users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » Authenticating DNAS
Authenticating DNAS
First Page 2
 Asura.Malekith
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Malekith 2009-12-03 16:26:11  
I'm stumped and pretty really given that prior to today I'd had no problems and yet here it is...

All of my login attempts via PS3 (and NO I don't play on PC because I only have a laptop and FF doesn't play well with it) today have met the same end: "Error Code:POL-1558."

So far I can confirm the following:

1. I have not changed nor tampered with anything since I shutdown last night.

2. I'm not logged on, as far as I know Malekith isn't running around naked otw to the AH to liquidate everything I own. I'm not hacked I'm just not able to log on period because PoL is a PoS.

3. Home network is a cable modem (ISP = Time Warner Cable) hooked into a Netgear wireless G router (model = WGR614). The PS3 itself is connected by ethernet cable directly into the router.

4. My internet is working. I know this because I'm posting here via laptop and I was able to get on the PS3's web browser and surf. I also downloaded/installed the lastest firmware upgrade. After completing that task, I did a network test and everything came back fine.

5. Under PoL's Network Config: DNS and IP settings are set to acquire automatically, and MTU is set to normal, host name generated automatically, no idividual router settings, and no proxy.

So ya... I'm stumped... /sigh
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-03 16:30:15  
Turn off the router for a few minutes and then turn it back on? You'd be surprised how many problems this solves.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2009-12-03 16:37:43  
Raen's right;

Took this from this source > http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps2na&message.id=70348

Turns out my ISP (as well a most others I think) only allow one MAC address to connect to the modem. The modem recognizes the MAC address of the first device you connect it too (in my case, this was my PC when my ISP installed everything), and locks the address. So if you unplug your PC from the modem, and connect your PS2 (or any other device) to it, you won't be able to connect since your PC's MAC address is locked in the modem, and it doesn't recognize your PS2's MAC. So unplug the modem for about 3-4 minutes, connect your PS2 to it, and plug it back in. The point of unplugging the modem is to release the MAC lock. The modem will now lock the MAC of the next device you connect it to (your PS2), and you should be able to connect. From here, I just left all settings on automatic (for dynamic IP addresses), and it worked!

Maybe it'll work for you, looks like PS2 forum though
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-12-03 16:41:47  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Turn off the router for a few minutes and then turn it back on? You'd be surprised how many problems this solves.
Thought to do this immediately at first sign of trouble. Been there done that... I'm still unable to connect in.

I suppose I should mention at this point. If I'm not getting the aforementioned Error Code:POL-1558. I get Error Code:POL-1556 (Network Error -598).

I get one or the other, mostly the 1558 message.

This has been ongoing since around 2PM EST. I've accepted that something seriously *** up is going on and have moved on to doing other things around the house. I figured it would clear up on its own after a few hours but now here I am trying to get online again and I'm dealing with the same crap I first experienced earlier today.

/sigh
 Sylph.Cratond
サーバ: Sylph
user: Cratond
By Sylph.Cratond 2009-12-03 17:15:01  
I am having same exact problem on ps3 atm
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-12-03 20:10:25  
I can verify that my connection problems aren't the result of corrupted data because I did a check and all files were fine.

After multiple router/modem resets I dediced to employ the nuclear option. I deleted the ffxi data from my PS3 and proceeded to do a clean reinstall. Figure what the hell do I have to lose besides time... well that didn't work either.

I still needed to do a DNAS and fail... srsly this has been a really shitty day...

Fairy.Kandu
サーバ: Fairy
user: Kandu
By Fairy.Kandu 2009-12-03 20:17:45  
Malekith,

I, too, am having this same problem: Error Code: POL-1556(Network Error -598).

I'm connecting in southern NH and wondering if it is an issue with my ISP.

I am on a PS2.

Kandu
 Hades.Hatekhaos
サーバ: Hades
user: hatekhaos
By Hades.Hatekhaos 2009-12-03 20:20:59  
What ISP do you guys have?
 Fairy.Kandu
By Fairy.Kandu 2009-12-03 20:24:44  
I am Comcast.

