users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Jobs
Jobs
 Asura.Ravenkiller
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: ronsterx
By Asura.Ravenkiller 2021-11-03 19:19:24  
Hi I was wondering which jobs are most popular/or in demand atm for solo content/party setup. Thinking of coming bk and playing. Asura server I’m on. I’ll be looking for a linkshell as well. Thank u all.
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-11-03 19:28:33  
For solo any job works really, there's enough DT gear to go around now that anything soloable can be done with trusts and a decent DT set on most jobs. Pretty sure I watched a video of a WHM solo w/ trusts take down an Omen boss once.

For party content, BRD.
[+]
By SilentKing 2021-11-03 19:57:30  
BRD, GEO, COR, RDM, WHM - Always a constant demand. Level of gearing and cost varies, but all enjoy constant shout demand for invites.

RUN, PLD - Likewise, with some bigger gear hurdles.

Any DDs - Well there are plenty in the wings, so unless you want to make your own groups fairly regularly. Well I wouldn't bother, or get these geared by playing other jobs (for now hopefully).

Any other jobs, either are fun to play solo or have niche uses, but you won't be getting into a lot of shouts (see above rule).
[+]
By Shichishito 2021-11-03 20:51:32  
SilentKing said: »
BRD, GEO, COR, RDM, WHM
fixed it for you.
srsly, GEO isn't exactly favored in latest content due to the roaming nature and everyone has it leveled.
YouTube Video Placeholder

can we burry the lvl GEO meme?
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2021-11-03 20:57:21  
Play whatever job you like - don't level jobs that do not interest you. If support isn't your thing don't do it, the same goes with Dps jobs. Make friends and aim to enjoy the content at your pace.

End of the day any job you put effort into can be useful.
[+]
By Mattelot 2021-11-04 06:01:54  
Shichishito said: »
fixed it for you.
srsly, GEO isn't exactly favored in latest content due to the roaming nature and everyone has it leveled.

They can if they're competent. The issue with Geo is that so many play it but do it very poorly. They're like the old 75 Brds who would case 2 Minuet and afk.

To the OP, even if you considered or were eye-balling Geo, most groups will want a Geo with an Idris, which will take a minimum of 6 months to acquire due to coalition tags.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-11-04 06:27:26  
I don't consider COR an "in demand" job to suggest to either returnees or new players any more. The standard of performance expected these days out of COR is an extremely high bar, and also an extremely expensive one. No one has patience for "oh I'm just starting, I'm a roll COR only" these days, nor do they really have any reason to. Its an amazingly enjoyable job, but one that a LOT of people have geared to a very high end. I think its better to lump COR in with the other more straightforward DDs in terms of "work on this on your own time, but have job(s) you can you take to events".
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2021-11-04 08:36:49  
BRD, GEO, COR, RDM, WHM
BRD - you'll be expected to have 4 REMAs and all the sets you need for max potency/duration songs (unless you're playing with friends or not on Asura).
GEO - nerfed in newer content and you'll be expected to have Idris (same caveat applies as above).
COR - most people will expect you to have several sets of expensive DD gear and at least a Mythic (some clowns on Asura will also want a +8 to rolls dagger for their pugs as well). Lots of people also have this geared either on their mains or alts, thanks to how OP the job was in Dyna D.
RDM - needs like 10 high end sets to be really functional as a support, some expensive weapons if you want to DD.
WHM - if you're willing to actually play it to some extent (as opposed to turning on healbot and going afk), this is probably the job that will make it the easiest to find groups right now. Minimal gear investment as well, compared to the other jobs on this list.
By SilentKing 2021-11-04 09:01:15  
Just getting a chuckle out of this. Yes any job is going to have gear requirements and most likely (required) REMA to make. But for the OP, those jobs don't need to be maxed-leet-w/e to get into an Intense Normal Ambu.

Yes of course, if we are doing Wave 3 full clear, with like eight people, I would have expectations there. The jobs listed are easy to get off the ground to where you can make gil and items needed to get into that more intense content. They provide enough invites that you won't feel alone doing stuff solo, cause you're not X, Y, Z.

Though a lot of this forum becomes irrelevant if you have a good group of friends you can play with.
[+]
By Mattelot 2021-11-04 09:04:38  
Just getting a chuckle out of this. Yes any job is going to have gear requirements and most likely (required) REMA to make. But for the OP, those jobs don't need to be maxed-leet-w/e to get into an Intense Normal Ambu.

Yes of course, if we are doing Wave 3 full clear, with like eight people, I would have expectations there. The jobs listed are easy to get off the ground to where you can make gil and items needed to get into that more intense content. They provide enough invites that you won't feel alone doing stuff solo, cause you're not X, Y, Z.

Though a lot of this forum becomes irrelevant if you have a good group of friends you can play with.

While you're not wrong that you can "make" most any of those jobs work without REMA, he's from Asura where the "If you don't glow, you don't go" attitude is a lot more common than many servers combined.

