users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » New set considerations for Aegis(90) PLDs
New set considerations for Aegis(90) PLDs
 Phoenix.Neosutra
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-05-10 17:06:51  
Well, no need to keep the Lamian Kamen +1 locking up your ranged slot if you can just use the demonry stone for the same purpose and swap in the impatiens for casting.

My Max enmity set is:

However I don't swap all of this in when in Pld/war or Max PDT sets, as I'm likely to lose more enmity from the extra damage taken from losing PDT/shield gear during those JA actions. So spellcast only swaps in these items when I have shadows up and am not in pure PDT mode.

Obvious for actions like flash I use fastcast/haste to cap timers first, then enmity.

And I don't have hydra legs/hands for extra enmity.

edit: Might as well -

Fast cast ACP body obviously. For Ichi spellcast macros in Spell interupt legs (relic+1) as well for mid cast.

Ichi:

Ni:

Caveat: I do not have the new 3% PDT hands, or the two new ranged items. I'm just listing them in the optimal sets.
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-05-10 22:17:47  
Phoenix.Neosutra said:

And I don't have hydra legs/hands for extra enmity. Though I'm at the 50 enmity cap already with the above set, before counting Burtgang.

I wouldn't count out additional enmity+ gear quite yet.

"* + Enmity from gear and merits (add the 2 together) caps at +100. Note that if you hear anyone tell you I tested the cap to be +50, they are likely just seeing the -50 number (which I found first) and assuming it to be true the other way. This is a common piece of mis-information on various PLD forums. I have only run one +enmity cap test in addition to another person on BG doing the same and we reached the same conclusion - THE CAP IS 100."

From kaeko's LJ.
[+]
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-05-11 00:46:20  
I think I knew that and forgot orz.

Either way, the entire enmity system needs to be reworked.

Anyways, back to shitty Burtgang trials so I can do some lvl 90 tests..
 Asura.Natenn
サーバ: Asura
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2011-05-11 01:50:17  
Well Ageis sitting at Lv80 still (lazy) But heres how i see it, since im on PS2 i can only use my macros so on PLD DT-% i just consolidate MDT/PDT at same time. So right noonce Aegis is 90 ill be sitting with Dark Ring(-5%PDT&MDT) Defending Ring -10%DMG (-15%) Twilight torque-5%(20% both) Shamshir+2 -10% PDT (30%P/20%M) Nierenshutz -3% DT (33%P/23%M) Aegis 40% MDT (33%P/63%M) & shell5 25% MDT(33%P/88%MDT) oh and creed legs +2 5% PDT (38% PDT & 88% MDT)

with shield gear and merits shield+34 skill (have auged versa hands shield+4 and 1 PDT so 39% PDT unless the bonus from creed hands+2 is better, not checked). Working on almace and excal so that 10% from sham will be used rarely if it all. Shouldn't be taking much dmg anyway its more about keeping hate and not having the "ill just spam flash and let mages cure bomb me bc i can't cure myself or others effectivly" mentality.
 Asura.Natenn
By Asura.Natenn 2011-05-11 02:02:45  
Im still a PLD/NIN since ive not used PLD seriously since 80 cap BUT if NM not using magic then yea, shield torque when shadows down. (Not like PLD has use yet anyway) Shield blocks save you more then full out PDT as long as you dont BACK TANK LIKE THIS 1 GUY I KNOW, hence you don't NEED alot of PDT for PLD 20% is fine but more not gonna kill ya /shrug Im sure ghere will be a nasty NM in the future where Aegis MDT breaking cap will turn a omgwtfthisishard fight into an easier fight and ppl will be like "you cheated you have ageis" ect. But we'll just have to see,

BTW wheres that flower thing for ammo slot come from?
 Leviathan.Gotterdammerung
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Gotterdammerung 2011-05-11 02:15:32  
At what point during an enemies spell casting is the damage checked versus your stats and gear?

