user: subakyo
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2011-06-07 12:41:16  
no one likes my curaja idea? ; ;
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-06-07 12:41:48  
Phoenix.Deboro said:
Neo, when you mention hate cap, if they raised hate cap as a whole yes that would not help pld, but I still dont understand why they dont just give pld's increased hate.

I hate to bring up other games but have you ever played WoW? Hate has no cap, and any job that is a tank class can generate 200%+ more hate then other jobs. you still get tanks losing hate but every tank feels like a tank. I wish SE could just pay attention to mechanics in other successful franchises

Raising only PLDs hate cap would create imbalance, you'd be at a level of enmity no one could reach, allowing melees to never worry about becoming the target, and mages to cure just one person (sans aoe).
An unlimited cap would mean you could fight for 10 minutes, then get hit with a hate reset, and take forever and a half to get hate back, meanwhile it beats on the mages or whoever else.
To make it like WoW requires an enmity overhaul, that and simply raising PLDs offensive abilities seem like the only real solution now.
By Quiznor 2011-06-07 12:48:29  
Bismarck.Kyokaku said:
no one likes my curaja idea? ; ;

Like other ~ja spells it can increase amount cured and enmity gained (both in base enmity on the spell as well as curing for more hp = even more enmity) the more you use it as long as you are on the mobs hate list!

Edit:I still say every other job should take 50% more damage ^_^;;;
 Fenrir.Eneas
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Eneas
By Fenrir.Eneas 2011-06-07 12:50:52  
@ Kyokaku, what atmas are you using?
 Lakshmi.Kwontess
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Kwontess
By Lakshmi.Kwontess 2011-06-07 12:56:03  
I think raising the hate cap only for pld would be an unnatural advantage. I still don't know that it would benefit the party to have a pld.

The reality is that pld is designed as a defensive job, and there is no reason to play defensively in ffxi currently. With Ochain or Aegis and AF3 we have some amazing potential, but it is all wasted.

I realize that people don't want their favorite DD to die in a couple hits, but at the same time everyone is complaining about ffxi being in easy mode lately. There are no negative consequences for going all out in ffxi. All people do it his their offensive JA's whenever the timer is up and ws when they have 100 tp. If mobs started posing a threat to DD and mages, the game would require a bit more skill and understanding. I'm sure people would complain that it will make fights take longer, but an extra minute or two on an NM is not going to ruin your afternoon.

Some sort of faster hate decay would also be needed, or one that doesn't favor damage quite as much. Right now a monk is gonna cap hate even if they afk for 2 minutes. I think the correct balance could be found that would reward some level of defensive play while not entirely gimping all melee.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-06-07 13:05:46  
Alaik said:
Just a bit of a refresher for some PLDs on hate. Hate caps at 1,000 CE and 1,000 VE. CE standing for cummulative enmity and VE for volatile enmity. Damage, enfeebling, spells, etc all cause VE and CE, generally more CE than VE. Job abilities such as provoke, counterstance, boost, etc generally cause more CE than VE rates. VE decays much faster than CE, and the major 3 ways to lose CE are being hit, losing an utsusemi shadow (Blink shadows of all forms do not count), and being hit by an enfeeble (Even if it's resisted)

In the case of PLD today, we still generate VE/CE amazingly fast, the problem is so does everyone else, they survive well enough, and they do more damage. We don't need anymore defense, we don't need ways of generating hate faster. PLD is still a good tank (in the very strict sense of the word). The problem lies within the fact EVERYONE can cap CE/VE and they provide more perks WHILE doing so.

Even if PLD's VE/CE values were 500 higher than everyone else, you still would have the PLD tank on MNK. Simply because the MNK could do the same job, get the same result, but also contribute damage.

Sadly unless PLD gets an adjustment to make their defense absolutely broken and then SE tailors mobs around them, their options are limited. Removing all the defensive buffs that allow DDs to tank would cause a downright mob I'm sure.

The value is 10,000 of each not 1,000 if you are going by kaeko standards.
By Alaik 2011-06-07 13:15:11  
Yeah I missed a zero, going by Kanican's enmity testing.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
サーバ: Phoenix
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-06-07 13:30:26  
Lakshmi.Kwontess said:
I think raising the hate cap only for pld would be an unnatural advantage. I still don't know that it would benefit the party to have a pld.

The reality is that pld is designed as a defensive job, and there is no reason to play defensively in ffxi currently. With Ochain or Aegis and AF3 we have some amazing potential, but it is all wasted.

