So You Wanna Tank On PUP?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So you wanna tank on PUP?
So you wanna tank on PUP?
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 18 19 20
By Inudesu 2016-05-27 04:01:42  
New attachments are coming in the June version update. Pretty excited to see what's coming
By Ruaumoko 2016-05-27 04:34:12  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Armor Plates were changed to give PDT instead of Defense quite some time ago.
Equalizer (which I see you guys don't see) was the only strange DT thing (calculated past teh 50% cap) before that change.
Mana Jammers too were changed to give straight MDT.

Not sure if Jammers and Plates are calculated on a separate value from the 50% cap.
Assuming they are that would mean we need only 28.5 DT in gear (25,5 if you consider Vorseals) to cap DT?

That sounds too easy, but if it's that then I'm happy because I won't need 4x Taeon pieces with perf augs to cap DT :D

Rua which body do you use for Teles?
Valoredge body is unable to cast spells even if you equip Soulsoother head. Going full Valoredge is cool and everything but then how do you keep hate without the heals and spells casting? Strobes are clearly not enough?
Rao set will beat Taeon every single time.
HP+500 DT-15% vs DT-25%

Odds are you're not taking a great deal of damage so you can afford to boost your max HP to better affect enmity loss.

You'd be surprised how well your Automaton will hold enmity with Flashbulb, Strobe and to a lesser extent Shield Bash. I've yet to lose hate on Reisenjima targets.
By Ruaumoko 2016-05-27 04:37:54  
Inudesu said: »
New attachments are coming in the June version update. Pretty excited to see what's coming
Souleater attachment for the Valoredge (Dark).
Magic Evasion attachment (Water).
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-05-27 10:10:05  
Ruaumoko said: »
Inudesu said: »
Souleater attachment for the Valoredge (Dark).
Magic Evasion attachment (Water).

Magic evasion is a possibility. Almost certainly water, so useless outside of OD, and during OD you don't really need it anyway.

Skillchain damage is very possible, as I suggested it a while back and the devs said they would consider making it.

Anything to make magic damage not suck *** would be nice.

Super inhibitor that forces the automaton not to use a WS would be awesome.

Hybrid attachments would be very interesting, ones that consume two different types of elemental capacity.
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-05-27 11:31:09  
Trulusia mind explaining to me the details of how the DT caps work on Automaton? Thanks ;)

@Ruamoko
So you tank Teles with those attachments and full Valoredge?
Our only PUP tank uses Harlequin body and Soulsoother head, with the "hp healing" trick explained by Trulusia on the first page of this thread.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-05-27 11:57:40  
I'm not entirely sure what you're even asking. Pets have never had a 50% cap on DT and have had an 87.5% cap since Abyssea (and before that, no cap at all).
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-05-27 12:59:32  
I thought that was something related to Atmas more than to pets themselves and, as far as I know, Automaton have no built-in 50% DT (like Luopans or Avatars), aside from the Stout Servant's 9%.

So my question is how do you reach 87.5%?
Armor Plate 3+4 with no maneuvers is ~35% PDT. With 1 maneuver it should be ~45%. Probably something like ~50% with Optic Fiber and 1 light maneuver.
Remove 9% from Stout Servant and that would leave you needing ~28.5 in gear, correct? (25.5 if you factor Vorseals in)
Am I missing something here?

(let's forget for a second that plates are PDT and not DT, there's Mana Jammers for MDT of course)
 Asura.Cicion
user: cicion
By Asura.Cicion 2016-05-27 13:09:08  
Makes me wonder if we can drop armour plate 3 in tank setups with all our dt in gear
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2016-05-27 13:12:46  
Atmas and the magian pet PDT items just made getting a lot of PDT very easy so that was just the first time anyone particularly cared about it. It was what necessitated putting in a cap.

The rest is mostly as you appear to already understand. However, automatons do have innate PDT values (separate from Stout Servant) that vary by frame. Valoredge and Sharpshot have an additional 12.6% PDT. Harlequin has an additional 6.4%. Stormwaker has no additional PDT.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2016-05-27 13:23:01  
VE body might have an innate -6% pdt or dt. I don't have the means to test this, but I have it in my notes that Tru mentioned something to this effect.
SS body gives Shellra-awesomeness, so as long as the mob in question doesn't dispel a lot and your pet can maintain MP (Refresh vorseals!), this is a strong option when dealing with magic damage.

According to my notes:
Armor Plate III should give -15% pdt without maneuvers.
Armor Plate IV should give -30% pdt without maneuvers.
I can't confirm whether this includes a bonus from OF (Optic Fiber). It probably includes this already, as we should all always use OF.

