フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » Only For People Who Are Computer Smart
Only For People Who Are Computer Smart
First Page 2
 Leviathan.Kryptik
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: phawk23
By Leviathan.Kryptik 2009-12-16 03:02:49  
Ok lol this is my first time buying a desktop i dont want anything special im most likely going to just play this game on it so I would like someone to check this link out and please tell me will this be alright to play FFXI on http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Inspiron+Desktop+with+AMD+Athlon%26%23153;+X2+5000%2B+Dual-Core+Processor/9250909.p?id=1218068109061&skuId=9250909
 Fairy.Rebo
サーバ: Fairy
user: Rebo
By Fairy.Rebo 2009-12-16 03:17:29  
As a computer technician I can strongly advise to stay away from dells, refurbished parts in so called "new" computers is a major turn off. However for gaming AMD processors, in my experience, are far superior to Intel, there lower clock rates allow fast data processing with much less heat (a system's worse enemy). To answer your question, yes this computer would be fine for playing FFXI, but my advice would be to shop around, for a different brand, online stores included... Also you might want to check local "hole-in-the-wall" computer stores as well, for systems catered to gaming, they are fairly cheaper now, and don't come with all the extra crap clogging your task manager every time you start up. Finally best buy is great, however their prices are extremely high, and if you do decide to buy from there, please dear god don't let geek squad touch your computer... You will get charged 20% of what the computer costs just for them to look at it -.- Hope this helps.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kryptik
By Leviathan.Kryptik 2009-12-16 03:21:01  
Lol the first part of what you said kinda threw me off seeing that I did not know what you said but later on in your paragraph you answered my question in easier words thank you very much and I had no plan on letting the geeks touch my computer.
 Leviathan.Kryptik
By Leviathan.Kryptik 2009-12-16 03:23:11  
Also can you tell me what I would need to buy in order to Take Vids. of me on FFXI like if im soloing something or just wanna have a video of me doing high damage
 Hades.Vanderbilt
サーバ: Hades
user: remington
By Hades.Vanderbilt 2009-12-16 03:27:53  
FRAPS is a good program to use. If you know where to look you can get it for free too.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kryptik
By Leviathan.Kryptik 2009-12-16 03:29:24  
Lol we all have the same title...back on subject what the heck is FRAPS lol
 Fairy.Rebo
By Fairy.Rebo 2009-12-16 03:32:44  
Fraps.com a very well known commonly used software program that is inexpensive, and has very decent quality. Yes you can also get it for free, be careful what you dl from tho, as there are many imitators.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kryptik
By Leviathan.Kryptik 2009-12-16 03:40:45  
Aww lol what should i be downloading it from and also how do you record something
 Bahamut.Dracondria
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-12-16 03:45:56  
Be sure not to leave fraps on too long because the file size is HUGE. A 5 minute video was over 4 gb for me.

Edit: When you record that is (by pressing the button specified when you start it up)
[+]
 Leviathan.Kryptik
By Leviathan.Kryptik 2009-12-16 03:49:30  
Ok lol I just realized you need to have a game on the computer in order for it to work i was trying to record me moving my mouse on the monitor.
 Fairy.Rebo
By Fairy.Rebo 2009-12-16 03:50:56  
p2p or open source software that most ppl use for music primarily, is pretty good, such as limewire, or bearshare. Make sure you run a scan on the software you download tho before you open it so you can make sure its virus free. Also Torrent sites like torrentreactor.net, or supernova or just google search torrents, are acceptable as well. Fraps.com and the download itself comes with complete instructions on how to use the program.
[+]
By phawk23 2009-12-16 03:54:00  
Cool you guys have been a big help I am pretty happy now that I have my mind set on wtf im gonna do
 Midgardsormr.Dominionix
サーバ: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Dominionix 2009-12-16 05:08:14  
As a 3rd line support engineer, some comments I would make about the above... (I should note, the link you provided no longer works, so I am not actually able to check the spec of the machine you were considering)

Firstly, I agree with Rebo on the below:

As a computer technician I can strongly advise to stay away from dells, refurbished parts in so called "new" computers is a major turn off.

This is true, and furthermore Dell tend to be very expensive for what you actually get. Consider it the equivalent of buying designer clothes, 90% of the price is for the label that has been stuck on the front, and nothing to do with what's inside. Their support is known for being pretty poor too, and quality most of the time.

However this I wouldn't agree with:

However for gaming AMD processors, in my experience, are far superior to Intel, there lower clock rates allow fast data processing with much less heat (a system's worse enemy).

This used to be very true, and the lower heat-production combined with better core management allowed for the processors to be over-clocked (tuned up for higher performance), so were preferred by gamers. However in recent years, AMD have really come off the boil so if it it was one of their more modern processors (last year or two), then there will be Intel's that will outperform it in every aspect. The recent release of the I7 processor from Intel is a shining example of this, being in a whole other playing field (performance wise) than AMD's "equivalent".

