フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » ninja/ranger
ninja/ranger
First Page 2
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Carste
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2010-02-01 16:42:19  
What do you think? Has anyone tried it or partied with one? Ninja and Ranger are my two favorite jobs in the game. Just barely hit 60 with my ninja. So what if I were to equip a gun and use iron bullets. I have a peacock charm and ninja tekko for the ranged attack and accuracy. Does a level 60 ninja have access to slugshot? (ranger has it at 54.) If so, you could be pulling with a gun, and throw in some barrages, and slugshots for some pretty nice damage. Of course you wouldn't have voke for tanking, but if you got hate of the bat at beginning of battle, most fights won't last long enough to matter. Thoughts?
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-01 16:49:53  
NIN get slug shot at 57 if subbing rng. no idea if it'll work, but it sounds fun. maybe put a few marksman merits on it as well?
 Remora.Thiefninja
サーバ: Remora
user: Gawdless
By Remora.Thiefninja 2010-02-01 16:51:36  
Ninja gets SS at lvl 57. and no it wouldnt be a good idea. not only would you most likely miss without food (assuming your killing birds) but the fact that they take your tp faster than you get it to 100 (most of the time) you will not be able to keep hate, and even if some fights you get off a SS and actually hit your pt will most likely wonder why they have a nin if 75% of the time he isnt the one tanking and is doing gimp damage. bottom line, I honestly doubt nin/rng will be good vs birds or any other pt unless you have a thf for sata.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-01 16:53:52  
hmm, maybe with SATA and on non-food eating mobs with marksman merits. still sounds fun though
 Remora.Beltenebros
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Beltenebros 2010-02-01 16:57:49  
I remember reading about this as a non-traditional tanking sub with the idea being you'd spam Shuriken (much lower delay than a gun) to the point that you'd make up for the lack of voke. This philosophy has one major drawback: Shuriken, like so much Shogun Riceballs, do not exist in any great quantity on almost any server's AH... and when they do pop up, they're ridiculously expensive. SE really screwed the pooch when it came to Throwing, and I maintain if they had added Throwing weaponskills more people would consider it as a skill to flesh out.

At any rate, that's really neither here nor there. If you're using a gun it may well work, but you'll need to (obviously) load up on as much +R.Acc gear as possible: using an innately inaccurate WS (while under Innin? What? I'm a sucker for alliteration) is bad enough, but when you factor in NIN's mighty C rating in Marksmanship the prospects of a viable build seem rather iffy.

This isn't meant to discourage you by any means, but it's something to consider in planning your build.
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2010-02-01 16:59:10  
you bring up some good points with birds. And yes if there was SATA involved then that would help with hate. In terms of gear, I could keep sairen in main hand, and off hand an archer's knife. That coupled with peacock charm, and 2 sniper rings, then all of a sudden I'm getting up there in ranged accuracy. Don't forget I could use sharpshot, and barrage for the TP if necessary.

Of course this setup wouldn't be the DD that other jobs would be, but the whole idea would be to take an unconvential approach to something that I enjoy doing
 Bismarck.Maxse
サーバ: Bismarck
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 16:59:27  
IF you wanna do damage with ranged attacks on bird go rng/nin >_>
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 17:02:21  
And as far as if you wanna tank on ninja and do damge, youll do more damage with katanas and jin using dd gear than knifes and SS using ranged acc gear. You said you just hit 60? my advice is to work on your str/dex/acc gear for jin at 60 you should be able to hit 400ish reliably and clos to 800ish at 75 with the right gear. (my numbers my be a little off my 75 nin has been banned for a long time.)
[+]
 Asura.Subzorro
サーバ: Asura
user: Tuxedo
By Asura.Subzorro 2010-02-01 17:03:24  
delete thread... before people notice.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2010-02-01 17:04:44  
Bismarck.Maxse said:

Thank you so much!!!

also wanted to add I already have a thunder's mantle and volant belt, both which ninja can use. at anyrate I'm trying this out tonight while solo'ing.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-01 17:05:22  
Bismarck.Maxse said:

Yep, good advice right there. Obviously if you wanna try to have fun while leveling Ninja best way to do it is to go RNG/NIN

/sacrasm
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 17:08:45  
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Yep, good advice right there. Obviously if you wanna try to have fun while leveling Ninja best way to do it is to go RNG/NIN /sacrasm

What is so fun about using a D- weapon with a WS thats inaccurate enough as is just for a 20% piercing damage bonus, putting out low numbers is not fun for me anyway.

You are asking for peoples opinions well this is mine comming from someone who has tried nin/rng a long time ago and was 75 nin years ago, just doesnt work that well imo.
[+]
 Hades.Cheyne
サーバ: Hades
user: Cheyne
By Hades.Cheyne 2010-02-01 17:10:40  
Only time I used nin/rng was in PvP 60 caps 2 years ago and it was fun. :D I also tried it on Lesser Colibri when I was around 60 and it hit for pretty good damage.

