Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-02-15 18:20:14  
02-14-2012 04:51 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Greetings!

Producer Hiromichi Tanaka commented earlier on the Xbox freezing issue during Voidwatch battles and I would like to share it with you all.

Hiromichi Tanaka:
I would like to inform you of the current progress with the XBOX360 freezing issue.
I apologize for the inconveniences this has caused.

• Issue

For FFXI, the necessary renderings in-game are deployed from read memory files and then displayed.

The effect management program receives requests for necessary in-game effects, requests the effect file, and plays it back at the deployment stage from memory or opens the effect files that are not necessary due to area changes, etc.

Files that are being read consume memory, while files that are opened free up memory.

The necessary structuring for effect rendering is contained in effect files.

Models, sound, sequences, textures, and other things are packed and when organized together it makes it possible to render a single magic spell or other things.

The effect management program has a cache feature so that even if the same magic spell is requested, as long as it has already been deployed from memory, it will re-use the existing memory without reading the file. This feature quickly responds to effect requests and will not use up free memory space, but for other effect requests it needs to read the file and it consumes memory. As the amount of things that need to be read increase, memory consumption increases as well.

Currently these types of effect files are remaining in memory more than we had thought and as a result it is causing termination due to a lack of memory. As a countermeasure to this, we are monitoring the cases where memory consumption is large and adding a process to open these effects that are not being utilized.

With this addition, it will be possible to free up memory and inhibit the things that cause insufficient memory while playing.

• Current Status

For the hardware specs of the 360, memory that stores textures and memory that stores things other than textures are shared, creating a scenario where there are situations that easily cause insufficient memory. Due to this, when we first confirmed the occurrence of insufficient memory we tried to open the effect textures that were being shared; however, there were cases where program termination would occur during playback and we were forced to change our approach.  

Also, when adding an open process, we discovered a number of areas for insufficient memory that we did not expect, so we proceeded to handle this as well so that problem would not worsen.

Currently, we changed this so not only the textures, but all effect files in general would be covered by the open process and we are now performing tests in test environments and official client. Unfortunately, even with this, problems related to textures are occurring, and we are currently trying to eliminate the problems one by one.

At any rate, we are working on this with higher priority than other content development, but we are behind on this, diving into this situation where nothing has been fixed. Unfortunately these fixes didn’t make it in time for the version update that just took place; however, the programmers are working their hardest to make it for the March version update.

If there are any significant developments with this issue I will be sure to let you all know.

Subscribe

02-29-2012 05:09 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Greetings!

There was another update from Yoji Fujito in regards to the Xbox 360 freezing issue during Voidwatch that I would like to share with you all.

Yoji Fujito said:
Thank you very much for your patience.
I’d like to report that we are in our final adjustment phase for the program fixes of the areas that are causing the freezing issue.

Currently, we’ve run our tests and the edited program is displaying the behavior that we envisioned.
However, there are still some bugs that are left, similar to what was expressed in Producer Tanaka’s previous comment.

We are at the point where we would really like to prepare a Xbox 360 version test server and have everyone check this out, but the test server is setup for the Windows versions and it is not possible.
Since the Xbox 360 version functions with a system that is similar to the Windows version, we will apply the same treatment to the Windows version and monitor the situation. Since the Windows version itself has a large amount of effects that consume a lot of memory, this should also lighten this up as well.
Also, this current issue has to do with effect textures, so it will be possible to fix this without affecting the specs if this bug occurs.

We would really appreciate it if everyone who tests the game on the test server could keep an eye out for this and send in reports.

Things to observe:
All effects. Below are examples:

• Effects when players use weapon skills, magic, and abilities

• Effects when enemies use their abilities

• Effects displayed in cut scenes

• Effects from item and equipment usage

What to look for:

• Texture glitches

• Freezing (effect data corruption or editing program bug)

In the case that any of the above problems occur, please let us know with a detailed bug report what happened and in what case it happened.

Also, once everything is running properly on the test server we will applying the edit program to a version update in the near future.

