Other Mmorpgs Increasing The Price Of The Sub

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Other mmorpgs increasing the price of the sub
Other mmorpgs increasing the price of the sub
By RadialArcana 2022-04-24 17:37:03  
Eve online announced they are increasing the price of the sub from 14:99 to 19.99.

https://massivelyop.com/2022/04/22/eve-online-is-hiking-its-sub-price-to-almost-20-and-the-price-of-plex-is-going-up-too/

Runescape is increasing the price of their games by an additional $2 a month.

https://massivelyop.com/2022/04/06/jagex-announces-plans-to-raise-prices-of-subs-and-cash-items-for-runescape-and-old-school-runescape-on-may-4/

Both games also have cash shops.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-04-24 18:59:17  
Technically 11 did too
By IGDC 2022-04-24 19:07:03  
Draylo said: »
Technically 11 did too

SE charges the exact subscription cost it did on day 1. So technically, they haven't.
 Bahamut.Balduran
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2022-04-24 19:13:05  
IGDC said: »
Draylo said: »
Technically 11 did too

SE charges the exact subscription cost it did on day 1. So technically, they haven't.

Technically correct, but realistically I think he is referring to the mandatory additional costs involved to allow access to many jobs at maximum potential, min-maxing, which is the quintessential example of the FF11 veteran players, which are many these days.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-04-24 19:15:03  
The correct terminology would be, XI effectively did, too. Or maybe essentially did too. Basically did too. Whichever makes it the most accurate.

See square used the "optional" route to avoid this exact headline. (and it's effective, simple marketing)

Instead of forcing 20k people $1 they opted for a 1/4 of the population for $4, they are effectively the same thing. But with significantly less bad press.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-04-24 19:21:00  
Runescape and EVE Online are both free to play games where the majority of the active playerbase does not buy the membership with active dev teams and weekly to monthly content additions that amount to more than "Adjusted Ambuscade and added some cutscenes".

XI's price hasn't gone up because the effort and investment from SE has gone down while industry wide costs have increased, while simultaneously embracing the true meth addicts like me who don't mind paying for 3 accounts a month, or people who buy all 8 wardrobes. This allows them to meet the demands of whoever they need to answer to to keep the game running.

XI still requires you to pay at least $12.95 a month, and as soon as you add any microtransactions (Wardrobes, mules, et al) on top of that, it adds up. Neither of these other games require you to spend anything to play them to a point, which most people end up quitting before to begin with. Majority of people playing free to play games are mooching.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-04-24 20:08:34  
maybe I'm naive, or maybe my lack of other online gaming shows here, but I actually have enjoyed the fact that SE has chosen to monetize "optional" services like the wardrobes, while not adding a p2w shop or increasing base subscription cost.

Of course they're only optional to more casual players, but in reality we're paying for convienence, not winning. If you utilize the "free" methods of storage in game that slow us down, like porter moogles, one can easily still be maximum effectiveness at 4-6 jobs I'd wager, possibly more depending on crossover gear. If you want on-the-fly job changing like is needed to maximize play time and potential (in particular when swapping jobs inside a triple-NM run of Gaol, for example), you pay for that.

Its far from perfect, but again- I'd still take it over a p2w shop or across the board price creep.
[+]
By Hopalong 2022-04-24 20:57:02  
Yes, I have been so secretly happy with how I pay a base fee, then pay for wardrobes instead of other alternatives like P2W behind some random lottery that costs to use.

They can't now increase their base subscription cost anyways because they already did wardrobes, that would backfire pretty quick and be redundant.

I personally have an Alt that I use sometimes but is usually not under subscription because that was the opportunity cost of paying for wardrobes. I'm not going to pay $35+ a month for ffxi. I pay $12.95 + 3 x $1 mules + 4 x $2 wardrobes = $23.95. I'm not willing to go higher and if it increases more, I'll have to cut something else out.

But I'm happy with ffxi atm. Would love to see the next push after this lackluster Voracious Resurgence side-content be an expansion like someone said above. I'd give that a 10% chance of happening though.
By GetHelpNerd 2022-04-24 21:01:37  
yeah it's really not comparable due to the games being free for 95% of the game and the games having hundreds still on staff with active development.

nice try though radial, keep grasping at straws
By Bosworth 2022-04-24 22:12:58  
Yeah, I'm not really sure what the point of this post is
 Odin.Risenangel
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Risenangel 2022-04-24 22:18:03  
Eve online community actively protests the price increase. However, not to get in to any real world events happening, but for Eve online at least there are/were a TON of Russians playing Eve. Many Russians can no longer connect to the game, nor even able to sub to it.

