users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » July Patch - PLD
July Patch - PLD
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-07-12 02:56:47  
Tried a normal shield? Ochain/Aegis may be exempt from the rule.
By FOODNIPPLE127 2011-07-12 03:27:23  
inb4.99merits4DErecast
 Carbuncle.Blazer
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: blazey
By Carbuncle.Blazer 2011-07-12 13:10:21  

In all honesty you should have another paladin with the ochain. It helps a lot to have 2 really geared tanks with special shields. I honestly can't imagine (although I'm sure it's been done) a paladin tanking effectively in voidwatch with a shield that isn't aegis or ochain. We duel tank a lot of the nm's with my ochain and someone else on aegis. This works very well.

Yes, I've also seen it miss a block on a tp move here and there, but it is damn close to 100%
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-12 13:35:08  
Hey guys, I don't know if you've come to similar conclusions as I haven't had a chance to read the thread yet, but here's what has been found about Divine Emblem.

The BGwiki Cover talk page has some info on Cover, but skimming the first page here makes it look like it might be more complicated than that.
 Cerberus.Lightvision
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2011-07-13 00:05:27  
Bahamut.Zellc said:
haha yea i get it now and sorry for the confusion on the way i said it. but yea our shell plans to take on more voidwatch now that the aegis pld in shell is almost done with souls and can do the dragon in a few days to have the second ochain.

but here is my question: i know aegis isnt gimp, but with both shields in possession, would said pld just equip aegis when being casted on? its not like it doesnt block at all, but just not as much as a ochain.

from my understaning Aegis shines more than ochain for Voidwatch because of the heavy nukes makes it easier on the mages, personally i have done voidwatch as PLD/WAR and done just fine using Kaiser Shield, and never run into any troubles.

i have done voidwatch outside of my LS doing it and ochain PLD's overall take the most damage, more than 3 times, than an Aegis 90 PLDs.

so why wait till the Aegis PLD has complete thier ochain? they will prob tank better than the ochain PLD
 Bismarck.Kyokaku
サーバ: Bismarck
user: subakyo
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2011-07-13 00:12:06  
Depends on the NM.

We have both, so no matter what, we're fine :)
 Ifrit.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-07-13 00:12:19  
I heard that Aegis lets you go past the normal 50% MDT cap, is this true? And if so, what is the new cap? And if it is true, that is clearly a pretty bomb shield these days despite Ochain's ridiculous block rate.
 Bahamut.Serj
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-07-13 00:14:36  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
I heard that Aegis lets you go past the normal 50% MDT cap, is this true? And if so, what is the new cap? And if it is true, that is clearly a pretty bomb shield these days despite Ochain's ridiculous block rate.

90% MDT, all 40% breaks the cap.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-07-13 00:25:10  
shoot, thats pretty sick actually.. is this only for the 90 Aegis? And why are more people not getting this juicy thing then? lol
 Bahamut.Serj
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-07-13 00:44:38  
Because, ya know, it's a relic. And relic's cost a bit of gil lol. And furthermore on that, it's for pld, who's only real EG use currently is voidwatch. And I'm assuming all the MDT on it breaks the cap by how much MDT is currently on the shield.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-07-13 00:48:09  
Shoot, you can fund relics a lot easier with the dyna changes.. no more 500k hour glasses from what I understand (i'm still on break :( missed a lot in the past long while..coming back soon! hopefully lol)... and only a 1 day lock out means more farmin, which from what I also understand, can be low-man farmed (I think 100s still drop from normal statues/NMs)
 Fenrir.Tessy
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Tessy
By Fenrir.Tessy 2011-07-13 01:37:57  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Shoot, you can fund relics a lot easier with the dyna changes.. no more 500k hour glasses from what I understand (i'm still on break :( missed a lot in the past long while..coming back soon! hopefully lol)... and only a 1 day lock out means more farmin, which from what I also understand, can be low-man farmed (I think 100s still drop from normal statues/NMs)

Almost correct. You still need a 500k glass for Dreamland areas, all the other zones such as Sandy, Bastok, Windurst, jeuno, Beaucedine, Xacarbard you need to go buy 1 one time KI Key item wich cost 50k. Then you can do dynamis each 24hrs, normally this entering time resets after JP midnight if not mistaken.

