言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Report Topic Request: Auto-Lock Topic
Report Topic Request: Auto-Lock Topic
By Avitori 2012-10-13 12:45:48  
Leviathan.Draylo said: »
So you want to make this place even more boring? I don't think a drama thread on the front page every now and then is gonna kill anyone.

^

Where'd my drama thread go D:

edit: new page o.o here is a kitten for your viewing pleasure
By Jetackuu 2012-10-13 12:46:41  
Caitsith.Heimdall said: »
This would be a troll fest leaving mods having check every thread since every thread wold be reported by trolls.

then the solution would be to ban said trolls from the site, while I think a lot of people have left the site and it used to be a lot more fun, at the same time it's a nicer environment.

I like the idea Kal.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-10-13 12:58:02  
I really dislike this idea. It has some merits, but the abuse potential far outweighs them.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2012-10-13 12:58:06  
I'm the night moderator and when I get on, I'm usually the one handling the long drawn out crappy threads with no purpose and they sometimes are 9+ pages.

There's 3 other moderators that are suppose to be here during the day-ish... but who knows what they are doing. I do what I can.

As to the topic, I see this feature being abused easily within a group of people who will just find topics to auto-lock. I believe it'll give members too much power and therefore a lot of undeserving topics will be autolocked.
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: analgesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2012-10-13 13:00:27  
Worst idea ever. I've never understood why people have the need to control things that don't have to affect them.

If you don't like where a thread is going, no one is making you enter that thread or post there, and you'd have a hard time selling me on the fact that simply seeing the thread title at the top of the board is hurting you that much.

Even if you don't like where a thread is going, why would anyone feel a need to ruin the discussion for people who still have the desire to post there?

What makes your desire not to see the thread posted in more important than the desire of others to post there?
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-10-13 13:07:46  
Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
As to the topic, I see this feature being abused easily within a group of people who will just find topics to auto-lock. I believe it'll give members too much power and therefore a lot of undeserving topics will be autolocked.
I agree, except that people who abuse the report post feature get the privilege taken away from them, so it would be the same for topic reports.

I understand the concern, I have it as well, however I think it's easily dealt with.

Keep in mind that it would only auto-lock if a moderator doesn't visit the issue within a long period of time, for example say 5 hours. Over the course of 5 hours people would report the issue and it would eventually be locked. These numbers are just examples.

I'm not saying it's not a bad idea and it shouldn't happen, because it does have it's cons. I do also feel it has pro's, and that is why I asked for peoples opinions.

Thank you for your opinion though, I do agree with you.
[+]
By Fyyvoaa 2012-10-13 13:14:11  
Solution? Get more moderators that aren't in it for the popularity (not pointing fingers, just observation) Should have people on at all times to deal with crap threads/crap posts/morons.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2012-10-13 13:14:58  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
I agree, except that people who abuse the report post feature get the privilege taken away from them, so it would be the same for topic reports.

I understand the concern, I have it as well, however I think it's easily dealt with.

Keep in mind that it would only auto-lock if a moderator doesn't visit the issue within a long period of time, for example say 5 hours. Over the course of 5 hours people would report the issue and it would eventually be locked. These numbers are just examples.

I'm not saying it's not a bad idea and it shouldn't happen, because it does have it's cons. I do also feel it has pro's, and that is why I asked for peoples opinions.

Thank you for your opinion though, I do agree with you.

Thank you.

However, yes, the feature could be moderated as in who can have control of the autolock procedure but then again, wouldn't everyone that joins the site already have control? Therefore, if one person loses said privilege, all they have to do is create a new account, voila, access. Can't exactly use ip ban the access neither as you can bypass that with proxies.

I just think the cons outweigh the pros by a landslide margin.

Although, to give it a bit of life. We could 'trust' a group of worthy members with this feature. Sort of like... ffxiah neighborhood watch committee. That way, it'll work.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2012-10-13 13:17:36  
What about meeting half way and unmaining the thread, alot of people just watch the main page rather then forum page so that would reduce the number of people getting involved while not locking anyone currently involved out.

If it were to be implimented however there would need to be minimal tolerance for abuse though and the ability to report the full threads quickly taken away with little mercy.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-10-13 13:18:30  
I never considered making new accounts to report a post was even a possibility, so the abuse factor basically goes up an infinite amount.

A trusted community of members could be possible, but I think it would have to be based on the amount of activity on the account as well as age, and that is a lot just for something like this honestly.

So yea, really bad idea I guess.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2012-10-13 13:20:51  
I never considered making new accounts to report a post was even a possibility, so the abuse factor basically goes up an infinite amount.

A trusted community of members could be possible, but I think it would have to be based on the amount of activity on the account as well as age, and that is a lot just for something like this honestly.

Ideas are ideas. Some bad, some good but nonetheless, ideas for the community makes it better in the long run.
By Jetackuu 2012-10-13 13:28:51  

it isn't, and the number of people even on the internet that know how to use a proxy is very small.

The number of people that would abuse it is small, and those people can be easily dealt with.

Plus making the number of reports be over like 5 and it would require a good many of said trolls, while two years ago I think it would have been abused to no end, but a lot of the trolls have been banned or have left, I think it would be a nice feature now.

Community watch seems more like semi mods to me, but that's just my take on it.

(there's also the idea of only allowing linked accounts to use the feature, as it's kind of a pain to link them, and iirc AH can track the mules of a character, may be wrong, but I just don't see that many people (with knowledge of a proxy) bothering creating multiple FF accounts, SE accounts etc to just troll the forums here).
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-10-13 13:41:42  
Jetackuu said: »

it isn't, and the number of people even on the internet that know how to use a proxy is very small.

