but if you adjust your trusts properly it's doable. You save a little bit of gil, get a little bit of an HP boost and lose 2dt. Against really strong enemies, the DT is more important, but on the vast majority 2dt isn't going to much of a difference.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-12-30 14:10:07  
Tbh, I feel the better idea is to get the Rao hands and feet, and Taeon on the body and the legs. Rao hands and feet are easy to get, even solo. Bia can be a pain in the ***, but if you adjust your trusts properly it's doable. You save a little bit of gil, get a little bit of an HP boost and lose 2dt. Against really strong enemies, the DT is more important, but on the vast majority 2dt isn't going to much of a difference.

You know what, I think that's a very good suggestion :) Even having DT-4% Taeon, I think I'll change my own Rao hands/feet that I'm not using for anything else and do a mixed Taeon/Rao set.

Rao body in particular isn't going to be terribly easy to get, coming from a T3 mob (for me personally, it's the only piece in the set I currently lack). So probably a lot easier for most people to just do a Taeon body for that slot.

Like you said, Rao hands/feet are a lot easier to get. They also aren't that amazing for other uses anyhow (e.g. although Rao are solid for WS, there are other pieces that beat em in those slots like Ryuo or potentially Herculean hands). So yeah, nice call to get some pet DT- and extra HP at a relatively low cost/difficulty.

I have one Rao Haidate and I still use those for Smite/Pummel - not sure if even Herc with great WS-focused augments can beat them, TBH. So I'd have to farm another Haidate anyway, which I'm not terribly excited to do. So I'll also stick with Taeon there, and I'd imagine that similar to body, Taeon is a lot easier for most people to get than farming a kind of annoying T2 Escha NM (Amymome) with a group.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-01-04 17:21:35  
Question: how are others dealing with a tanking automaton getting TP and screwing up skillchains?

Given the current popularity of SC+MB setups and few melees, and the fact that PUP fits in nearly perfectly to that kind of setup to tank with practically no support, it's a situation that comes up fairly often for me at least.

If I see someone (say, a SCH doing a SC from the backlines) calling for a SC and the puppet has near 1000tp, I'll try to use Tactical Switch if it's up to wipe the puppet TP (and it's easy enough to zero out your own TP by just unequipping weapon for a sec). But the timer isn't really conducive to that always working in a setup where your backline is going for a lot of MBs.

I've also tried equipping an Inhibitor to discourage the puppet from tossing out WS at 1000tp and just hold TP (which is sometimes nice with a single melee, like a BLU or something, to get MORE SCs), but he seems to LIKE trying to close the SCH SCs and messing them up. And the extra store TP isn't ideal in this situation anyway. I've also seen the puppet (VE body SS head, usually) use Cannibal Blade at will even with an Inhibitor up.

I generally don't use acc attachments when tanking, and I almost want to redo Snow augments on the Taeon gear I use (currently body/legs, plus Rao hands/feet - but I have DT-4% Taeon hands/feet available too) to remove Acc and intentionally nerf puppet accuracy a little more. But the puppet's still going to get some TP.

Any suggestions I may be missing, or is it just gonna be an issue that comes with the territory of pet tanking?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-01-04 17:56:30  
Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Question: how are others dealing with a tanking automaton getting TP and screwing up skillchains?

Given the current popularity of SC+MB setups and few melees, and the fact that PUP fits in nearly perfectly to that kind of setup to tank with practically no support, it's a situation that comes up fairly often for me at least.

If I see someone (say, a SCH doing a SC from the backlines) calling for a SC and the puppet has near 1000tp, I'll try to use Tactical Switch if it's up to wipe the puppet TP (and it's easy enough to zero out your own TP by just unequipping weapon for a sec). But the timer isn't really conducive to that always working in a setup where your backline is going for a lot of MBs.

I've also tried equipping an Inhibitor to discourage the puppet from tossing out WS at 1000tp and just hold TP (which is sometimes nice with a single melee, like a BLU or something, to get MORE SCs), but he seems to LIKE trying to close the SCH SCs and messing them up. And the extra store TP isn't ideal in this situation anyway. I've also seen the puppet (VE body SS head, usually) use Cannibal Blade at will even with an Inhibitor up.

I generally don't use acc attachments when tanking, and I almost want to redo Snow augments on the Taeon gear I use (currently body/legs, plus Rao hands/feet - but I have DT-4% Taeon hands/feet available too) to remove Acc and intentionally nerf puppet accuracy a little more. But the puppet's still going to get some TP.

Any suggestions I may be missing, or is it just gonna be an issue that comes with the territory of pet tanking?

Interesting you bring this up. I was literally just talking to someone via PM about this a few hours ago.

Inhibitor is actually working against you in this situation. If the master doesn't have 900+ tp, he's just going to WS normally anyway. Unless he can close a skillchain. Inhibitor makes the PUP skillchain with ANYTHING he can. If you need a particular chain, it can be helpful. Usually it isn't though.

When Inhibitor is equiped, the Automaton pickes a WS based on whatever skillchain element is currently on it's target. After that first check, it will use maneuvers to decided if there is more than one option, or if no element is present on the target. That makes it a bit easier to figure out what WS your puppet will most likely do.

The other side to that is Inhibitor is giving you Store TP. So when that 20% hit rate kicks in, if you have a double or triple fire going, you're getting significantly more TP than if you hadn't equipped Inhibitor. I'm not at home so I don't have my notes, but it's quite a bit of stp.

Anyway. Tactical Swap is what I use. If there isn't anyway to wipe his TP, I just let my party know my puppet is going to WS. Depending on what he uses, you can get keep rolling with only a minor delay. It's pretty rare that it happens.

Minorly related, last night we had the puppet doing Magic Mortar after Fragmentation chains on Kirin for double the bursting fun. Neat way to get some extra damage.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 18 19 20