フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » AGW Theory - Discussion
AGW Theory - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 39 40 41
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-01 16:33:53  
Are you under the impression that grant money comes out of ATMs or something?

The most obnoxious thing about these statements aren't that they're blatantly wrong. No, it's that people fully believe they know what the hell they're talking about when statements like that really sound the alarm they most certainly do not.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-01 16:34:59  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

The most obnoxious thing about these statements aren't that they're blatantly wrong. No, it's that people fully believe they know what the hell they're talking about when statements like that really sound the alarm they most certainly do not.
That's a joke right?

Do you know how big the pro AGW industry is?

Billions bruh! Tax payer money at that! Just think of how much oil we could have bled out of mother earth with that cash.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-10-01 16:36:14  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bismarck.Ihina said: »

Last I checked, I stated that only a few (meaning less than 100% of the total population of a specific group, but greater than 0%) of climate scientists (meaning, not paleontologists, not psychiatrists, not drug scientists, not anyone outside the group of "climate scientists") are possibly engaged in fraud because it's so *** easy to get grant money for being a "scientist."

97%

Not a few.

You're really not going to escape that number, no matter how much you try.

Xilk said: »
Again, you are taking me out of context and misunderstanding/misrepresenting me.

And you sir, aren't going to escape the fact that you believe in magic powers.
Actually, you are taking people out of context. Unless you really mean that 97% of climate scientists are out to defraud the government. Because, you just basically said that. Read what you quoted me and your 97% comment.

You need to explain why 97% of climate scientist are pro-AGW when you claim it's only a 'few' are engaging in fraud.

What about the rest of the climatologist who supposedly aren't engaging in fraud that are pro-AGW.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-01 16:38:20  

Last I checked, I stated that only a few (meaning less than 100% of the total population of a specific group, but greater than 0%) of climate scientists (meaning, not paleontologists, not psychiatrists, not drug scientists, not anyone outside the group of "climate scientists") are possibly engaged in fraud because it's so *** easy to get grant money for being a "scientist."

97%

Not a few.

You're really not going to escape that number, no matter how much you try.

Again, you are taking me out of context and misunderstanding/misrepresenting me.

And you sir, aren't going to escape the fact that you believe in magic powers.
Actually, you are taking people out of context. Unless you really mean that 97% of climate scientists are out to defraud the government. Because, you just basically said that. Read what you quoted me and your 97% comment.

You need to explain why 97% of climate scientist are pro-AGW when you claim it's only a 'few' are engaging in fraud.

What about the rest of the climatologist who supposedly aren't engaging in fraud that are pro-AGW.
Maybe because I don't think that they are all fraudsters?

I'm hoping that only a handful are doing it, I could be wrong and it could be dozens. But fraud is happening, that much is certain.
By Aeyela 2015-10-01 16:40:23  
But fraud is happening, that much is certain.

I know I'm going to be shunned for daring to ask this, but do you have any source for that? It's too easy to throw statements like this out because they sound good. Some actual factual evidence would be a really nice change.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-10-01 16:42:00  
Maybe because I don't think that they are all fraudsters?

I'm hoping that only a handful are doing it, I could be wrong and it could be dozens. But fraud is happening, that much is certain.

You didn't answer the question.

Why are the vast majority of climate scientist who aren't participating in fraud also pro-AGW.
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-10-01 16:42:23  
Okay, are people seriously claiming that grant money is easy to get

I don't know where you got that information, but you done been lied to. Grant money - government or non-profit - is obnoxious as ***to get. The only "easy" money in science is private money, and that's pretty much ALL 1) pharmaceutical and 2) cancer and/or *** related.

Spend like ten minutes with a scientist and ask them about writing grant proposals, see how many shades of purple they turn. The wife was passed around departments at her institution for a while because she was so good at writing grant proposals, and it was literally more valuable to them than any research she could have possibly been doing (she works in public health, which we as a nation devalue anyway, so that doesn't help).

So stop throwing out *** about how pro-AGW is all you need to get a blank check. It's not even remotely grounded in fact, and just exposes real ignorance as to how research actually gets funded.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-01 16:42:34  
Aeyela said: »
But fraud is happening, that much is certain.

I know I'm going to be shunned for daring to ask this, but do you have any source for that? It's too easy to throw statements like this out because they sound good. Some actual factual evidence would be a really nice change.
Something I read a while back

Although I don't think the amount is actually correct, fraud itself is hard to quantify without all the facts.