The number of people that would abuse it is small, and those people can be easily dealt with.

Plus making the number of reports be over like 5 and it would require a good many of said trolls, while two years ago I think it would have been abused to no end, but a lot of the trolls have been banned or have left, I think it would be a nice feature now.

Community watch seems more like semi mods to me, but that's just my take on it.

(there's also the idea of only allowing linked accounts to use the feature, as it's kind of a pain to link them, and iirc AH can track the mules of a character, may be wrong, but I just don't see that many people (with knowledge of a proxy) bothering creating multiple FF accounts, SE accounts etc to just troll the forums here).
"We" know who would abuse it, and that's the issue.

Policy wise, there are a lot of posters who should be issued temp bans on a daily basis but get away because of bias and other "but i'm an intelligent person/I'm educating the community" excuses.

This is a very dangerous idea just because of 4-10 posters, which is immensely sad.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2012-10-13 13:47:51  
I think people should grow up and get off the internet if a few lolcat pics upset them. If you are not an adult capable of just changing to another page when something offends you, I suggest you just unplug your computer and leave it that way.

Trolls and drama starters go away when you don't fuel them more. Just like a stray dog -- ignore it and it will go away.

That entire thread of politics offends me, yet I just steered away from it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-10-13 13:49:57  
Bahamut.Bekisa said: »
I think people should grow up and get off the internet if a few lolcat pics upset them. If you are not an adult capable of just changing to another page when something offends you, I suggest you just unplug your computer and leave it that way.
Your argumentation is absolutely terrible.

If we had to follow your logic blindly, there would be no need for moderation, ever, anywhere.

The main thing to steer away would be your posts, because you clearly have no understanding of the context or simply what is being discussed.
By Jetackuu 2012-10-13 13:54:09  
I'd boil it down to 2-3, and yeah even though I agree with some of them a lot of the times.

I think it would be worth a try, Scragg could probably whip something up in 5 minutes.
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-13 13:55:37  
God, you're so paranoid.

This feature could more than easily designed to be relatively abuse-proof.

I can't however think of any forum with any such feature in place, because it's stupid from an ideological standpoint.

The solution is more human moderation.

But also it needs to be understood that this is a discussion forum and things will get heated occasionally because people have opposing viewpoints and will get passionate when discussing them. Stop the presses!
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-13 13:57:03  
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
The main thing to steer away would be your posts, because you clearly have no understanding of the context or simply what is being discussed.

And with posts like this, you should just step down off your holier-than-thou pedestal right now and save the trouble of having to be forcibly removed.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-10-13 13:57:23  
Voted no. Seems excessive.
By Fyyvoaa 2012-10-13 13:57:53  
Fenrir.Sylow said: »
God, you're so paranoid.

This feature could more than easily designed to be relatively abuse-proof.

I can't however think of any forum with any such feature in place, because it's stupid from an ideological standpoint.

The solution is more human moderation.

But also it needs to be understood that this is a discussion forum and things will get heated occasionally because people have opposing viewpoints and will get passionate when discussing them. Stop the presses!

There's a different between heated and downright HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE though.

If it's just a heated discussion... good, awesome... go at it, settle your silly dispute, but if it's a stupid god aweful post or HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE thread... what's the point of keeping it? So people can fling their e-*** around?

I agree though, more... OR BETTER human moderation is what's needed, we don't need a silly automated script to let people abuse.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-13 14:00:42  
I never said there was any reason to keep it, just ... you know ... let the moderators do what they're there to do. There's absolutely no reason to have an automated locking system.

It's not like there's a timer on every shitty thread that count down to total destruction.
By Jetackuu 2012-10-13 14:02:24  
Still a report thread, or an option to report because it goes against the forum rules for posts in general would be nice.

Either way.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-10-13 14:02:52  
If we're able to get more moderators that would be the preferred solution, I don't really know how many people who signed up were qualified.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-13 14:03:25  
If you report a post the moderator has to look at the thread anyway.
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-10-13 14:04:35  
There is a report button on every post, if the OP is against the rules, report that. If an individual post goes against the rules, report that instead. I don't think a report thread option is necessary.
By Jetackuu 2012-10-13 14:07:23  
There's still not a "against the rule" or even a description box for the report feature, I seem to recall Scragg thinking the later would be a bad idea, but I know there was some times where posts were reported and the Mod probably looked at it and went "huh?" when if there was a description they could have had some idea of what they meant.

I mean there's an option for "I don't like this content" which makes about no sense...
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-10-13 14:07:26  
I just wish there was a field to put a specific reason to report a post. Happened in the past that I didn't know which to pick. I know a mod told me it doesn't matter cause they look at it anyway, but still I'd feel better without hitting a random thing just to get it through owo
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-10-13 14:08:35  
Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

And with posts like this, you should just step down off your holier-than-thou pedestal right now and save the trouble of having to be forcibly removed.
The content of my posts is far from the limit that would result in such action being taken.
However, if such action would be to happen despite this, I am totally fine with it.

I am happy that you were smart enough to understand that you were the aim of my post. I am, however, disappointed to see that you just rushed in to validate it. Especially with such attack, this is a "nou" at best.
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-10-13 14:08:40  
Yes but a "Report Thread" option just seems redundant when you report a post and they go through most posts anyways after enough reports.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-10-13 14:13:22  
Well Austar, report thread would only work if it did more than report a post.

It is redundant to add another report button when it doesn't do anything different.

This is all theoretically speaking if the OP became a reality, but the preferred solution would be more moderators to cover more of the day. I just didn't know if it was hard to find people or not, so I came up with a theoretical solution that would lock a thread while no moderators are online.

The problem is that there are times when no moderators are online. This would have been public moderation while moderators are off handing other priorities.