So You Wanna Tank On PUP?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So you wanna tank on PUP?
So you wanna tank on PUP?
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 18 19 20
 Shiva.Rickis
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2016-03-07 23:16:48  
Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
Shiva.Rickis said: »
I tanked Golden Kist and Morbol in Reisenjima in SS/VE last night but all failed. My auto was killed in like 5 minutes (guess it was cursed and can't get regen by ARKs?) how did you guys do it?

The key to tanking this NM is nuking off his aura. When he goes into manafont, all mages need to cast the strong spell to whatever element he is nuking. I.e if he is casting Wind, hit him with Ice spells. This strips his aura and makes him easy-peasy.

we were in PUP SCH GEO and WHM, that means needs to switch whm to blm....
also my auto couldn't hold Sang Buaya after SCH MB it....what's wrong? -.-
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-03-07 23:29:10  
I tanked Golden Kist and Morbol in Reisenjima in SS/VE last night but all failed. My auto was killed in like 5 minutes (guess it was cursed and can't get regen by ARKs?) how did you guys do it?

The key to tanking this NM is nuking off his aura. When he goes into manafont, all mages need to cast the strong spell to whatever element he is nuking. I.e if he is casting Wind, hit him with Ice spells. This strips his aura and makes him easy-peasy.

we were in PUP SCH GEO and WHM, that means needs to switch whm to blm....

I'm not sure. Hard to tell without seeing the fight. As I recall, Sang has not special gimmicks really, just a tank and spank fight. He does stun and terror a lot. Do you think your automaton might not have had enough enmity?
 Shiva.Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2016-03-08 00:03:52  
Quote:
I'm not sure. Hard to tell without seeing the fight. As I recall, Sang has not special gimmicks really, just a tank and spank fight. He does stun and terror a lot. Do you think your automaton might not have had enough enmity?

i think i did what i can, strobeI+II, enmity +10 by earrings, flash....what else -.-
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-03-08 00:34:55  
Quote:

i think i did what i can, strobeI+II, enmity +10 by earrings, flash....what else -.-

Well, are you opening triple fire at the start? Rotating back in triple fire as you can to hit that enmity cap? Were there long periods between provoke and flash when you might have been losing a lot of VE?
 Shiva.Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2016-03-08 00:52:03  

Well, are you opening triple fire at the start? Rotating back in triple fire as you can to hit that enmity cap? Were there long periods between provoke and flash when you might have been losing a lot of VE?

ok...true that I didn't start with 3 fires and i mainly keep 2 fire +1 light during flight...maybe that's why.
 Asura.Xelnok
サーバ: Asura
user: Xelnok
By Asura.Xelnok 2016-03-19 23:42:58  
Quick question about Oberon Sainti augmentation, do I need to get a new weapon each time I augment, or can I keep augmenting the same weapon until I get -5dt?
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-03-20 13:38:15  

Late to the party on this one, but the issue with Sang sounds like it was due to Awful Eye - hate reset and petrification. Use Repair or Maintenance right away to remove petrified and just gotta wait on a Voke/Flash timer.

Asura.Xelnok said: »
Quick question about Oberon Sainti augmentation, do I need to get a new weapon each time I augment, or can I keep augmenting the same weapon until I get -5dt?

Been a long time for me (since the WotG days), but IIRC you have 5 chances then need to get a new base weapon. Someone please correct me if that's wrong or changed at some point.
 Cerberus.Jiko
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-03-22 21:43:24  
Cap is correct with the oboron sainti. 5 chances, if you don't take the 5th, you lose it and gotta get another. -DT is pretty easy to get on them anyway; I went 9 fights before I got the -5. Heard many others with about the same.
 Asura.Xelnok
user: Xelnok
By Asura.Xelnok 2016-03-22 22:02:19  
Yea, thanks for the replies, took me two different weapons but I managed to get -5 DT on the 8th attempt, saw -3 DT out of 6 of those attempts so it is a pretty common augment it seems.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-03-23 07:47:12  
Does anyone else recall something about VE decay not being static anymore? I might have seriously just had a dream about a Dev Post where they said that VE decay had something to do with maximum HP now, or something like that anyway... But I cannot for the life of me remember what the heck it was. Possibly because I dreamed it.
By Nellarie 2016-04-05 07:03:18  
Potentially a new Tanking cape from Ambuscade?! :D

Visucius's Mantle

DEF:16 "Overload" rate -10 Automaton: Lv.+1

With Abdhaljs Sap augments, can get Pet: Regen+10!

So lvl 120 puppet and even more regen? That sounds nice!
By dustinfoley 2016-04-05 10:24:46  
think you are better off

20 acc/atk/racc/ratk

Pet
20 acc/atk/racc/ratk
haste +10

Just because you can only get 1 cape and its hands down the best tp cape in the game for master/pet, it replaces karagoz and penetrating cape for master and pet acc/atk builds.

It lacks stp of penetrating but also has haste to allow for better builds.