Thank you all very much for your cooperation and support.
Subscribe

03-16-2012 05:32 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Howdy!

I’d just like to give another update on the status of the Xbox 360 freeze issue.
We have performed tests with the editing program applied to the Windows version and a number of minute problems have been eliminated. As such, we will be implementing the current editing program into the game during this month’s version update.

We would like to keep a close watch on this even after the version update, so if you see any problems, please be sure to let us know!
Subscribe

03-30-2012 01:54 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Greetings!

With the version update that just took place the other day, countermeasures have been implemented for the issue where the Xbox360 would freeze due to many in-game effects going off.

Regarding the issue where the game freezes for a short period of time upon zone change, this is due to the loading of game data from local resources. In the case the freeze issue does not resolve after a certain period of time, we believe it may be due to another cause, so please send us the details if you encounter this.
(The issue where the game freezes for a short period of time also occurs in the Windows version.)

On a side note, in regards to the issue where the light from the lantern shines directly on the ground, which has been occurring after the March version update, the QA team has confirmed this issue under testing environments. We are working on this matter to have it resolved and will give an update once there is progress. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconveniences these issues may cause.
(This issue also occurs in the Windows version)
Subscribe
 Valefor.Houppelande
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Houppelande 2012-02-15 18:21:00  
yay about time they addressed this lol
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-02-15 18:22:18  
Yea sorry about not posting it yesterday, slipped my mind.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-15 18:23:45  
so is that going to fix more than voidwatch?

(didn't read all of it, will later)
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-02-15 18:28:18  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said: »
so is that going to fix more than voidwatch?

(didn't read all of it, will later)
Voidwatch is what people are doing the most right now, so that is the theme of it basically. I don't play FFXI on Xbox, but I'm sure this same issue happens outside of voidwatch as well.

The only thing that comes to mind is black screening in sky on PS2.

I'm not sure if that is the same thing or not.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-15 18:30:21  
I was rarely able to finish besieged when I used to play, I don't think of been in sky on my ps2 so idk what does that.

even the new xbox I have freezes in aby.

but if they can fix that then good. (although I'll probably play on the pc for the most for awhile, due to my laptop being portable).
 Caitsith.Sai
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Saiii
By Caitsith.Sai 2012-02-15 18:32:36  
Hopefully this will fix campaign and besieged as well.
[+]
 Sylph.Leroyj
サーバ: Sylph
user: Leroyj
By Sylph.Leroyj 2012-02-15 18:50:00  
Glad to hear that they got around to fixing this, but still annoyed at how long it took them to get around to it, just makes me wonder wth were they doing I used to play on xbox 4 years ago -FOUR- and I would always have this problem if I was in dynamis/besieged/campaign anything that had a lot of spam in it and it takes them 4+ years to finally fix this problem. People are paying for this game and it seems as though most of the time they were just screwing around. Oh well I play on laptop now so it doesn't matter to me now but still unfair to the rest of the people who do.

P.S Moogle Law
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-02-15 19:07:47  
Sylph.Leroyj said: »
Glad to hear that they got around to fixing this, but still annoyed at how long it took them to get around to it, just makes me wonder wth were they doing I used to play on xbox 4 years ago -FOUR- and I would always have this problem if I was in dynamis/besieged/campaign anything that had a lot of spam in it and it takes them 4+ years to finally fix this problem. People are paying for this game and it seems as though most of the time they were just screwing around. Oh well I play on laptop now so it doesn't matter to me now but still unfair to the rest of the people who do.

P.S Moogle Law
They've actually have been working on this for ~4 months sadly.
 Bismarck.Treasurehider
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Jessee
By Bismarck.Treasurehider 2012-02-15 19:19:37  
Dynamis Xarc this would occur as well. From how Hiromichi Tanaka put it, it does sound like this would affect the freezing issues in Beseiged, Campaign, and Dynamis as well (these are the 4 areas I'm aware of during my time playing on Xbox, with the 4th being Voidwatch itself).