There's this too
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-10-01 16:43:59  
Your forgetting the most important part:

Tell the money givers what they want to hear.
That is just what thr Republicans are doing.
By Aeyela 2015-10-01 16:44:34  

Although I don't think the amount is actually correct, fraud itself is hard to quantify without all the facts.

Unfortunately I got to paragraph four and stopped.

Quote:
This document, you soon find out, contains damning evidence that a network of politicians, corporations, and scientists have conspired together to promote the fear of “global warming” . . . despite evidence clearly stating no such “global warming” exists.

I'm not going to read something that 'proves' your wild and baseless figures that quite clearly coincides with your agenda. I asked for proof, not propaganda. There's so much evidence that it does exist that I can't take this or anything with that kind of sentence seriously.

Edit for your second link: As a British citizen, let me strongly encourage you to never link to the Telegraph or the Daily Mail for "proof".
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-01 16:44:48  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

That's a joke right?

Billions bruh!
Not nearly as big as competitive interests yet substantiated evidence against AGW is paltry. Go figure.
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-01 16:45:56  
Drama Torama said: »

people will claim, with varying degrees of seriousness, just about anything you can think of in this dark sub-section of the forum. It's really its charm. like watching a bus crash or the like.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-10-01 16:52:12  
So stop throwing out *** about how pro-AGW is all you need to get a blank check. It's not even remotely grounded in fact, and just exposes real ignorance as to how research actually gets funded.
But it is grounded in solid fact that many of the 3% of scientists who are solidly in the anti AGW camp are richly rewarded by fossil energy interests.

Deeper Ties to Corporate Cash for Doubtful Climate Researcher
The New York Times.

So all you deniers can disregard it.

Quote:
For years, politicians wanting to block legislation on climate change have bolstered their arguments by pointing to the work of a handful of scientists who claim that greenhouse gases pose little risk to humanity.

One of the names they invoke most often is Wei-Hock Soon, known as Willie, a scientist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics who claims that variations in the sun’s energy can largely explain recent global warming. He has often appeared on conservative news programs, testified before Congress and in state capitals, and starred at conferences of people who deny the risks of global warming.

But newly released documents show the extent to which Dr. Soon’s work has been tied to funding he received from corporate interests.

He has accepted more than $1.2 million in money from the fossil-fuel industry over the last decade while failing to disclose that conflict of interest in most of his scientific papers. At least 11 papers he has published since 2008 omitted such a disclosure, and in at least eight of those cases, he appears to have violated ethical guidelines of the journals that published his work.

The documents show that Dr. Soon, in correspondence with his corporate funders, described many of his scientific papers as “deliverables” that he completed in exchange for their money. He used the same term to describe testimony he prepared for Congress.

Though Dr. Soon did not respond to questions about the documents, he has long stated that his corporate funding has not influenced his scientific findings.

The documents were obtained by Greenpeace, the environmental group, under the Freedom of Information Act. Greenpeace and an allied group, the Climate Investigations Center, shared them with several news organizations last week.

The documents shed light on the role of scientists like Dr. Soon in fostering public debate over whether human activity is causing global warming. The vast majority of experts have concluded that it is and that greenhouse emissions pose long-term risks to civilization.

Historians and sociologists of science say that since the tobacco wars of the 1960s, corporations trying to block legislation that hurts their interests have employed a strategy of creating the appearance of scientific doubt, usually with the help of ostensibly independent researchers who accept industry funding.

Fossil-fuel interests have followed this approach for years, but the mechanics of their activities remained largely hidden.

“The whole doubt-mongering strategy relies on creating the impression of scientific debate,” said Naomi Oreskes, a historian of science at Harvard University and the co-author of “Merchants of Doubt,” a book about such campaigns. “Willie Soon is playing a role in a certain kind of political theater.”

Environmentalists have long questioned Dr. Soon’s work, and his acceptance of funding from the fossil-fuel industry was previously known. But the full extent of the links was not; the documents show that corporate contributions were tied to specific papers and were not disclosed, as required by modern standards of publishing.

“What it shows is the continuation of a long-term campaign by specific fossil-fuel companies and interests to undermine the scientific consensus on climate change,” said Kert Davies, executive director of the Climate Investigations Center, a group funded by foundations seeking to limit the risks of climate change.

Charles R. Alcock, director of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center, acknowledged on Friday that Dr. Soon had violated the disclosure standards of some journals.

“I think that’s inappropriate behavior,” Dr. Alcock said. “This frankly becomes a personnel matter, which we have to handle with Dr. Soon internally.”

Dr. Soon is employed by the Smithsonian Institution, which jointly sponsors the astrophysics center with Harvard.

