Report Topic Request: Auto-Lock Topic
First Page 2 3
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-10-13 11:20:05  
I'm creating this suggestion thread in hopes to gain some support for cleaning up the forum drama when moderators aren't around.

I would like to request that each topic (or at least each new topic after implementation if it happens) would gain a report topic link, for reasons why the topic should be locked.

Normally I would just say for people to send a PM to a moderator and they will take care of it. However, we all know that our moderators have their own lives to live and that there is no way for them to make sure that one of them is on at all times. Things come up and other priorities come first.

Even if we gained 2-3 more mods there will be times when none of them will be available to deal with situations. So here is my suggestion:

If a member feels a topic is inappropriate, or has a high chance to cause conflict and/or drama, there should be a link at either the top or bottom of the page (probably best by the title) so they can fill out a report. By doing this moderators would be notified of the topic just like they would be for a post. However, the difference is if there are enough reports for the topic then it would automatically lock itself until a moderator can take a look and decide if it should be unlocked and restored or remain locked.

If someone decided to spam create topics, create controversial topics, or has a high chance for conflict and drama to occur, I think the best action members could take is to report it, and stop the situation from getting worse while no authority is currently present. Reporting specific posts works to a point, but discussion and conflict/drama still goes on and I feel that isn't enough at times.

I would like to know how other members feel, and if they have other suggestions I would like to hear them. I'll include a poll for people who wish to vote but not create a post.

Do you think topics should automatically lock down if the topic is controversial or has a high chance of conflict and/or drama?

Yes, I would like for topics to auto-lock.
No, I think reporting posts is enough.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2012-10-13 11:40:04  
I sincerely hope you don't have regrets about posting the thread you made yesterday. Don't worry, Kal. They usually end up fizzling out or end in a marathon of jokes.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-10-13 11:42:22  
This really is for those cases where someone asks "Where is a moderator? Why isn't this being dealt with?" when there isn't one available atm.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2012-10-13 11:42:40  
This would be abused to hell and back.

Edit: Not that I think its a compleatly terrible idea, but if we can't handle [-]s I don't think we can handle this XD
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2012-10-13 11:49:40  
But then how will I ever have any fun? We'll have no more use for popcorn .gifs or 'dis gon b gud' memes..
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-10-13 11:51:42  
There is no need for this.

We should not start stopping things that can get out of hand, just because we think they might get out of hand.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-10-13 11:54:25  
This is for when the topics have got out of hand so they don't get worse.

I agree that it should rarely happen, but I feel there have been cases when a topic went on through the night that needed locked on page 3 and not page 10.

I'm not really pushing for either one, I'm just asking how people feel about it. Just an idea~
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-10-13 11:56:53  
So?

Okay, the topic ended up people waving their *** everywhere overnight while the majority of people are sleeping. In the morning it gets locked.

What's the difference?
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-10-13 11:58:35  
I support Kalilla's right to put forward a suggestion.

I support Sect's right to vote no.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-10-13 12:03:58  
Like I said, I'm just asking people if they would want this or not. I'm not pushing for either one, just bringing up the idea for people to speak up.

I think there are both pro's and con's to keeping a topic around, but when I see people ask "why isn't a moderator dealing with this" when there isn't one online it brings up the question if this should be allowed to go on or not. Yes, it will be dealt with when one logs in, but that could be 12 hours from then.

This is just to see how people feel about it, it's like asking if apples are better than oranges.
 Odin.Minefield
サーバ: Odin
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2012-10-13 12:05:08  
Apples are definitely better than oranges, no questions asked.
[+]
By Quiznor 2012-10-13 12:05:09  
Topic should be renamed to Kalilla vows to mass upsets if current administration go through!

<3 kal
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-10-13 12:06:00  
Odin.Minefield said: »
Apples are definitely better than oranges, no questions asked.
<3
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-13 12:06:18  
Is it really such a huge deal that shitty threads occasionally have to wait 6 hours to get nuked?
[+]
By Quiznor 2012-10-13 12:08:27  
Gotta agree with Sylow in a way.

At least they provide amusement for some in the 6 hours and after that,they vanish into the pages of history less talked about,like the Nintendo Virtual Boy and the Playstation Vita
 Caitsith.Zahrah
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2012-10-13 12:09:40  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
So?

Okay, the topic ended up people waving their *** everywhere overnight while the majority of people are sleeping. In the morning it gets locked.

What's the difference?