So here's hoping the client for xbox gets much better (i.e. not freezing and making me rage 5 minutes before Beseiged ends).
 Leviathan.Phenomena
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-02-15 19:26:21  
sadly my ps3 still freezes on random npcs... froze trying to enter mob house in Ru'Lude Gardens.. and on the porting npc in upper jeuno, sometimes on my ps2 it freezes on the taru who ports in aht urghan.

though its a lot easier to reset a ps3 than ps2. so i don't care too much, and sometimes if i wait long enough (5 mins, ask for sammich) it fixes itself. but ya besieged on ps2 sucked because it would sometimes blackscreen
 Bahamut.Darkone
By Bahamut.Darkone 2012-02-15 19:46:41  
There is something seriously wrong if they are having a hard time creating at least a temp fix while they look at creating a better solution.
 Asura.Akamatzu
サーバ: Asura
user: Akamatzu
By Asura.Akamatzu 2012-02-15 19:55:54  
This used to happen to me when I was PLD tanking dynamis at 75 days. Was not very fun. I hope they fix it for besieged and abby sometimes
 Phoenix.Bomber
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-02-15 21:56:24  
Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
sadly my ps3 still freezes on random npcs... froze trying to enter mob house in Ru'Lude Gardens.. and on the porting npc in upper jeuno, sometimes on my ps2 it freezes on the taru who ports in aht urghan.

though its a lot easier to reset a ps3 than ps2. so i don't care too much, and sometimes if i wait long enough (5 mins, ask for sammich) it fixes itself. but ya besieged on ps2 sucked because it would sometimes blackscreen
^ This so much ..idk why they cant fix it but they are able to F up new things on every new update like more things are added to what gives you blackscreen and freezes ..i cant finish WOTG bcuz sandy glowy spot for lilisette's memory gives me black screen at the right same frame
 Valefor.Monkeynutz
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Monkeynutz 2012-02-15 22:23:06  
Bahamut.Darkone said: »
There is something seriously wrong if they are having a hard time creating at least a temp fix while they look at creating a better solution.

The only temporary solution I can think of would be a toggle for effects, which as far as I understand they do actually have. They'd need to go a bit deeper with said toggle to actually prevent it from loading into memory (I imagine the current one merely prevents it from displaying), but as far as I know all the necessary files may be so interdependent that blocking the animations and sound effects from loading into memory in the first place (to prevent clogs and crashes) might render abilities and spells that utilize the effects unusable.

I imagine the fix they're aiming for would be something that loads and unloads files more quickly and efficiently due to the 360's very limited memory. What I don't understand is how the PS2 doesn't suffer tremendously more since it has so much less memory. I guess the 360 just suffers a ton because it's a port of a PC game which is itself a port of a PS2 game.
 Shiva.Garlend
サーバ: Shiva
user: Garlend
By Shiva.Garlend 2012-02-15 22:34:47  
Wow they are finally fixing this? Freezing has been a problem on the 360 version since day 1.
 Carbuncle.Sambb
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2012-02-16 02:26:23  
Hmmmm I am glad they have given an update, this clearly is something bigger than originally thought. I mean I turn off literally all effects for VW on my 360 and I will freeze if I dont temp log to title screen after each fight. I do hope there is a solution they can find as general gaming experience will improve and thats always good!!
 Leviathan.Blackwhirlwind
By Leviathan.Blackwhirlwind 2012-02-16 02:40:03  
I would freeze during campaign and besieged on xbox i got fed up loosing exp/an/isp from battles i went to pc. I use my 360 as a back-up means incase my laptop takes a dump. Im glad this issue is fallen being addresses once in for all.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-02-16 02:54:51  
Everybody on lolbox should just start playing on PC :D

No but really, about time they try to actually fix this.
Really sucks then at times 1\4th of the alliance suddenly DC during a pickup VW group due to beeing on 360.
[+]
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2012-02-16 03:11:07  
Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Everybody on lolbox should just start playing on PC :D

No but really, about time they try to actually fix this.
Really sucks then at times 1\4th of the alliance suddenly DC during a pickup VW group due to beeing on 360.
Please do... I know people enjoy playing on consoles but it doesn't take an expensive PC to run XI and you can easily use a controller on the PC version... not to mention most laptops and new video cards have some form of audio/video output such as DVI/HDMI/Composite/Component outs on them and can easily be hooked up to a TV/monitor etc...