And yes you can lowman alot of zones, but still bare in mind these can easy wipe an level 90 aswell. It is kinda the same like Abyssea, you need to Proc on mobs inorder to get bigger chanse of drops etc..

Best of luck!
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-07-13 01:45:16  
well ok..but who farms coins in dreamland zones? i never actually got around to doing CoP dyna, even back in the day.. I just did the normal zones and we always got nice currency drops (well on the days that didn't suck royally lol)
 Fenrir.Tessy
user: Tessy
By Fenrir.Tessy 2011-07-13 04:58:12  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
well ok..but who farms coins in dreamland zones? i never actually got around to doing CoP dyna, even back in the day.. I just did the normal zones and we always got nice currency drops (well on the days that didn't suck royally lol)

You still need to do dreamlands Dyna for -1 gear, and to get acsess for Dynamis Tavnazia, so in such case you still need to clear dreamlands areas aswell. But I guess, if players who don't want/need acsess to Tav or want to get -1 gear for upgrade, will never do Dreamlands areas again.

And with the new system, I belive most ppl just spam random zones such as Xac or beaucedine for currency
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-13 06:02:27  
Tav is very fun, and you can get most COP wins with a single party these days. I'd recommend giving it a shot if you have the friends for it.
 Ramuh.Kailana
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2011-07-13 06:04:13  
Cerberus.Vaness said:
Bismarck.Aerison said:
Canadians...
y u no like? :( I am nice and cuddly.

All Canadian ladies are nice and cuddly. Also, PLD is awesome, and I really need to level it more, currently at 83, took a backseat to jobs my ls could find useful in abyssea.

And yes, it was hot as hell. Work made me sit down for a while because I had gone pale and was feeling faint. They did some tests, found my blood sugar level was 2 (think it should be 5 or 6, cant remember which) and I had trouble keeping my eyes open. Then a huge thunderstorm hit and it cooled off outside and I was feeling much better.

The lesson? We belong in igloos.
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2011-07-13 07:20:41  
I did some testing with a friend. The enmity shift during cover is based on how many non-0 actions the monster takes on you. when I had stoneskin and phalanx up, there was 0 enmity shift once cover had worn off. I cancled those buffs, and re-did the test. After cover had worn, I had bled enough hate off that the monster stayed on me. This is after my friend had meleed the monster down to 2% and I had taken no actions on the monster. Also, I believe that intimidating the monster counts as an action. We didn't get any concrete numbers, but eyeballing seemed to put it ~ 5% shift per action taken on the PLD.
 Cerberus.Lightvision
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2011-07-13 20:34:28  
atm with the corrent prices of currency on Cerberus it would cost 200-350 mil for an aegis, it used to cost ~200 mil, thats if you buy all the currency.

since SE's stoopid update there has been slightly less currency about and the price has went up
By Quiznor 2011-07-13 21:12:36  
Canada has all the cute PLD girls :o

Although......I dont do well in the heat....

/conundrumed
 Fenrir.Demomo
user: Skyline
By Fenrir.Demomo 2011-07-19 11:53:01  
Aegis can hit -90% MDT at 75. I left my shield at 75 till the update as before the update, as I could cap out with shell 3. After update I was capable of getting to -90% mdt through a little extra mdb gear to carry me. No difference between 75 and 90 in terms of the MDT cap. Ochain vs Aegis is subjective, however anything capable of casting over tier III ga or the higher level currently unavailable -ja spells Aegis is going to shine by far. It's unfortunate pld only sees use in voidwatch, but it really does shine when you take 10 damage while everyone else takes half their hp bar in damage, including ochain tanks. It takes a very large lack of support to let an aegis die on any voidwatch mob, where as it takes one good nuke to kill most ochain tanks (Hate to generalize, but 90% of the ochains I see, gear swapping has gone out the window). All this being said, either shield can tank any mob successfully, ochain just requires the occasional cure bomb where as aegis will slowly get meleed down while the pld curses out loud in real life "why isnt this ***blocking." Unfortunately all true :<
 Siren.Daddyx
サーバ: Siren
user: Daddyx
By Siren.Daddyx 2011-07-19 12:06:48  
Fenrir.Demomo said:
Aegis can hit -90% MDT at 75. I left my shield at 75 till the update as before the update, as I could cap out with shell 3. After update I was capable of getting to -90% mdt through a little extra mdb gear to carry me. No difference between 75 and 90 in terms of the MDT cap.

