フォーラム » FFXI » General » Eden: To my fellow XI brethren and sisters
Eden: To my fellow XI brethren and sisters
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2022-09-22 01:08:46  
I have heard the great reckoning is upon you. You have lost that beautiful buff duration data sent out by the Almighty 0x076 Packet, on this day the 21st of September, 2022 Earth. 09/01/1411, Firesday, Vana'diel.

Not all is lost though as you may know Retail invented this great data and it was then sucked up by the DarkLords that run those filthy 3rd party sometimes known as Era™ servers.

We will welcome you back to the almighty mostly virgin¹ Retail servers with open arms if you can cast away this Fake Nostalgia of the bygone 75 Era™ or even 99 Era™ and stop shouting it from the roof tops. Embrace the iLVL, the HP warps, the mounts, the wardrobes, and all the other QoL improvements.

What say you, will you make this sacrifice for your Master 0x076 Packet or forever be at the whim of some tyrannical DarkLord, that on a whim can do whatever pleases them?

¹ Stay away from Asura that mofo got STDs/STIs that even the greatest Galka scientists no not where to begin.

All jokes a side I found the lack of communication between Eden admins to be funny AF. Some knew it was happening others sitting there till the @s kept rolling in on DC. Have fun!
[+]
 Valefor.Esdain
サーバ: Valefor
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2022-09-22 02:02:08  
Asura.Chiaia said: »
¹ Stay away from Asura that mofo got STDs/STIs that even the greatest Galka scientists no not where to begin.

that may be, but for 15,000,000, someone will merc you a cure.
exp 1-60 1m 50-99 2m merit points 1m
[+]
 Bahamut.Galakar
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Galakar
By Bahamut.Galakar 2022-09-22 05:04:54  
So, of what drama I'm unaware?
VIP
By Lili 2022-09-22 06:32:10  
Bahamut.Galakar said: »
So, of what drama I'm unaware?

The Eden private server has changed their server software so that it no longer sends buff duration, making ingame buff timers disappear permanently, because THaT'S NoT eRa aPPRoPRiaTe. People are unhappy.
[+]
By Cloudius777 2022-09-22 06:36:48  
That’s amazing lol, they wanted the old experience, they get the old experience and hate it ?
 Bahamut.Balduran
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2022-09-22 06:51:43  
Holy ***... the taste of some people lol
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-09-22 06:57:58  
Cloudius777 said: »
That’s amazing lol, they wanted the old experience, they get the old experience and hate it ?

They also insta nuke anyone using plugins / addons. Anyone who's not playing The Correct Way isn't welcome amongst that community.
[+]
 Cerberus.Darkvlade
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Darkvlade
By Cerberus.Darkvlade 2022-09-22 07:09:32  
I loved 75 era like mostly everyone that played at start of game, but for ***'s sake, the exp grind was a nightmare of epic proportions, why would peeps want to go through that again is beyond me, to each its own I guess.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-09-22 07:40:03  
Cloudius777 said: »
That's what I'm always talking about. Everyone has different ideas for what QOL was healthy for the game and what QOL was unhealthy for the game. That's why we're never getting a classic server, because it would be completely impossible to please everyone.

Though one cardinal rule of any live service: never backtrack on a QOL that's already there. And if that's actually what's happened on Eden, I can only imagine player frustration. Especially since buff durations were one of those things that Windower added forever ago and most players have been using that since Era anyway lol
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2022-09-22 09:24:39  
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, especially when they don’t realize the important part was the friends you made along the way.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-09-22 09:47:17  
Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, especially when they don’t realize the important part was the friends you made along the way.
There's a bit more to it than just nostalgia. Current retail XI doesn't really start until level 99, and pretty much everything up to that point is inconsequential. More than half of the items and battle content in the game are pointless.

I think people genuinely miss the satisfaction of overcoming the Promyvion missions or the meaningfulness of beating a quest for that cool pair of boots because they're good for 10 levels on three of the jobs you're planning on leveling.

There's one server out there I heard about that has some sort of "New Game Plus" feature that resets all of your job levels back to 1 for the surprising number of players that actually like the grind.

I think if all this was "just nostalgia", people would have gotten tired of it all by now.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2022-09-22 10:23:10  
Asura Eden Sounds like a terrible place.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2022-09-22 10:44:56  
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »
There's a bit more to it than just nostalgia. Current retail XI doesn't really start until level 99, and pretty much everything up to that point is inconsequential. More than half of the items and battle content in the game are pointless.

I think people genuinely miss the satisfaction of overcoming the Promyvion missions or the meaningfulness of beating a quest for that cool pair of boots because they're good for 10 levels on three of the jobs you're planning on leveling.

There's one server out there I heard about that has some sort of "New Game Plus" feature that resets all of your job levels back to 1 for the surprising number of players that actually like the grind.

I think if all this was "just nostalgia", people would have gotten tired of it all by now.
This right here is why I miss the old 75 cap days. It felt good to beat something that was hard and challenging. If I ever joined 75 era server I wouldn't want timers or anything of the sort tbh. The whole point of the game was it was rewarding to do alot of that stuff back then.
 Valefor.Esdain
サーバ: Valefor
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2022-09-22 10:45:01  
If I really wanted the level 75 experience, I would create a linkshell for others that wanted to play that way as well. Then I would make a new character on retail and never complete any level cap beyond Maat (or later job specific version of their 71-75 cap fight).

