By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 02:28:08  
Siren.Vonn said:
but you should make a STR dagger instead
 Siren.Vonn
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: VonnTaru
By Siren.Vonn 2010-09-01 02:33:09  
I never use my thf for DD, really... just endgame TH4 and farming. i am more thinking of what would be most beneficial to my alliance when i hit the mob wit an added effect.
 Asura.Karbuncle
サーバ: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-09-01 02:37:51  
Most DD should easily cap Accuracy, so definitely a Defense Down one.
 Fenrir.Tool
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-09-01 02:39:38  
Overall DEF down would benefit almost everyone for increasing damage and kill rate.

However, Eva Down is also appealing, especially if a majority of your active DDs specialize in multi-hits. Gives a little more freedom to use certain pieces of gear which they would normally need accuracy.
But to get the most of that would be unlikely as very few DDs I know of have a "acc up" or "eva down" WS set based on those two conditions.

But I would pick between DEF down between those two personally.
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
サーバ: Alexander
user: xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2010-09-01 02:39:48  
It's situational if your dd's are not capped acc the -eva one will win. If they are the -def one will pull ahead. The -atk and -acc ones are next to useless for endgame, but the -acc one might be use full for solo.

Edit: I was beat T.T
 Ifrit.Eikechi
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-01 02:40:11  
but most end-game shells have atleast 1 drg for angon, and this overrides angon and i dont think the effect is as strong...if i HAD to choose one of those, i'd choose the acc- one for mobs you dont blink tank (though thats rare...) but all the other ones are bleh (feint is good -evade as it is, and angon is good for a -def effect..and -att is moot if you are blink tanking (which most mobs are done that way))
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-09-01 02:46:22  
Well then, assuming you always have a DRG, always have someone blink-tanking, and your feint recast is fully merited, go for -acc >_>
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-09-01 02:52:08  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
but most end-game shells have atleast 1 drg for angon, and this overrides angon and i dont think the effect is as strong...if i HAD to choose one of those, i'd choose the acc- one for mobs you dont blink tank (though thats rare...) but all the other ones are bleh (feint is good -evade as it is, and angon is good for a -def effect..and -att is moot if you are blink tanking (which most mobs are done that way))

In situations where you're fighting multiple enemies, (Limbus, Dynamis, Einherjar, etc, If you even bring THF to Einherjar >.> lol) Angon can't be applied to every mob, Not realistically anyway, the DEF Down one would be nice.

For Solo on farm-type mobs (Generally lower level than the THF) the -DEF one would be the best i'd think as well, since a THF With capped evasion would cap EVA on almost anything DC and lower =0.

For most Single-monster endgame events, (HNMs, Abyssea, etc) the -EVA one might be nice because what you listed, DRG's and Angon =x.

Either way, the DEF down or the EVA down is probably your best bet o-o;
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-01 02:52:28  
well 95% or so (i'd say) of end-game mobs are blink tanked I would say. and its not hard to cap acc for most DD's (pizza is very very nice these days, and sushi has always been nice)
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-09-01 02:58:02  
Yah but wouldn't most mobs you end up blink tanking (Rather it be PLD, SAM, MNK, etc) Already basically have capped Accuracy on you making a small decrease in their accuracy next to futile?

I guess it depends on the mob i guess x.x;

I hate not having a 1 sure fire answer D:, I'd say upgrade 2, the DEF- one and the EVA- one, that way you get the best of both =x, Dual wield go.

Time-sink go XD
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-01 03:01:03  
idk Karb. Slow II + Para II + elegy make most mobs easily blink-tankable from what I understand anyways...since ni recast isn't that bad with haste and haste gear and march (I know not everything you fight is gonna have a brd/rdm or cor (castor's roll ftw)...but you get the point).
 Leviathan.Dissonant
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 03:16:00  
Everyone makes good points, which is why I mentioned the STR dagger. Honestly, you should be DDing on THF as hard as you can since more damage is always beneficial when you're working with a bunch of melee dds anyway. The STR dagger wins this conversation because it is consistent, though your setup may not be. It's a nice all-around weapon. Of course, if you don't really want your THF to DD, there's nothing I can say to change your mind. :P
 Siren.Vonn
By Siren.Vonn 2010-09-01 03:19:10  
I have been leaning heavily toward def down for sure. just needed confirmation. i think i'll go with it... atleast for my first kila. thanks ^^
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-09-01 03:20:28  
Sadly THF cannot and will not measure up to the top tier DDs of the game such as SAM, WAR, DRK, etc.

