users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » ninja/ranger
ninja/ranger
 Bismarck.Aryden
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-02-01 17:47:35  
i can still do 1500~ as nin/rng to birds. While Tping in haste/acc gear. shits and giggle though, blade: jin please
[+]
 Odin.Rues
サーバ: Odin
user: Rues
By Odin.Rues 2010-02-01 17:51:12  
Many of these posts try to answer the question:

"How do you {Ranged Attack} and tank at the same time?"

In some situations, you may not be the tank but the secondary tank and it may be a kiting situation rather than a melee situation.

This also assumes that ninja is either your only job or best suited job. For me, ninja is my only DD/Tank job (and it isn't even 75 yet), so if you want a DD out of me, ninja is what you are going to get.

If you are looking at nin/rng in an exp party. I think it may work if you are not expected to tank. Other jobs may fill the role of DD better but you are leveling ninja, not another DD.

Has anyone tried nin/rng at Kirin or something similar? (Kited obviously.)
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-02-01 17:54:33  
Bismarck.Aryden said:
i can still do 1500~ as nin/rng to birds. While Tping in haste/acc gear. shits and giggle though, blade: jin please

any job that can use guns or bows /rng can do 1500 on birds. Maybe SE should of just put birds for all the mobs in this game because it seems like every 1 just talks about what they can do on birds lol I guess people just play this game for Bird meripo..... 0.0
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-02-01 17:55:06  
Does this thread remind anyone of that complete fail thread about rdm/rng and how good it was?

Not saying anything about how good or bad Nin/rng might be maybe a campaign sub? I don't really know..I just couldn't help but laugh when I remembered the rdm/rng debate.
 Bismarck.Maxse
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 17:57:49  
Odin.Rues said:
Many of these posts try to answer the question: "How do you {Ranged Attack} and tank at the same time?" In some situations, you may not be the tank but the secondary tank and it may be a kiting situation rather than a melee situation. This also assumes that ninja is either your only job or best suited job. For me, ninja is my only DD/Tank job (and it isn't even 75 yet), so if you want a DD out of me, ninja is what you are going to get. If you are looking at nin/rng in an exp party. I think it may work if you are not expected to tank. Other jobs may fill the role of DD better but you are leveling ninja, not another DD. Has anyone tried nin/rng at Kirin or something similar? (Kited obviously.)

Kirin is super evasive and has super high defense, if ninja is your only job youd be best off tank kiting him or tanking his summons. Without being heavily buffed by 2 or 3 support jobs(huge waste of resources) I dont see a nin/rng being able to hit him reliably at all and when you do land a hit the damage will be very meager.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-01 17:59:16  
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Does this thread remind anyone of that complete fail thread about rdm/rng and how good it was?

Not saying anything about how good or bad Nin/rng might be maybe a campaign sub? I don't really know..I just couldn't help but laugh when I remembered the rdm/rng debate.

I remember that thread, iirc that guy posted SS's of his awsome DMG as RDM/RNG done on DC-T weapons in ro'mave?

And RDM does have D skill in archery while NIN got C in marksmanship, not alot of different, still some though.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-02-01 18:03:15  
As a career RNG this might come as a surprise, but NIN/RNG is actually decent - and more importantly, great fun. They have access to a lot of accuracy gear which means their accuracy isn't too bad. Supplement this with a BRD or COR buff and you're sorted.

Now of course, you'll never outperform a RNG (unless they're really bad,) or even a Corsair; but you won't be doing horrifically bad damage... And it is good fun... =)
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 18:05:46  
Garuda.Wooooodum said:
As a career RNG this might come as a surprise, but NIN/RNG is actually decent - and more importantly, great fun. They have access to a lot of accuracy gear which means their accuracy isn't too bad. Supplement this with a BRD or COR buff and you're sorted. Now of course, you'll never outperform a RNG (unless they're really bad,) or even a Corsair; but you won't be doing horrifically bad damage... And it is good fun... =)

And youll be wasting your resourses that should be going toward your Blade: Jin build. Go ahead and do it but just know before you do, its a waste of time.
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-02-01 18:09:18  
Cor/rng or Sam/rng(w relic bow) all other jobs GTFO

XD
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 18:12:28  
Odin.Kalico said:
RNG or Cor/rng or Sam/rng(w relic bow) all other jobs GTFO XD
[+]
 Ragnarok.Faiye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: xFaiyex
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-02-01 18:14:31  
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Garuda.Wooooodum said:
As a career RNG this might come as a surprise, but NIN/RNG is actually decent - and more importantly, great fun. They have access to a lot of accuracy gear which means their accuracy isn't too bad. Supplement this with a BRD or COR buff and you're sorted. Now of course, you'll never outperform a RNG (unless they're really bad,) or even a Corsair; but you won't be doing horrifically bad damage... And it is good fun... =)

And youll be wasting your resourses that should be going toward your Blade: Jin build. Go ahead and do it but just know before you do, its a waste of time.