I think it might be kind of much easier for people to god-tier gear their fresh level 75s to 75 era equipment too. I mean you could farm a Ridill on your main and mail it to your little level 75 char too. Also, abjurations equipment must be much cheaper as well.

Honestly though, the main thing that I miss about the 75 era are friends that have quit the game long ago. The real level 75 cap era game's fun was the friends we made along the way.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2022-09-22 11:18:27  
there's a lot of nonsense with era servers I never really get the appeal of. like, some are totally OK with things like Gearswap, or out of "era" elements like non-EX version drops from NMs, buffs to XP rings, etc. but don't you dare use Plugins that allow you to skip getting zone maps or whatever. I played around somewhere to relive the glory days of "Ranger destroys things" for a bit, but at the end of the day, do you really want to sit and grind out to level 75, sitting in a Qufim level sync (oh hey, out of era again!)?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-09-22 11:26:02  
Valefor.Esdain said: »
If I really wanted the level 75 experience, I would create a linkshell for others that wanted to play that way as well. Then I would make a new character on retail and never complete any level cap beyond Maat (or later job specific version of their 71-75 cap fight).
That JesterBuns guy who makes those goofy videos also streams, and on stream he handicaps himself to try to recapture that difficulty. But Retail makes that really difficult because if you forget to Call For Help on a single monster while climbing the up to the Promyvion Spires (for example), you level up so quickly. And you have to leave specific jobs at every level because you can't Level Sync in Battlefields.

By the time you get to Minotaur, your party's already grown 10 levels just from trying to farm the key.

Not to mention there's just that temptation if you've failed to just say "screw it" and do the fight at 75 or 99. And you've gotta do at least one job to 99 or else you can't even complete Wings of the Goddess, let alone anything that came after.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-09-22 12:02:38  
fillerbunny9 said: »
there's a lot of nonsense with era servers I never really get the appeal of. like, some are totally OK with things like Gearswap, or out of "era" elements like non-EX version drops from NMs, buffs to XP rings, etc. but don't you dare use Plugins that allow you to skip getting zone maps or whatever. I played around somewhere to relive the glory days of "Ranger destroys things" for a bit, but at the end of the day, do you really want to sit and grind out to level 75, sitting in a Qufim level sync (oh hey, out of era again!)?
Exactly. Everybody's thoughts on what should be included or excluded is going to be different. Further proof that it's not just banking off of nostalgia. The goal of a "classic" server shouldn't be to just reverse time to 2003, it should be to narrow down what stuff you like about XI and focus on that.

The problem is that almost all quality-of-life changes have some sort of negative impact. Most of them involve automating things that would otherwise require player input and in some cases skill or knowledge. Almost all of FFXI is about figuring out what's optimal and evolving as a player. The more accessible you make a game, the less room there is to grow as a player.

Something like Home Point warps are huge. It cuts the time to get stuff done into a fraction of its former self. But it also makes the world feel smaller and makes obsolete other transportation methods like chocobos and the Teleport spells. Just throw your airship pass in the garbage because taking them is a complete waste of time now.
The ability to hit level 99 in just a few hours is awesome for anyone who wants to start grinding their endgame stuff, but it makes the rewards from quests and missions meaningless and any item that isn't Item Level 119 wholly obsolete.
Making the Promyvions uncapped makes them super easy to solo, but takes away the thrill of crawling up to the Spire and overcoming that tough fight.
 Sylph.Feary
サーバ: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2022-09-22 12:23:58  

I think it might be kind of much easier for people to god-tier gear their fresh level 75s to 75 era equipment too. I mean you could farm a Ridill on your main and mail it to your little level 75 char too. Also, abjurations equipment must be much cheaper as well.

Honestly though, the main thing that I miss about the 75 era are friends that have quit the game long ago. The real level 75 cap era game's fun was the friends we made along the way.

they wouldnt do this because in the end, the deciding factor its not about 75 cap, its about free game. dont let anyone fool you or tell you any thing different.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-09-22 12:26:02  

I've already done this on live, one of the characters on my account has several level 75 jobs geared according to that era and will never go beyond that level. I got all my XP going through old zones with trusts or having a friend or two tag along, was fun and best of all I get to keep all the QoL improvements we get.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-09-22 13:17:38  
They really should let you level cap in story fights if you want to. Could be fun with trusts, at least so it didn't cheapen the story
 Fenrir.Aladeus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2022-09-22 13:23:32  
I get nostalgic for 75 era from time to time, but like others have said, most of the feelings are from interacting with the ppl you were in party with every day for hours at a time. There's no real way to recapture that without a time machine. Have I messed around on a private server? Sure. I ended up leaving after a bit cuz the GM's were power tripping losers, so that ruined the experience too.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-09-22 13:34:17  
Draylo said: »
They really should let you level cap in story fights if you want to. Could be fun with trusts, at least so it didn't cheapen the story
It's too bad the developers didn't come up with the concept for Trusts a little bit sooner, because then there wouldn't have been a need to remove the caps in the first place.

Now for them to go back and add the option to handicap oneself would be too much work for the payoff.