The Pirates' Lair: A Guide to Corsair
First Page 2 3 ... 81 82 83 ... 156 157 158
 Ragnarok.Afania
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-06-21 14:42:47  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
"Why not" for the same reason why you don't change any of the other jobs to /whm just cause you can.

Pls stahp.

There's a reason why COR/WHM was brought up over and over and over for the past 7 years. I agreed that in majority of the pt setup, /WHM is misused and it's often a cheap way to play the job. That doesn't mean it's the end of the world to use it.
 Sylph.Oraen
サーバ: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-06-21 14:47:20  
No, SAMs are no longer even close to the best DD. BLU, BST, and mythic DNC are the strongest at the moment. However, a good COR will do exceptionally well, especially in popular CP spots, such as bats in Woh Gates. Wildfire > Wildfire = dead bat. You don't need to worry about attack nearly as much as with a SAM and will still get the same or better results.

And you also can't overlook the support benefit offered by a COR. Corsair's Roll will make or break the effectiveness of a CP party, and combined with Chaos or Hunter's or Samurai's rolls and it provides a huge bonus. Bringing a COR will not only have the damage capability of the COR themselves, but also increase the strength of every other DD in the party.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-21 14:52:20  
Ragnarok.Afania said: »
There's a reason why COR/WHM was brought up over and over and over for the past 7 years
Yeah cause people play with mules and they prefer to put mules on buffer jobs while enjoying maining the dd.
[+]
By Afania 2015-06-21 14:54:25  
Sylph.Oraen said: »
No, SAMs are no longer even close to the best DD. BLU, BST, and mythic DNC are the strongest at the moment. However, a good COR will do exceptionally well, especially in popular CP spots, such as bats in Woh Gates. Wildfire > Wildfire = dead bat. You don't need to worry about attack nearly as much as with a SAM and will still get the same or better results.

If SE didn't nerf SAM that means DNC BLU and BST could probably score something like 11 or 12, which still proves my point it seems!

And you also can't overlook the support benefit offered by a COR. Corsair's Roll will make or break the effectiveness of a CP party, and combined with Chaos or Hunter's or Samurai's rolls and it provides a huge bonus. Bringing a COR will not only have the damage capability of the COR themselves, but also increase the strength of every other DD in the party.

I didn't say a word about "don't bring a COR".

I said "You need a COR for CP roll, you need a healer for the pt, why not combine both roles into 1 pt spot and free up a spot for another job?"
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-06-21 14:59:19  
There's a reason why COR/WHM was brought up over and over and over for the past 7 years
Yeah cause people play with mules and they prefer to put mules on buffer jobs while enjoying maining the dd.

I didn't advocate that kind of play style though. I probably /WHM 3% of time in my life. But even then I still got every cure potency gear and had around 800~1000 MP+ with MP gear when I was still playing. IF I know 5 DNC and BLU that could outparse me and if I can keep 5 DD alive with /WHM, I totally would do it.
 Bahamut.Malothar
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2015-06-21 15:03:22  
I haven't play FFXI for a while, so I'm not 100% sure about the DD hierarchy in CP pt now. But assuming it's still the same as 6 months ago when my account was active, SAM was still stronger than COR(in general....obviously in some situations leaden salute could parse higher just because it's magical)

That's where all your confusion is. With the buffs to MBs, mages are brought to things as DDs. With mages DDing, Geos are a given. And with Geos giving magic damage buffs, Leaden becomes a monster. Have a Brd buff the Cor or the Cor use rolls on themselves and they're fine to build TP and take part in the SCing with ridiculous results. SATA pre-nerf Rudras had nothing on the current state of the game.