Reading the posts on Allakhazam doesn't offer more than speculation:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=12598850158508820&num=12&page=1

But if I'm on the internet with my laptop posting this, which is connected to the same modem the PS2 is, how can it be ISP related...

Shiva.Dwyte
サーバ: Shiva
user: dwyte
By Shiva.Dwyte 2009-12-03 20:27:28  
ps2/3 servers are down! woo xbox and pc! but really ive had same thing happen to me when i was on xbox before, then next day it would be fine, so not really sure whats up =/
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-12-03 20:30:50  
Near as I can tell all signs point to a server on their end not being turned on... I don't think anything is wrong with our respective broadband connections... whatever signal is being sent out by our consoles out into the cloud is just not being received.
 Fairy.Kandu
By Fairy.Kandu 2009-12-03 20:50:31  
No luck so far.
 Cerberus.Zbramyr
サーバ: Cerberus
user: zbramyr
By Cerberus.Zbramyr 2009-12-03 21:20:27  
I know when this happens when i log my mule account onto my ps2/3 i get the same problems sometimes. I have found that if i log out my ISP and resign back in i'm able to log in on my ps2/3 although it may take 2-3 times doing it, not sure if thats your case but it works for me
 Fairy.Kandu
By Fairy.Kandu 2009-12-03 21:28:19  
Well, as Malekith said, "1. I have not changed nor tampered with anything since I shutdown last night."

I will chalk it up to bad service; I'll simply be patient, nonetheless frustrated, and try again later.
 Fenrir.Fizzycandy
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Fizzycandy 2009-12-03 21:29:59  
Whenever that happens to me on my PS3 I run the Connection Test(to the far right of XMB at the bottom under Network Settings I think) and it works.. I have no idea why but it does XD
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-12-04 10:20:26  
New day and different result I hope? Anyone out there having better luck today?
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2009-12-04 10:49:57  
Could this have anything to do with your problem? Specifically the bit near the bottom which says: "Log into PlayOnline with a Square Enix Account"

Dec. 4, 2009 09:15 [GMT] From: PlayOnline

Square Enix Account Management System Difficulties (Dec. 4)

Currently, we are experiencing technical difficulties with Square Enix Account Management System. The issue is currently being addressed. New updates will follow as additional information becomes available.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

[Date & Time]
Dec. 4, 2009 from 07:34 (GMT)

[Details]
The following services may be unavailable:
- Register or unsubscribe PlayOnline accounts
- Review, purchase, cancel, or reactivate Content IDs
- Review or update member information
- Purchase expansion pack registration code
- Apply for World Transfer Service
- Register Reward Codes
- Purchase Square Enix Security Token
- Purchase Add-on Scenario
- PlayOnline Membership Information on official website
- Character Reactivation Service on official website
- Square Enix Account Management System
- FINAL FANTASY XI Linkshell Community Beta Version
- Friend List Plus on official website
- Community Site's Owner Menu on official website

[Cause]
Under investigation

[Affected Services]
PlayOnline
 Alexander.Neph
サーバ: Alexander
user: Neph
By Alexander.Neph 2009-12-04 11:06:51  
Yay for always staying logged on even when I'm not home. \(^_^)/
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-12-04 11:12:28  
@Shayala: Nope... As the JP would say, "this is this and that is that..."

What you're drawing attention to is a whole different kettle of fish. What's more my problem with DNAS started yesterday 12/3/09 at/around 2PM EST which was when I first tried to login and predates the announcement you shared.

Moreover IF the issue truly was a matter of the SE Account management system being down I'd still find no comfort.

Reason? I took the extreme step of deleting my install of FFXI from the PS3 with the thought of re-installing. That done, I'm now unable go forward because this requires that I authenticate my copy of FFXI via DNAS.

It's like a sad joke... I'm still screwed. And at this stage of the game the authentication process does not require any info about my SE account... It's just trying to connect my PS3 to the internet, to the DNAS server so it can authenticate...

It just reinforces my belief that the server on their end is down, broken or there's interference in the cloud someplace...
 Diabolos.Neokaingel
サーバ: Diabolos
user: GRX3000
By Diabolos.Neokaingel 2009-12-04 11:23:24  
Here's some information on the DNAS itself - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNAS

The first and most common possibility is one you already crossed out by resetting your router/modem (power-shuffling).