“I am aware of the situation with Willie Soon, and I’m very concerned about it,” W. John Kress, interim under secretary for science at the Smithsonian in Washington, said on Friday. “We are checking into this ourselves.”

Dr. Soon rarely grants interviews to reporters, and he did not respond to multiple emails and phone calls last week; nor did he respond to an interview request conveyed to him by his employer. In past public appearances, he has reacted angrily to questions about his funding sources, but then acknowledged some corporate ties and said that they had not altered his scientific findings.

“I write proposals; I let them decide whether to fund me or not,” he said at an event in Madison, Wis., in 2013. “If they choose to fund me, I’m happy to receive it.” A moment later, he added, “I would never be motivated by money for anything.”

The newly disclosed documents, plus additional documents compiled by Greenpeace over the last four years, show that at least $409,000 of Dr. Soon’s funding in the past decade came from Southern Company Services, a subsidiary of the Southern Company, based in Atlanta.

Southern is one of the largest utility holding companies in the country, with huge investments in coal-burning power plants. The company has spent heavily over many years to lobby against greenhouse-gas regulations in Washington. More recently, it has spent significant money to research ways to limit emissions.

“Southern Company funds a broad range of research on a number of topics that have potentially significant public-policy implications for our business,” said Jeannice M. Hall, a spokeswoman. The company declined to answer detailed questions about its funding of Dr. Soon’s research.

Dr. Soon also received at least $230,000 from the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation. (Mr. Koch’s fortune derives partly from oil refining.) However, other companies and industry groups that once supported Dr. Soon, including Exxon Mobil and the American Petroleum Institute, appear to have eliminated their grants to him in recent years.

As the oil-industry contributions fell, Dr. Soon started receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars through DonorsTrust, an organization based in Alexandria, Va., that accepts money from donors who wish to remain anonymous, then funnels it to various conservative causes.

The Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, in Cambridge, Mass., is a joint venture between Harvard and the Smithsonian Institution, housing some 300 scientists from both institutions. Because the Smithsonian is a government agency, Greenpeace was able to request that Dr. Soon’s correspondence and grant agreements be released under the Freedom of Information Act.

Though often described on conservative news programs as a “Harvard astrophysicist,” Dr. Soon is not an astrophysicist and has never been employed by Harvard. He is a part-time employee of the Smithsonian Institution with a doctoral degree in aerospace engineering. He has received little federal research money over the past decade and is thus responsible for bringing in his own funds, including his salary.

Though he has little formal training in climatology, Dr. Soon has for years published papers trying to show that variations in the sun’s energy can explain most recent global warming. His thesis is that human activity has played a relatively small role in causing climate change.

Many experts in the field say that Dr. Soon uses out-of-date data, publishes spurious correlations between solar output and climate indicators, and does not take account of the evidence implicating emissions from human behavior in climate change.

Gavin A. Schmidt, head of the Goddard Institute for Space Studies in Manhattan, a NASA division that studies climate change, said that the sun had probably accounted for no more than 10 percent of recent global warming and that greenhouse gases produced by human activity explained most of it.

“The science that Willie Soon does is almost pointless,” Dr. Schmidt said.

The Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, whose scientists focus largely on understanding distant stars and galaxies, routinely distances itself from Dr. Soon’s findings. The Smithsonian has also published a statement accepting the scientific consensus on climate change.

Dr. Alcock said that, aside from the disclosure issue, he thought it was important to protect Dr. Soon’s academic freedom, even if most of his colleagues disagreed with his findings.

Dr. Soon has found a warm welcome among politicians in Washington and state capitals who try to block climate action. United States Senator James M. Inhofe, an Oklahoma Republican who claims that climate change is a global scientific hoax, has repeatedly cited Dr. Soon’s work over the years.

In a Senate debate last month, Mr. Inhofe pointed to a poster with photos of scientists questioning the climate-change consensus, including Dr. Soon. “These are scientists that cannot be challenged,” the senator said. A spokeswoman for the senator said Friday that he was traveling and could not be reached for comment.

As of late last week, most of the journals in which Dr. Soon’s work had appeared were not aware of the newly disclosed documents. The Climate Investigations Center is planning to notify them over the coming week. Several journals advised of the situation by The New York Times said they would look into the matter.

Robert J. Strangeway, the editor of a journal that published three of Dr. Soon’s papers, said that editors relied on authors to be candid about any conflicts of interest. “We assume that when people put stuff in a paper, or anywhere else, they’re basically being honest,” said Dr. Strangeway, editor of the Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics.

Dr. Oreskes, the Harvard science historian, said that academic institutions and scientific journals had been too lax in recent decades in ferreting out dubious research created to serve a corporate agenda.

