So You Wanna Tank On PUP?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So you wanna tank on PUP?
So you wanna tank on PUP?
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 18 19 20
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-08-22 11:19:04  
Ruaumoko said: »
Valoredge/Valoredge has a very niche use for Overdrive against Teles and Albumen but apart from that the former is hard to beat for results.

I'm trying to figure out what you are talking about there, but I am drawing a blank. Overdrive doesn't do anything different depending on frame, so I assumed you were talking about Heady Artifice, which IS useful against Albumen and his hate resetting ***, but I don't remember Teles doing any hate resets at all. In fact, Teles is one of the easiest T4s and is almost an afk fight, so I am confused.
 Fenrir.Nezha
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Nezha 2016-09-02 21:43:42  
I haven't posted in a while, but I thought I throw something at the community so it can be talked about, tested, improved, etc, plus I haven't heard about this being discussed anywhere in the community. In any case, with the Hurclean Set, I have found Pet: Store TP+ augments, to be the most meaningful change in pet DPS that I have seen ever, I dare say it is better than Burratinaos back when they were 10TP (100TP nowadays) a tick. And if you break down the proportion of damage a pet deals via hits vs. WSs there is a large difference (I'd say anywhere between 30:70 or 20:80) so it makes since to me to minimize attack rounds and maximize WSs used over time.

Gear:

In any case, The current gear set up is Hurclean Head/Hands/Legs/Feet with Store TP+11 and accuracy/attack, Pitre+1 Body, Varar Ring+1 (you could double varar, but I think Thurandaut is more practical. Additionally you could use Penetrator's cap, but again I think Ambu Cape is more practical. From gear this puts me at about STP+63, everywhere else I focus on pet haste/DA+ (This being a solo backlining set). I do have a pet-master duo set, but I'll have to discuss that another time.

Attachments:

As far as attachments go I have both inhibitors on, turbo chargers, coilers if accuracy is not an issue (which it wasn't even on VD avatars), and optic fibers, rest of attachments depends on what your doing. Furthermore sometimes i like to put on speedloaders because it increases the damage of pet's near endless self skillchains.

Maneuvers:

From this on either of the melee pets using two fire maneuvers and last maneuver according to situation, I can achieve a 3-hit (after 1st WS) and 2-hit under Overdrive. Additionally, under AM3 using pet gets 1000TP sometimes in just a single attack round.

Even with all the fire maneuvers x3 and all STP gear on I can't reach 2 hit when not under overdrive effect, so thats why I sacrifice some STP gear for haste/DA cause its not lowing attack rounds.

Achievements:

As far as things I have been able to achieve with this set that I couldnt before it is:

• Soloing VD avatars (no trusts; caviat: fought on their weak day)

• Soloing Divine Might II (normal; time out above normal; no trusts)
    • Various other BC/Hard Mode battles on VD

• Duoing (using a mule for entrance) Plouton/Perfidien with SCH and soloing a few different delve zones (again need mules for entrance)

Additional Thoughts:

In short, this set has allowed my pet to be both a viable tank and DD at the same time. Or in cases when you aren't tanking an extremely powerful DD (Valoredge and Sharpshot work well together, if WS types are properly controlled; spam light/darkness SCs)

Drawbacks:

Set works best when soloing, or duoing with pets only and when masters TP is under 800 because otherwise pet with sit around instead of TPing right when he has it.

Goals:

---Optimize balance between STP and other DD states, as well as master stats when front-lining
---Try to improve set to a 2-hit when backlining
----Convince SE to add STP only attachments to circumvent the "nicheness" of this set up

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts and comments, but definitely if you haven't made an Pet: STP set yet, get on it!
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Flyingsquirrel 2016-09-02 23:28:31  
It's good to see you back! Now lemme know where you're at so we can duo together again
 Lakshmi.Anastasia
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Lotan
By Lakshmi.Anastasia 2016-09-07 01:41:35  
For those new to the job or returning from a break, this months Ambuscade is effectively, "Babies first tank test". I've got relatively poor gear (But most attachments), and it was pretty easy to beat Ambuscade on D. I do have 100 JP, so that helps.