However, as this is not a top-end computer and to answer your question:

The above is probably not of much concern to you, and you will be able to run FFXI. I should note, however, that my personal PC runs a much higher spec than what I would think you are looking at, and I am not able to make videos of FFXI using FRAPS (I can, but they are so jerky / poor quality, they are of no use). So if you are buying the machine with that as a primary intention, you will have some real difficulty or some very bad quality.

My advice: Consider looking at smaller computer shops, many of whom will build you a custom PC for only slightly above the cost of the parts.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-12-16 06:36:37  
Hades.Vanderbilt said:
FRAPS is a good program to use. If you know where to look you can get it for free too.

FRAPS is good. However, if you want to edit the video (add music ect.) you would need a different program as well. I use Sony Vegas 8.

You can get both those programs, virus free, on The Pirate Bay. (Google it because I'm not sure if linking torrent sites are legal on this site or not.)
 Bahamut.Dracondria
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-12-16 06:49:40  
Anyone know how to get fraps to record sound as well? >_> Mine only gives video.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-12-16 06:51:08  
Bahamut.Dracondria said:
Be sure not to leave fraps on too long because the file size is HUGE. A 5 minute video was over 4 gb for me.

Edit: When you record that is (by pressing the button specified when you start it up)

As far as I remember, the free version of FRAPS only allows you to record 30 second clips. I actually like it that way though, as it makes editing a lot easier for me.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-12-16 06:56:41  
Bahamut.Dracondria said:
Anyone know how to get fraps to record sound as well? >_> Mine only gives video.

The new version of fraps has a "movies" tab that has a checkbox that says "Record Sound" that you have to select. Also, if your audio isn't set properly (i.e if you have it set to record your mic and not your stereo or line volume or whatever the crap its called) then sound won't record.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-12-16 06:59:07  
I use some Realtek HD Audio Manager that I think I downloaded somewhere. I just go to the Mixer Tab and make sure Line Volume and Stereo Mix are unmuted and that Front Mic and Mic Volume are muted. You can also change your audio source with Audacity but its been a while since I've done it.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Isiolia
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Isiolia
By Pandemonium.Isiolia 2009-12-16 08:31:36  
Quote:
This is true, and furthermore Dell tend to be very expensive for what you actually get. Consider it the equivalent of buying designer clothes, 90% of the price is for the label that has been stuck on the front, and nothing to do with what's inside. Their support is known for being pretty poor too, and quality most of the time.

Not really. Maybe it depends on country. Price/performance with Dell depends on what you're actually buying. They certainly aren't the place to try and spec out a midrange/high end gaming rig, but neither are most OEMs. For someone looking for a cheap PC, sticking with (or close to) a base config of one of their lower end machines when it's on sale (and they usually have something on sale) can often get you a machine on the cheap.

Their support is a matter of getting what you pay for. While it's declined a little, it's still better to deal with than most other companies. I deal with them weekly. Quality-wise, they're not class leaders, but they're not the worst by far.

IMO, the main caveat with a Dell, or most any PC at Best Buy, is going to be a relatively anemic power supply. Can make upgrading the video card later a real hassle.

For the OP, if you want to buy a Dell, buy it directly from Dell. Based on the CPU being used, it's a slightly older model that BB is offering, as Dell is no longer offering those in the Inspirons.
Quote:
This used to be very true, and the lower heat-production combined with better core management allowed for the processors to be over-clocked (tuned up for higher performance), so were preferred by gamers. However in recent years, AMD have really come off the boil so if it it was one of their more modern processors (last year or two), then there will be Intel's that will outperform it in every aspect. The recent release of the I7 processor from Intel is a shining example of this, being in a whole other playing field (performance wise) than AMD's "equivalent".

This isn't entirely true either. Focusing exclusively on gaming, AMD's current offerings are still rather strong. In addition, you need to look at price range. For a $200+ CPU, an i5 or i7 is definitely the pick right now. As all-around CPUs, they're easily on top.
However, for lower end - as the OP is looking at - AMD is providing better performance for the money. While the link isn't working for me, he's looking at a machine based around an Athlon X2 5000, a ~$65 CPU.
Quote:
My advice: Consider looking at smaller computer shops, many of whom will build you a custom PC for only slightly above the cost of the parts.

I would partially agree. A couple caveats are that first, he's looking at the cheapest of the cheap. The sort of Dell he linked to is a $250-300 machine, including a legal Windows license. Most PC shops I've seen will tend to use cheap/old parts in that sort of build as well. Not to mention that they tend to be quite a bit above online prices for components in the first place.
Ideally, building a machine (or having a shop build it) with a larger budget would net a better box. But, if the point is to get a $300 machine to play FFXI, then Dell is probably a solid way to go.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-12-16 08:44:33  
we all need that special someone to "partially agree" or disagree with everything we say.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-12-16 08:56:28  
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
we all need that special someone to "partially agree" or disagree with everything we say.

