フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » New set considerations for Aegis(90) PLDs
New set considerations for Aegis(90) PLDs
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-07-27 08:17:09  
Phoenix.Neosutra said:
Boxers overtakes Shadow the closer you are to the mob's level (when evasion starts mattering), as long as you're facing the mob (gaining the benefits of the shield skill and evasion)
And parrying...
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-07-27 08:55:06  
The relative PDT of Shadow mantle is going to depend on your current -pdt, to say Shadow always > Metallon is vastly overstating
 Phoenix.Neosutra
サーバ: Phoenix
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-07-27 11:13:21  
It's not overstating.

It's actually very accurate. Other than the reasons Grandtheif stated, Metallon should never be used over Shadow Mantle.

Unless you're fighting something that's stupidly overcapped on accuracy while also TPing in a low amount of PDT...

You're stretching here. For Gustave's question, my answers is correct. There's not reason to postulate extremely rare hypotheticals and go "HEY NEO YOU FORGOT THAT .001% OF THE TIME THAT METALLON WILL BE MAYBE .001% BETTER THAN SHADOW MANTLE DUDE".

Seriously.
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-07-27 11:37:54  
A Disclaimer first off, I rarely use PLD anymore, so I'm not going to include boxer's here, just a comparison of the PDT from shadow vs metallon. Also, if you're down to 50 HP and about to take a hit, then yes, Shadow is obviously the better gear. I'm assuming you're @ a decent percent with some kind of healing support.

Now that that's out of the way,
If you have 0% Pdt, then adding metallon gives you 4% PDT, and Shadow Mantle gives you ~4% equivalent pdt, given that ~4% of the time, instead of taking full damage, you'd be taking 0 damage.

If you're in full PDT Gear, and you have a decent set up, say -40%, adding metallon gives you 4% pdt, but a shadow mantle no longer gives you that same 4%. You still take 0 damage 4% of the time, but you're only comparing it to the 60% you would take since you're in full pdt. That would give you a comparative pdt of only 2.4%.

Basically the better your PDT set is (up to 46%), the worse shadow mantle is going to fare.

I'm not sure how much of an effect evasion will have tbh, but if you think it's a significant effect, then you should be looking at evasion gear in some of the lower PDT slots.
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-07-27 11:39:28  
4% of the time, it works every time.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-07-27 11:44:05  
I was responding to Neo's thoughts on the negative evasion, I've never really focused on evasion in a pdt set, but that's probably my shortcoming

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-07-27 13:05:04  
From parses I've run, the majority of mobs (barring some of the newer ones introduced) aren't overcapped on accuracy, so the -evasion will hurt you more than the PDT helps you.

There are of course the mobs that are way overcapped, and Altar is accurate in saying that the more PDT you're using, the less net effect off Shadow Mantle. However, examining people's typical Pld/war Def sets and the variety of mob types, it's a safe bet to use Shadow Mantle over Metallon universally.

If you really have the inventory and care enough, then go ahead and carry both around, and macro in the Metallon mantle in your heavy PDT set when fighting extremely high level mobs (remembering to swap it out again during flash duration..).

I for one don't have the inventory for that.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-07-27 19:02:49  
I'm glad you guys cleared that up a bit and without much drama, because that is the last thing I wanted to happen.
I simply didn't agree with metallon being as useless as you made it out to be. If you have shadow and boxer's, you certainly don't need to carry around a third piece for that slot, unless you want/need to cap it all out completely.
The fact of the matter is though, that not everyone has everything available, so saying "d.ring or gtfo" (for example) would be also not much of a good advise.

Thanks a lot for staying so civil, after all, this is to help each other out, whether you have the best gear or not.

I also kinda derailed there to begin with, by bringing up Ochain for which there are slightly different sets more or less useful than for Aegis PLDs. Since you don't need to care much about eva with that.
 Valefor.Sylvr
サーバ: Valefor
user: Sylvr
By Valefor.Sylvr 2011-07-28 02:07:42  
Phoenix.Neosutra said:
From parses I've run, the majority of mobs (barring some of the newer ones introduced) aren't overcapped on accuracy, so the -evasion will hurt you more than the PDT helps you.

There are of course the mobs that are way overcapped, and Altar is accurate in saying that the more PDT you're using, the less net effect off Shadow Mantle. However, examining people's typical Pld/war Def sets and the variety of mob types, it's a safe bet to use Shadow Mantle over Metallon universally.

If you really have the inventory and care enough, then go ahead and carry both around, and macro in the Metallon mantle in your heavy PDT set when fighting extremely high level mobs (remembering to swap it out again during flash duration..).

I'm interested to know, could those Parses where the mobs don't appear to be capped on ACC be due to Flash? I must assume that a ~4 second duration Flash every ~22 seconds would definitely skew a mob's ACC on a Parser.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-07-28 10:07:02  
Valefor.Sylvr said:
Phoenix.Neosutra said:

I'm interested to know, could those Parses where the mobs don't appear to be capped on ACC be due to Flash? I must assume that a ~4 second duration Flash every ~22 seconds would definitely skew a mob's ACC on a Parser.

Ofcourse, and it would play a heavier factor into the overall hit rate as mob level increases.

And to Grandthief: I never said "Shadow or GTFO", I stated that if you had Shadow, you shouldn't waste the slot with Metallon.

edit: Wow, like 5 responses in this thread and Krizz hasn't topic banned me yet. Was interested in seeing his excuse this time.
 Lakshmi.Blacklion
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Blacklion
By Lakshmi.Blacklion 2011-07-28 10:34:54  
What mobs do you people fight where you /nin and need evasion? >.>, If you parse how many times you evade any pld-worthy mob, you'll Count extremely low.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-07-28 10:39:32  
No one was talking about /nin and evasion tanking. We were factoring in evaded hits into the cumulative damage calculation when determining total PDT%.
 Lakshmi.Blacklion
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Blacklion
By Lakshmi.Blacklion 2011-07-28 10:41:41  
I know i just clicked this thread a few mins ago and read the pages, and saw alot of sets incorporated to /nin
 Valefor.Sylvr
サーバ: Valefor
user: Sylvr
By Valefor.Sylvr 2011-07-31 02:00:08  
Phoenix.Neosutra said:
Valefor.Sylvr said:
Phoenix.Neosutra said:

Ofcourse, and it would play a heavier factor into the overall hit rate as mob level increases.

And to Grandthief: I never said "Shadow or GTFO", I stated that if you had Shadow, you shouldn't waste the slot with Metallon.

edit: Wow, like 5 responses in this thread and Krizz hasn't topic banned me yet. Was interested in seeing his excuse this time.

What I was getting at was that maybe mob's DO have capped hit rate (outside of Flash), and Metallion Mantle ISN'T useless.

I was speculating that perhaps the Parses put forth as evidence in favor of Evasion making a difference against "PLD Worthy Mobs" aren't sufficient to prove this point.

The test to find out for sure would actually be pretty easy. Parse 1000 hits (preferably more) against an IT or decent level NM with and without the Mantle on and see how much difference 15 Evasion makes on the mob's hit rate. If the Mantle costs you enough hits to negate the 4% PDT, then we know that it's use is very limited.