Your silly 5 Sam 1 Cor/Whm VS 4 Sam 1 Cor and Whm example is pretty pointless too since you're not accounting for sustained killing speed, which is going to require either massive Refresh or the Sams to play more defensively with -DT sets, Third Eye, etc.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-06-21 15:06:57  
Bahamut.Malothar said: »
I haven't play FFXI for a while, so I'm not 100% sure about the DD hierarchy in CP pt now. But assuming it's still the same as 6 months ago when my account was active, SAM was still stronger than COR(in general....obviously in some situations leaden salute could parse higher just because it's magical)

That's where all your confusion is. With the buffs to MBs, mages are brought to things as DDs. With mages DDing, Geos are a given. And with Geos giving magic damage buffs, Leaden becomes a monster. Have a Brd buff the Cor or the Cor use rolls on themselves and they're fine to build TP and take part in the SCing with ridiculous results. SATA pre-nerf Rudras had nothing on the current state of the game.

Your silly 5 Sam 1 Cor/Whm VS 4 Sam 1 Cor and Whm example is pretty pointless too since you're not accounting for sustained killing speed, which is going to require either massive Refresh or the Sams to play more defensively with -DT sets, Third Eye, etc.

I did made a statement about the pt isn't using magic centric setup, so no malaise, no geo.

I think I also said something about "If you can kill fast enough so you don't need to turtle"

The OP didn't say a thing about his or her setup anyways. And he/she just got huge amount of "no don't do ettt" before knowing any detail.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-21 15:12:08  
You made your point, enough of this crap.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2015-06-21 16:12:34  
mythic DNC are the strongest at the moment.
I enjoy the fact that Maculele Tiara +1 virtually negates the Rudra nerf when stacked.... I guess SE were terrified that DNC would become the end-all-be-all of DDs. XD
(Not that that fact makes anyone take DNC seriously... but... ppl be jobist, yo.)

Honestly... The real advantage to COR/WHM... is light shotting that Dia2!
I mean... that's just TOTES worth the loss of DD traits from subbing WAR/RNG/DNC or even NIN, right? RIGHT!?
9_9

/WHM to be main healer on COR is like /SAM on RUN to be main DD.
You're being a crappy Healer, instead of being a DD. (RUN would be crappy DD instead of a Tank.)
The job is made to roll and shoot. (Obviously it needs a bit of buffing to put it up in what I would consider "good" range... but it's really not that much. Just a 3rd roll ability akin to GEO's Entrust, and a boost to marksmanship and COR is golden. Hell, just making 3 rolls available at 99 or a piece of gear that gives a third roll... There's so many ways to do it, and most take virtually no effort on the programming side. I honestly think SE just hates COR... Or they don't think it's problems are problems... given how GEO has basically replaced COR in almost all situations...)

Healing main and taking one of the already too few rolls just to refresh yourself just so you can do something the job was never meant to do and sucks at doing... is just bad play.
Honestly this conversation reminds me of main-healer-SMN... at least back then with only 1BP a minute... that had some reason behind it (you weren't doing anything else), but COR is not SMN (though they have the same style being DD-support jobs), and this is not the 75 era.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Lenus
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-06-21 16:44:17  

I didn't advocate that kind of play style though. I probably /WHM 3% of time in my life. But even then I still got every cure potency gear and had around 800~1000 MP+ with MP gear when I was still playing. IF I know 5 DNC and BLU that could outparse me and if I can keep 5 DD alive with /WHM, I totally would do it.

Plz tell me how you were able to get 800-1000mp at Lv75. Cause it was even hard to break 400 then. And COR/WHM is trash, COR/WAR forever.

Also NIN is best DD atm, quit lying guiz
 Asura.Hoshiku
サーバ: Asura
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-06-21 18:38:08  
I'm pretty sure I managed to get to 700 mp on cor at 75. It involved a lot of blood gear and full mp merits. Incidentally even when you start a situation with 700 mp it's gone quickly and doesn't go as far as you'd like (especially at 75 cap where we had perhaps 15% cure pot and no auto-refresh). The 49 vs 50 argument is complete nonsense btw. The 49 party can go continuously while the 50 party is going to have to take a break to wait on weakness frequently. I'd rather have a full time 49 than 50 80% of the time.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-06-22 01:15:44  
Lakshmi.Lenus said: »

Plz tell me how you were able to get 800-1000mp at Lv75. Cause it was even hard to break 400 then. And COR/WHM is trash, COR/WAR forever.