I imagine tanking VD would be pretty doable, but I don't think I can generate the damage using only trusts to take it down.
[+]
 Asura.Mewwgoat
サーバ: Asura
user: mewgoat
By Asura.Mewwgoat 2016-09-07 03:17:18  
Lakshmi.Anastasia said: »
For those new to the job or returning from a break, this months Ambuscade is effectively, "Babies first tank test". I've got relatively poor gear (But most attachments), and it was pretty easy to beat Ambuscade on D. I do have 100 JP, so that helps.

I imagine tanking VD would be pretty doable, but I don't think I can generate the damage using only trusts to take it down.
you talking 1 or 2?
 Asura.Mewwgoat
By Asura.Mewwgoat 2016-09-07 03:24:09  
Fenrir.Nezha said: »
In short, this set has allowed my pet to be both a viable tank and DD at the same time. Or in cases when you aren't tanking an extremely powerful DD (Valoredge and Sharpshot work well together, if WS types are properly controlled; spam light/darkness SCs)
by this you mean using the VE head and SS body right?
 Asura.Mewwgoat
By Asura.Mewwgoat 2016-09-07 04:32:08  
also, idk if its just me or not, but it seems like the stp from inhibs only works on melee attacks?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-09-07 06:16:11  
Asura.Mewwgoat said: »
also, idk if its just me or not, but it seems like the stp from inhibs only works on melee attacks?

It works on ranged attacks, it's just that ranged attacks calculate with a lower base delay than melee for Sharpshot, so you get less TP from them.
[+]
By KenkonkenNezha 2016-09-07 13:52:20  
Using same gear combination mentioned before, I was able to solo VD Normal Ambuscade.

Trusts: AAGK, KoruMoru, Apururu, Quitilda, Ulmia
Automaton: Sharpshot [STP/DD attachments + strobe II/armor plates]
Gear: STP set with Kenkonken
Food: Kuromochi (Didn't need accuracy)

Took about 15min, used 2hr when he stood up, but I don't think its necessary.
By KenkonkenNezha 2016-09-07 13:58:08  
Can also solo Intense on Easy using EVA/Kite method; I have pet get initially main NMs hate, then put him on lancer mamool (this takes out the 3 baby dragons) > Sahagan > Mamool (WHM) > Mounted Mamool. Main boss can lose interest in pet so be ready for this.

Adds relatively weaker than boss, but still be careful.

Same trusts, same attachments, same pet but /nin

He has unavoidable mijin gakure at the end, so for this I put on HP+/DT- gear and hope for the best.
By KenkonkenNezha 2016-09-07 15:07:52  
YouTube Video Placeholder

Sorry in advance for poor video quality, I don't know the program that allows you to take full screen video. Also had to clip video because I can't record and play efficiently, but wanted to give you guys a quick demo of what Pet STP set can do for DPS.

Details:

PUP/RDM (Mainly for Dia II, but not necessary)
Valoredge Head/Frame
Gear Sets: Pet STP/ Pet WS/ Pet DT+Regen

Attatchments:
Tension Spring 4
Attuner
Mana Jammer 4
Optic fiber 1/2
Armor Plate 3/4
Coulee II/Turbo II
Inhibitor I/II
Auto Repair 4

Started by using Kusamochi, buffing, and putting up Master -MDT gear and some light and water maneuvers for pulling. If you situate him on the ledge which I had in clip, you can manage pet but be out of AOE range. Triple Fire maneuver to when Repair regen is up, Double Fire and a Light when its down. 2hred at ~60%, usually low enough to finish the job. Takes 12-15min on a good day.

