RIP Queen Elizabeth II
 Asura.Racingjaw
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Racingjaw
By Asura.Racingjaw 2022-09-09 04:27:13  
Thunderjet said: »
Rest in Dog piss colonizer

Ah yes... the "coloniser argument." The same colonisiers that brought order, civility and prosperity to it's colonies, most of whom continue to enjoy the benefits of upholding English common law and traditions whilst upholding their own identity. Sure, the British empire did some very grim things... however to put things into perspective:

"Making the mother of all omelettes here Jack. Can't fret over every egg!" - Senator Armstrong

It's human nature to remember negative interactions over the positive due to instinctual survival habits. However in order to build something great, you must have the capacity to destroy and not be afraid to use it. If it was not for the British Empire, there would be a very likely chance that most of these colonies would still be in mud huts and killing each other over petty issues... or would have been colonised by another nation and probably would have subjugated the people a lot worse than the British empire ever did.
[+]
 Asura.Aerox
By Asura.Aerox 2022-09-09 05:40:35  
Lest we forget the colonial ambitions of France, Spain, Portugal, Nertherlands, Italy and Germany.

In the end Britain was the most successful and we got the commonwealth on the back of the Empire, which is actually well loved by former colonies as far as I can see. Everything works out well in the end. Let the past be the past I say. It's a lesson not a vendetta.
[+]
By kishr 2022-09-09 11:28:35  
Ding dong the *** is dead.
On another note, a 73 year old man finally gets a job.
Hope in her will she returned the 6 counties back to Ireland.
[+]
 Asura.Illuminate
By Asura.Illuminate 2022-09-09 11:39:18  
Bahamut.Negan said: »
Afania said: »
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
As someone in my early 40s, I feel like my entire life has been preventing Charles ascending, and now we've failed.

At least you don't have to see him on your money everyday, unlike Canadians....
Oh boohoo! Smoke a joint, have a Molson, watch some hockey and get free healthcare

This post about free healthcare - not directing any bad feelings toward Negan. I think it's a common impression that Canadians have free healthcare.

Keep in mind, nothing is actually 'free' in healthcare. The buildings cost money to make. The doctors are contracted by the government and make tons of cash. They get paid like 20$ for every prescription they fill. The government bureaucrats get their fair pay too. Nurses get salaries. Hospital equipment costs money.

So tldr it costs money for healthcare, Canadians 'pay' for it with taxes, while the government racks up more government debt because of it. The pink elephant in the room is that Canada (and many other governments) haven't been making a dent in their national debt and just keep riding out with minimum payments. Imagine you had a credit card and kept racking up debt and an increasing minimum payment each month. I would consider that ridiculously irresponsible.

Just my two cents thanks for anyone who was interested to reading my post!
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-09-09 11:48:48  
The grass is always greener on the other side.
[+]
By Afania 2022-09-09 12:32:20  
Bahamut.Negan said: »
Oh boohoo! Smoke a joint, have a Molson, watch some hockey and get low quality free healthcare with endless wait time

Fixed for Negan!
 Quetzalcoatl.Cristoir
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Cristoir
By Quetzalcoatl.Cristoir 2022-09-09 12:55:17  
RadialArcana said: »
Ireland doesn't care about this stuff anymore, they are more concerned with being controlled by the EU.
One of the few Irish people who still play chiming in! Support for the EU is at 91% here in Ireland, second only to Malta. Membership has been transformational for this country and we are now, more than ever, a sovereign nation with a proud identity as both citizens of Ireland and the EU.
You're correct though about most not really caring, but there's plenty of meme stuff going around anyway(the majority of it probably not even coming from here).
Most of us want reunification in our lifetime and given our history you won't find many monarchy fans here, but overall the majority just noted the event as a big international news story. She lived a long and very comfortable life. Her visit here in 2011 struck a good diplomatic chord and few would have any personal issues with her, but being the public face of a colonial empire comes with hundreds of years of baggage (over 800 in our case).
Our similarities far outweigh our differences. I hope relations between our countries improve again after recent strains, all of our goals can only be achieved by working together.
My genuine condolences to those saddened by the news.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2022-09-09 13:14:42  
Asura.Racingjaw said: »
Thunderjet said: »
Rest in Dog piss colonizer

Ah yes... the "coloniser argument." The same colonisiers that brought order, civility and prosperity to it's colonies, most of whom continue to enjoy the benefits of upholding English common law and traditions whilst upholding their own identity. Sure, the British empire did some very grim things... however to put things into perspective:

"Making the mother of all omelettes here Jack. Can't fret over every egg!" - Senator Armstrong

It's human nature to remember negative interactions over the positive due to instinctual survival habits. However in order to build something great, you must have the capacity to destroy and not be afraid to use it. If it was not for the British Empire, there would be a very likely chance that most of these colonies would still be in mud huts and killing each other over petty issues... or would have been colonised by another nation and probably would have subjugated the people a lot worse than the British empire ever did.

i, too, am a fan of slavery and apartheid
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2022-09-09 13:21:00  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
The good news is, now she can be a FATE servant

:^]

it's high time for nasu to make a new servant class designation. we need a place to stick elizabeth II, reagan, and thatcher
By kishr 2022-09-09 13:48:57  
burn and lock this *** thread, f her the c**t
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2022-09-09 13:59:55  
Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
i, too, am a fan of slavery and apartheid

Hey, don't give those dirty brits the credit for creating slavery. That's definitely an Egypt and African invention.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2022-09-09 17:30:45  
kishr said: »
burn and lock this *** thread, f her the c**t
If you are out of chill pills you can probably find some at the store <over there>

also odd that you self censored ***, like we are talking about a British monarch, they use that word pretty freely there.

Your insult probably falls a little flat do to that fact, my guess is it is about equality to calling someone an "***" in the states but idk maybe a brit can chime in.
[+]
By kishr 2022-09-09 19:32:06  
I'm not sorry your mum passed. boo hiss...
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2022-09-10 02:25:52  
I honestly only made the thread because I figured that, given the polarized views of the British monarchy, it was likely that someone would make a thread with an OP or title that would just lead to a toxic discussion.

As an American, the royals are little more than tabloid fodder to me, but as a general rule I find it unwise to revel in the deaths of others. So on a lighter note, here are my favorite memories of the Queen:

[+]
By Afania 2022-09-10 04:43:42  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
but as a general rule I find it unwise to revel in the deaths of others.

I don't understand the point to blame one person for a controversial system(like colonization, monarchy) that more than one person is involved building it anyways. Elizabeth II wasn't even the queen during colonization era, but somehow she represents it in this thread, geez.
[+]
 Bahamut.Demoncard
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Demoncard
By Bahamut.Demoncard 2022-09-13 17:11:38  
The same colonisiers that brought order, civility and prosperity to it's colonies,
The same empire that was deporting hundreds of thousands of people to distant shores - often for petty crime, and to this day has higher crime rates than most of its former colonies?

most of whom continue to enjoy the benefits of upholding English common law and traditions whilst upholding their own identity.
You'd be surprised at how much laws might change in just under a century. Most of the books in this room, certainly the statute books, would be of virtually no use to me in those countries.

If it was not for the British Empire, there would be a very likely chance that most of these colonies would still be in mud huts and killing each other over petty issues...
We never made it our mission to educate the world or spread technology, and I can't imagine a pettier reason to kill someone than for a tea of tea. Or a cup of garam masala.

While this country did furnish its colonies with some advances (In India, for example, their first railway), the intended beneficiaries of these projects were invariably the British, and usually undertaken with slaves and later indentured labour, with the prime concerns being for cost efficiency and continued domination of the people. The EIC was not some charity that just happened to be in possession of an army twice the size of the crown's. Occupied peoples making the best of it afterwards, and the Germans occasionally treating their subjects in differently horrific ways, doesn't make for very convincing whitewashing. Even the modern UK isn't half as benevolent as that perspective you're suggesting exists outside of a few historians trying to rehabilitate the empire with reference to cooperation with humanitarians who would only have had lighter workloads without it. I think this retreat into final fantasy, may have been brought on by the reality of our Britain, which is anything but great right now.

And on the topic of falling for illusions, the queen is not dead: the nation has already been placed under her forbidden genjutsu accessible only to members of the royal family - it was during that televised handshake with Truss, the cameraman made the mistake of focusing on her eyes. You didn't think she'd let Ocharlesimaru take over that easily, did you? By the time he's done with his tour and absorbing the power grid, it will be too late for him.
By Tarage 2022-09-14 19:10:58  
I'm sure she was a nice woman but the monarchy is a parasite on the UK and should be abolished because the majority of those *** keep turning out to be pedophiles and sex pests.