I realize that people don't want their favorite DD to die in a couple hits, but at the same time everyone is complaining about ffxi being in easy mode lately. There are no negative consequences for going all out in ffxi. All people do it his their offensive JA's whenever the timer is up and ws when they have 100 tp. If mobs started posing a threat to DD and mages, the game would require a bit more skill and understanding. I'm sure people would complain that it will make fights take longer, but an extra minute or two on an NM is not going to ruin your afternoon.

Some sort of faster hate decay would also be needed, or one that doesn't favor damage quite as much. Right now a monk is gonna cap hate even if they afk for 2 minutes. I think the correct balance could be found that would reward some level of defensive play while not entirely gimping all melee.

Many of the new Voidwatch NMs (and a few of the new Dynamis NMs) pretty much require a good Pld (much harder without).

You can bet that lvl 95/99 content will also house some/many NMs that have such offensive capabilities that simply melee tanking them is ineffective/unwise. The conversation at hand is how to balance enmity in the cases where Pld is a necessity.

However I will say: In the cases I just mentioned (high AoE/offensive/lvl mobs), hate isn't as much of an issue, as the DDs are taking a lot more damage and doing far less damage.
 Phoenix.Deboro
user: Deboro
By Phoenix.Deboro 2011-06-07 13:38:01  
I feel though Pld is still just a crutch for bad support : / 75 never needed pld's for perfect setups ( even sub-perfect ) if people played well.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-06-07 13:46:26  
I wouldn't consider myself a bad player, nor do I surround myself with bad support. I'm also the first person to change to DD/tank when Pld isn't needed.

The people continuing to broadcast pld has no role and is only for "cushions" haven't played with some of the new content, and is naive to not expect similar content in future updates.

Pld wasn't needed at 75 because nothing was hard at 75 (except AV/PW, and you sure as hell brought Pld for those at that lvl).

Pld wasn't needed at 90 because nothing was hard at 90 (until voidwatch/neodynamis, and it's wise to bring a Pld for several of those fights).

You're also missing the point of this thread.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-07 13:48:57  
PLD was always a go to for testing out new content released but I can see people formulating strategies that don't involve them as tanks.
 Phoenix.Deboro
user: Deboro
By Phoenix.Deboro 2011-06-07 13:55:29  
I was just saying that assuming pld will be needed without it being overhauled is naive. that's all.

I wish that Pld could be THE tank I like having a serious tank that has everything it needs to be the role. Im supportive of it and just more upset SE cannot seem to make it the job it is supposed to be.
 Lakshmi.Blacklion
user: Blacklion
By Lakshmi.Blacklion 2011-06-07 14:06:13  
Phoenix.Neosutra said:
Phoenix.Deboro said:
Neo, when you mention hate cap, if they raised hate cap as a whole yes that would not help pld, but I still dont understand why they dont just give pld's increased hate.

I hate to bring up other games but have you ever played WoW? Hate has no cap, and any job that is a tank class can generate 200%+ more hate then other jobs. you still get tanks losing hate but every tank feels like a tank. I wish SE could just pay attention to mechanics in other successful franchises

Never played WoW. I supposed that would be a potential fix. However SE stated they were not going to up the hate cap, as it would break to much other stuff (i.e. too much work on their part). Potentially raising cap for Pld only may be effective, or decreasing enmity deterioration rate. However I suspect the same mechanics problems would arise.

I Dont know why you people keep bringing up raising hate caps, even if PLD kept more hate, what's the point? A DD job Can Survive fine so why take the hate from them or get your damage by using PLD? I personally love PLD so im not bashing on the job, But SE needs to do something to gimp DD'S tanking/defensive Abilities and increase Paladins even further, or something out of the ordinary, hate cap raise or even infinite hate cap will be completely useless In Abyssea (The current area of the game really).
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-06-07 14:18:25  
Phoenix.Deboro said:
I was just saying that assuming pld will be needed without it being overhauled is naive. that's all.

I wish that Pld could be THE tank I like having a serious tank that has everything it needs to be the role. Im supportive of it and just more upset SE cannot seem to make it the job it is supposed to be.

Needed is subjective. You don't "need" a whm on any of the new content, but it's superior at it's job and makes a lot of the fights easier.

Pld makes a lot of the newer content easier, and ofcourse it's possible to do it without a Pld (and some may prefer), however the more lvl difference you introduce, more AoE/defense/etc you introduce, the more practical Pld becomes in managing the mob's attention.

And as I already said, enmity and survivability are just fine on those higher level things, as melees aren't doing ***tons of damage.

Pld isn't broken on the things you should actually bring Pld for, people just don't understand the difference.