That's the unfortunate part about many healing or support jobs is that those types of things are more expected than DPS jobs where you can get away with simply having ambuscade weapons or in some cases geas fete weapons.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-11-04 09:08:55  
Mattelot said: »

While you're not wrong that you can "make" most any of those jobs work without REMA, he's from Asura where the "If you don't glow, you don't go" attitude is a lot more common than many servers combined.

That's the unfortunate part about many healing or support jobs is that those types of things are more expected than DPS jobs where you can get away with simply having ambuscade weapons or in some cases geas fete weapons.

Strange- I've always experienced more demanded of DDs than of backline jobs. Everyone and their grandma has a DD and of course wants to play it, so in order to get one of those spots you better be on point- but try having super high standards for those support jobs on most servers and you'll be looking for quite a while.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2021-11-04 09:10:13  
Asura.Essylt said: »
BRD, GEO, COR, RDM, WHM
WHM - if you're willing to actually play it to some extent (as opposed to turning on healbot and going afk), this is probably the job that will make it the easiest to find groups right now. Minimal gear investment as well, compared to the other jobs on this list.

This "WHM doesn't really need gear to be able to play it" bandwagon is really annoying.

WHM needs just about as much gear as any other job DT sets, idle sets, barspell sets, enhancing magic sets, balanced cure sets to maximize cure potentcy/mp cost/etc.

Yagrush is also an amazing weapon to have for WHM. I would put it at the top of the best mythic weapons list.
By SilentKing 2021-11-04 09:10:43  
Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget said: »
This "WHM doesn't really need gear to be able to play it" bandwagon is really annoying.

WHM needs just about as much gear as any other job DT sets, idle sets, barspell sets, enhancing magic sets, balanced cure sets to maximize cure potentcy/mp cost/etc.

Yagrush is also an amazing weapon to have for WHM. I would put it at the top of the best mythic weapons list.

I don't think anyone is saying any job doesn't have must-have gear needs, but for trivial content we do when returning or starting out, you can get by with a lot of "meh" to sup-par stuff. But it doesn't take a neurosurgeon to cure Ambu on normal. I mean hell, SCH is in the same boat, and they get passed over constantly even though they can do better than half of the WHM on the server lol.

Ya, I feel you, unless you're using the power of AmEx. You pretty much are locked out for a year or so as you have to get CP, Gear, REMA, etc. Plus side you got alot to do, and alot of fun to have. But you won't be off doing Wave3 next week unless you're paying for it. Yes, a lot of DDs can get away with BS weapons and meh gear. Like I said earlier unless you got a passion for forming groups, you won't get in. Cause you know, Asuran politics of "MUST BE SHINY ALL THE THINGS R15 MASTER BIG CHEESE."
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2021-11-04 11:12:58  
All true, but since OP is planning to play on Asura, I wanted to adjust the expectations to the level of a regular pug shout on that server.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-11-04 12:04:30  
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the main point of this thread is to gauge which jobs the OP may want to prioritize. They may already have a few jobs in mind that they want to play and probably just want to know if any of them are more worth pursuing than others.

That's how I think a lot of the time: I'll do something like narrow it down to my five favourite jobs and then turn to the community to find out if any of them are completely outliers on either side of the spectrum. It's just a good way to get a starting point; making a Venn diagram between "like to play" and "should play" and go from there.

Things like REMA may not even factor into things because that's something that comes far later down the line anyway.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong lol
I dunno.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-11-04 12:11:34  
I really shouldn't suggest this because of what it creates, but I am going to anyways because it is the most logical:

Just start out with Warrior. You have the easiest-to-obtain high level gear set in Sakpata which allows you to skip basically everything else and be Event Ready. You can buy or farm a Naegling from Ambuscade in a relatively short period of time, and nobody is going to require you to have any insane sets for you to join PUGs. In fact, just having Naegling and maybe another weapon and you are a golden boy for Odyssey PUGs. You don't have a huge responsibility in the group since DDing is one of the easier aspects of the game, plus you have a built in DT set that doubles as a DPS set to help you survive and kill at the same time. No required REMA, no unrealistic expectations to even join. Just a sword and board and a set of blurple armor. Once you earn more gil, you can take on another job that requires more, but for solo/party, I think Warrior is a fantastic job and basically fool-proof.
[+]
By Mattelot 2021-11-04 12:25:29  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Strange- I've always experienced more demanded of DDs than of backline jobs. Everyone and their grandma has a DD and of course wants to play it, so in order to get one of those spots you better be on point- but try having super high standards for those support jobs on most servers and you'll be looking for quite a while.

I can see it varying from group to group, server to server.

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
In fact, just having Naegling

This is an example of what I was referring to Celebrindal. Ambu weapons are not difficult to get, especially when you can get a free pulse weapon from ROE. Naegling is a versatile beast.
[+]
 Leviathan.Hadriel
By Leviathan.Hadriel 2021-11-04 13:52:24  
Not really issue of the most popular jobs, it is more of an issue of competent players with adequate gear/skill.