Ohats + new mantle is 20% haste and about 200 acc in 2 slots for pet. Frees up a lot of gear slots for other stuff. Adoulin pet ring makes it so you only need other other source of haste to cap pet.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-04-05 10:28:17  
200 acc in two slots? You meant 100 or am I missing something?
By dustinfoley 2016-04-05 10:39:57  
70 acc from ohats,
20 acc from cape
~32 acc from pet level +1 (miss read the post and thought it was alot more than it is)

So 122 acc
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-04-05 10:44:34  
I indeed missed the ~80 from level+1.
Do we really get that much? Pretty nice ;)

If you're crying for inventory space this new one likely replaces Dispersal Mantle even for Maneuvers usage.
Dispersal Mantle might still have an use for situations where your pet isn't DDing (soulsoother?) and you want to bump the master's DD output a bit, given how the Martial Arts trait should produce a higher DD output for the master?

Unless you have KKK I guess, not sure how an excess of Martial Arts would work with capped JPs and KKK.
By dustinfoley 2016-04-05 10:46:36  
No it was a typo from reading on my phone pet level+1 is 30acc/atk/eva/def (give for take 1~3)
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-04-05 16:52:17  
This cape is bad ***. The biggest thing it does is make a hybrid set viable. You can cap automaton haste with just weapon, back, one ear and one ring now. This means that all those other slots are free to use to boost up the master. This is of particular interest to me because previously if you wanted to boost the master, you had to let the pet slip and vice versa. Multistep chains will be much easier, which is where PUP really shines on content where it has enough accuracy. So basically low teir stuff, but it's still neat.
By Nellarie 2016-04-05 17:02:01  
I am just logging in now to try out all of the fun!

An interesting thing for pups. I read on the Ambuscade thread that there was a moogle outside that will reset your JAs and they were talking about it like it resets SP abilities too! If that's true, then multiple puppetmasters might be an Ambuscade favorite for Overdrive zergs! Especially with the excellent cape addition, that would be so much fun!
By dustinfoley 2016-04-05 19:15:02  
I think they just mean the nomad moogle, doenst reset 1hr
By Ruaumoko 2016-04-21 03:13:43  
Hey everyone, looking for advice for tanking Teles on PUP.

I am at 600 job points at the moment but assuming that 1200 is the bare minimum to pull this off. What attachments am I looking to use? I understand that Flashbulb generates enmity now so is it worth using on top of the Ventril-trick?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-04-21 10:58:34  
Ruaumoko said: »
Hey everyone, looking for advice for tanking Teles on PUP.

I am at 600 job points at the moment but assuming that 1200 is the bare minimum to pull this off. What attachments am I looking to use? I understand that Flashbulb generates enmity now so is it worth using on top of the Ventril-trick?

I wouldn't try it without 1200jp, personally.

Teles is a pretty straight-forward fight. Typical enmity configuration should be fine so long as you are well geared, otherwise it might be a good idea to use SS/HQ instead(She dispels frequently iirc, so I don't consider it optimal)

Trying to use ventriloquy on her is just asking for a wipe. A well timed Clarion from her will kill you and everyone near you almost certainly.

For a pet burn, there is literally nothing of important to know. She needs to be proc'd otherwise her spells during manafont will do more damage than you can heal through. Overdrive should be saved for the last 10%. Double-triple light should get your though her Dia aura when it comes up.

The biggest threat is honestly not letting the master get killed. Running into range for repair is something that needs to be well timed. Clarion or Clarish or whatever it is she does that has an absurd range and does in insane damage WILL one shot you. I strongly suggest bringing Dawn Mulsums. Depending on procs, you might need a handful, you might need a stack full.

Also, this fight is SO. MUCH. EASIER. with pets. We tried a manaburn one time, but hate resets or whatever from magic cause annoying death for the master. Because we have less control over our hate options, you need to either be really on it for timing or just get lucky with resets. With pets, she goes down in 10-15 minutes with essentially no danger. Just throw earthen armor/scherzo on your BSTs, and let them go to town.
 Shiva.Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2016-05-17 10:19:49  
quick question....
today tried AAHM for D, lost hate very easily. party setup was nin war pup tank (me) and geo. used strobe I+II and the + enmity earrings. was keeping fire x 2 and light manuvaur x 1. anything i did wrong?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-05-17 13:44:05  
quick question....
today tried AAHM for D, lost hate very easily. party setup was nin war pup tank (me) and geo. used strobe I+II and the + enmity earrings. was keeping fire x 2 and light manuvaur x 1. anything i did wrong?

The content level is fairly low, which means that the fight isn't really ideal for tanking. Also, when tanking something low level, you really want to get as much enmity as you can. Presuming you have 1200jp, start the fight with a triple fire provoke. Then rotate in a light maneuver. There is essentially no risk of death on this fight, so you want to use Optic Fiber and Flashbulb, then whatever autorepair kits you can stack.

After flashbulb goes off, start immediately restacking fire. Watch your provoke timer. You want to get back to triple fire in time for your third provoke. Because of how much burden you are going to build like this, I strongly suggest using Heat Sink, because eventually you're going to have a lot of burden to deal with.