Stout Servant is, like you posted, -9% dt.

With the above things, you are at -54 ~ -60% pdt.
In the past, there was no cap on pets so Abyssea Atmas allowed pet jobs to fight NMs forever. That has since been reduced to -87.5%, so, even without a RMEA, your pet is capable of reaching the player cap.

Anwing salade: -10% dt
NQ Rao x 4: -12% dt
Isa belt: -3% dt
Rimeice earring: -1% dt
Gear total: -26% dt + the low estimation of -54% pdt from attachments above = -80% pdt

If you hate yourself/love the job enough, you can also farm a Shepherd's chain for an additional -2% dt.
If you hate yourself/love the job even more, you can get Rao +1 for another -4% dt.
With these, you'd be sitting at -86% pdt.
Add vorseals and you win the game.

Oh, I forgot about a weapon... That can be either -3% (Midnights) or -5% (Condemners) dt... So over-capping -pdt is very possible, but you will still benefit on the -bdt and -mdt side of things since those aren't going to be capped.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-05-27 13:35:33  
Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
VE body might have an innate -6% pdt or dt. I don't have the means to test this, but I have it in my notes that Tru mentioned something to this effect.
SS body gives Shellra-awesomeness, so as long as the mob in question doesn't dispel a lot and your pet can maintain MP (Refresh vorseals!), this is a strong option when dealing with magic damage.

According to my notes:
Armor Plate III should give -15% pdt without maneuvers.
Armor Plate IV should give -30% pdt without maneuvers.
I can't confirm whether this includes a bonus from OF (Optic Fiber). It probably includes this already, as we should all always use OF.

Stout Servant is, like you posted, -9% dt.

With the above things, you are at -54 ~ -60% pdt.
In the past, there was no cap on pets so Abyssea Atmas allowed pet jobs to fight NMs forever. That has since been reduced to -87.5%, so, even without a RMEA, your pet is capable of reaching the player cap.

Anwing salade: -10% dt
NQ Rao x 4: -12% dt
Isa belt: -3% dt
Rimeice earring: -1% dt
Gear total: -26% dt + the low estimation of -54% pdt from attachments above = -80% pdt

If you hate yourself/love the job enough, you can also farm a Shepherd's chain for an additional -2% dt.
If you hate yourself/love the job even more, you can get Rao +1 for another -4% dt.
With these, you'd be sitting at -86% pdt.
Add vorseals and you win the game.

Oh, I forgot about a weapon... That can be either -3% (Midnights) or -5% (Condemners) dt... So over-capping -pdt is very possible, but you will still benefit on the -bdt and -mdt side of things since those aren't going to be capped.

If people are super srs about PUP, the Thurandruat ring has 3%DT on it also.

Also, those values for armor plates are before Optic fiber, and they are affected by it. So 45% before OF, with no maneuvers becomes 49%, with one light it becomes 53%. PDT is hella easy to cap.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-05-27 14:01:03  
Those numbers are more in line with my calculations, I think that's correct.
There's also the 2 Unity Earrings for 3/4% (but PDT onry, no MDT)

Anyway, guess I have a lot of options ahead of me, thanks for the useful data everyone :)

@Kyte
Are you sure about those values? And is it just PDT and not DT?
We sure it's not something else like hidden defense/vit etc?
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2016-05-27 14:09:20  
The easiest method of testing doesn't test for MDT so at this time I'm not going to say for sure if it is DT or just PDT.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-05-27 18:53:42  
Siren.Kyte said: »
The easiest method of testing doesn't test for MDT so at this time I'm not going to say for sure if it is DT or just PDT.

I test mdt against the Chariot in Abyssea that does that one magic move based on the amount of damage you do to him. I think he is in Grauberg?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-06-04 22:39:01  
It's been a while since I posted any videos. Turns out Bztbro recorded some of our T4 fights the other day when we were farming Aeonics.

This one is Teles...
YouTube Video Placeholder

I seem to recall my puppet dying here. I admittedly wasn't really paying attention, with a co-tank I don't really pay as much attention as I should.

And this one is Onychophora...
YouTube Video Placeholder

I actually do AFK at some point in this fight. It's hella boring.