I think with the right gear (i.e. off hand M.kris) and someone else tanking ofc, it could be decent.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-01 17:12:17  
@ Maxse

obvious troll is obvious.

He wasn't asking which job is good on birds. He asked about NIN/RNG, if you have tried it before as you say you have, why not give him some advice on how to do it, what to think of rather than just "Go RNG"?

its the same as every PLD DD thread out there.

Q: "Whats the best DD gear for PLD"?
A: "Go level SAM"

Thats not an answer to the question, is it?
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-01 17:13:07  
I've not read up much on the effects Yonin has on Ranged Accuracy, but if the only accuracy rating it affects is Melee Accuracy, then Yonin could maybe make up the enmity to help hold hate.

For the most part, NIN can get some decent RAcc/Throwing+ skill at 60 if I remember right.

Shark Gun (+5 RAcc)
Altdorf's Earring (+1 RAcc)
Beater's Earring (+3 RAcc /RNG)
Hurling Belt (+4 RAcc, +5 Throwing)
Bailathorn (+3 RAcc)
Jaridah Peti (+5 RAcc)
Jaridah Salvars (+2 RAcc)
Jaridah Nails (+2 RAcc)
Scorpion Ring +1 x2 (+16 RAcc)
Ninja Hakama (+10 RAcc)
Ninja Tekko (+5 Throwing)
Thunderer's Mantle (+4 RAcc)
PCC/PCA (+10 RAcc)

Total RAcc: +62
Total Throwing Skill: +10

/RNG Accuracy Bonus: +22 Acc/RAcc

Final Total: +84 RAcc, +10 Throwing Skill~

Using a full Ranged Attack / Throwing build, you should easily be able to land most of your shots, even with a C skill like Marksmanship.
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 17:14:52  
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
@ Maxse obvious troll is obvious. He wasn't asking which job is good on birds. He asked about NIN/RNG, if you have tried it before as you say you have, why not give him some advice on how to do it, what to think of rather than just "Go RNG"? its the same as every PLD DD thread out there. Q: "Whats the best DD gear for PLD"? A: "Go level SAM" Thats not an answer to the question, is it?

Just because I dont agree with your opinion I'm a troll. Thats funny.

In case you are blind I said if you wanna have fun and do damage on NINJA you are way better off with Blade: Jin and dual katanas.

I didn't say don't try It all I said was I tried it and found it to be worthless.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2010-02-01 17:15:42  
and correct me if I'm wrong but I think ninja is better than D- at markmanship, and Maxse, Zanno was just having fun with you, of course ranger is going to do better ranged attacks :)
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-01 17:16:52  
Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud said:
and correct me if I'm wrong but I think ninja is better than D- at markmanship, and Maxse, Zanno was just having fun with you, of course ranger is going to do better ranged attacks :)

NIN got C marksmanship
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 17:17:13  
How are you supposed to throw something with a gun equipped o.O
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2010-02-01 17:18:39  
Hitetsu, that was some really good information. I hadn't thought of ninja pants too. Thanks again.
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 17:20:04  
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
NIN got C marksmanship

Im sure everyone can agree RNG has the best ranged atrtacks, what Im saying is IMO Nin even with great gear + merits cant really get themselves to outdue thier katana and therefor IMO is a waste of time and effect to lose the inventory space and gil for.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Faiye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: xFaiyex
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-02-01 17:21:09  
Yes, I have both jobs lvld and I have tried it. Many years back it used to be a popular if not unconventional combination.

It offers much more consistent weapon skill output than Blade:Jin, and of course it relies heavily on equipment swapping to make it work well. NIN's marksmanship is realistically at a usable level, not unlike SAM/RNG. The difference is you can pull a mob with Slugshot, Barrage, Slugshot, and keep fighting without having to worry about being an MP sink because of superior evasion and multiple shadows.

Since the many job updates to the game it is no longer as viable and is pretty much forgotten by the FFXI community. Here is a 2006 thread from Allakhazam that discusses NIN/RNG in detail. If you interested to know how to put together a build for it you may find it very informative:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=12;mid=114919284051047883;num=0;page=1
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-01 17:21:15  
Bismarck.Maxse said:
How are you supposed to throw something with a gun equipped o.O

>.>... that would be a good question.

For some reason I forgot I put the gun there and I was basing the rest off Shurikens.

Two choices then, ignore the Throwing+ or use Shurikens over a gun =P
 Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-02-01 17:21:41  
What do you think? Has anyone tried it or partied with one? Ninja and Ranger are my two favorite jobs in the game. Just barely hit 60 with my ninja. So what if I were to equip a gun and use iron bullets. I have a peacock charm and ninja tekko for the ranged attack and accuracy. Does a level 60 ninja have access to slugshot? (ranger has it at 54.) If so, you could be pulling with a gun, and throw in some barrages, and slugshots for some pretty nice damage. Of course you wouldn't have voke for tanking, but if you got hate of the bat at beginning of battle, most fights won't last long enough to matter. Thoughts?

acp final fight nin/rng works well
 Unicorn.Kaomii
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Kaomii
By Unicorn.Kaomii 2010-02-01 17:22:52  
I did some number crunching a while back when Sam/Rng seemed like a good idea. At 75, Sam has 230 Archery. I have 8 merits into Archery to bring that number to 246. Without using food for accuracy, I'd need R.Acc in EVERY slot in order to get my R.Acc to 88% (give or take a couple %) on merit colibri, and that's not counting the estimated -40 R.Acc penalty Sidewinder gets. Eating sushi gave about 85% (again, give or take a couple %) with 246 skill, but sushi on birds isn't a good idea to begin with.