How is this possible when Aegis is simply independent of the regular 50% MDT cap? If you're capped (50%, be it from gear or a combination of gear and Shellra V) then you're only going to have what's on your shield in addition to that 50%.. be it an extra 25% from the base shield @ 75 or 5% more per trial up to 40%, giving you a total of 90% only when the shield's ToM'd up to 90.. or am I missing something?
 Fenrir.Demomo
By Fenrir.Demomo 2011-07-19 12:19:02  
Equipping aegis allows you to bypass -50% MDT, regardless of the shields level. You're thinking of how it works incorrectly. In other words if you put on -55% MDT in gear, you really only have -50% MDT. If you equip aegis, that 5% is returned + what is on the shield. Trust me, solo'd jailer of faith a bunch before Aegis buff and after Aegis buff with shield at 75 and 90. The nukes never changed damage in 75 shield mdt set vs 90 shield mdt set. All that happened was I stored my iron ram gear and can now mdt in full af3+2.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-07-19 12:21:08  
Fenrir.Demomo said:
In other words if you put on -55% MDT in gear, you really only have -50% MDT. If you equip aegis, that 5% is returned + what is on the shield.

No it doesn't. Source?
[+]
 Fenrir.Demomo
By Fenrir.Demomo 2011-07-19 12:29:19  
Testing it at 75 with a set that should result in -90% mdt results in the exact same damage taken as 90 shield with a set that should result in -90% mdt. Doesn't really get more clear than that....

Before I did aegis to 90 I did multiple faiths and shoggoths /dnc. Since then I've had to do faith for another torque and more shoggoths for more trials. The nuke damage is identical with both level shields. If you honestly think 75 aegis can only get to -75% mdt, you obviously weren't lazy like me and 90'd it pre-update.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-07-19 12:32:30  
Oh and Darka, wth man... I was expecting you to be on Odin when I returned to the game! Damn you! lol
 Phoenix.Neosutra
サーバ: Phoenix
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-07-20 08:41:48  
Sorry Demono, gonna need some actual tests and more than "I did some older fights on ***that already resists the *** out of nukes and didn't notice a difference".

Until any tests are done, gonna have to say "you're full of ***".
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-20 08:53:16  
Hey guys, kind of random, but Shield Bash calls!

Does this look right for 90 PLD? There's some indication that Bash damage is based on Paladin level (so /PLD bashes for less). It's all kind of stupid, because it gives the same static enmity and stun that it always has, but it would be kind of nice to complete our knowledge of it!
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-07-20 11:08:31  
Couple things Byrth:

1. Stun rate is no where near 100% and duration is about as random as any other stun move in the game.

2. I've only seen tests that Shield type effects damage, but perhaps some shield mastery traits pld has effects the damage as well (if you're seeing different damages when subbing pld).

3. Fenian ring's added damage bonus is random, between 45~75+.

4. Aegis is +200 damage at 75, +10 damage for every shield bash bonus past the first.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-20 11:26:50  
Thanks much! I'm going to try to level sync a Paladin tonight and see how the damage changes. This would be a lot easier if one of my dudes had Paladin leveled, but they don't!
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-07-20 11:53:10  
Well just make sure the shield you use for the test is at or below the level sync level so there isn't some sort of def/size reduction that comes with syncing (I know you're smarter than that... just pointing out because I've seen synced tests like that before).

I think I have some shield mastery stuff laying around (augmented Kaiser head, etc), I can go test if that effects damage at all.