And since you cannot receive a DNAS error on any console system, as it is a PS2/PS3-only error (maybe PSP? I don't know), it should have nothing to do with Square-Enix (or your ISP for that matter). So yes, something is wrong with Sony's authentication servers, I'm 99% sure.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-12-04 11:40:33  
I just have to say that I love SCEA's declaration of uncustomer service...

SCEI, Sony Computer Entertainment America (“SCEA”) and their affiliates cannot guarantee the continuous operation of the “DNAS” servers. SCEA shall not be liable for any delay or failure of the “DNAS” servers to perform.

SOURCE

Atleast I'm provided with a number to yell at people... I suggest others do the same...

If you receive a message during login identifying a “DNAS” authentication error, please contact SCEA Consumer Services at 1-866-466-5333

SOURCE
By Nazgrel 2009-12-04 11:59:55  
Been having the same problem since about 7pm EST last night(12/3). Cable modem through Time Warner in NYC, not sure if that is relevant as I am pretty sure it is on Sony's side. Just tried it again and still no luck :/
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-12-04 12:00:43  
Just got off the phone with a Darren and omg they are aware that there is a problem!

What's more I was advised to do the following:

1. Try getting online with an ISP that is NOT Time Warner or Comcast - This is a physical impossibility for me and a non-starter.

2. Try calling my ISP - I'm online, and all they did was zap my modem to reset it. I'm still online. I was then directed to contact Customer Service for the Game and for my Console.

3. Try talking to Square Enix - I logged on via laptop and proceeded to initiate a GM call. The GM promptly told me that the servers are working normally, which is obvious since I was online talking said GM. Upon explaining my problem I was advised to contact Sony since DNAS is an abomination they created and set loose upon the world.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-12-04 12:07:11  
Nazgrel said:
Been having the same problem since about 7pm EST last night(12/3). Cable modem through Time Warner in NYC, not sure if that is relevant as I am pretty sure it is on Sony's side. Just tried it again and still no luck :/
Dude it's wholly relevant since we're connected the same exact way. I'm NYC also and I'm a fellow TWC subscriber.

As near as I can tell, it's a total hardware issue that Sony has to fix. We've done nothing wrong. Same time, I direct your attention below...

SCEA said:
SCEI, Sony Computer Entertainment America (“SCEA”) and their affiliates cannot guarantee the continuous operation of the “DNAS” servers. SCEA shall not be liable for any delay or failure of the “DNAS” servers to perform.

SOURCE
 Pandemonium.Naten
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Naten
By Pandemonium.Naten 2009-12-04 12:29:23  
I got knocked off around 11:30 EST i play on PS2, i cant get past"Checking pol viewer version" anyone else got this problem?
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-12-04 12:46:45  
Pandemonium.Naten said:
I got knocked off around 11:30 EST i play on PS2, i cant get past"Checking pol viewer version" anyone else got this problem?
Dude it's what this whole thread is about... I've been offline for 24hrs and it's pissing me off since the *** already have my money for the month and here I am unable to use what I paid for...
 Pandemonium.Aravol
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-12-04 13:20:56  
This is interesting. I am on a Ps2 in Texas and havent had any problems yet. I am on as we speak.
 Odin.Stardeath
サーバ: Odin
user: Stardeath
By Odin.Stardeath 2009-12-04 15:22:25  
I currently have this issue also.. glad to know that someone is aware of it but it's still frustrating as hell >.> I'm crossing my fingers that it's fixed by the time I get off work, but I won't hold my breath.

In New York, with Time Warner...(bites tongue).
 Bismarck.Peachies
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Peachies
By Bismarck.Peachies 2009-12-04 20:33:53  
I too have this problem with the DNAS error code >.< I've called Sony and Michael says to be patient and to try again tomorrow. its been since yesterday morning I can't get on. I finally get sick to stay home and play and this happens. I too have TW and live in the city, who do I give my famous cakes to? I want to poison someone! >.<
First Page 2