The Pirates' Lair: A Guide to Corsair
First Page 2 3 ... 156 157 158
 Ragnarok.Afania
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-06-16 18:17:29  
Cerberus.Maeldiar said: »
How about a tricks of the trade section? I'm about 70% done with my gun and have been observing how CORs play. One of the things that keeps me going is perfecting a new job ^^

Some things you can add:

- Having an eleven roll gives you several bonuses such as: resetting phantom roll timer, halving the phantom roll recast, unlimited busting on the 2nd roll.

- In an event such as provenance, most alliance leaders will have the CORs in each party get double 11s while outside the bcnm to save time. Once this is achieved you can lock yourself in a cut scene to preserve these buffs if other CORs are wrestling lady luck to get their 11s.

- When is the best time to use fold? Nowadays the trend seems to be double 11s or go home. Therefore I think it's best to use fold when you get that first bust even if you do have the augmented gear to have a chance to remove double busts, just one bust can ruin your day.

- When is the best time to use snake eye? With the new description on the merit ability this can become unclear. To me personally I would only use it when:

1) My first roll is 10, and I want that initial 11
2) I've busted and used fold, my re-roll is 7+, I'll chance it for that 11
3) I have an 11 roll, I've rolled a 10 or just 1 below the lucky number on the 2nd roll, use snake eye to save time and preserve buff timer on 1st roll

- Logging out or zoning clears bust statuses

Just my humble 4 cents or so, I'm still wrapping my mind around the job so feel free to add or correct anything.

You can also add rolling/busting away from party member to keep the buff number you want on them or preventing your own No.11 got overwritten.
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2012-06-16 19:30:46  
Cerberus.Maeldiar said: »
- In an event such as provenance, most alliance leaders will have the CORs in each party get double 11s while outside the bcnm to save time. Once this is achieved you can lock yourself in a cut scene to preserve these buffs if other CORs are wrestling lady luck to get their 11s.
Do what you can, don't stress the rest. If perfect rolls make or break the group its something else that needs to change.
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-16 19:46:58  
They don't care because XIs aren't the difference between winning and losing, they're the difference between a 3 minute fight and a 2 minute and 47 second fight.

If you even have to re-roll once, you've pretty much evened out on the benefit.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2012-06-16 20:03:42  
Bismarck just isn't the same without you. Instead of getting off topic I have a question about section 7 the first(optimal) gearset for WF!

My gearset is:

I don't do Abyssea as COR so I don't need a second set for that and if I do its cause I'm brewing. So my question is, exactly how much of a set bonus do you get that merits using all that Thaumas over the gear I use? I just want to say I'm doing Provenance Watcher for that body as much as I can and I for sure would use Thaumas hat over Pandinus anyday.
 Bahamut.Havelock
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Havelock
By Bahamut.Havelock 2012-06-16 20:07:22  
Thaumas hat is 8 more AGI than you have now, take off gloves to see the difference its that easy.
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-06-16 20:12:46  
4/5 is +10 AGI for set bonus.
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2012-06-16 20:18:10  
Bahamut.Havelock said: »
Thaumas hat is 8 more AGI than you have now, take off gloves to see the difference its that easy.
Think you misunderstood.

Ramuh.Austar said: »
4/5 is +10 AGI for set bonus.
Thank you I appreciate it.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-06-16 20:18:15  
I love it Seha! There is no excuse for me not to level cor any longer.

*gets level 15 gear ready!*
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-06-16 20:28:50  
Btw seha, if you wanted to make your Content list have links to the direct posts its easy enough if you're interested!

You can make these links so readers can jump to the section they wish to read without scrolling, and it only takes two steps:

You wrap the text around with this url, name it w/e you want after the # sign:
[url=#Introduction]1. Corsair: Introduction[/url]

Then place this to where you want the link to take you after clicking it, it has to be on the same page for it to work:
[div id=Introduction]

It will work like this:

1. Corsair: Introduction

Here!

Just be sure to name the link name different for each link and if you need a space include an _ sign instead of a space.
[+]
 Phoenix.Chomeymatt
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Chomeymatt 2012-06-16 21:09:10  
Read all of it. Something I would definately include would be to strive for 11s for Voidwatch. I've seen so many CORs give bs rolls when they can easily reroll/fold/random deal/log off a double bust and use Snake Eye even. A 11 or 11s, makes a huge difference for the DD.
[+]
 Ramuh.Kailana
user: Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2012-06-16 23:57:59  
Love this thread, not sure if mentioned, but the store tp build for armageddon only nets 24.8
[+]
 Siren.Fupafighters
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-06-17 04:27:37  
Don't forget corsairs that do dynamis, that you have light shot. Very useful when there are links, and quick draws can proc too.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-17 04:56:22  
Thanks a lot Kali, I tried putting it with html which was the only way I knew and didn't work, I didn't know how to do it with bbc.

I'm gonna add the various things that you guys have been suggesting today, thanks for contributing and helping with improving it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-18 04:58:29  
Phoenix.Chomeymatt said: »
Read all of it. Something I would definately include would be to strive for 11s for Voidwatch. I've seen so many CORs give bs rolls when they can easily reroll/fold/random deal/log off a double bust and use Snake Eye even. A 11 or 11s, makes a huge difference for the DD.
Sure it's a good thing to do, that is if the people there give the cor the time to do so. When the leader says "popping in 10" and the cor has barely just started buffing it is not worth aiming for perfect rolls. If the party doesn't care enough to wait for said perfect buffs than neither does the cor and you'll get whatever Lady Luck granted you.
Keep on trying when the fight is already started is bad for two reasons:
- The party is actually buffless until the cor finishes with all the busts and rerolls.
- You're losing the corsair damage(which mind you is not so little if the cor is good)for a comparetively smaller increase in yours(perfect buff vs non perfect buff, which still is a buff nonetheless).

