So You Wanna Tank On PUP?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So you wanna tank on PUP?
So you wanna tank on PUP?
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 18 19 20
By Cadaveris 2015-12-07 17:29:29  
I came back to the game a bit ago, decided to give PUP a try, and absolutely fell in love with it. I got it to 99 and got some crappy augmented taeon gear, a divinator, and the Oboro weapon. What should I be looking to get into for my next pieces of gear?
I've had my puppet tank the enemies in Escha-Ru'an and the basement of doh gates (not apex) with relative ease.I'm slowly but surely building up some job points, 1200 seems so far away!
I play mostly solo, and figured this would be the job for it, please correct me if I'm wrong and point me in the right direction. I would like to solo (maybe low-man if I can find somebody to help) some of the NMs in the newer zones.
Thanks in advance for any responses, and if anybody is on Phoenix server and has an LS they could toss my way lemme know. (Characters name is 'Setosan' I re-rolled)....
 Shiva.Rickis
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2015-12-07 23:35:45  
Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
YouTube Video Placeholder

I figure there are some other PUPs out there that want to solo Reisenjima mobs for gear/stones, so I thought I would share how I do them quickly.

Essentially you just want to keep your Puppet pumping out Bone Crushers for that sexy *** light. Pretty easy stuff, if you have Revitalizers you can go nonstop without worry. If not, you can do the NMs using your puppet to tank. You don't need all that much accuracy, I think I am nearly capped at 1100 accuracy before food.
Tru, how can you make puppet's Bone Crusher with 14k dmg? what's the setup?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-08 07:11:48  
Cadaveris said: »
I came back to the game a bit ago, decided to give PUP a try, and absolutely fell in love with it. I got it to 99 and got some crappy augmented taeon gear, a divinator, and the Oboro weapon. What should I be looking to get into for my next pieces of gear?
I've had my puppet tank the enemies in Escha-Ru'an and the basement of doh gates (not apex) with relative ease.I'm slowly but surely building up some job points, 1200 seems so far away!
I play mostly solo, and figured this would be the job for it, please correct me if I'm wrong and point me in the right direction. I would like to solo (maybe low-man if I can find somebody to help) some of the NMs in the newer zones.
Thanks in advance for any responses, and if anybody is on Phoenix server and has an LS they could toss my way lemme know. (Characters name is 'Setosan' I re-rolled)....

Your first order of business should be getting more Taeon gear. It's still very good for PUP, because most other gear we get is pretty niche and generally crap. At a minimum make...

Master tp set: Acc/Triple attack/Dex or Str(str pulls double duty for your main WS)
Puppet tp set: Pet: Haste/Double Attack/Acc
Puppet tank set: Pet DT/doesn't matter

While doing this, unlock Victory Smite. Victory Smite is better than Stringing Pummel due to the massive STR mod when you reach my level.

And more importantly, you can make double light with it.

Keep farming up JP. I wouldn't suggest bothering with stuff in Escha until you have at least 100JP. I know it seems far away, but the first 100 is honestly the hardest part.

Shiva.Rickis said: »

Same setup for overdrive I posted in the OP. Pretty much just Attuner and Coilers+optic fiber to cap atk ratio and force double attack. Bone Crusher is the Puppet's best WS by a mile, it's significantly better than String Shredder, and we usually want to make light to chain a double light with V.smite anyhow.
 Shiva.Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2015-12-08 07:32:24  

Your first order of business should be getting more Taeon gear. It's still very good for PUP, because most other gear we get is pretty niche and generally crap. At a minimum make...

Master tp set: Acc/Triple attack/Dex or Str(str pulls double duty for your main WS)
Puppet tp set: Pet: Haste/Double Attack/Acc
Puppet tank set: Pet DT/doesn't matter

While doing this, unlock Victory Smite. Victory Smite is better than Stringing Pummel due to the massive STR mod when you reach my level.

And more importantly, you can make double light with it.

Keep farming up JP. I wouldn't suggest bothering with stuff in Escha until you have at least 100JP. I know it seems far away, but the first 100 is honestly the hardest part.