The other thing to note is that if your DDs are dealing really high damage, you just aren't going to keep hate. Enmity from damage receives a very small reduction at that content level, so if they are dealing enough damage, everyone is going to be at the hate cap pretty quick. I even had issues soloing it on PUP on D because eventually I was hitting the hate cap also. Ventriloquy when both are at the hate cap is tricky to time. I found that using High Jump from /drg worked just fine for keeping my hate down, but I don't really know if that's something worth doing in your setup.
 Cerberus.Avalon
サーバ: Cerberus
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2016-05-17 13:50:16  
I've also heard of PUP tanking Teles. Aside from Trulusia's information though (which is appreciated for PUPs), I'm curious about the BST strategy and set up - particularly if it is indeed easier than PUP and BLM + SCH strategy.
[+]
 Shiva.Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2016-05-17 22:14:50  
quick question....

The content level is fairly low, which means that the fight isn't really ideal for tanking. Also, when tanking something low level, you really want to get as much enmity as you can. Presuming you have 1200jp, start the fight with a triple fire provoke. Then rotate in a light maneuver. There is essentially no risk of death on this fight, so you want to use Optic Fiber and Flashbulb, then whatever autorepair kits you can stack.

After flashbulb goes off, start immediately restacking fire. Watch your provoke timer. You want to get back to triple fire in time for your third provoke. Because of how much burden you are going to build like this, I strongly suggest using Heat Sink, because eventually you're going to have a lot of burden to deal with.

The other thing to note is that if your DDs are dealing really high damage, you just aren't going to keep hate. Enmity from damage receives a very small reduction at that content level, so if they are dealing enough damage, everyone is going to be at the hate cap pretty quick. I even had issues soloing it on PUP on D because eventually I was hitting the hate cap also. Ventriloquy when both are at the hate cap is tricky to time. I found that using High Jump from /drg worked just fine for keeping my hate down, but I don't really know if that's something worth doing in your setup.

that's what i did, 3 fire as start, then rotate to 1 light, then try to keep 3 fire/2 fire 1 light all the time. however NM kept turning to other DD....
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-05-17 23:45:18  
It's still just a level 99 monster- it's kind of a lost cause.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-05-18 01:16:03  
Because of how much burden you are going to build like this, I strongly suggest using Heat Sink, because eventually you're going to have a lot of burden to deal with.

This is a good point, and I'd add that it's a good idea to use Midnights (or even Kenkonken) for the extra overload reduction if you don't tank in those already. In addition, of course, to the other overload- gear that's probably in your maneuver sets already (right?): Empy body, AF gloves, Visucius's mantle, Buffoon's Collar
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-05-27 01:36:36  
So after weeks and weeks and weeks of soloing CP I'm almost at the 1200 JP threshold, which is the minimum for tanking stuff like Teles.
Mind if I ask some noob questions? There are things that are still unclear to me.

1) So you use Harlequin+Soulsoother combination to tank, but what is the attachment combination suggested to tank Teles?

2) Is the "hp trick" (purposedly lower/raise your max HP to force a big cure which in turn will generate a lot of enmity) necessary even for stuff like Teles, or you don't have to bother for targets like this because you take enough damage already, ensuring a good stream of self cures?

3) How does the 87.5 damage taken cap works for Automaton? How do you break the 50% cap? I don't think you can reasonably reach 50% DT from gear alone, Automaton has no innate DT (aside from the 9% you get from Stout Servant). So is it a matter of attachments? Please explain to me how it works.

Thanks~
By Ruaumoko 2016-05-27 01:50:24  
1. Taken from my AutoControl lua.
<slot01>Strobe</slot01>
<slot02>Strobe II</slot02>
<slot03>Armor Plate III</slot03>
<slot04>Armor Plate IV</slot04>
<slot05>Mana Jammer III</slot05>
<slot06>Mana Jammer IV</slot06>
<slot07>Mana Booster</slot07>
<slot08>Regulator</slot08>
<slot09>Optic Fiber</slot09>
<slot10>Flashbulb</slot10>
<slot11>Auto-Repair Kit IV</slot11>
<slot12>Vivi-Valve</slot12>

Valoredge is the far superior tank when using Overdrive in my experience.

2. If you, the master, go anywhere near Teles expect to die - fast. Deploy and keep your distance, only going into range for Repair.

3. I'm quite sure that Automatons do actually get innate DT-%. If not then you get a lot of defense from the Armor Plates and Mana Jammers.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-05-27 02:00:55  
Armor Plates were changed to give PDT instead of Defense quite some time ago.
Equalizer (which I see you guys don't see) was the only strange DT thing (calculated past teh 50% cap) before that change.
Mana Jammers too were changed to give straight MDT.

Not sure if Jammers and Plates are calculated on a separate value from the 50% cap.
Assuming they are that would mean we need only 28.5 DT in gear (25,5 if you consider Vorseals) to cap DT?

That sounds too easy, but if it's that then I'm happy because I won't need 4x Taeon pieces with perf augs to cap DT :D

Rua which body do you use for Teles?
Valoredge body is unable to cast spells even if you equip Soulsoother head. Going full Valoredge is cool and everything but then how do you keep hate without the heals and spells casting? Strobes are clearly not enough?
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 18 19 20