We use PUP for Schah, Albumen and Vinipata also, but as those are not pet kills Bzt didn't record them. Someone else in the LS might have though, if I can dig them up I'll post them.
[+]
 Cerberus.Jiko
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-06-05 01:55:43  
onoez, don't show what pups capable of doing. I might actually get invited to ***. QQ
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
By Shadowrokker24 2016-07-05 19:52:29  
hey guys, first off, tru, i love your guide and all of the comments you make in the pup forums! theyve helped me out alot so thank you for that!

question though, this could be stupid to ask, but as a pup/blu, do you think i would be able to pull a mass chain of mobs in escha-zitah and survive while running them all back to a beastmaster to cleave?

i know i would wanna get hate on all of the mobs and then use ventriloquy to switch the hate to my puppet so i dont end up in the dirt, but i mean does it seem like a good idea to be a pup and mass pull?

just want anyones inputs or ideas ^^ also if your gonna give me harsh criticism, thats ok as well. just messing around with ideas or trying to learn pup better as i go
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-07-05 20:07:22  
Shadowrokker24 said: »
hey guys, first off, tru, i love your guide and all of the comments you make in the pup forums! theyve helped me out alot so thank you for that!

question though, this could be stupid to ask, but as a pup/blu, do you think i would be able to pull a mass chain of mobs in escha-zitah and survive while running them all back to a beastmaster to cleave?

i know i would wanna get hate on all of the mobs and then use ventriloquy to switch the hate to my puppet so i dont end up in the dirt, but i mean does it seem like a good idea to be a pup and mass pull?

just want anyones inputs or ideas ^^ also if your gonna give me harsh criticism, thats ok as well. just messing around with ideas or trying to learn pup better as i go

Yup, it's totally doable. You want to use the Red Mage puppet for Phalanx and protect V. Along with that, throw on capped DT gear and you'll be just fine. Role Reversal will save your *** if you get low, but setting up your puppet to heal should keep you totally fine.
By Shadowrokker24 2016-07-05 22:04:23  
alright thanks! love all your videos and advice btw. sorry i dont mean to fanboy or anything, but your a PUP legend man xD plus it seems like everyone on ragnorok still says LOLpup so i need to prove a few people wrong >.>; hopefully one day ill be on your level.
By Verda 2016-07-17 20:34:08  
Can someone please post an up to date Pet DT set maximizing MDT?

Edit: found this http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/47383/so-you-wanna-tank-on-pup/10/#3035821 isn't rao better now tho?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-07-17 21:10:35  
Verda said: »
Can someone please post an up to date Pet DT set maximizing MDT?

Edit: found this http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/47383/so-you-wanna-tank-on-pup/10/#3035821 isn't rao better now tho?

Rao+1 would be better, but otherwise if damage reduction is your goal Taeon is will mitigate more than regular Rao. You could add magic evasion if you wanted to theoretically make a difference with Taeon also.
[+]
 Leviathan.Stamos
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-07-17 21:53:45  
Speaking of that, +100 mevasion would be kind of nice for PupTank.
[+]
By Verda 2016-07-17 22:00:37  
Well, effective health also, is the 500 hp gonna make more diff than the 5% DT or at least even them out significantly? Thank you.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-07-17 22:16:58  
Rao+1 > Taeon for the HP. But, wonder how it stacks vs +100 mevasion Taeon.

But taeon with 4% dt > NQ rao
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-07-18 00:35:20  
Verda said: »
Well, effective health also, is the 500 hp gonna make more diff than the 5% DT or at least even them out significantly? Thank you.

If you just wanted a straight up comparison, I've done it already in detail. I'll just quote myself.

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
I went down to Ceizak Battlegrounds and did some testing.

So in my enmity setup I use Optic Fiber and ARKs 1+4.

+100 hp is actually 145hp. For each piece. So essentially you get 580hp. It's all additive.

With no pieces set, regen rate is 114 per tic. With four pieces set it is 129 per tic. So it's another 15hp per tic. That's a single light maneuver. Because ARK1+4OF only give 3% of total hp, adding HP doesn't really give a huge boost to the regen. HOWEVER! If you are not in a super enmity generation mode, you can use ARK3+4OF.

In that mode, you get +680hp from the +400 you added. The regen is 23hp per tic higher than Taeon.

So using those two(very limited info-wise) setups, let's do some math.

For the sake of simplicity, let's say your automaton is getting hit for 1000 magic damage every ten seconds. Obviously the actual situations are going to be radically different, but let's just go with this for the moment.

In Taeon gear(Full DT build, 71% with Shell V) you will take 290 damage. You can get 12 regen from augments.

In Rao gear(Full DT build, 67%) you will take 330 damage. The natural regen boost is either +15 or +23 depending on build.

Presuming you take 6000 damage a minute...

In Taeon you will take 1740 damage and regen +240 from maxed out Taeon. Loss of 139CE per hit.

In Rao you will take 1980 damage and regen either +300 or +460. Loss of either 137CE or 128CE per hit.