So although he can pull decent numbers, he has the most ideal mindset in aiding your party/alliance by giving what is needed most: TH and melee based debuffs to aid everyone.
 Siren.Vonn
By Siren.Vonn 2010-09-01 03:36:11  
Fenrir.Tool said:
Sadly THF cannot and will not measure up to the top tier DDs of the game such as SAM, WAR, DRK, etc.

So although he can pull decent numbers, he has the most ideal mindset in aiding your party/alliance by giving what is needed most: TH and melee based debuffs to aid everyone.
Not to mention i am a taru... it's hard enough to do decent DD on my heavy dd jobs x.x
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 03:45:33  
Fenrir.Tool said:

Agreed, THF can't measure up and agreed, he has a good mindset. I am just saying that the most beneficial thing all around would be to maximize your own DD. Also in places like dynamis, good luck getting an additional effect proc before the mob dies.
 Siren.Vonn
By Siren.Vonn 2010-09-01 03:50:32  
Leviathan.Dissonant said:
Fenrir.Tool said:

Agreed, THF can't measure up and agreed, he has a good mindset. I am just saying that the most beneficial thing all around would be to maximize your own DD. Also in places like dynamis, good luck getting an additional effect proc before the mob dies.
LOL I know right! In dynamis, i am lucky if i can get gd TH on the mob before my DD's demolish it... It's such a joke now XD. But as for other situations like new nm's in abyssea and whatnot, i like to be able to add support on my thf, where my dd lacks.
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 04:26:55  
Yeah, I could see it being a lot more help on single monsters fought over a long period of time (in comparison to maximizing your own dd with the str dagger), though I'm not really sure on the implications of +15 or the proc rate in general... is it -15 defense or 15% defense? I'd lean toward percent, but that's a pretty crazy amount considering that's what dia 3 does for 40 MP. Also, no idea if the additional effect procs overwrite themselves, though I'm willing to bet they do. I'm sure someone somewhere knows all that.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-09-01 04:55:38  
I believe with most Augment items like that the "En-Effect: Blahblah+15" the Blahblah is the Proc rate on the weapon, not the effect %.

Though, ironically, the Defense down i think was measured at around 15%

Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 06:08:40  
Asura.Karbuncle said:
I believe with most Augment items like that the "En-Effect: Blahblah+15" the Blahblah is the Proc rate on the weapon, not the effect %.

Though, ironically, the Defense down i think was measured at around 15%

Ohhh, okay :) 15% would be a pretty significant boost for your other DDs, though, to be sure. Well, not yours, but Vonn's/in general. 15% seems like a lowish proc rate...I wonder how long the effect lasts approximately.
 Shiva.Superdan
サーバ: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-09-01 07:06:48  
Siren.Vonn said:

Would the STR dagger actually be better than the DEX or AGI dagger though?

I personally would be opting for them over STR. Not only are you getting nice boosts in melee TP gain (DEX & Acc is nice for DDing) and survivability (AGI & Eva for solo or tanking as thf) but you'd also be getting an extra nice SA or TA boost. I haven't exactly done math on it, but it's what I'd expect. Honestly, I never look to THF for a DD though, I'm more thinking of "How can I get more hate onto X".

Just my two cents.

(Btw, I'd also say go for def down.. The proc rate is very high, much higher than 15%.. and next update it should logically be upgraded to 20%.. Equal to angon.. I use the def down polearm as DRG & love it, having it on a dagger should have it proc'ing real fast.)
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 07:39:58  
Shiva.Superdan said:
Siren.Vonn said:

Would the STR dagger actually be better than the DEX or AGI dagger though?

I personally would be opting for them over STR. Not only are you getting nice boosts in melee TP gain (DEX & Acc is nice for DDing) and survivability (AGI & Eva for solo or tanking as thf) but you'd also be getting an extra nice SA or TA boost. I haven't exactly done math on it, but it's what I'd expect. Honestly, I never look to THF for a DD though, I'm more thinking of "How can I get more hate onto X".

Just my two cents.

(Btw, I'd also say go for def down.. The proc rate is very high, much higher than 15%.. and next update it should logically be upgraded to 20%.. Equal to angon.. I use the def down polearm as DRG & love it, having it on a dagger should have it proc'ing real fast.)
The AGI daggers are more just for eva tanking sets. DEX vs STR is a different story, though, and depends on the gear of each particular THF and the situations they end up in. I'm not a THF myself, but I do know that one STR dagger WILL raise your fSTR which is pretty awesome, not to mention the fact that the +15 attack is insane for multi-hit weapon skills. I'm the DEX dagger would be better suited toward mandalic stabs and sneak attacks, though. Of course, if your accuracy isn't capped, the DEX dagger will probably be better, but it's more like a temporary fix for your accuracy with a weapon that takes a lot of effort to obtain. The STR dagger should last you longer, I think. Again, though, I'm not a THF and don't fully understand the extent of DEX's boost on sneak attack damage because it doesn't come up too often for me. Though I would assume the fSTR and attack is more beneficial to your damage because it is active constantly whilst DEX is only active during your weapon skills/sneak attacks.