Um...NIN/RNG still has access to blade:jin and for that matter equipment swaps >.> NIN/RNG melee's in full DD gear and only swaps /RNG specific gear for Weapon Skills. They are not meant to build TP using /rng attack.
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 18:20:49  
Ragnarok.Faiye said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Um...NIN/RNG still has access to blade:jin and for that matter equipment swaps >.> NIN/RNG melee's in full DD gear and only swaps /RNG specific gear for Weapon Skills. They are not meant to build TP using /rng attack.

Why would you bother using Blade: jin if you were subbing ranger? You are already wasting your time and making a bad choice now you want to use blade: Jin /rng and make that bad choice even worse?

I didnt say anything about them meleeing in Ranged attack/acc gear. Just said that Slugshot gear was a waste of resources (time/gil/inventory space) that whould be going towards other builds first. ( important builds like your blade: jin build or any of the other bunch of builds that are more important than a slugshot build)

BTW the OP just hit 60 nin so dont tell me his other builds are done and dont need work.
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 18:30:04  
MT double post.

[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 18:30:36  
I find it rude that all you can do is rate down each of my posts Faiye and not even make a valid point. Sorry If I am tired of every new up and comming X job wanting to try out X/Y job combination, then people getting all butthurt when people that tried it give them thier insight on it. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel this game has been out for 7 + years.

[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-01 18:31:34  
Maxse said:
What is so fun about using a D- weapon

[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-02-01 18:56:15  
Bismarck.Maxse said:

Yeah, seriously dude. That's what macros are for. Only thing NIN/RNG loses is provoke. My argument isn't that NIN/RNG is good or ideal; but it's fun and damage wise, not totally worthless.

I would invite a NIN/WAR over a NIN/RNG, but then I wouldn't go nazi on the NIN/RNG for being NIN/RNG... if you catch my drift? Open mindedness is good for the soul and all that~ =D
Odin.Rues said:
Has anyone tried nin/rng at Kirin or something similar? (Kited obviously.)

You would require so much accuracy gear that it would be pointless. You'd probably output more damage spamming the elemental wheel as /BLM.
[+]
 Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-02-01 19:12:27  
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Ragnarok.Faiye said:
Yes, I have both jobs lvld and I have tried it. Many years back it used to be a popular if not unconventional combination. It offers much more consistent weapon skill output than Blade:Jin, and of course it relies heavily on equipment swapping to make it work well. NIN's marksmanship is realistically at a usable level, not unlike SAM/RNG. The difference is you can pull a mob with Slugshot, Barrage, Slugshot, and keep fighting without having to worry about being an MP sink because of superior evasion and multiple shadows. Since the many job updates to the game it is no longer as viable and is pretty much forgotten by the FFXI community. Here is a 2006 thread from Allakhazam that discusses NIN/RNG in detail. If you interested to know how to put together a build for it you may find it very informative: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=12;mid=114919284051047883;num=0;page=1

The biggest difference between SAM/RNG and NIN/RNG though is SAM has access to good ammo bow vs NIN having only acess to crappy ammo and crappy guns.

coffinmaker crappy?
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 19:42:37  
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Ragnarok.Faiye said:
Yes, I have both jobs lvld and I have tried it. Many years back it used to be a popular if not unconventional combination. It offers much more consistent weapon skill output than Blade:Jin, and of course it relies heavily on equipment swapping to make it work well. NIN's marksmanship is realistically at a usable level, not unlike SAM/RNG. The difference is you can pull a mob with Slugshot, Barrage, Slugshot, and keep fighting without having to worry about being an MP sink because of superior evasion and multiple shadows. Since the many job updates to the game it is no longer as viable and is pretty much forgotten by the FFXI community. Here is a 2006 thread from Allakhazam that discusses NIN/RNG in detail. If you interested to know how to put together a build for it you may find it very informative: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=12;mid=114919284051047883;num=0;page=1

The biggest difference between SAM/RNG and NIN/RNG though is SAM has access to good ammo bow vs NIN having only acess to crappy ammo and crappy guns.

coffinmaker crappy?

Yes it is when paired with iron bullets ask any ranger gun damage comes from the bullet not the gun itself. 40 + 55 = 95 damage vs rangers getting 42 damage gun + 81 damage bullet = 123 damage is 29% more damage.
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 19:43:27  
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Maxse said:
What is so fun about using a D- weapon

Yes you are right I was guessing I was at work and couldnt check wiki but the end is still the same, its a waste of time imo.
 Fenrir.Parak
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Parak 2010-02-01 19:59:23  
NIN/RNG is fun in ballista ;)
 Ragnarok.Faiye
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-02-01 20:11:13  
Bismarck.Maxse said:
I find it rude that all you can do is rate down each of my posts Faiye and not even make a valid point. Sorry If I am tired of every new up and comming X job wanting to try out X/Y job combination, then people getting all butthurt when people that tried it give them thier insight on it. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel this game has been out for 7 years.