If you have any other Qs just let me know, gonna try to post a video of DMII normal solo with no trusts in the coming days. And if anyone has a FRAPS membership they wanna PM me, I can make some better quality vids.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-09-07 15:22:33  
Well ***, I guess I need to start making some solo videos myself.
 Asura.Mewwgoat
By Asura.Mewwgoat 2016-09-08 09:01:47  
i keep getting a play issue, can you edit the link to it?
 Shiva.Rickis
サーバ: Shiva
user: Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2016-09-19 22:06:01  
Any advise on tanking Seiryu? I used SS head+Harequin body for Shell V, and all the Mana Jammer/AP that i can carry. But still got killed in like 2 minutes...
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-09-20 04:28:52  
Shiva.Rickis said: »
Any advise on tanking Seiryu? I used SS head+Harequin body for Shell V, and all the Mana Jammer/AP that i can carry. But still got killed in like 2 minutes...

Seiryu remains quite probably one of the worst NMs to tank. Absurdly fast melee attacks with enspell damage, constantly dispels, *** breath attacks every other minute. My advice is to simply not tank it until you have VERY good gear, and build for as much magic reduction as you can along with ultra-high regen. And bring dawn mulsums. It really helps to have two tanks for this fight, it's just a really rough fight to tank on PUP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night we were killing Escha-zi'tah NMs to get vorseals and clears for some people. Setup was COR COR BST BST PUP(DD[Me]) PUP(Tank[Zoe])

If you've ever been killing T3s in Zi-tah, you know what can happen. After killing the whale T3, Zoe said on Teamspeak, "Why am I taking damage?" The death bunny spawned. We had eight minutes left on the clock and none of us were /nin. I was pretty sure we were going to die, but we fought it anyway.

We beat the ***out of that bunny. Tsukushi was the majority of the damage, between 60-70%. I wasn't built for Overdrive since it just kinda popped, so Overdrive was only adding about 3k damage to Daze. Another interesting bit is that endeath never proced once. Both puppets had Overdrive going, which adds some insane status resist, but it seems strange that it was still unable to get off a single endeath.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-09-20 06:02:09  
A bit OT but I think there's some specific component that changes the Death Rate of the Rabbit.
Some time ago it spawned when me and a friend were duoing stuff (he had 2 mules, so 4 players total, apururu and august tank) and since we were done we decided to fight Wrathare just for lulz.
He hate reset a few times and hit many of us plenty of time, and not a single time anybody died.
I kept doing SCs, my friend kept doing MBs, eventually Wrathhare died and nobody died.
Now... how many probabilities are there, statistically?

We popped him again later because another friend need kill, and people started to die left and right, August was dieing so fast.
In the end we just resorted to kill him with some good placed Kaustra, Helix2 and Bio2/Poison2.

Yesterday we fought it again for some friends who needed kill, now fight was fast but hat was all over a run tank, my automaton and a few other people.
Nobody died, again.

I have no *** clue what the difference is, but there has to be something that you can do that greatly increases or greatly reduces the rate of his en-death.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-09-20 06:04:19  
For Seiryu I always found it annoying to tank on PUP honestly, altough my gear back then was worse and I didn't have Optic Fiber II yet.

RUN tank makes Seiryu so much easier. If you're not using pet jobs (meaning hate will be all over) use the RUN/SCH trick to keep hate on the tank.
PLD/RUN also works nice.

Do not forget barspells and if need be even Vex or Attunement.
Also if you have a chance to, Addle, Addle2 and Nocturne all reduce Seiryu's Macc, which should affect the magic damage he does. (not sure if that affects breath too, but barspells and runes/Vallation help with that!)
[+]
 Odin.Brocovich
サーバ: Odin
user: Brocovich
By Odin.Brocovich 2016-09-20 06:28:04  
Asura.Sechs said: »
...use the RUN/SCH trick...
Since tanking Seiryu is extremly annoying i'd like to hear more about this. AOE foil?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-09-20 07:03:19  
Odin.Brocovich said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
...use the RUN/SCH trick...
Since tanking Seiryu is extremly annoying i'd like to hear more about this. AOE foil?