EDIT: Wasn't finished!
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2010-09-01 07:55:06  
Don't forget to factor in whether the accuracy bonus from the DEX kila will allow you to use pizza instead of sushi, as the attack bonus from pizza should outweigh the attack bonus gained from using the STR kila.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-09-01 08:04:45  

The AGI daggers are more just for eva tanking sets. DEX vs STR is a different story, though, and depends on the gear of each particular THF and the situations they end up in. I'm not a THF myself, but I do know that one STR dagger WILL raise your fSTR which is pretty awesome, not to mention the fact that the +15 attack is insane for multi-hit weapon skills. I'm the DEX dagger would be better suited toward mandalic stabs and sneak attacks, though. Of course, if your accuracy isn't capped, the DEX dagger will probably be better, but it's more like a temporary fix for your accuracy with a weapon that takes a lot of effort to obtain. The STR dagger should last you longer, I think. Again, though, I'm not a THF and don't fully understand the extent of DEX's boost on sneak attack damage because it doesn't come up too often for me. Though I would assume the fSTR and attack is more beneficial to your damage because it is active constantly whilst DEX is only active during your weapon skills/sneak attacks. EDIT: Wasn't finished!

DEX has similar increments to D as fSTR during SA which is the bulk of THF DMG. The only time STR would beat it is when you're capping dDEX, that aside THF is usually undercapping attack considerably, 1fSTR wouldn't beat lowering the enemy's defense by 15% unless your attack is capped, which is extremely unlikely.

Edit: Also, attack isn't gonna do much for WS aside from Mandalic due to it's .66 multiplier. And AGI daggers are situationally good for TA.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 08:05:03  
Quetzalcoatl.Natlow said:
Don't forget to factor in whether the accuracy bonus from the DEX kila will allow you to use pizza instead of sushi, as the attack bonus from pizza should outweigh the attack bonus gained from using the STR kila.
Well, my point was kinda that your other gear should be making up for your accuracy since you can't fit STR/attack in other slots very easily, but you do bring up a valid point. Food is a huge factor in your damage.
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 08:08:40  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
DEX has similar increments to D as fSTR during SA which is the bulk of THF DMG. The only time STR would beat it is when you're capping dDEX, that aside THF is usually undercapping attack considerably, 1fSTR wouldn't beat lowering the enemy's defense by 15% unless your attack is capped, which is extremely unlikely.
Ahh, I see. Well in that case, the DEX dagger seems like a great choice.
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 08:11:51  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Edit: Also, attack isn't gonna do much for WS aside from Mandalic due to it's .66 multiplier. And AGI daggers are situationally good for TA.
I should probably stop posting on THF topics. >.> Though all multi-hit weapon skills benefit greatly from attack
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-09-01 08:33:01  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
I should probably stop posting on THF topics. >.> Though all multi-hit weapon skills benefit greatly from attack
yes u should or you might get stabbed with a trident :O to da heart with chu QQ

Edit: saw daggers :O I did a str+6 att+16 and an agi+6 eva+16 combo for my dnc :O that way all around good stats if used together :O or can swap the str dagger out for another eva if needed >.> possibly work same for thf?
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2010-09-01 08:55:34  
Leviathan.Angelskiss said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
yes u should or you might get stabbed with a trident :O to da heart with chu QQ

Edit: saw daggers :O I did a str+6 att+16 and an agi+6 eva+16 combo for my dnc :O that way all around good stats if used together :O or can swap the str dagger out for another eva if needed >.> possibly work same for thf?

I'd go for Auric dagger/DEX kila on thf, as Darkanaseur said, each point of DEX raises your base damage by one for SA, and so +6 DEX is a very nice bonus.

Sure, the AGI kilas are very nice for soloing/eva tanking, but shouldn't really be used outside of those scenarios. And the STR kilas are great if you've capped accuracy, but that's going to be pretty rare on anything serious. Even then, if you've capped accuracy, investigate whether you can use pizza as the DEX kila may give you enough accuracy to do so.
First Page 2