フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Best Moogle Weapon
Best Moogle Weapon
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bismarck.Toabea
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Enygma3
By Bismarck.Toabea 2010-09-19 10:13:46  
I know there is a topic about it already, but there doesn't seem to be a clear or even majority decisiion on this, and i just wanted to know if 2 STR swords or 2 MACC weapons are best... I'm leaning towards one of each, but im new to blu since i just hit 75 yesterday
 Caitsith.Jar
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-09-19 10:15:39  
STR ones.
 Bismarck.Toabea
By Bismarck.Toabea 2010-09-19 10:18:26  
guessing by your answer macc and mp aren't rly needed at 85 blu? well not needed i mean, rather not as good on weapons as str and att?
 Phoenix.Fredjan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-09-19 10:25:56  
Bismarck.Toabea said:
guessing by your answer macc and mp aren't rly needed at 85 blu? well not needed i mean, rather not as good on weapons as str and att?
Do two STR/ATK swords. Maybe one magic accuracy sword, but only if you really don't have anything to work on.
 Bismarck.Toabea
By Bismarck.Toabea 2010-09-19 10:33:39  
what do you mean by not having anything to work on? i mean absolute 2 best swords outside of mythic/emperyeal
 Phoenix.Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-09-19 10:48:40  
Bismarck.Toabea said:
what do you mean by not having anything to work on? i mean absolute 2 best swords outside of mythic/emperyeal
That last part refers to the magic accuracy sword.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-09-19 10:52:33  
ie: if you're really super bored, already have your STR swords and feel like torturing yourself with more trials, then by all means do a macc sword. If you're trying to stun-lock something, one DEX and one macc sword is probably the best, but it's a kinda meh situation.
 Remora.Brain
サーバ: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2010-09-20 16:22:56  
If stun locking anything big and significantly resistant to stun, then go for 2 MACC swords for sure, but if that's not a situation you see yourself in, then don't bother.
 Sylph.Kwate
サーバ: Sylph
user: kwate
By Sylph.Kwate 2010-09-20 18:38:51  
i personally use 2STR, i'm currently doing OAT 2-3 trial for NM and HNM fights or just when i want to spice things up, with 2 STR swords, i do a lot of damage both swinging and casting. My former swords were koggelmander and beast slayer.
 Asura.Sope
サーバ: Asura
user: sope
By Asura.Sope 2010-09-20 18:58:32  
2 STR is definitely the way to go.

If you really want Macc swords, wait until you finish STR. The Macc swords are entirely situational, and won't give you nearly as much overall goodness.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-20 19:05:39  
HNMs would be the main time I'd put my 2-3 swd away. Rather not tp feed most HNMs unless zerging in which case your spamming spells
 Ramuh.Zangada
user: zangada
By Ramuh.Zangada 2010-09-20 19:20:09  
I'd go for the dex and acc sword, most of ur spells r physical and multi hit. Unless u like doing alot of blu magic spells macc is pointless on swords.

Str is ok and attk is useless on spells, so overall i think dex and acc. benefits u.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 19:37:52  
Ramuh.Zangada said:
I'd go for the dex and acc sword, most of ur spells r physical and multi hit. Unless u like doing alot of blu magic spells macc is pointless on swords.

Str is ok and attk is useless on spells, so overall i think dex and acc. benefits u.
DEX swords are a waste of time. Capping hitrate is trivial for 99.9% of the game's content (especially with AF3), and the rest generally isn't melee-friendly to begin with.
[+]
 Ramuh.Zangada
user: zangada
By Ramuh.Zangada 2010-09-20 19:48:07  
Since when is acc a waste of time? My aword is dex+8 acc+14 and i do good meele dmg not counting the acc for spells.

And if ur gonna agrue my answer at least come up with a better solution.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 20:27:08  
Ramuh.Zangada said:
Since when is acc a waste of time? My aword is dex+8 acc+14 and i do good meele dmg not counting the acc for spells.

Acc on your weapons is a waste of time because you generally don't need that accuracy (have more than enough from normal gear + food), how is that not clear from my post? Better solution is STR swords, thought that was obvious. The thing about weapons is you generally fulltime them, so it makes more sense to make weapons with stats that are always relevant. Making trades on the DEX swords' acc is difficult even on higher level content and on 75 cap content it's downright impossible because you'll cap acc with STR swords, ring, back, meat, etc.
[+]
 Shiva.Ravager
サーバ: Shiva
user: Ravager
By Shiva.Ravager 2010-09-20 21:18:15  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ramuh.Zangada said:

Acc on your weapons is a waste of time because you generally don't need that accuracy (have more than enough from normal gear + food), how is that not clear from my post? Better solution is STR swords, thought that was obvious. The thing about weapons is you generally fulltime them, so it makes more sense to make weapons with stats that are always relevant. Making trades on the DEX swords' acc is difficult even on higher level content and on 75 cap content it's downright impossible because you'll cap acc with STR swords, ring, back, meat, etc.