Would it be possible to spellcast Killer trait + Gear in b4 the damage is checked then switch back to mdt/mdb? Kinda like mages do with fast cast gear to start the cast.
 Asura.Natenn
By Asura.Natenn 2011-05-11 02:23:59  
Like .5s b4 spell goes off?
 Cerberus.Jinz
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Jinz 2011-05-11 06:29:24  
Did Chevlink. Meteor @ 1% wiped everything in zone except Aegis PLD.
Lv.85 Aegis PLD took 13 dmg....Ochain died lol
I'll post his MDT set soon. trying to get a d.ring atm.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-05-11 07:10:38  
Cerberus.Jinz said:

I don't know how much dmg that does at 90 (judging by everyone dying I'll assume it's still high), but that's a pretty serious reduction, are you sure he didn't have Fealty on?
 Bahamut.Xslayrx
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Xslayrx
By Bahamut.Xslayrx 2011-05-11 07:21:45  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Cerberus.Jinz said:

I don't know how much dmg that does at 90 (judging by everyone dying I'll assume it's still high), but that's a pretty serious reduction, are you sure he didn't have Fealty on?
I took 1289 dmg from the 1% meteor on mnk when I did it yesterday. Had shellra V and 19% MDT, but I'm not really sure if I hit the macro fast enough.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-05-11 07:30:52  
Bahamut.Xslayrx said:

I took 1289 dmg from the 1% meteor on mnk when I did it yesterday. Had shellra V and 19% MDT, but I'm not really sure if I hit the macro fast enough.

Is this the 1% Meteor? I remember it being a lot stronger than reg meteors.

So around 1850 DMG assuming macro was hit (and 5/5 shell V), 1600ish if macro wasn't hit.

90% of 1850 would be 185, 90% of 1600 is 160. Gonna go with fealty on this one! Still, I really want to finish my Aegis trials now.
 Cerberus.Blazed
By Cerberus.Blazed 2011-05-11 07:41:53  
he didnt have fealty up as far as I know. we had a whm/sch toss up an accession stoneskin @ 6%.

However, that stoneskin from that particular whm I know to be kinda weak, max of 200-230 dmg mitigation. and the PLD was tanking getting normal melee hits from chelvink after stoneskin was up.

and yes, it was the 1% meteor. *** insane that it killed my 2100 HP mnk instantly. Would have thought @ Lv.90 we would resist it a bit. I had no MDT on, no mdb, full tantra+2 and vere's + thew bomblet/rajas/eponas/athelinc/blackbelt/brutal/ethereal earring.

I have my 75 Aegis, I can do a few nuke tests on myself in brenner and will post it later. I can still hit high above the old 50% MDT cap even with just 75 aegis. so it might prove beneficial to some.

edit: and whm has ShellraV+5, ProV+4, devo+1
 Cerberus.Jinz
By Cerberus.Jinz 2011-05-11 07:51:25  
his set

EDIT: Medb's gauntlets + Salvus mantle

he had hands that are sold on AH with MDB on them and the MDB back, not lamia mantle. I couldn't find them cuz I forgot their names, and they are not listed on Wiki under MDB gear.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-05-11 09:14:39  
Leviathan.Gotterdammerung said:
At what point during an enemies spell casting is the damage checked versus your stats and gear?

Would it be possible to spellcast Killer trait + Gear in b4 the damage is checked then switch back to mdt/mdb? Kinda like mages do with fast cast gear to start the cast.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Calculating_Magic_Damage

You can see how dStat, MDB, and MDT effect spells cast on you (and I'm pretty sure most magic AOE WS from mobs have a dStat component since most player based magic WS have dStat components).
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-05-11 11:14:17  
Cerberus.Jinz said:
his set

EDIT: Medb's gauntlets + Salvus mantle

he had hands that are sold on AH with MDB on them and the MDB back, not lamia mantle. I couldn't find them cuz I forgot their names, and they are not listed on Wiki under MDB gear.

He's wearing 29% MDT (assuming capped hate enmity with 10% DT on the body at cap), so he can drop 7% MDT from that build and replace it with MDB (assuming capped shell5 merits).

