フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Report Topic Request: Auto-Lock Topic
Report Topic Request: Auto-Lock Topic
 Phoenix.Baelorn
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2012-10-13 14:22:02  
Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
I really dislike this idea. It has some merits, but the abuse potential far outweighs them.

Swift bans for people who file false reports to create locks. That in itself would clear up a lot of future drama.
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-13 14:25:19  
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
that you were smart enough to understand that you were the aim of my post. I am, however, disappointed to see that you just rushed in to validate it. Especially with such attack, this is a "nou" at best.

I love how you think I would abuse a report lock feature when I've used the report post feature like, 4 times.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-13 14:26:38  
And it's been only in cases of direct slander against another player and/or extreme shows of racism/heterosexism.
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-10-13 14:38:49  
I'd much prefer a minimum post count to participate in the Politics & Religion sub-forum.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Blurrski
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: blurr69
By Ragnarok.Blurrski 2012-10-13 14:50:18  
I personally think there is already TO much moderation here, tbh. Peoples ignorant ***doesnt bother me at all, I either choose to troll back or ignore it, and I think everyone should have that right on internet forums. As for having to keep the site clean because of kids, all I have to say to that is, c'mon now..
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-10-13 15:14:05  
Ragnarok.Blurrski said: »
I personally think there is already TO much moderation here, tbh. Peoples ignorant ***doesnt bother me at all, I either choose to troll back or ignore it, and I think everyone should have that right on internet forums. As for having to keep the site clean because of kids, all I have to say to that is, c'mon now..

what section has too much moderation, exactly?
 Ragnarok.Blurrski
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: blurr69
By Ragnarok.Blurrski 2012-10-13 15:18:55  
Any topics/posts that get deleted, unless they are like illegal, someone making threats and etc.

edit: I would put spamming and advertising in there too. Im sure other instances I would consider ok to moderate a thread too but, not many. I would rather sift through peoples mindless dribble than lose my own right to troll if/when/why I see fit.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-10-13 15:45:16  
Cerberus.Tikal said: »
I'd much prefer a minimum post count to participate in the Politics & Religion sub-forum.
My 1000th post got nuked last night :|

On topic, I voted to no to this. I agree that the report post feature is enough plus the late-night trolltastic ***-waving threads are immensely entertaining.
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2012-10-13 15:59:42  
I did think Kalilla's idea was interesting, but as many have pointed out, auto-moderation of that sort is often seen as heavy-handed and/or could be abused by a quorum of like-minded users. The only real way to make it viewable as 'fair' from a user-perspective (on a thread-level instead of just a post-level) might be if the threshold for reports was very high--like maybe around 20 or 30 or so unique users reporting that thread, to avoid abuse.

But having a large number of users to auto-lock a thread defeats the purpose if the offending actions were to take place during "off-hours"/non-prime-time-usage cycles when few users might be on (aside from the abusive ones.)

Further, a thread-auto-lock of this type wouldn't necessarily prevent instances of spamming (as opposed to merely posting offensive posts within a thread) as the user causing the spamming would be free to create more threads. I do recall the situation a few weeks back when a user spammed several new threads and bumped all visible threads with advertisements of his website project, which later required removal of the bump posts/new threads. Having the threads able to auto-lock for posting wouldn't fix a situation of that kind, I think.

However, it does bring up a potential need (even if infrequent) for an automated limit to thread creation. Right now it is possible for someone (willing to be banned later LOL) to create infinite numbers of threads nonstop while moderators aren't present. Maybe limiting the number of threads that could be made in a time period (3 threads in 5 minutes or 10 minutes?) might work.

I have seen very little abuse of this spammy nature over the years (except maybe on April Fool's Day LOL) although potentially it could easily happen. I can't see an easy automated system that prevents mass-*bumping* of existing threads, however, without severely limiting regular users' abilities to post as often as they wish in different threads.

Again, I don't bring those up as optimal solutions (as more human mods obviously is the best choice)--just as Kalilla mentions, if mods are not present there is little to stop people from doing the above. But while on the topic of forum improvements, maybe there is need also for "polls" and voting features. ^_-
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2012-10-14 01:05:34  
^ This.
 Valefor.Esdain
サーバ: Valefor
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2012-10-14 01:22:29  
There should be a place where mods can discuss things between themselves and be able to 'moderate' themselves as a collective into a cohesive decision.

As far as response-time to out of control things goes... well you're right. Not everyone can be modding all the time. Things are gonna happen overnight or giant bunches of marked comments are gonna greet mods when they log in. We're not machines. The most heinous of things are deleted quickly upon the first mod that sees it dealing with it.

As far as being butt-hurt that you're on a forum for an MMO and seeing "ermahgerd they posted a 6 page thread all about My Little Pony and it was the number one topic during the 3:45~8:45 hours of some random day"... yeah. Things get dealt with properly and that didn't hurt anyone and in fact, wow. "Mods are asleep post ponies" image macro comes to mind.

However from what I've seen, the mods kill trolls quickly enough. No 'omg you locked that thread with over 9,000 posts last night because you and your ex had a fight about how you stole her Magikarp+1 Sword" havn't been let allowed to live.

Mods are doing a good job.

That one post where perhaps a new or vet mod blanket deleted a whole wall of some funny things 'cause because a boob was sticking out in one of 20 pictures. Mods should be able to surgically remove rather than wipe-all. I don't even wanna bother finding it, but I do recall it. New or sleepy mods should just let other mods do the work.

Anyhoo, just a reminder...

and... I can't believe I just wall of texted /and/ bumped this thread at 1:20 AM CST on a Saturday night / Sunday morning when there are going to be drunk people coming home from bars and trying to explain things.

[+]
 Bismarck.Angeleus
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2012-10-14 12:00:52  
What ever gets decided in the end, I bet in a few weeks from now someone else will make a bitching thread about another not important matters.

Besides, we have lost plenty of entertainers on these forums, so why most of you still bitching since most them have been banned and they have gone else where...
 Quetzalcoatl.Zubis
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Zubis
By Quetzalcoatl.Zubis 2012-10-14 12:27:03  
Valefor.Esdain said: »
"ermahgerd they posted a 6 page thread all about My Little Pony and it was the number one topic during the 3:45~8:45 hours of some random day"... yeah. Things get dealt with properly and that didn't hurt anyone and in fact, wow. "Mods are asleep post ponies" image macro comes to mind.

That was the source of all this, seriously? Ponies?