I only somewhat disagree with this statement.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-12-16 11:40:53  
Carbuncle.Sterling said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

I only somewhat disagree with this statement.

what part of it do you "somewhat disagree" with?
 Bahamut.Dracondria
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-12-16 11:50:21  
Carbuncle.Sterling said:
Bahamut.Dracondria said:

The new version of fraps has a "movies" tab that has a checkbox that says "Record Sound" that you have to select. Also, if your audio isn't set properly (i.e if you have it set to record your mic and not your stereo or line volume or whatever the crap its called) then sound won't record.

Mine has the "record sound" box checked but it still doesn't record it and I don't have it set to record my mic etc.
[+]
 Fairy.Rebo
By Fairy.Rebo 2009-12-16 12:20:11  
Carbuncle.Sterling said:
Bahamut.Dracondria said:

As far as I remember, the free version of FRAPS only allows you to record 30 second clips. I actually like it that way though, as it makes editing a lot easier for me.
Carbuncle.Sterling said:
Bahamut.Dracondria said:

Correct the free version of fraps does only allow you to record like 30 seconds of material, my apologies i should have been more specific, I didn't mean the free version, I meant the pirated version in which you can obtain free via a p2p or open source software program/torrent.
[+]
 Fairy.Rebo
By Fairy.Rebo 2009-12-16 12:28:14  
Bottom Line: Intel CPU ~$1000 same benchmark testing AMD CPU (and less heat) ~$300

AMD Dominates Intel for gaming:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2331
[+]
 Leviathan.Kryptik
By Leviathan.Kryptik 2009-12-16 12:54:17  
Wow lol I went to sleep and woke up and looked at this thread to see did I get more answers y'all just went into a convo on stuff I have no idea on.....lol so bottom line would that computer be a good comp to just play Ffxi on and record what I do on ffxi...if so then kool and also I didn't know I could download the whole version via torrent.
 Fairy.Rebo
By Fairy.Rebo 2009-12-16 13:00:17  
that computer will run ffxi fine, recording it however you will experience ALOT of lag, and poor picture quality with the system listed. Answer to this problem: a higher quality computer system better graphics, processor, etc..
[+]
 Leviathan.Kryptik
By Leviathan.Kryptik 2009-12-16 13:03:18  
Well damn lol I will still be able to take SS of treasure pool and damage...and will it be poor
 Pandemonium.Isiolia
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Isiolia
By Pandemonium.Isiolia 2009-12-16 13:58:14  
Leviathan.Kryptik said:
Wow lol I went to sleep and woke up and looked at this thread to see did I get more answers y'all just went into a convo on stuff I have no idea on.....lol so bottom line would that computer be a good comp to just play Ffxi on and record what I do on ffxi...if so then kool and also I didn't know I could download the whole version via torrent.

It will play FFXI. It won't do it especially well. If you are wanting to purchase a desktop PC for the purpose of gaming, then it's not a very good choice. A significant factor for a gaming machine is the graphics card, or GPU. Most lower end machines come with "integrated" graphics, which is to say that they're built into the motherboard. This is a cheaper, more energy efficient solution that will typically be more than fine for business use and basic computing. For the purposes of 3D gaming, it's crippling.

The machine does have a slot that can be used for an add-in 3D card. However, one thing about most decent GPUs is that they suck up a lot of power, so in turn require a larger power supply. Most Dells (or other major OEM machines) don't come with very robust power supplies. They often come with non-standard sized units as well, making upgrading difficult without swapping to another case entirely.

So it's not suited for gaming, and will be hard to upgrade to really be suitable for it. However, it should be able to accomodate a better (but still not great) GPU.

Is there a particular budget you're working with? That machine is at the very low end of the price scale at $215, but if you can manage a little more then you could get a better starting platform. Dell's current Inspiron mini-towers would be a little better at least, and start at $249.
 Lakshmi.Pud
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Pud
By Lakshmi.Pud 2009-12-18 13:29:58  
In terms of upgrading Dells, they tend to be pretty problematic.

The PC is designed to the spec given on the box, and nothing more. If the power supply has the beef to power a graphics card, thats all good, but it may well be that it doesn't have the correct connector, because the PC wasn't planned to have a graphics card in.

Then you are left trying to buy a MOLEX adaptor, to get power to your card.

While everything is nice and neat in the box, they are terrible when you want to fit new stuff in. I was going to install a new HDD in my parents Dell (which they were given), but gave up because the power cable wouldn't reach, and there was only a single SATA slot on the mobo.

For a reasonable throwaway computer which you will never mess around with hardware-wise, they can be an option. For anything else I would save myself the hassle.
First Page 2