Saying DEX Shamshir is a waste of time is a bit harsh, in my opinion. Since most endgame is in Abyssea now and with all the buffs/atmas you can get from NPC, I'd prefer the 8 DEX and 14 acc over the 8 STR and 18 attack if I had a choice of just one(I have 1 STR and 1 DEX shamshir) as far as my BLU goes. Plus DEX Shamshir for my setup is a godsend for my TP gear. It's not that good anymore with Empyrean armor out, and will certainly change once I get some of the BLU empyrean gear, but it still gets the job done for now. DEX Shamshir compensates some of the huge amounts of accuracy missing in the other slots where accuracy is traded off for haste. This is what I use for TP most the time just so you get an idea as to why DEX Shamshir is far from useless to me even when I eat sushi. Now I know this isn't what you probably call "normal gear" so I guess that's why I'm an exception.

Get the sword(s) and weapons that best fits the setups you're aiming for, I always say.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 21:30:48  
Shiva.Ravager said:
Saying DEX Shamshir is a waste of time is a bit harsh, in my opinion.
Truth hurts?
Quote:
Since most endgame is in Abyssea now and with all the buffs/atmas you can get from NPC, I'd prefer the 8 DEX and 14 acc over the 8 STR and 18 attack if I had a choice of just one(I have 1 STR and 1 DEX shamshir) as far as my BLU goes.
That's part of why you SHOULDN'T be using a DEX Shamshir. All those buffs make capping acc a joke. Even if you're somehow pDIF capped (fSTR is easy), the STR still has a greater effect on spells and WS.
Quote:
Plus DEX Shamshir for my setup is a godsend for my TP gear.
I'll get to this in a minute.
Quote:
DEX Shamshir compensates some of the huge amounts of accuracy missing in the other slots where accuracy is traded off for haste. This is what I use for TP most the time just so you get an idea as to why DEX Shamshir is far from useless to me even when I eat sushi.
Because you should be capping acc with sushi. Stop underrating your hitrate.
Quote:
Now I know this isn't what you probably call "normal gear" so I guess that's why I'm an exception.

Get the sword(s) and weapons that best fits the setups you're aiming for, I always say.
Why are you TPing in Nashira Manteel and Mavi Tathlum? If those are both DEX swords, you have way more accuracy than me even when I TP in Strigoi + Amemet +1 (screw Forager's for the time being, not worthwhile when something better may come out and I'm working on augments), which is what I generally do when eating Sole Sushi (pretty common for Abyssea parties).

EDIT: you lack sword merits. Still, you should be more than fine without DEX swords and on older content where you don't need any of that acc it should be painfully obvious that STR swords are superior.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-09-20 21:40:06  
I think you shouldn't TP in that for the sole reason it's going to look HIDEOUS.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-09-20 21:44:09  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
I think you shouldn't TP in that for the sole reason it's going to look HIDEOUS.
ITT: Nashira Manteel and Acubens Helm are hideous
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-09-20 21:49:25  
Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
ITT: Nashira Manteel and Acubens Helm are hideous

.dat swap gooooooooo. who cares if its hideous for you as long as it looks good on my screen >.>
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-09-20 21:50:59  
Together, are they not O_o?
 Shiva.Ravager
user: Ravager
By Shiva.Ravager 2010-09-20 21:52:32  
I forgot to mention I have the Atma of the Stout Arm, 40 STR, 50 atk in Abyssea, which is all I really do anymore. The STR from Shamshir has an even lesser effect on me than the accuracy. I don't understand as to why you think there's only ONE way to do these weapons and it's all solely STR path, apparently. (What is this, 2006 where Taru can't be melee because STRSTRSTRSTR?) I TP in manteel because I'm going for a capped haste set, tathlum because I'm eating sushi already and not too fond of the HP and evasion down for just 2 measly accuracy with Tiphia Sting. Lastly, I don't think I'm underrating my hit rate, I just like to be well rounded with ACC/ATK/haste on BLU. What I'm using now works for me and I'm pretty content, so go ahead and dissect this post if that's what you want to do. Edit: BLU isn't my only job, if it were possible, I would cap sword merits, but I have multiple DD jobs to attend to also.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-09-20 22:03:03  
DEF down sword
 Caitsith.Jessie
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2010-09-20 22:05:15  
Hmm, I'm glad someone else asked this question already.

I was at first going to go for one STR/Attack and one DEX/Accuracy weapon for my Blue Mage (and maybe even one Magic Accuracy one if I really had to) mostly because I'm an accuracy nut and hate "whiff"ing even when it's a fast weapon.

Hell, knowing how fast I progress at this game it'll probably be 3 years before I even finish one weapon, so I'll definitely start with STR.