It wasn't me doing the rate downs, I actually stepped out after my last post and am just now coming back. And you're right, the game has been out for all this time and within that time it has been PROVEN already that NIN/RNG was a viable option that was comparable to NIN/WAR...in 2006. There are other options that are much better options.

I'm not a new "up and coming X job" I've been here since the game was released, I've tried NIN/RNG already and I know it CAN work and its a fun combo to play. I speak from experience, not theorycraft.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Carste
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2010-02-02 11:39:18  
okay I tried it for the first time last night and had a "Blast" (pun intended). now I was just doing pages with this so the mobs were all EP, I still need to test this in an unsynced experience party. But so far, I had a lot of fun with it.

Let's not forget this is a game, and we should have fun right?
 Diabolos.Ghlin
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-02-02 12:52:05  
NIN/RNG might be viable w/ a COR in the party for DPS in a 57-64 bird party. Use your Gun or w/e, and attack from the rear using DPS from Katanas. Blade: Jin isn't that great tbh. If Hunter's Roll and Sushi is enough to get Slug Shot to hit consistently, you'd TP on Melee and WS w/ Ranged. I think there's potential.

You'd almost need an LS party to try this out though. If you're LFP on NIN, you're going to most likely be *needed* to tank b/c no one else can. And if you are tanking, you are /WAR.

Fenrir.Krazyrs
サーバ: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-02-02 13:11:19  
Quote:
And if you are tanking, you are /WAR.
lie i tanked 40-63ish as /rdm for MAB+FC with ni wheel

found it harder to hold hate once u hit reflected colibris as /war
but maybe it was because DD got better skills 60+
 Fairy.Akiba
サーバ: Fairy
user: Akiba
By Fairy.Akiba 2010-02-02 13:26:23  
Maxse, you are obviously just an elitist. Someone who believes in the "if it hasnt been used then it must suck" state of mind. People are still figuring things out about this game. I still remember when everyone got the bright idea in order to to sub DRK for Stun... it was a revolution!

Now i am not saying this will supplant all DDs but with the speed a NIN can build TP, especially with the ACC bonus from /rng and barrage as well as the large amount of RACC and RATK gear available (not to mention pot au feu) then i can see someone, geared correctly, that could make this work.

Ignoring something for no other reason then being an elitist is ignorant.
 Ragnarok.Faiye
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-02-02 18:49:04  
Fairy.Akiba said:
Maxse, you are obviously just an elitist. Someone who believes in the "if it hasnt been used then it must suck" state of mind. People are still figuring things out about this game. I still remember when everyone got the bright idea in order to to sub DRK for Stun... it was a revolution!

Now i am not saying this will supplant all DDs but with the speed a NIN can build TP, especially with the ACC bonus from /rng and barrage as well as the large amount of RACC and RATK gear available (not to mention pot au feu) then i can see someone, geared correctly, that could make this work.

Ignoring something for no other reason then being an elitist is ignorant.

Agreed, as things change over time and the game evolves, previously unthinkable ideas start to become viable. I remember a time when people playing SAM were "Hagun or GTFO" now its "lolHagun" because people realized that SAM has a high enough polearm skill to be usable on merit birds.

I actually forgot about the accuracy bonus granted to Innin. With the /RNG accuracy bonus and the Innin accuracy bonus it shouldn't be terribly difficult to cap melee swings at 60. That would make it quite nice for building TP to fire slugshot. Oh..and yes Blade:Jin does suck at 60.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-02 18:51:06  
Fairy.Akiba said:
Maxse, you are obviously just an elitist. Someone who believes in the "if it hasnt been used then it must suck" state of mind.
That's not an elitist, that's a moron. The elitist would be able to figure it out with the math behind the game.
 Ragnarok.Faiye
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-02-02 18:54:46  
Pheonix.Liselle said:
About ranged accuracy, when you gear up a NIN/RNG properly -- aka the reason for this goddamned thread -- they can hit just fine with their C rating. You have +22 racc just from /RNG, +18 racc that RNG's can't even equip, a whole boatload of vanilla racc, and eating sushi for chrissakes. C-rating my ***. NIN/RNG is only 13 points of skill behind a real RNG at 60, and only 6 points behind a RNG/lite, and a RNG that's wearing even modest gear can hit 85-90% racc unless you're severely overhunting. Granted they have a higher Acc Up trait, but guns are only used in this combo for Slugs and for Barrage (which will always be paired with Sharpshot).

Here is a quote (from a 2006 thread) that I think sums it up rather nicely.
[+]
 Fairy.Akiba
user: Akiba
By Fairy.Akiba 2010-02-03 12:22:10  
Vegetto... i wanna listen to you but i can only stare at your avatar... which makes me forget everything else
 Diabolos.Ghlin
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-02-08 13:58:06  
"lie i tanked 40-63ish as /rdm for MAB+FC with ni wheel"

regardless, you're not /RNG. also, /RDM is another discussion.