If you(generic)give me(corsair)all the time in the world, then sure I'll be more than happy to Fold, Random Deal, zone, logout and reroll until the end of time.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-06-18 05:02:04  
Totally did level my COR now, gonna make myself an Armageddon while gf is on vacation in july :p
Gonna just use the "fake relic" coronach gun until then, or is there another cheap\efforlessly-easy-to-get gun I should just use until then?
I'm not too worried about beeing 100% optimal until I make the real gun*
 Ramuh.Austar
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-06-18 05:03:31  
Stoertebeker is like 10K
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-06-18 05:05:49  

Somehow I managed to completely overlook that D:
Hexagun too! Will grab once I get home from work.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-18 06:56:37  
Bismarck.Ruizutatakau said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Abyssea is old hat now, but is the math or testing out there for Atma mix?

Hell's Guardian/Ultimate/Smoldeing Sky is what I've been using.

Without brew up I can see that beating a setup with Griffin's Claw.

Edit: Also, Seha, you're a terrible Corsair. This looks like a lot of work. What kind of Corsair wastes all this time for other people's benefit? Goin' soft, I tell ya.

(That is to say, nice work.)
Ultimate is better instead of Lone wolf?
Unless my math was wrong(and I wouldn't rule out the idea), Lone Wolf is better than Ultimate, so best combo for purest WF damage would be HG/SS/LW. And that was assuming ideal gear, blm sub and a mob that has no magic defense bonus, which would make an additional mab atma even less valuable. Read below, made a mistake here.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-06-18 07:24:47  
I've never done the math, just eye trials. I've also not done serious Abyssea at all and only hopped in on on Corsair (mostly just popping in to kill the diremite boss for revitalizers) since I got Hell’s Guardian anyhow.

Previously I was using Ultimate/Lone Wolf/Smoldering sky to great effect.

I just figured the massive MAB from Ultimate/Hell’s Guardian would edge out one of the fire affinity ones based on previous results, but again. No math to back that up what-so-ever.
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-06-18 10:34:12  
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
I've never done the math, just eye trials. I've also not done serious Abyssea at all and only hopped in on on Corsair (mostly just popping in to kill the diremite boss for revitalizers) since I got Hell’s Guardian anyhow.

Previously I was using Ultimate/Lone Wolf/Smoldering sky to great effect.

I just figured the massive MAB from Ultimate/Hell’s Guardian would edge out one of the fire affinity ones based on previous results, but again. No math to back that up what-so-ever.

[floor(5.5 * (Lv + 2 + floor(.85 * floor(AGI * .6))))] + [2 * (Your AGI-Enemy INT)] * mab * staff bonus * day/weather bonuses

Assuming COR 200 AGI enemy 80 INT 54 MAB in gear+SJ

With x2 MAB atmacite=
5.5x(101+(0.85x(200x0.6))+(2x 120)x2.54x1.15=(1116+240)x2.54x1.15=3960

Add 1 fire affinity atma=5148

With 1 MAB atmacite=(1116+240)x2.04x1.15=3181

Add 2 fire affinity atma=5089

Unless I calculate some step wrong, 2x MAB+1 fire affinity wins
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-06-18 11:33:07  
My eyeballing is vindicated!

Not that there's any pride to be taken there, because it was just eyeballing and educated guesses, which is not the way to do things in a serious fashion anyhow.

Looking at it, however, it's still relatively close and could be influenced by gear/etc.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-18 12:21:21  
Ok, redid my math and there was indeed a mistake in the final part, I calculated the affinity atma wrong! Got pretty much same result as Afania, double mab wins by an impressive 1~2%!

Sorry about the mistake, will be more careful in the future.
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2012-06-18 12:51:22  
Yeah depending on your build you would probably want to use different choices.
 Phoenix.Freynebord
By Phoenix.Freynebord 2012-06-19 06:42:50  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
proc tier 2 magic in VW(you shouldn’t, but it happened to me once, never say never! Crazy stuff.)
*rolls eyes*
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-19 11:45:33  
You made me do it! :|
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-19 13:37:06  
Notes:

AGI Bonus from /BLU beats out the slight MAB increase from /RDM for a slight decrease in QD damage. In Voidwatch, where you'll WF more than you QD, this is worth considering. Also, you can proc some Blue Magic, but whatever.

Outside of brew, wouldn't something like Sea Daughter be the best option for a 3rd atma? It's somewhat difficult to quantify the benefits of regain, but unless you're engaging with daggers or something, I feel like the increased WS frequency should result in a significant net increase.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-19 13:41:51  
:o

If you're going with ranged damage sure I'd recommend Sea Daughter, or good luck getting tp on things that melees kill before you pull out the gun xD but I also kinda feel to say that it's not really worth it to spend bullets in abyssea :| I'll add a section about normal atmas btw, I didn't cause I kinda felt lolaby who cares xD

Made me curious about the blu thing anyway, I'm gonna investigate further and deeper!
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-06-19 13:55:45  
Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Notes: AGI Bonus from /BLU beats out the slight MAB increase from /RDM for a slight decrease in QD damage. In Voidwatch, where you'll WF more than you QD, this is worth considering. Also, you can proc some Blue Magic, but whatever.

/twitch

Edit: on a serious note, if using Wildfire in VW, I'm /sam. /war on Last Stand mobs.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-19 14:03:20  
I'm not convinced /SAM is all that strong in VW. It's obviously amazing outside of it, but shooting/meditate is such a tiny factor of TP gain in please-have-all-this-free-TP-watch.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-06-19 14:05:23  
in (wildfire) VW, /BLM all the way