Which part of my post did I mention it was lv 75 lolz.
 Lakshmi.Lenus
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-06-22 01:43:54  

WHAT?! When did the level cap raise? Have I been playing on the wrong server?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-06-22 02:01:28  
FaeQueenCory said: »
mythic DNC are the strongest at the moment.
I enjoy the fact that Maculele Tiara +1 virtually negates the Rudra nerf when stacked.... I guess SE were terrified that DNC would become the end-all-be-all of DDs. XD
(Not that that fact makes anyone take DNC seriously... but... ppl be jobist, yo.)

Honestly... The real advantage to COR/WHM... is light shotting that Dia2!
I mean... that's just TOTES worth the loss of DD traits from subbing WAR/RNG/DNC or even NIN, right? RIGHT!?
9_9

/WHM to be main healer on COR is like /SAM on RUN to be main DD.
You're being a crappy Healer, instead of being a DD. (RUN would be crappy DD instead of a Tank.)
The job is made to roll and shoot. (Obviously it needs a bit of buffing to put it up in what I would consider "good" range... but it's really not that much. Just a 3rd roll ability akin to GEO's Entrust, and a boost to marksmanship and COR is golden. Hell, just making 3 rolls available at 99 or a piece of gear that gives a third roll... There's so many ways to do it, and most take virtually no effort on the programming side. I honestly think SE just hates COR... Or they don't think it's problems are problems... given how GEO has basically replaced COR in almost all situations...)

Healing main and taking one of the already too few rolls just to refresh yourself just so you can do something the job was never meant to do and sucks at doing... is just bad play.
Honestly this conversation reminds me of main-healer-SMN... at least back then with only 1BP a minute... that had some reason behind it (you weren't doing anything else), but COR is not SMN (though they have the same style being DD-support jobs), and this is not the 75 era.

RUN could DD in certain situation or setup, like SMN could heal in certain situation. No one is arguing that SMN and cor is the best healer ever nor we believe that run is the best DD ever. It's just an option to play the job when it's needed.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-06-22 02:03:51  

You used past tense in your last post, maybe you asked the wrong person.
 Asura.Cambion
user: Cambion
By Asura.Cambion 2015-06-22 03:07:00  

You used past tense in your last post, maybe you asked the wrong person.

He used 'even then' as the expression, not a quantifier of time:
2. in spite of what has (or had) happened.

"I probably /whm 3% of time in my life, but <in spite of that> I still got every piece of cure potency gear and had around 800~1000 MP+ with MP gear when I was still playing."
 Phoenix.Faloun
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Chroph
By Phoenix.Faloun 2015-06-22 07:42:23  
I was thinking about something to increase the COR gameplay, I don't know if it's a good idea, let me know what you think.

I thought we can do 2 modes on Quick Draw Shots, the usual one(MAB set) to get high damage with QD, and another one(TP set), to maximize TP gain, which allow you to do solo skillchain.

That's the set I though about :
ItemSet 335976

With Samurai Roll :
You can get ~350TP/shot, so with 2 shots you get ~700TP, and with the TP after ws(which is aprox ~300TP), you can do a WS, 2 shots and redo WS 1s after the first one, and allow you to solo skillchain.

For example :
- WildFire -> QD -> QD -> Wildfire -> Darkness skillchain.
- Exenterator(or Savage Blade) -> 2QD -> Last Stand -> Light skillchain
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-22 08:44:21  
Wouldn't you want Schutzen mittens?
[+]
 Phoenix.Faloun
By Phoenix.Faloun 2015-06-22 08:54:50  
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Good point, fixed it.
 Asura.Suteru
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2015-06-22 12:58:14  
I may have a problem.