XI's coding is a shitfest of memory leaks and messy and unoptimized code, the PC version is probably the tightest build due to the nonrestrictive memory limits that PC players have the advantage of using.
[+]
 Fenrir.Krucial
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Krucial
By Fenrir.Krucial 2012-02-16 06:19:51  
Everybody on lolbox should just start playing on PC :D No but really, about time they try to actually fix this. Really sucks then at times 1\4th of the alliance suddenly DC during a pickup VW group due to beeing on 360.

Then who would be left to teach PC players how to play thier jobs correctly? ZOMG i need a timer to tell me provoke is 30 secs. No Thanks
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-02-16 06:21:16  
Fenrir.Krucial said: »
Everybody on lolbox should just start playing on PC :D No but really, about time they try to actually fix this. Really sucks then at times 1\4th of the alliance suddenly DC during a pickup VW group due to beeing on 360.

Then who would be left to teach PC players how to play thier jobs correctly? ZOMG i need a timer to tell me provoke is 30 secs. No Thanks

Because PC automaticly means windower and stuff?
Yeah, No.
I was referring to the whole crash-issue.
Read Darkshades post
 Shiva.Schatzie
user: itemset
By Shiva.Schatzie 2012-02-16 06:36:20  
Fenrir.Krucial said: »

ignorant statement is ignorant. windower does not influence skill in any way, just makes somethings less convoluted to access already available information.
[+]
 Bahamut.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-02-16 06:48:28  
Valefor.Monkeynutz said: »
What I don't understand is how the PS2 doesn't suffer tremendously more since it has so much less memory. I guess the 360 just suffers a ton because it's a port of a PC game which is itself a port of a PS2 game.
My guess is they overestimated the power of the Xbox, and expected it to be able to handle more.
 Bahamut.Fistandantilus
By Bahamut.Fistandantilus 2012-02-16 07:01:23  
Bahamut.Krizz said: »
Valefor.Monkeynutz said: »
What I don't understand is how the PS2 doesn't suffer tremendously more since it has so much less memory. I guess the 360 just suffers a ton because it's a port of a PC game which is itself a port of a PS2 game.
My guess is they overestimated the power of the Xbox, and expected it to be able to handle more.

Actually this is a problem for ps2/ps3 now as well. The 1st several installments of VW I never had any issues (Aside from horrible lag which I have doing most events) on Ps3. However on this last round which introduced Tier 6's I have had multiple blackscreen crap.

Honestly idgaf if they fix it. Moving back to vegas soon, and I will be back to high speed cable connection. Gonna switch to pc when I get there. Played 04' to present on ps2 then ps3 when it came out. It is just too much of a pain in the balls with the lag, freezing on npc's/cut scenes/Maws, and now VW.
 Leviathan.Blackwhirlwind
By Leviathan.Blackwhirlwind 2012-02-16 07:26:29  
yeah the freezing on npc's was a new one on me, when one of my friends said they couldnt move after talking an npc, they got someone to cast cure on them to knock them out of it but had to log out completely to fix it.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-02-16 07:31:27  
Thread title is misleading. I really, really hoped they were addressing the fact that a very vocal percentage of the fanbase thinks Tanaka is a jackass.

Very dissapointed. ._.;
[+]
 Phoenix.Archeim
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Archeim
By Phoenix.Archeim 2012-02-16 08:20:28  
Every time i zone from any area into any other area my xbox freezes for a bit... then unfreezes. Anyone else have that issue?

Otherwise... sometimes in besieged (especially when i had diabolos out) my xbox will totally freeze... and i would have to restart. Having fenrir summoned i havent run into that particular problem.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-02-16 08:29:03  
FFXI has been crashing for me recently any time I change job at a Nomad Moogle. It's very strange. Meh. Probably completely unrelated given that I'm playing on PC, but meh.
First Page 2 3