He goes after people who cast elemental magic on them, iirc.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-09-20 07:22:03  
Nobody has ever fully understood the mechanics of 90% of the Escha stuff because A) it's not even needed to kill stuff, and B) less and less people everyday is dedicated to waste time for the benefit of others

Seiryu has some strange mechanics about enmity, when "something" happens he "fixates" on a certain player, and stays on that player until:
1) Player dies
2) that "something" happens again from another player
3) a certain amount of time has passed (not sure about this)

The "something" seems to be related to elemental magic that does direct damage, so no debuffs etc.
There's clearly MORE to this, but I don't really know how to delve further into this in a reliable way.

Basically if a tank is sub SCH he can darkarts and perform random T1 nukes to "stop" the fixation and get seiryu's hate back again.
This doesn't always work 100% but it usually makes tanking a bit more mangeable even with the classic "tank + SCHs doing SCs + mages doing MBs" setup.

When I once tanked it on RUN with a PUG who only had SMN and BST pet jobs, I was on my normal /BLU sj and hate wasn't lost even once. I think it's harder for pets to generate that "something" for some reason so the "fixation" happens less frequently if at all.
[+]
 Odin.Brocovich
サーバ: Odin
user: Brocovich
By Odin.Brocovich 2016-09-20 08:43:11  
I see, thank you.
I already noticed there is something strange about elemental magic but i thought it was just a hate reset if he takes elemental magic dmg.
I also noticed, that Seiryu randomly strips equipment, even if the player is far away. I was tanking Kirin while other PLD was holding adds far away and Seiryu's equipment-remove stuff still hit me.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-09-20 10:23:40  
It's not a hate reset, it's just a "temporarily ignores current enmity levels".
Other games like WoW call this effect "Fixate", where an enemy fixates on another target, once it's over he goes back following enmity as normal.

It's sorta the same thing that happens with Seiryu, he doesn't just reset his enmity towards whomever built it.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-09-23 16:38:20  
Now that Optic Fiber II is out together with other new attachments, anybody wants to update the PUP tanking guide with new attachment setups and maneuvers to keep up, with the small variations required for different targets?

Talking about "average setup" and "specific variations" etc.
 Valefor.Xerus
サーバ: Valefor
user: Xerus
By Valefor.Xerus 2016-09-24 11:41:04  
KenkonkenNezha said: »

Sorry in advance for poor video quality, I don't know the program that allows you to take full screen video. Also had to clip video because I can't record and play efficiently, but wanted to give you guys a quick demo of what Pet STP set can do for DPS.

OBS (Open Broadcast Software) is the program you want to use. I'm sure there are many others, but it works quite well, from my experience.
 Phoenix.Trinironnie
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Trinironnie 2016-09-25 09:59:15  
Trying to get back into pup, was looking through the main page of the guide to see if we have an updated post on what automation attachments to use for certain situations. Tanking / DD / Soloing / Manaburning etc etc. I know the first has a few for certain jobs but not all of them.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
サーバ: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2016-09-26 16:11:23  
Question: While Farming Nms for items (Key Item outside Escha) what Rng frame attachments would be Ideal? As said in other forum stuff said OF 1 and OF 2 are mostly 100% used what else? Would some one who knows help me out with the most viable setup for say Avatar or AA fights please as well as other fights like Tenzen and Promathia etc.
By KenkonkenNezha 2016-10-14 14:55:58  
As I mentioned before, for solo purposes whether farming or soloing AA/Avatars on VD -=> STP build is the way to go.

I usually go:

[Turbo Charger I]
[Coiler I]
Turbo Charger II
Coiler II
Optic Fiber I/II
Inhibitor I/II
Tension Spring IV
Attuner
Armor Plate III/IV

Bracketed Attachments depend on Situation:

Any difficult fight will require Auto Repair Kit IV + specific attachment as necessary for fight such as:

AAs (VD)-=> Strobe II (Master should be fighting too, but can BL)
Avatar(VD)-=> Mana Jammer IV (Master backlines(BL) so no strobe)
etc.

Gear: Pitre Tobe +1 & Hurclean Hd/Ft/Hn/Lg with Pet STP/Acc augs
Accessories: Capping Pet Haste and DA/STP/ACC where haste isn't poss.