Same setup for overdrive I posted in the OP. Pretty much just Attuner and Coilers+optic fiber to cap atk ratio and force double attack. Bone Crusher is the Puppet's best WS by a mile, it's significantly better than String Shredder, and we usually want to make light to chain a double light with V.smite anyhow.
thanks Tru, what's the damage for bone crasher you can do when not in OD?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-08 08:00:11  

Depends on the setup. Outside of OD I am more focused on Master damage and only want Bone Crusher for Light, so usually 4-5k damage. I can push it higher, but there isn't much point since I can usually do better with double light Victory Smites faster and more efficiently than setting up Automaton for higher damage.
 Shiva.Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2015-12-08 08:07:50  

Depends on the setup. Outside of OD I am more focused on Master damage and only want Bone Crusher for Light, so usually 4-5k damage. I can push it higher, but there isn't much point since I can usually do better with double light Victory Smites faster and more efficiently than setting up Automaton for higher damage.

ic, thanks Tru
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-12-08 13:29:06  

Look for me on Phoenix, Capuchin - I'll keep an eye out for you too. Have a fairly relaxed LS with 3-4 good PUPs.

For our couple of event nights per week (purely optional) I'm not sure how often we have a free PUP slot (more likely we can always use more support/backline jobs), but it might happen occasionally. Though I'm generally the most likely PUP on our team XD. Otherwise, there are plenty of opportunities to do smaller group/pickup stuff with LS members. And I'm always down to talk PUP.

I agree with the Taeon recommendations, though I'd clarify that if you're limited on gil to play the random augment game it's really fine to just use whatever good Dusk aug you may get first, from STR+DEX (max 7), single STR or DEX (max 10), or crit dmg+. The really non-negotiable augment is TA+2% from Leaf slot - it's the biggest boost, and leafslits tend to be pretty cheap.

As far as DD Taeon, priorities will probably be Head > Hands/Feet > Body/Legs. Head remains at least near-top even considering all Escha/Reisen gear, Hands/Feet aren't really beaten by anything except Reisenjima armor with good augments. Body is fairly easy to beat (Rawhide), and if you can do Sinister Reign the Samnuha Tights are still best in slot legs.

Also, for pet gear there are some alternatives to Taeon if your budget or tolerance for random augments limits your ability to make MORE Taeon pieces. With the exception of Anwig, Taeon is still better than the below choices - but these are still pretty good options:

- Anwig Salade with Pet DT-10% is the best in slot headpiece for pet tanking.
- Regimen Mittens are good pet DD gear.
- Karagoz Pantaloni/+1 are pretty solid for pet DD gear, particularly if you can cap automaton gear haste without needing it from leg slot (say, head+body+hands+waist+feet).
- Durgai Leggings are not bad tanking feet; the Enmity+5 was EXCELLENT before the Nov 2015 pet enmity update. Now with Flashbulb and Strobe updates that's not nearly as vital, but they're still not a bad tanking piece and have pet acc to boot.
- Naga (path D) feet and Punchinellos are both solid pet DD feet with a lot of Acc.

Quote:

To be sure people understand, this example is not the norm - it's a cherry-picked situation to show a big number. Laevvid after it uses Leafstorm takes huge damage. Still impressive, but please don't be surprised if you aren't getting anywhere NEAR this number from WS on normal mobs.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Alihasan
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: edrakali
By Ragnarok.Alihasan 2015-12-13 19:27:41  
Leviathan.Krysten said: »
what is the actual cap anyway? if there is one

87.5%

PDT is very easy to hit, MDT is impossible to hit.

Valoredge can get 59%, Harlequin can hit 77%. Magic damage is what is going to kill you 90% of the time. The other 10% is Doom or Death of some other *** there is no way to remove.

As I have said before, you probably won't need that much DT until you decide to do something difficult, like Byakko or Suzaku. Unless you don't have 1200jp, in which case you need a good deal more DT.

I just started playing PUP 3 days ago. In a study to determine the most efficient DT setup, I noticed that VE frame has innate ~12% PDT (or DT?), compared to other frame. So I figured each frame has some special attributes, other than spell/skill sets/Max HP/MP. In the quoted post you mention that Harlequin frame can reach higher MDT build, would you mind explaining how this can only be achieved on Harlequin but not Valor Edge?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-13 19:40:32  
Ragnarok.Alihasan said: »
Leviathan.Krysten said: »
what is the actual cap anyway? if there is one

87.5%

PDT is very easy to hit, MDT is impossible to hit.

Valoredge can get 59%, Harlequin can hit 77%. Magic damage is what is going to kill you 90% of the time. The other 10% is Doom or Death of some other *** there is no way to remove.

As I have said before, you probably won't need that much DT until you decide to do something difficult, like Byakko or Suzaku. Unless you don't have 1200jp, in which case you need a good deal more DT.