Which reminds me, I should probably make a "getting shell 4 MDT build, and without capped Cumulative Enmity" that has more MDT, as well as a "capped shell5 and capped Cumulative Enmity" that has the minimum 22% MDT needed and stacks MDB elsewhere..
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-05-11 11:18:22  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Cerberus.Jinz said:
Did Chevlink. Meteor @ 1% wiped everything in zone except Aegis PLD. Lv.85 Aegis PLD took 13 dmg....Ochain died lol I'll post his MDT set soon. trying to get a d.ring atm.
Tested it out to be 2000 constant damage with only shellra V(oh and 1 merman's earring just b/c it was stuck on my tp gear) and no other mdt gear.
 Diabolos.Inuyushi
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Inuyushi
By Diabolos.Inuyushi 2011-05-12 09:55:31  
Phoenix.Neosutra said:
Well, no need to keep the Lamian Kamen +1 locking up your ranged slot if you can just use the demonry stone for the same purpose and swap in the impatiens for casting.

My Max enmity set is:

However I don't swap all of this in when in Pld/war or Max PDT sets, as I'm likely to lose more enmity from the extra damage taken from losing PDT/shield gear during those JA actions. So spellcast only swaps in these items when I have shadows up and am not in pure PDT mode.

Obvious for actions like flash I use fastcast/haste to cap timers first, then enmity.

And I don't have hydra legs/hands for extra enmity.

edit: Might as well -

Fast cast ACP body obviously. For Ichi spellcast macros in Spell interupt legs (relic+1) as well for mid cast.

Ichi:

Ni:

Caveat: I do not have the new 3% PDT hands, or the two new ranged items. I'm just listing them in the optimal sets.

If you wanna pimp out your Fast Cast on pld/nin you may want to look into Augmenting some Crimson Cuises/Blood Cuises to get Fast Cast+ on them (Highest I have seen is 5). Just a suggestion!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-12 11:52:03  
Wlegs can get up to MDB+5 as well. Small improvement over IR legs and inv+1 ftw.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-05-12 15:15:42  
Have you seen MDB and FC on the same augment? That's great.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-12 15:21:56  
Yeah. The way it seems to work is that each item has the following pattern:

NQ: one random augment
HQ1-2: one guaranteed augment, one random augment
HQ3: one guaranteed augment, two random augments

Wleg's guaranteed augment is Fast Cast. The amount of each aug varies but +5 seems to be a common cap value. Kirin item augments (Osode, Pole) are also determined by which sky god's seal desynth you're using.

Credit to Slycer for compiling and organizing augments here.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [75 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Gustavve
user: Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-07-26 09:25:28  
Trying to maximize sets while keeping inventory space.

I can swap out medb's for IR dastana's. I'll lose 1 enmity on cure cheats/ja's but pickup 1 mdb.

I can also storage IR breeches and use 5mdb cuisses and lose 1 enmity on cure cheats/ja's (never finished pants expansion). I'll have to keep homam pants around because even with 5 FC homam > cuisses.

Anyone else running into inventory issues even with 80 slots lol? Once Shinryu decides to put out (0/20-30 with blue !!) I can save a few more slots like ares/crm scale mail.

Mainly I think the inventory issues compared to 75 is carrying around a vorpal and sang set. I'd like to get down to 70/80 before adding in stoneskin potency gear/nin tools. Funny pld is my least used job and takes up most of my inventory lol. I should probably just post my sets and you guys can help on where I can save.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-07-26 10:10:46  
In terms of maximizing inv, you'd be better off keeping the IR hands. Multipurpose items are the key to efficient inv use.

Sadly, if you want space you have to make sacrifices. The perfect set for every action takes massive amounts of space. So you try to balance, and make good sets that use pieces that have multiple uses.

For example, I assume if you put away IR hands you'd be going to homam hands as enmity hands? Personally, I stored Homam hands sometime ago. While they are still the best flash piece, that's all they were for. I TP in creed+2 hands, Enmity/cure in IR. So I gave up 3 emnity on flash for inv+1, and just flashed in creed hands, gaining +1% haste.