So, this was an over-night incident? Silly night AH rollers!

Can we get a Pleebo Pee-Wee's word of the day JPEG or an old school Simpsons reference in this thread now?

Childhood nostalgia. :) Satisfying!
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2012-10-13 12:10:08  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
I'm creating this suggestion thread in hopes to gain some support for cleaning up the forum drama when moderators aren't around.

I wish you the best of luck in this endevor.
(Rare occasion where no sarcasem is intended)
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-10-13 12:14:11  
Autolock isn't the solution and will not improve the forum quality and experience.

I have no idea if there are people trying to be mod on these forums, and by people I mean people with different schedule than the ones existing, but if so, that's the way to go.

I am a moderator on several huge French forums and while we all have jobs and lives, we have very different schedules despite all living in the GMT+1/2 timezone. That's the only way to properly moderate a forum. I understand it's not easy, but it's not particularly hard either.

Protip: an active and objective poster is the best moderator.
[+]
 Odin.Minefield
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2012-10-13 12:18:03  
I used to be a nocturnal poster here, until I had to wake up at like 9 each morning, then I couldn't stay up all night chatting :<.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-10-13 12:20:15  
Asura.Ina said: »
This would be abused to hell and back.

Edit: Not that I think its a compleatly terrible idea, but if we can't handle [-]s I don't think we can handle this XD
I agree, but I think it could he handled similar to how posts get moderated by users except it would take more people.

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Is it really such a huge deal that shitty threads occasionally have to wait 6 hours to get nuked?
It's not a huge issue at all. Me making this topic isn't a result of problems lately, it was just an idea and I wanted to know how others felt about it.

Yea, I personally would like to see the forums cleaned up quicker. I even said I would like to gain support for cleaning the forums. That however does not mean I am pushing for this idea specifically. I think topics should be locked sooner, and this idea would fix that. This also has cons to it, for example it could be abused or it could "take the fun" out of making fun of people.

However, I feel that if a moderator was on during an incident that it would be dealt with quickly, but because none are available at the time things are free to go as they please.

So I created a topic to see how people felt about it, and if they think it would help or not. This isn't something I'm pushing for, because I feel that people don't wish to be moderated more than they already are, but I also feel that others don't enjoy having the drama on the forums and would rather have actual discussions.

There are both pro's and con's to it.
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-13 12:23:44  
The solution is ensuring that there are enough moderators such that at least one is "generally" active at all times of the day.

Obviously, people have lives and schedules aren't 100% constant, but the world isn't going to explode if a ***-throwing thread survives until morning, especially since posts that are *blatantly* against the ToS and/or extremely offensive tend to end up pending moderation, anyhow.
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-10-13 12:29:16  
So you want to make this place even more boring? I don't think a drama thread on the front page every now and then is gonna kill anyone.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2012-10-13 12:34:09  
No one is saying its a big deal... It was just ment as a topic for thought/curiosity, interestingly though so far the poll is split fairly close to even.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-10-13 12:34:15  
It would be surprising if an unlocked thread started to explode and killing everyone, but I don't think that will happen.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2012-10-13 12:35:17  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
It would be surprising if an unlocked thread started to explode and killing everyone, but I don't think that will happen.
This is what will happen on Dec. 21... please nobody take that seriously.
 Phoenix.Lillicarnage
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Lillica
By Phoenix.Lillicarnage 2012-10-13 12:36:27  
I have no life and even when I am at school I have FFXIAH open.

Make me a mod, I'll clean things up real quick >:)

(No one can make drama threads if EVERYONE is banned muahahahahaha!)
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-10-13 12:36:56  
Scragg will save us, don't worry.
 Phoenix.Lillicarnage
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Lillica
By Phoenix.Lillicarnage 2012-10-13 12:39:17  
I wonder if there would be a way to implement an abuse feature but limit access to it. Maybe something like having the Temp-lock feature only be available to users who have been active more than 1 year or who have more than 10,000 posts or something.

If you wanted to get really fancy have it disabled entirely at any point that a moderator is logged in.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-10-13 12:42:06  
Mods occasionally log in and go afk, it's not that uncommon. They get updates through email/phone but sometimes they forget they are logged in I'm sure and people send them PMs thinking they are there.

Good idea though, it would compliment it if the system supported away instead of just online/offline.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2012-10-13 12:44:14  
This would be a troll fest leaving mods having check every thread since every thread wold be reported by trolls.
First Page 2 3