Magic Accuracy is an underrated stat in my opinion. It affects a lot of Blue Magic, especially considering how much the job has in terms of enfeebling potential. But on a weapon that I have to spend so much time on, I know it's a lower priority.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 22:05:26  
Shiva.Ravager said:
I forgot to mention I have the Atma of the Stout Arm, 40 STR, 50 atk in Abyssea, which is all I really do anymore. The STR from Shamshir has an even lesser effect on me than the accuracy.
How can you have less than no effect?
Quote:
I don't understand as to why you think there's only ONE way to do these weapons and it's all solely STR path, apparently. (What is this, 2006 where Taru can't be melee because STRSTRSTRSTR?)
Hardly, but a nice strawman nonetheless. There's plenty of options, DEX just happens to be low on the totem pole and it's of comparable difficulty to obtain as compared to the STR sword, so it's a convenient comparison. If you're up to investing in other options (which will also generally outperform DEX swords), more power to you.
Quote:
I TP in manteel because I'm going for a capped haste set, tathlum because I'm eating sushi already and not too fond of the HP and evasion down for just 2 measly accuracy with Tiphia Sting.
Smart Grenade? Either way, conflicting priorities and Nashira was never a particularly good TP piece given how haste and JA delay interact, not to mention our spell:melee split.
Quote:
Lastly, I don't think I'm underrating my hit rate, I just like to be well rounded with ACC/ATK/haste on BLU. What I'm using now works for me and I'm pretty content, so go ahead and dissect this post if that's what you want to do. Edit: BLU isn't my only job, if it were possible, I would cap sword merits, but I have multiple DD jobs to attend to also.
What you think is false, so... just saying. Should try parsing sometime.
 Ragnarok.Zirael
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Zirael
By Ragnarok.Zirael 2010-09-20 22:07:17  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Shiva.Ravager said:

Why are you TPing in Nashira Manteel and Mavi Tathlum? If those are both DEX swords, you have way more accuracy than me even when I TP in Strigoi + Amemet +1 (screw Forager's for the time being, not worthwhile when something better may come out and I'm working on augments), which is what I generally do when eating Sole Sushi (pretty common for Abyssea parties).

Haste+3% and BlueMagic+5? Feel free to give better options for the slots.

Also, Nightfyre, instead of advocating STR 8+8 on swords, start working on getting yourself Atma of Stout Arm and Atma of Voracious Violet. Most things outside abyssea are too weak now, regardless of what sword you're using.

For me Haste and capping ACC for TP would be the way to go. Unless your damage comes mostly from meeling, Attack does very little to you. And having that much ACC for multihit spells on swords lets you load more STR/DEX/VIT in armor slots. Aside from Quad.Cont. DEX is modifier for all multihits that matter.

Don't get so aggressive Nightfyre, I agree STR swords are nice to have too, but it doesn't look like to me the guy is doing it wrong.

Also, if you look at Macc sword trial requirements, you'll see they are waaaay more easy to complete than STR or DEX sword. Provided you got inventorry space, it's not hard to get yourself a pair.
[+]
 Shiva.Tenrio
user: Tenrio
By Shiva.Tenrio 2010-09-20 22:10:00  
About finished with my Dex and Str sword, set up works for me in both TP and spells. I used to use Perdu/Koggel, really glad AF3 head has Haste on it and even more so sword skill :D kicks Walahra and SNAAAAAKE headband out of the way. I love this new fad of solely stacking on STR though, last year it was M.Acc.
 Quetzalcoatl.Hellblade
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: rainee
By Quetzalcoatl.Hellblade 2010-09-20 22:10:38  
i'm suprised no one has mentioned the vit+8 and PDT -9% to go along with a PDT set for when you rip those big juicy Qaud continuums and pull hate or for soloing and many other uses when your the one tanking its honestly a great sword. for instance i was in attowa abyssea the other day and the cockatrice would hit me for like 250 until i hit my gear swap and then they were doing 70-90 much more tolerable when you know your gonna get hit. don't get me wrong the other swords all have there benefits as well just wanted to throw another sword in the mix.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 22:11:42  
Ragnarok.Zirael said:
Haste+3% and BlueMagic+5? Feel free to give better options for the slots.
Mirage/Morrigan's, Tiphia Sting/Smart Grenade
Quote:
Also, Nightfyre, instead of advocating STR 8+8 on swords, start working on getting yourself Atma of Stout Arm and Atma of Voracious Violet. Most things outside abyssea are too weak now, regardless of what sword you're using.
BLU is still likely uncapped pDIF, should not be using both atmas simultaneously (refresh atma where?), and the STR still affects spells.

Outside content only reinforces my point given how useless accuracy is on old content. You basically autocap hitrate these days on 75 cap stuff.
Quote:
For me Haste and capping ACC for TP would be the way to go. Unless your damage comes mostly from meeling, Attack does very little to you. And having that much ACC for multihit spells on swords lets you load more STR/DEX/VIT in armor slots. Aside from Quad.Cont. DEX is modifier for all multihits that matter.
I use a full damage set on my multihits and still cap accuracy. Your point?
 Shiva.Tenrio
user: Tenrio
By Shiva.Tenrio 2010-09-20 22:18:10  
Wait wait wait wait... you're saying people are wasting slots on gear that could be better and yet you're TPing in Amemet+1 instead of going for broke and just using Forager's? Or my gosh, some accuracy with Sharpeye mantle and throw some other stats elsewhere?

If you don't mind I'd like to see this TP gear/Casting gear.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5