フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » BLM Sortie do's/donts
BLM Sortie do's/donts
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-01-13 11:03:17  
Ranoutofspace said: »
If you close with a helix (and you always should be, in a low damage set) then it's pretty easy to squeeze in 3.
I often forget that closing SC with helix grants a longer SC window.
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-13 11:29:15  
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Bahamut.Xeones said: »
3 casts per MB window
I didnt know this was possible?

Depends on what nukes your doing. Start the Tier VI before the SCH is done making so that it lands right as the window opens, roll into the -Ja and you could squeeze a III or maybe a IV before the window closes. On SCH and GEO I could triple burst by doing IV -> V -> IV.
[+]
 Bahamut.Xeones
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Xeones
By Bahamut.Xeones 2024-01-13 21:03:19  
Thank you!

Using this now, and makes it SO much easier

i dont see the command for AM II though?

anyone see that?

https://github.com/Windower/Lua/blob/live/addons/EasyNuke/readme.md?plain=1
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2024-01-14 00:12:46  
If your scholar's are putting their casts in party macro like most do (and should), then that makes it really easy to time your nukes. I always prefer to go off the chat log for nuke timing. I've seen and tried the skillchain and nuke addons but honestly when you've done it enough it's easy to just feel out the window. And yes, with the helix window extension it's possible to fit three magic bursts into a single window.

The timing requires you to begin your first cast before the closing skillchain. Usually if you start casting right around the moment you see the book animation finish and they start the cast to close the skillchain you'll hit the very opening of the skillchain window. As long as you time your casts right it should be pretty easy to go Tier 6 --> Tier 5 --> tier 3. It can be hard to fit a longer cast for the third nuke if you're getting lag or if you don't time it just right, but with perfect timing it's possible to fit in even the longer casts. In the screenshot above I landed a triple burst Aja --> Tier 6 --> tier 5. So it can be done. Just work on the timing and learn to feel it out using the guidelines saevel and I just provided. When you know how to feel it out it's just like making skillchains. It's really not that hard to do with some practice.
By Findogast 2024-01-14 08:09:16  
Im not a blm but I've been working on getting my sch setup better for nuking situations instead of just healing.
With that said how exactly do you guys deal with quick cast procs when precasting before the skillchain? Do you just not use any quickcast gear on blm? Or just take the occasional hit when it procs and you cast too early to magic burst?
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2024-01-14 10:10:59  
I don’t use quick magic in my precast for that reason. It’s not that important a stat to have for blm. It could be useful for enfeebles, but if you’re casting sleepga or breakga on a bunch of mobs you’ll probably get resisted on a few of them since the cast goes off in your precast gear instead of your enfeeble set, so you’d probably just have to recast it again anyway. Quick magic is more useful for curing and buffing than it is for offensive casting. I find it easier to just run with capped fast cast and be done with it.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-14 12:28:12  
Different SCH's have different timings for Opening SC -> Closing SC, you just gotta get used to that particular SCH's style. What I've found best is that you start casting when you see their hands go up on the closing portion. That is them using Immanence and most will start casting the helix 1s after using it.
By jubes 2024-01-14 12:49:04  
Asura.Melliny said: »
I don’t use quick magic in my precast for that reason. It’s not that important a stat to have for blm. It could be useful for enfeebles, but if you’re casting sleepga or breakga on a bunch of mobs you’ll probably get resisted on a few of them since the cast goes off in your precast gear instead of your enfeeble set, so you’d probably just have to recast it again anyway. Quick magic is more useful for curing and buffing than it is for offensive casting. I find it easier to just run with capped fast cast and be done with it.

this doesn't happen with gearswap, the precast and midcast are sent in the same packet.
By Felgarr 2024-01-14 13:14:08  
If your scholar's are putting their casts in party macro like most do (and should), then that makes it really easy to time your nukes. I always prefer to go off the chat log for nuke timing. I've seen and tried the skillchain and nuke addons but honestly when you've done it enough it's easy to just feel out the window. And yes, with the helix window extension it's possible to fit three magic bursts into a single window.

The timing requires you to begin your first cast before the closing skillchain. Usually if you start casting right around the moment you see the book animation finish and they start the cast to close the skillchain you'll hit the very opening of the skillchain window. As long as you time your casts right it should be pretty easy to go Tier 6 --> Tier 5 --> tier 3. It can be hard to fit a longer cast for the third nuke if you're getting lag or if you don't time it just right, but with perfect timing it's possible to fit in even the longer casts. In the screenshot above I landed a triple burst Aja --> Tier 6 --> tier 5. So it can be done. Just work on the timing and learn to feel it out using the guidelines saevel and I just provided. When you know how to feel it out it's just like making skillchains. It's really not that hard to do with some practice.

I also wanted to mention that if your skillchain window is open, and your DD executed a weaponskill to continue the chain, they can close the skillchain window prematurely if they do it too quickly. It's best to wait 3 seconds, though skillchain windows can last 3-10 seconds and diminish with each successive skillchain.

jubes said: »

this doesn't happen with gearswap, the precast and midcast are sent in the same packet.

+1. This used to be a long standing bug in Gearswap many years ago, but allegedly has been fixed. With Ashita's LegacyAC and LuaAshitacast, QuickMagic is not an issue.
By Shichishito 2024-01-14 15:51:31  
Felgarr said: »
I also wanted to mention that if your skillchain window is open, and your DD executed a weaponskill to continue the chain, they can close the skillchain window prematurely if they do it too quickly. It's best to wait 3 seconds, though skillchain windows can last 3-10 seconds and diminish with each successive skillchain.
Isn't the skillchain window immediately open after closing a chain? If that's how it works wouldn't it be ideal to setup a chain where the element cast can burst every step of the chain, for instance liquefaction->fusion->light->double light with fire burst?
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2024-01-14 16:37:19  
How many -ja spells are black mage using in that 110 second window? Are they casting it even if there is no skillchain window? Are they trying to reach 25% cap with every window?
 Asura.Volteczero
By Asura.Volteczero 2024-01-14 17:58:33  
I usually can fit in at least 2 -ja a fight (1 non-MB, 1 MB) if it dies within 1 SC. My rotation usually goes non-MB ja on pull, precast T6 > -ja > T5 > T3 that way I can fit 4 MBs if it's a helix closer. T6 is timed to it lands just split seconds after the MB window open so it basically counts as an instant cast.

T3 at the end just to make it fit the MB window, tried 6>-ja>5>4 and was never able to make it. If you play with the same SCH overtime you can just get a feel for it. As someone already stated before, I don't use quick magic for these as it would disrupt the timing.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [39 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tomasello
By Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello 2024-02-22 18:05:22  
Cast Burn... it will land on almost everything.

By Felgarr 2024-02-23 00:04:36  
Shichishito said: »
Felgarr said: »
Isn't the skillchain window immediately open after closing a chain? If that's how it works wouldn't it be ideal to setup a chain where the element cast can burst every step of the chain, for instance liquefaction->fusion->light->double light with fire burst?

Yes, that's how it works. I was just commmenting to make DDs aware that they can continue the SC, but if done too quickly, they can unknowingly make the current MB window shorter.