And please people, stop lecturing me/anyone about "when to bring pld, and pld is a crutch", it's insulting to imply we don't know when it's useful and applicable. And again, that's not the point of the thread.
 Lakshmi.Blacklion
user: Blacklion
By Lakshmi.Blacklion 2011-06-07 14:27:49  
Phoenix.Neosutra said:
Phoenix.Deboro said:

Needed is subjective. You don't "need" a whm on any of the new content, but it's superior at it's job and makes a lot of the fights easier.

Pld makes a lot of the newer content easier, and ofcourse it's possible to do it without a Pld (and some may prefer), however the more lvl difference you introduce, more AoE/defense/etc you introduce, the more practical Pld becomes in managing the mob's attention.

And as I already said, enmity and survivability are just fine on those higher level things, as melees aren't doing ***tons of damage.

Pld isn't broken on the things you should actually bring Pld for, people just don't understand the difference.

And please people, stop lecturing me/anyone about "when to bring pld, and pld is a crutch", it's insulting to imply we don't know when it's useful and applicable. And again, that's not the point of the thread.

I've found PLD to be quite useful for some of the new Voidwatch NM's, so im sure as more NM's outside abyssea are introduced, the more use PLD becomes, not to mention you have like 1k-2k less hp outside Abyssea so DD's survivability Drops Alot lower compared to PLDS, especially if they have Ochain or Aegis ( they still take less dmg than melee jobs)
By Norondor 2011-06-07 14:31:20  
Phoenix.Deboro said:

... Well, isn't it a huge problem if there's a single "the" tank job, out of 22 jobs in the game? You'd be totally ruining class balance, with one out of every maybe 10 players being forced to fulltime paladin for anyone to make progress.

And PLD is terrible in Abyssea, but that really just seems to be because Abyssea was an interesting, and fun, but basically totally unsuccessful experiment in a new type of endgame content. Or to put it another way, it's not like it's JUST PLD that sees no use in Abyssea -- ask any melee who's had to level BLM and BRD to get even basic gear.

(ETA: i'm not really a super endgame player, so, disclaimer -- but even casuals play this game, so i'm just adding a casual paladin and dancer player's perspective)
 Sylph.Rorrick
サーバ: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-06-07 14:41:35  
Bahamut.Razorback said:
Cover stance? pld enters cover mode so that no matter who stands behind him/her they are protected.

Beat you there.
 Lakshmi.Kwontess
user: Kwontess
By Lakshmi.Kwontess 2011-06-07 15:17:15  
If SE continues to add in some high level NMs that really need a skilled ninja or pld that would be great. I remain skeptical, yet hopeful that they do.

I still think the defensive abilities of other jobs should be scaled back a bit. I'm not asking for monks to get one shotted with counterstance up, but seriously there should be a very noticeable difference between someone with 600 defense and someone with 200 defense. This would only require a little modification to the mobs pdif formula.

I can live without any adjustments to enmity if we're fighting high enough level mobs that melee aren't capping attack and acc simultaneously.
 Bismarck.Kyokaku
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2011-06-07 16:14:44  
Quote:
Kyokaku, what atmas are you using?

It kinda depends.

I Always use RR and GH (Anyone with a Crit WS should though) because of CDC.

I have a very hard time picking between SS and Apoc, and i flip flop between the two.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-07 16:17:25  
Considering that SS > GH post-update and Apoc beats both by a sound margin, I don't think defaulting to GH as your second atma is the best choice. PLD doesn't benefit from GH in the way a MNK or eva tank would.
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-06-07 16:20:48  
Lakshmi.Kwontess said:
If SE continues to add in some high level NMs that really need a skilled ninja or pld that would be great. I remain skeptical, yet hopeful that they do. I still think the defensive abilities of other jobs should be scaled back a bit. I'm not asking for monks to get one shotted with counterstance up, but seriously there should be a very noticeable difference between someone with 600 defense and someone with 200 defense. This would only require a little modification to the mobs pdif formula. I can live without any adjustments to enmity if we're fighting high enough level mobs that melee aren't capping attack and acc simultaneously.

There's a notable difference of about 50% in a lot of cases. But monks counter so much it's worth it.
 Bismarck.Kyokaku
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2011-06-07 16:23:33  
Am i a noob or can you cap crit hit rate without GH now?
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-06-07 16:25:10  
It's not about capping it, your natural Crit rate is higher than your natural crit damage, so you gain more overall from increasing the lower value (seeing how dDex is high if not capped in Abyssea)
 Bismarck.Kyokaku
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2011-06-07 16:26:11  
I'll try that out next time :).
 Ifrit.Arawn
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-06-07 16:31:12  
Hate decay doesn't even matter anymore, tbh, its hitting that cap and then hitting slower than everyone else and not being on top due to that.