“I think universities desperately need to look more closely at this issue,” Dr. Oreskes said. She added that Dr. Soon’s papers omitting disclosure of his corporate funding should be retracted by the journals that published them.
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
サーバ: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2015-10-01 16:58:53  

I don't know where you got that information, but you done been lied to. Grant money - government or non-profit - is obnoxious as ***to get. The only "easy" money in science is private money, and that's pretty much ALL 1) pharmaceutical and 2) cancer and/or *** related.

Spend like ten minutes with a scientist and ask them about writing grant proposals, see how many shades of purple they turn. The wife was passed around departments at her institution for a while because she was so good at writing grant proposals, and it was literally more valuable to them than any research she could have possibly been doing (she works in public health, which we as a nation devalue anyway, so that doesn't help).

Don't you know? Grant money is so easy to get-- just like it's easy to get welfare, unemployment insurance, scholarships or anything involving money. Why, here in Tralala Land you need simply to push a button that sucks all the money away from the hard-working, talented and vastly superior Übermensch-- turning them into poor folks!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-01 17:04:15  

The point isn't that it's easy to get government money, but that it's EASIER to get it when you tie it to the party ideology (global warming is badz).
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-01 17:05:27  

That's a joke right?

Billions bruh!
Not nearly as big as competitive interests yet substantiated evidence against AGW is paltry. Go figure.

Fantasy.
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-10-01 17:06:37  
The point isn't that it's easy to get government money, but that it's EASIER to get it when you tie it to the party ideology (global warming is badz).

On what basis do you make that claim?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-01 17:08:34  

There's this too
First link gave me brain cancer.

As for the second, again (and this was discussed, fruitlessly, in this thread already) data adjustments are necessary with long term records because you eventually have to account for changes to the monitoring stations that may bias the data. The article is claiming that this cherry-picked "discrepancy" means something while ignoring the actual methodology.

Here's an excellent breakdown of why this is generally necessary: Understanding adjustments to temperature data (an odd source considering the blog belongs to a noted anti-AGW scientist)
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-01 17:10:56  
Fantasy.
...../ )
.....' /
---' (_____
......... ((__)
..... _ ((___)
....... -'((__)
--.___((_)

Cool argument. Now whar evidence. WHAR?!
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-10-01 18:09:56  
@Drama Torama

Time for you to come clean.

Tell us, how much is the climate industrial complex paying you to say that. Does their reach have no end?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-01 18:21:02  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
ck of theism.

False. it is a committed belief there is not God. How many choices and beliefs grow from that one central one?

What does it mean for the state of morality? The value of Human Life?

It is a system.
Except she is most certainly correct while you are most certainly wrong on every aspect.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-01 18:50:50  
Jetackuu said: »
ck of theism.

False. it is a committed belief there is not God. How many choices and beliefs grow from that one central one?

What does it mean for the state of morality? The value of Human Life?

It is a system.
Except she is most certainly correct while you are most certainly wrong on every aspect.

Eh, I think we're stuck on the difference between gnostic and agnostic atheism again.
[+]
By Artemicion 2015-10-01 19:40:33  
YouTube Video Placeholder

Worth watching.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-01 22:04:22  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
again.
Na, it went past that a few years ago, didn't you get the memo? Damn!
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-02 10:43:19  
Actually yesterday Chanti raised a good question that went unnoticed it seems(and it relates to what Ihina was trying to say too).

This whole "agw is a scam!!" does not exist in Italy, a country that go figure is not balls deep into the oil industry. It's not even a topic of debate ever.

And for the few here who aren't "skeptics" but actually believe it's all a scam(inb4 backpedaling), think about how many people in the world should be into this whole evil plot from natural science students to geophysicists and all other scientific fields in between(there is no consensus like about everything, but it's damn near close to it), other than governments and companies(the only ones who'd have a real interest). It's the same thing I told Lordgrim about the vaccines debacle. So yes, this is most definetely a conspiracy theory by all accounts.
Is it possible? Sure! All conspiracy theories as wild as they can be could have some truth to them, but it sure is not likely.
[+]
By charlo999 2015-10-02 11:14:15  
vaccines debacle

Hope your happy with yourself. You've just literally killed people. When will it end.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-02 12:05:27  
charlo999 said: »
vaccines debacle

Hope your happy with yourself. You've just literally killed people. When will it end.
I'm saving them actually. You're welcome. *smiles*
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-02 13:15:00  

I want a grant to study agw!

<insert genie bottle poof here>

[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-02 13:20:24  

more please
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 39 40 41