With that being said, that's the "excuse" that CCP games is giving. They can no longer sustain the game with how many people they lost because of current events.
 Leviathan.Andret
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2022-04-24 22:46:57  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Runescape and EVE Online are both free to play games where the majority of the active playerbase does not buy the membership with active dev teams and weekly to monthly content additions that amount to more than "Adjusted Ambuscade and added some cutscenes".

XI's price hasn't gone up because the effort and investment from SE has gone down while industry wide costs have increased, while simultaneously embracing the true meth addicts like me who don't mind paying for 3 accounts a month, or people who buy all 8 wardrobes. This allows them to meet the demands of whoever they need to answer to to keep the game running.

XI still requires you to pay at least $12.95 a month, and as soon as you add any microtransactions (Wardrobes, mules, et al) on top of that, it adds up. Neither of these other games require you to spend anything to play them to a point, which most people end up quitting before to begin with. Majority of people playing free to play games are mooching.

True but realistically FFXI has a corporate leech that keep draining its profits to fund games like... FF14 (the failed one) and such instead of reinvesting the profits back into the game. They also compete with the game so... SE shot itself in the foot but tries to stand 2 boats at the same time anyways.

The JP player base got it right all along. It's the NA peeps like you who got it in the shaft and liked it. The JP thinks a game subscription is like a magazine subscription. You pay for a monthly fee and they give you a new magazine every month. That's why a whole of them hated the expansion pack that charged money.

SE realized they couldn't hack it as a subscription magazine so they tried to reinvent themselves with FF14 and hope to steer people down into the rabbit hole. They also tried a bunch of free MMO on the side to test the waters.
 Sylph.Ketsui
サーバ: Sylph
user: Lutia
By Sylph.Ketsui 2022-04-25 01:54:22  
They can't change the price of the base subscription of FFXI: PS2 Limitations.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-04-25 08:31:36  
I think it's interesting to see what is going on in the rest of the industry, pure sub based games are near extinct these days with 11 being one of the only (if not the only) remaining ones.

I think it's possible even wow and 14 get sub increases in the coming months(even with their cash shops), mainly because one of the reasons for this happening is the massive increases in power costs (and demand with elec vehicles) in Europe and these games have EU data centers.

I dunno how power prices are in the US but in the EU they have near doubled this year, and look to keep increasing.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-04-25 08:48:21  
RadialArcana said: »
I think it's possible even wow and 14 get sub increases in the coming months(even with their cash shops)
I bet if XIV got a price increase XI would as well. I just can't see them letting us have even that one luxury.

You don't need gigawatts of electricity to maintain a server because they're just there for the math while our own hardware does the dirty work. Any price increase is going right into the pockets of a publisher.
By Hopalong 2022-04-26 20:12:00  
I think Se for FFXIV and FFXI already did their price hikes and have their strategy in place which they already used at least for this year.

WoW is losing people so doubt they will increase base sub, just add more costumes or something.
 Asura.Jdove
サーバ: Asura
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2022-04-26 20:27:07  
Yea, FFXI already raised the price and disguised it as inventory expansion.
By Genoxd 2022-04-26 20:29:20  
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
You don't need gigawatts of electricity to maintain a server because they're just there for the math while our own hardware does the dirty work. Any price increase is going right into the pockets of a publisher.

This is very naive. Server components break, data is not free, and neither are employees. The prices of everything slowly increases over time: labor, hardware, utilities.

Just because a server is "just there for math" doesn't mean it's free and doesn't mean the costs don't increase over time.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-04-26 20:55:41  
Genoxd said: »
This is very naive. Server components break, data is not free, and neither are employees. The prices of everything slowly increases over time: labor, hardware, utilities.

Just because a server is "just there for math" doesn't mean it's free and doesn't mean the costs don't increase over time.
On the contrary, because my point was that the cost of electricity is virtually negligible compared to the other costs, you and I are both on the same page. I'm just saying that the increased cost of electricity shouldn't be enough on its own to warrant a massive price jump for servers.
By RadialArcana 2022-04-27 05:11:07  
Hopalong said: »
I think Se for FFXIV and FFXI already did their price hikes and have their strategy in place which they already used at least for this year.

WoW is losing people so doubt they will increase base sub, just add more costumes or something.

If they decide to do it, they will work together and raise prices at the same time.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
サーバ: Bahamut
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2022-04-27 07:54:17  
Asura.Jdove said: »
Yea, FFXI already raised the price and disguised it as inventory expansion.
Yea but that's not raising the price its giving you the option to do it which isn't the same. Like all the people here I've seen post about how you don't need to play every job or need every piece of gear it's not forced. Also people really gonna talk about the mog price when most people just gave them a ***ton of money for alt accounts just so they can do Aman trove?
[+]