==Current State of the Art===

Current STP cap with all avail gear = Pet STP+73
3 Hit WS Pet requires: +250 STP total (Gear+Attachments)
2 Hit WS pet requires: +333 STP total (Gear+Attachments)
*2hit curently not possible; aside under 2HR effect*

Hope that helps!

---Update===

Currently with max STP gear + 3 fire maneuvers + Ohtas you can reach "virtually" 2 hit on pet. Pet gets 319-330TP per Range/Swing + TP from dmg taken + 10TP regain makes up the difference.

About +14 more STP gear is needed to reach 2 hit set, but again its the most formidable DPS setup for solo/low man pup right now.

===PUP Challenge===

A test in achieving a strong balance between pet DPS and durability is soloing DMII on Normal. The fight requires strong DPS (Or you will run out of time) + survivability (or pet will die) of pet which I have only been able to clear via the aforementioned set. Video to come when I can get someone on Quetzalcoatl to record me.

Cheers!
By KenkonkenNezha 2016-10-14 15:08:19  
Just sharing some additional thoughts based my methodology for soloing, tanking, DDing.... Between Valoredge and Sharpshot the only difference between them is HP (with 2100 JP) because they have same base DT and can both equip Armor Plate III/IV, so in general anything Valoredge can tank, Sharpshot can tank while DPSing better unless:

• Mob has some resistance to Piercing/weaker to slashing or Bone Crusher

• Mob deals magic/spike damage to pet which will require the HP buffer

• Tanking for alliance where you need to maximize pet HP to reduce enmity lost when taking hits on very strong mobs.

Even in the second case Rao/Rao +1 HP bonus gear can help mitigate the HP problem and the third case all the extra damage pet deals helps partially make up for what is lost. But generally speaking whether I am "tanking" or not depends on whether or not I've replaced the "Bracketed Attachments" in the previous post for Strobe. So I generally stick with Valoredge Head/Sharpshot Frame 9/10 whether tanking or DDing.

*Sidenote*
Need to downgrade to Tens. Spring III to fit Strobe on Sharpshot.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-10-14 16:03:03  
KenkonkenNezha said: »
Video to come when I can get someone on Quetzalcoatl to record me.

Just hit me up sometime and give me a heads up when you want to do it.

Also worth mentioning between Sharpshot and Valoredge. If you are focused on DD and using the Valoredge head, you don't have enough water to equip Manajammer3+4 and have to settle for 1+4, which is pretty huge honestly. So in a fight where you are taking more magic damage, Sharpshot can actually mitigate more in a DD setup.

UNRELATED to that that, Analyzer is exceptionally good for this month's Ambuscade.
By KenkonkenNezha 2016-10-31 02:52:06  

Sorry the video quality isn't any better than before, but the camera is stable. As always I rely on the Pet STP build for DDing, and Turtle Set (Pet DT-/Regen) during AA GK's 2hr or when pet's HP is low. I cannot stress enough how much of a game changer Pet STP build is for solo PUP, but I digress.

Details:

PUP/NIN
Valoredge Head/Sharpshot Frame
Gear Sets: Pet STP/ Pet Ranged WS/ Pet DT+Regen

Attatchments:
Strobe
Tension Spring 3
Attuner
Optic fiber 1/2
Armor Plate 3/4
Coulee I & II/Turbo II
Inhibitor I/II
Auto Repair 4

I use Kusamochi to maximize DPS, because accuracy isn't an issue. I found the most time efficient way is to kill AA EV first using Overdrive, followed by MR > GK > HM > TT; If you can down AA EV and MR before 2hr wears you will be in good shape for time. I've gotten the clear time down to 21m and 16s, but trying to perfect efficiency to increase the difficulty. When 2hr hour is down I focus on keeping AM3 on pet, because it drastically increases the effectiveness of the STP build. If you have any other Qs just let me know. Cheers!

Sidenote: You can't see my HP due to camera angle but had less than 100 HP after AA TTs Firaga III in the beginning, so I healed myself using Role Rev > Repair > Utsu and just missed AA GK's Dragonfall when he arrived.
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 18 19 20