As for the legs, I'd finish ASA and store IR legs. The enmity+4/Cure+5% legs are great. I'll do much the same once i can get some MDB on my blood cuisses.

As for homam legs, if I were going to replace them in terms of recast reduction, I'd go with creed legs +2. And creed legs would also be your TP and PDT legs. 3 in 1. You'd effectively be losing 1% recast-(4% haste vs (3%haste+(4% fastcast/2)).

Well, unless you're using a 6% haste belt. Then going full haste might put you over the haste cap, invalidating some of the haste where fast cast could still have an effect.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-07-26 10:13:14  
marty is going to invent a windower app that takes gear out of sack with your macros. then i can level pld again.

thanks marty!
 Phoenix.Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-07-26 10:26:01  
Iirc Byrth tested homams legs to be 5 FC meaning at best wlegs will be even on the FC and lose out on 3% haste with spells you can't midcast swap. Moot point since I use a 6% belt for those spells.

I'll get around to doing the add on pants since I bought it before I quit but never finished.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-07-26 10:46:32  
Well, I wasn't supporting using FC Wlegs for recast in anycase. My alternative was creed +2 legs. But either way, its a loss. but that's the point. Decide what's worth it to sacrifice for more space.

But yeah, since I assume you'd cap haste using only 3% haste in the legs, you wouldn't benefit from creed legs' 4%, putting homam even farther ahead on recasts. As I don't have a 6% belt, it'd be a smaller loss for me.

And I haven't seen byrth's Homam test. I'd always seen them as 4% FC. I'll have to go look at that.

Any other gear/slot comparisons?
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-07-26 10:55:20  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
marty is going to invent a windower app that takes gear out of sack with your macros. then i can level pld again.

thanks marty!

Sadly, I am not in the slightest a programmer. Unless you count XMLs. And while that's a cool idea, if you've noticed the obnoxious delay between taking out pieces of gear, I doubt it could work for more then one piece of gear on quick action. Assuming you can take gear out via a cmd of some kinda in the first place.

Yeah, I know. You were joking. But the statement trigger all these literal thoughts, so you get to listen to them.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-07-26 10:58:31  
Whats your thoughts on boxer's vs metallon vs shadow mantle. Aegis btw
Blood tanking / casting / kiting.

I've been using Boxer's + Shield torque for casting and Metallon + twilight for blood tanking. @ 75 I used shadow mantle for both.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-07-26 11:08:08  
Don't use Metallon. Unless the mob is significantly overcapped on acc against you, Metallon will cost you more damage than it saves.

Also, Shadow Mantle is ~4% PDT, and is omnidirectional, so it's always superior to Metallon.

Boxers overtakes Shadow the closer you are to the mob's level (when evasion starts mattering), as long as you're facing the mob (gaining the benefits of the shield skill and evasion)

Shadow for things higher level things and kiting. Boxers for lower level NQ mobs/NMs that you're straight tanking. Metallon never.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-07-27 02:37:55  
Phoenix.Neosutra said:
Metallon never.
I think, it's all situational. Obviously, you're right that if you want to evade/mitigate as much dmg as you can, you're completely right.
However, in some situations (especially against lower stuff) and most likely with Ochain, you actually want to get "hit" in order to gain TP faster and "refresh" your enmity through cures. Due to the items that make you lose less enmity when getting hit, I'd guess that this could be a method to make fights faster.

Of course, one would have to do the maths from what you'd have more benefits, evading all possible dmg or eating some and striking back more often.

Sadly, this is just theoretical on my part, since I don't have access to every nice piece of gear or get to fight much challenging stuff..
But I think, that the game is way more dynamic than it used to be and there are also way more tools available (see inventory shortage). Certainly, old-school tanking has it's place though but I'd like to have a view on this as well.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-07-27 07:40:57  
I wouldn't tp in metallon for sure but it's still perfectly reasonable to blink into it for enemy tp moves. Back in the old days it was perfectly acceptable to full time your shield gear, pdt gear, or enmity gear (i distinctly remember dozens of plds running around in martial body and assjammer head, or later: baha mask and ares body) but if you use it reasonably, that gear still has some viability.