New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » HQ Map Dats {Please Assist}
HQ Map Dats {Please Assist}
 Phoenix.Lazuras
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2010-01-20 18:41:44  
I've recently begun work on redrawing the in game maps. By default this is a relatively simple process. However I've decided to try my hand at using HQ images for the maps (i.e. 1024x1024 versus the default 512x512). The only snag in this plan is my ability to manipulate the system to get it to actually use a larger dimension texture for the maps.

Using a hex editor program I can rather easily import in the new larger image maps into the dat file as well as successfully get the dat to read with the proper dimensions and data size allocation. But, and this is a big but, I can't seem to get the game to actually display the larger image dat. What I mean is I place my new shiny 1024 file into a map dat but in game it only shows 512x512 of the top left quadrant of the new map.

Obviously this is not an intended result. I've got forum topics going over in FFXIdats.com and at Windower.net hoping someone there will find some way that I don't see. Still I figured I'd reach out here as well to broaden my chances at finding a solution.

If anyone can think of a solution I'd be extremely appreciative.

Here's a sampling of my maps:
Western Altepa Desert
Yuhtunga Jungle
[+]
 Asura.Israfel
サーバ: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-01-20 18:50:29  
You might have more luck asking the guys over at FFXIdats.com, they have a couple of people there that are pretty clued up on this. Though sometimes it might take a little time for a reply. I hope this helps and good luck ^^

Edit: Have you tried changetex at all? I've heard a few modders rave over that program and how useful they've found it when it comes to HQing items
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-01-20 18:51:38  
Nice work on the maps.

I have no idea though to make it work, but I have a related question. Is it possible to import map DAT files in order to have maps that you never got in game?
[+]
 Shiva.Darkshade
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-01-20 18:51:55  
This was something I was actually thinking about trying to do, but I didn't know if the game would like that size resolution and it appears it doesn't like anything besides the default... that is very sad. I wish you luck and hope you can figure out how to manipulate the game to work with the higher resolution maps. You might also consider releasing them when you finish so they can be converted to ApRadar/FFassist.

Again I wish you luck.
[+]
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2010-01-20 18:53:08  
unless you use ApRadar you'll have to unlock the map ingame for it to show, even toying with the dats won't help that one D: if that's what you mean? If not then my apologies ;)
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-01-20 18:54:31  
Asura.Israfel said:
unless you use ApRadar you'll have to unlock the map ingame for it to show, even toying with the dats won't help that one D: if that's what you mean? If not then my apologies ;)

Yep, thats what i meant lol. I have most of the maps in game but there's a few that I just dont feel like doing the quest for, like CN, too much of a hassle to be worth the trouble lol
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2010-01-20 18:56:48  
for that the only option is using ApRadar or tabbing to wiki a lot :P >< since the No Map .dat is recycled for all the zones you don't have the map for and this only changes when you unlock the map D:

Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-01-20 18:58:03  
Bummer D:
 Phoenix.Lazuras
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2010-01-20 19:01:27  
lol /derail

Man am I tired.

I actually use change tex along with a hex editor to alter the maps, but they still don't show properly. I'm at a loss because every other texture in game can be HQ'd and the game displays it fine.

I'm thinking there's a model somewhere for the maps the same as a piece of armor or weapon and I need to physically attach it the same way you do with HQ model textures, but I'm at a loss as to how to. Anywho, here's hoping.
 Ragnarok.Inga
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Inga
By Ragnarok.Inga 2010-01-20 19:03:47  
very nice quality, this is what the maps should have looked like in this game lol.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [3320 days between previous and next post]
By axetofall 2019-02-22 13:12:45  
I know this thread is a decade old but can you make more maps please cause the ones in game are pure ***
 Asura.Unholylilith
By Asura.Unholylilith 2019-03-03 13:40:07  
You have to log out of FFXI, go into Playonlie, then get back into FFXI, view map. Dont forget to edit your map into higher resolution, if you take a 512 and stretch it to 1024, it's still going to look lowres.

Just a guess but the dat actually contains multiple map qualities, which one is selected is determined by ffxi playonline tools. Just a guess.