I just started playing PUP 3 days ago. In a study to determine the most efficient DT setup, I noticed that VE frame has innate ~12% PDT (or DT?), compared to other frame. So I figured each frame has some special attributes, other than spell/skill sets/Max HP/MP. In the quoted post you mention that Harlequin frame can reach higher MDT build, would you mind explaining how this can only be achieved on Harlequin but not Valor Edge?

Shell V.
 Ragnarok.Alihasan
By Ragnarok.Alihasan 2015-12-13 19:49:45  
Thanks.
 Bahamut.Gorath
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Gorath
By Bahamut.Gorath 2015-12-15 05:17:42  
Trulusia you were a great inspiration for me playing PUP, after reading your guide/posts it really helped orginize things in my head. Thank you!
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-15 11:25:23  
Bahamut.Gorath said: »
Trulusia you were a great inspiration for me playing PUP, after reading your guide/posts it really helped orginize things in my head. Thank you!

"Preciate it.
 Leviathan.Stamos
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-12-15 22:46:55  
Got Codemners, only tossed like ten stones onto it. But, did see Pet DT -1%. So, not sure what the cap on them is. But, can make a really good pet DD if anything on them
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2015-12-15 23:27:43  
lol Stamos has Pup whats this?!?!?!?!?!
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-12-15 23:37:11  

Fern stones. Looks like stats go up to 20 on pet, saw STP +10, DA +3, acc/Racc +29, dmg +19 etc
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-12-15 23:41:37  
Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
lol Stamos has Pup whats this?!?!?!?!?!

I did get to tank Neak on PUP! But, then back to Whm or BLU after
 Bahamut.Gorath
By Bahamut.Gorath 2015-12-16 00:50:47  
Leviathan.Stamos said: »

Fern stones. Looks like stats go up to 20 on pet, saw STP +10, DA +3, acc/Racc +29, dmg +19 etc

Those looks very nice! But wouldnt full "melee" path be better? Usually if you need -dt on weapon that means you going full -dt set ant wont be in melee range anyway so it seems like a waste.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-12-16 02:23:30  
Gorath, I'm not sure I follow your point. The Pet DT-4% is the most important stat shown, but the Acc/DEX are a nice little bonus. And since it's Reisenjima augment system, you can't isolate each augment - it's purely random so you might get an irrelevant augment on an otherwise useful piece.

The Condemners Stamos showed are yet another good pet tanking option, along with stuff like:

Ohrmazd: max Pet DT-5% but can be hard to get (I have DT-4% but it took a lot of Duskorbs), the other 2 augment slots are a bonus (acc, pet STR/DEX/VIT, etc.)

Midnights D: Pet DT-3%, with a nice pet acc/atk+25 and some neat bonuses with maneuver effect+2 (i.e. additional pet attribute per maneuver) and overload -40. Nice and predictable, as the only of these options that doesn't rely on any random augments.

Oberon's Sainti: arguably easiest good pet DT- weapon to obtain (if you can't easily do Escha-Ru'Aun Grimoire NM), max Pet DT-5% but no other "bonus" augments. Also the only non-ilevel choice listed here, so useless in the event you wanted to punch something for whatever reason.
 Bahamut.Gorath
By Bahamut.Gorath 2015-12-16 03:05:40  
My point is: if you are for some reason engaged in melee while your puppet is tanking, then you wont need full Pet DT set and you better off with melee bonuses on your weapon. If your pet tanking something that requires a pet DT set, than it is most likeley too dangerous to be to close to NM.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-12-16 04:22:02  
But... nobody was claiming that posted pair of Condemners was some sort of great hybrid or master DD piece. Stamos was just showing augments, which are random. It's pretty obvious that the pet DT-4% on the particular set of augments shown in the picture makes that a reasonably good tanking weapon (regardless of the other random augs). One of several options these days, as noted in my last post. And, you know, this IS the PUP tanking thread so it's a safe assumption we're talking about tanking with the automaton.

Just seemed to me like you were kinda stating the obvious. I mean, yeah... if you're in a situation where you're punching stuff, you're gonna want master melee stats on your weapon and not a tank-focused weapon. You're not wrong, but I don't know what your comment is directed at since no one said you should be using the tanking weapon for your melee needs.