Ninja suffers even more because their base skill is 225, and the only real advantage they'd get over Samurai gearwise is AF+1 body. Ninja however does cap Throwing at 269, which explains why people have positive results with Shurikens for hate without sacrificing too much gear towards ranged accuracy.

tl;dr:
Nin/Rng with a gun is mathematically infeasible due to their low Marksmanship skill and the fact that you need to give up too much gear better used for tanking in order to make it "kind of" work. Nin/Rng might be fun for farming TWs or EPs or something, but you'd probably just make your party mad if you did it in an exp party. =\
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-02-01 17:25:00  
Ragnarok.Faiye said:
Yes, I have both jobs lvld and I have tried it. Many years back it used to be a popular if not unconventional combination. It offers much more consistent weapon skill output than Blade:Jin, and of course it relies heavily on equipment swapping to make it work well. NIN's marksmanship is realistically at a usable level, not unlike SAM/RNG. The difference is you can pull a mob with Slugshot, Barrage, Slugshot, and keep fighting without having to worry about being an MP sink because of superior evasion and multiple shadows. Since the many job updates to the game it is no longer as viable and is pretty much forgotten by the FFXI community. Here is a 2006 thread from Allakhazam that discusses NIN/RNG in detail. If you interested to know how to put together a build for it you may find it very informative: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=12;mid=114919284051047883;num=0;page=1

The biggest difference between SAM/RNG and NIN/RNG though is SAM has access to good ammo + bow vs NIN having only acess to crappy ammo and crappy guns.
[+]
 Hades.Rictor
user: Spoon
By Hades.Rictor 2010-02-01 17:28:28  
Let's pretend for a moment that nin isn't a tank (lolnintank anyway), but instead, makes a better solo job. If that's the case OP, you can /rng and use slugshot, and stack eva or attack gear, since you already get mad acc bonus from the /rng. When soloing T mobs you can deal with acc deficit of marksmanship pretty easily. At any rate, I prefer soloing to pting because Nin is incredibly fun when paired with different subs (rdm, thf, etc).

TL;DR: try /rng solo and say "screw tanking"
 Ragnarok.Faiye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: xFaiyex
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-02-01 17:38:51  
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Ragnarok.Faiye said:
Yes, I have both jobs lvld and I have tried it. Many years back it used to be a popular if not unconventional combination. It offers much more consistent weapon skill output than Blade:Jin, and of course it relies heavily on equipment swapping to make it work well. NIN's marksmanship is realistically at a usable level, not unlike SAM/RNG. The difference is you can pull a mob with Slugshot, Barrage, Slugshot, and keep fighting without having to worry about being an MP sink because of superior evasion and multiple shadows. Since the many job updates to the game it is no longer as viable and is pretty much forgotten by the FFXI community. Here is a 2006 thread from Allakhazam that discusses NIN/RNG in detail. If you interested to know how to put together a build for it you may find it very informative: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=12;mid=114919284051047883;num=0;page=1

The biggest difference between SAM/RNG and NIN/RNG though is SAM has access to good ammo bow vs NIN having only acess to crappy ammo and crappy guns.

Granted, the best combo a NIN will get is Coffinmaker + Iron Bullets. However, I remember reading that thread I posted from Allakhazam back in 2006 when it was still new. There were parses posted that proved (at least back then) that NIN/RNG not only worked well, but well enough to be in the top of the parses. I don't think the same will hold true nowadays with the job changes and the new discoveries in play styles, but it is still fun to mess around with, and I pull NIN/RNG out of the closet sometimes just for fun.
[+]
 Hades.Evilpaul
user: Evilpaul
By Hades.Evilpaul 2010-02-01 17:45:34  
I've tried NIN/RNG in Dynamis for lulz. I've got AF legs, Faith Torque, O.hat, etc. My Slugshots were doing damage that made Blade: Jin seem pretty good by comparison. That's when they didn't miss. Barrage was equally sorry.

If you want to be a DD NIN I'd suggest /WAR, Innin, Marinara Pizza, BRD/COR buffs, Haste, and a Haste build.

Shuriken as mentioned have high DPS, but no WS, and are stupidly expensive.
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
サーバ: Odin
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-02-01 17:45:40  
Yeah your better off just making Nin DD set up and just spam these "Fuma Shuriken" (30k to craft them) or these "Manji Shuriken" (15k to craft)using this with Nin hight throwing skill will out DD Nin/rng by far, and you won't waste slots on Ratt gear. Seems like a no brainer :0
[+]
First Page 2