By subtracting the amount regen'd from the amount of damage taken we end up with this.

Taeon(4dt- +3regen) 1500 damage taken

Rao(Enmity setup) 1680 damage taken

Rao(Regen setup) 1520 damage taken

So what if we make it 500 damage every ten seconds?

In Taeon you will take 870 damage and regen +240 from maxed out Taeon. Loss of 69CE per hit.

In Rao you will take 990 damage and regen either +300 or +460. Loss of either 68CE or 64CE per hit.

Taeon(4dt- +3regen) 630 damage taken

Rao(Enmity setup) 690 damage taken

Rao(Regen setup) 530 damage taken

The less damage you are taking, the better Rao is. The more damage you are taking, the better Taeon is. Taeon will always mitigate more, Rao will give better regen(The +regen is far more noticeable if you are using more than one light maneuver) and better CE loss from damage.

But honestly, the gap is so damn small that it doesn't matter which you chose. On my server, Rao would cost 3.5mil-4mil plus 2mil in Eschalixers if you bought them all. So 6mil on the high end, and then you know for sure that you are done.

On Taeon, the pieces are free. Due to being totally unable to predict what you will get from your stones, I'm going to go SUPER conservative and say that one stack of +1 stones will give you the best augment. A stack of Duskorbs +1 will cost 1.5mil on my server. 6mil for your DT augment on Taeon. Leaforbs cost 1mil per stack on my server. So another 4mil there. Since Rao has accuracy, let's throw two stacks of snow in to get some accuracy on each piece. That will cost another 3mil. So in my fairly conservative estimate, it costs 12mil to make capped Taeon. 6mil more.

So there is a lot to it. Rao SHOULD be cheaper, and nearly as good as capped Taeon. Capped Taeon will be better against stronger targets. Rao is certainly harder to get, but you know for a fact that once you have it, you're good. No need to rely on RNG to get the augments you need. There are pros and cons to both sets, and the difference is so small that people should look at both and see which is better for their situation.

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
Tbh, I feel the better idea is to get the Rao hands and feet, and Taeon on the body and the legs. Rao hands and feet are easy to get, even solo. Bia can be a pain in the ***, but if you adjust your trusts properly it's doable. You save a little bit of gil, get a little bit of an HP boost and lose 2dt. Against really strong enemies, the DT is more important, but on the vast majority 2dt isn't going to much of a difference.

Leviathan.Stamos said: »
But, wonder how it stacks vs +100 mevasion Taeon.

Automatons have very low magic evasion. Their stats were based on 119 gear at the time, meaning they have not aged well at all. SE knowns this and acknowledges that our animators give piss poor stats compared to current armor possibilities for players.

100 extra magic evasion will never be enough for anything where you want it, and for anything where it doesn't matter.... it doesn't really matter.
[+]
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-07-18 01:12:37  
Maybe the next set of Animators will be a decent improvement
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [35 days between previous and next post]
By Jadey 2016-08-21 23:10:17  
Has anything major changed with the new attachments regarding tanking Escha NMs? That is, of the mobs needed for an Aeonic, which ones can PUP still not tank with proper gear and attachments at this point?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-08-21 23:16:15  
Jadey said: »
Has anything major changed with the new attachments regarding tanking Escha NMs? That is, of the mobs needed for an Aeonic, which ones can PUP still not tank with proper gear and attachments at this point?

Are we talking solo tank? If that is the case, the ones with adds. If not, PUP can tank any of them. Eriynas is pretty unfun so I wouldn't recommend doing it, but in theory you can do it.
By Ruaumoko 2016-08-22 03:17:53  
Jadey said: »
The issue is that while a PUP is a capable tank for many of the T4's a good RUN will outclass it for two abilities alone: Rayke and Gambit. Those two are beyond overpowered for strategies revolving around magic bursts.

Harlequin/Soulsoother is the ultimate tanking setup because that combination can equip both Optic Fibers and the Auto-Repair Kit IV. Valoredge/Valoredge has a very niche use for Overdrive against Teles and Albumen but apart from that the former is hard to beat for results.

<frame>Harlequin Frame</frame>
<head>Soulsoother Head</head>
<slot01>Strobe</slot01>
<slot02>Strobe II</slot02>
<slot03>Armor Plate IV</slot03>
<slot04>Steam Jacket</slot04>
<slot05>Resister II</slot05>
<slot06>Mana Jammer IV</slot06>
<slot07>Disruptor</slot07>
<slot08>Regulator</slot08>
<slot09>Optic Fiber</slot09>
<slot10>Optic Fiber II</slot10>