FWIW, don't forget that these augmented weapons aren't tagged Rare. So you could very well make one for master melee, and a different one for automaton tanking. Just requires patience on augments...
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-16 07:13:22  
I've thrown around 1000 stones into Condemners and have seen quite a bit. I imagine DT- 5% is the cap, but I have never seen it. Seen 4 a handful of times and lower amounts pretty frequently. They can get up to VIT+20 on them also, which has some meaning for tanking but not really. They are very good as an extreme accuracy piece for either master or puppet, or potentially both. That's what I am using mine for at the moment.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2015-12-16 09:16:45  
Assuming since Dark Matter breaks the cap, that you can get somewhere between 6-10 pet DT if you have nothing but gil to throw at it
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-16 11:45:56  
Leviathan.Stamos said: »
Assuming since Dark Matter breaks the cap, that you can get somewhere between 6-10 pet DT if you have nothing but gil to throw at it

From what I have seen from DM augments so far, there don't seem to break the cap on unique augments. The stats I see broken a good bit, but not uniques. However, they seem to have unique augments that you can only get from Dark Matter. I suppose it'll require some testing to find out. I'd have to get another pair of Condemner before I'm willing to pump any Dark Matter into them to test it out.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-12-16 12:53:46  
Is the augmented head for Pet DT -10% good or do you like Rao gear better for the HP+ and iLvl status?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-16 13:21:11  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Is the augmented head for Pet DT -10% good or do you like Rao gear better for the HP+ and iLvl status?

In any situation where your focus is tanking and the master is in no danger, Anwig 100%. If your pet is tanking something weaker but damage mitigation is still important, Rao.

Tbh, Rao is more of a stepping stone if for some reason you cannot change your AMK reward or if you don't have access to it(I know a few people who don't own the addon and won't buy it). It is the best in slow for Magic Mortar, however.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-12-16 14:04:24  
So 37% PDT/30% MDT is feasible with Rao and Anwig. Do you use a lot of Mana Jammer or is its effect weak? Also is there a resource or post that says how much effect each of the Armor Plates give per Earth Maneuver. I think I remember the magic number being 87.5% for pets?
 Ragnarok.Alihasan
By Ragnarok.Alihasan 2015-12-17 09:38:20  
Pet: Magic Evasion+ possible with Taeon? I just went thru couple stacks of Snoworb but didn't get any.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-17 09:57:17  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
So 37% PDT/30% MDT is feasible with Rao and Anwig. Do you use a lot of Mana Jammer or is its effect weak? Also is there a resource or post that says how much effect each of the Armor Plates give per Earth Maneuver. I think I remember the magic number being 87.5% for pets?

Yup, sounds right. 87.5% is indeed the DT cap for pets. Don't forget you get 9% from stout servant, and if you are using VE it has an innate 6% I believe. So in reality, you have 52%PDT and 45%MDT. You can essentially have Shell V on any frame fulltime, so you actually have 69.5% MDT.

I actually have all the numbers for every attachment in the game, and Falkirk was cool enough to write the BBS code to make it into a nice, neat table. But I'm not posting it until I make an actual PUP guide, which will happen next week since I have the whole week off from work and my girlfriend/family are all out of town for nine days. But the important thing is that Armor Plate 4 is 30%pdt with no maneuvers and Armor Plate III is 15% with no maneuvers. I'm not 100% on AP4, but as I recall it was very close to 30%.

Pet: Magic Evasion+ possible with Taeon? I just went thru couple stacks of Snoworb but didn't get any.

You can get up 25 magic evasion on Taeon. The problem is that same as stacking evasion. On the targets where you actually need it, it's impossible to get enough to matter.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Alihasan
By Ragnarok.Alihasan 2015-12-17 10:13:19  

You can get up 25 magic evasion on Taeon. The problem is that same as stacking evasion. On the targets where you actually need it, it's impossible to get enough to matter.

I was going for m.eva+25 x6 on Taeon and Alluvion weapon, but it seems too rare to happen easily. M.eva 150 is more than idris geo-attunement (no blaze/SP).
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-17 11:55:33  

I was going for m.eva+25 x6 on Taeon and Alluvion weapon, but it seems too rare to happen easily. M.eva 150 is more than idris geo-attunement (no blaze/SP).

Absolutely it is. But you're stacking that onto players with gear on giving them 50-100+ magic evasion per piece. We have no idea how much magic evasion a puppet has with Divinator, and it's quite difficult to figure out. What I can say is that my good friend Beaztmaster built a set of magic evasion gear for his pet, and he said it only has a notable effect when paired with some form of magic accuracy- debuffs. And that would be on 135 content, which is not at all a threat to a well geared and prepared Puppetmaster.

More importantly, you can't avoid doom(for the most part) and you're immune to charm, and those are literally the only two status effects that would matter to your puppet.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 18 19 20