I don't think any of their fixes to PLD will do squat to PLD's position in abyssea. doing 500 damage with shield bash every 5 minutes would still be crap. Cover, unless they heavily modify it, will last 30 seconds anyway and be done. No, they're failing to cover the very basic and very broken hate system and that is their entire problem.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-06-07 16:32:37  
@SS/RR/apoc:

I'd like to see the math on that.

25% base crit with capped dDex.

30% crit rate with RR.

30% crit damage with RR.

Base rate with SS/RR/Apoc is 55% crit rate with 30%+20% = 50% + damage from SS/RR.

SS offers 20% boost, 55% of the time.

GH offers 20% boost in crit rate (effecting TP and WS damage greatly), as well as subtleblow/evasion/etc from agility.

Also considering Pld's attack rating is crap most of the time and crit's devalue attack a bit, Pld would benefit more from a higher crit rate (over similar raise in crit damage).

I guess if you need HP SS is nice, but it shouldn't provide you with superior DPS numbers.
 Bismarck.Kyokaku
By Bismarck.Kyokaku 2011-06-07 16:35:39  
Yeah... i always thought capping Crit Rate with GH and RR was the best route... then SS to increase the damage.

Seems like RR Apoc SS would produce incredible spike numbers...

but also horrible low numbers, too.

I'm going to try it htough
 Asura.Solara
サーバ: Asura
user: solara
By Asura.Solara 2011-06-07 16:47:00  
Phoenix.Neosutra said:

But I think that's the problem. You have half the people looking for "fixes" that make Pld necessary all of the time, not just improving it for the times when it's necessary.

I'm certain you know when to bring a Pld and when to use a melee tank, but it's been implied in this thread multiple times that there shouldn't be situations where a melee tank is superior, which is causing the complaints.

That aside, I favor raising mob defense/pdt/mdt, as well as increasing dmg dealt from mob offense. This would lower the usefulness of dd tanks because they couldn't go all out and expect to survive, but holding back wouldn't be conducive to maintaining hate. Add a decrease in the rate at which Plds lose VE and at that point dedicated tanks regain their value for pure hate control and survivability without doing anything game breaking.
 Sylph.Rorrick
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-06-07 16:57:23  
Asura.Solara said:
But I think that's the problem. You have half the people looking for "fixes" that make Pld necessary all of the time, not just improving it for the times when it's necessary.

And yet, this is what you just did;

Quote:
That aside, I favor raising mob defense/pdt/mdt, as well as increasing dmg dealt from mob offense. This would lower the usefulness of dd tanks because they couldn't go all out and expect to survive, but holding back wouldn't be conducive to maintaining hate. Add a decrease in the rate at which Plds lose VE and at that point dedicated tanks regain their value for pure hate control and survivability without doing anything game breaking.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-06-07 17:41:09  
Phoenix.Neosutra said:
@SS/RR/apoc:

I'd like to see the math on that.

25% base crit with capped dDex.

30% crit rate with RR.

30% crit damage with RR.

Base rate with SS/RR/Apoc is 55% crit rate with 30%+20% = 50% + damage from SS/RR.

SS offers 20% boost, 55% of the time.

GH offers 20% boost in crit rate (effecting TP and WS damage greatly), as well as subtleblow/evasion/etc from agility.

Also considering Pld's attack rating is crap most of the time and crit's devalue attack a bit, Pld would benefit more from a higher crit rate (over similar raise in crit damage).

I guess if you need HP SS is nice, but it shouldn't provide you with superior DPS numbers.

Assuming 70D weapon since it doesn't matter and capped pdif (2.0)

70D*2.0 = 140/hit

70D*3.0 = 210/crit ~ 50% increase

70D*3.0*1.30 = 273/crit with RR ~ 95% increase

70D*3.0*1.50 = 315/crit with RR/SS ~ 125% increase

Orginal rate being 25%, 55% with RR, and 75% with GH/RR. Just ball parking melee/WS damage split at 80%, doesn't really matter since WS is a crit WS

(Original Crit rate*Original crit DMG increase*melee split)/(new crit rate*new crit dmg increase*melee split)

So (.25*1.50*.80)/(.75*1.95*.80) 25% increase to melee damage with RR/GH

(.25*1.50*.80)/(.55*2.25*.80) 30% increase to melee damage with RR/SS

Numbers are obviously higher with uncapped pdif, but the increases should remain proportional