Asura.Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-06-22 13:03:19  
Give it two months, they'll double the caps in each category.
 Asura.Suteru
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2015-06-22 13:10:37  
Yep. Wish the cap was higher, it'll take 155 points to take a category 10 > 20.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-06-22 15:48:19  
No, SAMs are no longer even close to the best DD. BLU, BST, and mythic DNC are the strongest at the moment. However, a good COR will do exceptionally well, especially in popular CP spots, such as bats in Woh Gates.

Do you really care about "best CP farm DD"? There are plenty of jobs that fill the role of DD just fine, and there's no good reason to be elitist about composition of a freaking CP party. Bring someone who can add damage. It could be BLU BST DNC SAM NIN THF DRG PUP MNK WAR DRK... I've seen plenty of BLMs in mixed parties up near the top of a parse, PLD rocking a DD set get get their CP and make a reasonable contribution, SMN or COR (obviously, given the forum) can add DD while buffing everyone, etc... Any DD job fills the same general role when you're farming CP.

Not that it matters, but as far as "best", I'd say my NIN can hang with any DD right now and I've recently compared to well played BST, SAM, BLU, THF, mythic DRG...

Let people CP on whatever job they need the points on, this isn't the kind of content where you really need to stress "optimal" - grab some friends, fill with trusts as needed, and go to town. Only real non-negotiables are you have to have some DDs, and most setups probably need a dedicated healer (either player or trust).

Quote:
And you also can't overlook the support benefit offered by a COR. Corsair's Roll will make or break the effectiveness of a CP party

Let's be honest, this is the REAL reason to want a COR in your CP party. And using an actual player COR is not nearly as important any more now that you can just pop Qultada and getting that Exp/CP+ roll. Not that I'm arguing Qultada is nearly as good as a real COR/DNC adding some non-negligible damage along with the buffs, but if there's no player COR available the trust COR probably helps you more than an extra real player of any other job.
[+]
 Asura.Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-06-22 16:29:41  
You kind of missed the point. We're not talking about the best DD for a CP party, and I agree that most jobs can fill that slot. The point is that a COR trying to solo heal a CP party would be painful and that you'd be better off bringing a dedicated healer and letting the COR DD while buffing.
 Lakshmi.Stepth
user: Stepth
By Lakshmi.Stepth 2015-06-22 17:06:18  
Can't we all just agree that despite what subjob you're using, SE needs to fix Phantom Roll and clarify the effect of the Quick Draw gift?
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
サーバ: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-06-22 17:15:29  
Now that I can agree on.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-06-23 04:20:49  
Asura.Hoshiku said: »
You kind of missed the point. We're not talking about the best DD for a CP party, and I agree that most jobs can fill that slot. The point is that a COR trying to solo heal a CP party would be painful and that you'd be better off bringing a dedicated healer and letting the COR DD while buffing.

Yeah, fair. I agree that COR and healer need to be two separate slots. Bringing a healer is non-negotiable in most setups (unless you're doing something like a bunch of mages or DNCs), and COR/WHM doesn't cut it.

If I had both the COR and healer slot open and was going to use one trust and one real player, I'd prefer the real player to go COR/DNC and use a healer trust (Apururu!) - more of a net gain than using a player healer and Qultada.

If I had a 5/6 party with no COR and no healer, I'd be filling that last spot with a dedicated healer (including trust) and just forsaking the COR. Not worth it to be to try to force a COR to fill both slots.
 Cerberus.Warviper
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Warviper
By Cerberus.Warviper 2015-06-23 08:04:57  
Its been a while since i played Corsair and totally forgot.

Do we Dia II and then Light shot x2
Or Light shot x2 and then Dia II?
 Phoenix.Faloun
By Phoenix.Faloun 2015-06-23 08:08:52  
first is the debuff spell(dia II), light shot will increase it
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-23 08:09:45  
First the debuff, then QD to enhance it.

You're getting confused with empy boots: you shoot QD to enhance magic damage of the same element for a short time.
First Page 2 3 ... 81 82 83 ... 156 157 158