If you ask in a group that you just meet up with or even on here you will get told the jobs that those people need most, not what will be most used in your setting. There are a few reasons for your experience being different.

Number one, possibly the most important part. Odyssey, this requires you and your group to have several jobs that play at a fairly high level (v15) and if you are going for RP on fights you will be locked out of certain jobs due to the no repeat jobs mechanic in a x3 + 1 run for maximum points.

Number two, another reason would be something I touched on previously. Each group has different needs, you can be in a shout group that needs a healer for Ambu, and come event time you need to be on tank. But if someone else has tank and you are lacking a dd or support you will need to swap around. This also goes with the first reason since sometimes some players might have the same job as you but you might play better than them on healer and they may be better at tanking or support than you. You would need to swap around for the highest likelihood of clearing v15 without an issue.

Final note, which is more important than a lot of people realize. You need to have a solo job, there will be downtime in the game or just time in the game that you will need/want to do things solo. There are a variety of ways to solo things, typically your solo job is your most decked out though. There is probably a solo video for just about every fight in the game on almost every job as well. Yes some do better than others for specific fights, but they are not cure-all jobs.

tldr; there is no cure-all job type, especially when looking into Odyssey, you will need to make a series of capable jobs in a short period of time. Larger group content (i.e. dyna) are generally more lenient and allow a larger range of jobs, but when it comes to odyssey x3 + 1 normally means your 6 man group will use 18 of the 22 jobs anyway. (Think I have seen every single job used in odyssey during various nms)
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-11-04 15:47:55  
For Asura server, and it could be different on others, back line jobs are kind of... how to say. Basically a ton of people have pocket BRDs and such that they have had for years and it will take a lot of investment to be better than some pocket BRD.

COR is bandwagon AF atm, imo. It's like BST and MNK from AByssea days.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-11-04 15:49:39  

I can see it varying from group to group, server to server.

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
In fact, just having Naegling

This is an example of what I was referring to Celebrindal. Ambu weapons are not difficult to get, especially when you can get a free pulse weapon from ROE. Naegling is a versatile beast.

Oh was quite aware you were referring to the Naegling/Shining One bandwagons that so many who either don't play those jobs, or play them poorly, hitch their hopes and dreams to. NOT implying you are one of those types of players, merely that they do exist and are quite numerous.

The thought of people I've always partied with is that while it might be easy to throw together something that can at least show up on a parse, the game is overflowing with people who have dedicated years in some cases to gearing up a DD job, and we'd rather have those in the DPS slots than some unaugmented 5/5 sakpata WAR who claims Naegling as their primary weapon. The lifetime DD very likely has true DT/meva sets, multiple weapon builds, understands the nature of enemies better, and works with other DDs better than that 'basic ***' DD you and bukki tout. I want their brains, not just their gear.

And standing in the back on a support job is the fastest way to be able to observe what's really happening in an event, to learn to associate certain enemy moves with specific enfeebles or effects, and to see from the outside observer perspective hate management and overall dynamics. Rushing someone into a DD slot with little game knowledge is just asking for poor performance and something to go wrong.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-11-04 20:18:23  
I disagree. Less skilled players should play DD because the barrier is lower, the damage requirement isn't too high to meet, and the DD are less likely to be the result of a failure in A PUG. I would much rather have the better, experienced players on jobs like tank and healer vs DD, because the reverse will just result in far more headache. I also don't agree that the backline is the best place to observe an event. Do you know how many average GEO or BRD or whatever don't even pay attention to battle mechanics and just sing/roll/afk? Healers that have to be told to remove status ailments? I have taken hundreds of "good enough" DD jobs to events over the years where their only role was to just deal damage. We managed. It's much harder to achieve the same with less than mediocre support, tank, or healers. I won't even bother doing Odyssey segment farms with a random white mage anymore.

I'm not here to advocate laziness though. But the guy is from Asura and he asked for suggestions on popular/in demand jobs. As lazy and boring as Savage Blade spam, I have to admit it begrudgingly gets the job done as far as DD goes. It's probably the easiest DD to play.
By flyingtaru 2021-11-05 00:07:45  
Not really. Everyone has a gimp one yes.

Shichishito said: »
BRD, GEO, COR, RDM, WHM
fixed it for you.
YouTube Video Placeholder

can we burry the lvl GEO meme?
By flyingtaru 2021-11-05 00:31:16  
Except, they really don't need the gears sets like you describe to be efficient enough to function as WHM. The bar is quite low. Sorry it's frustrating and not sure why it worked out this way. It's just a reflection on where this job landed.

Most sets of gear have very low requirement to get a functional WHM going and not even remotely required to max out to play well for most events. You cannot say that for most other jobs.

I do advocate capped DT as helping lead LS events can be frustrating when folks hit the ground too often from very little sources of damage. However, my WHM mule was never capped on it for a long time and I never died. Usually the grounders were folks who never had DT and had not set anything up until you beg for that be worked. For WHM though, hopefully he's not the new LS tank...

Now let me clarify I'm not suggesting I think it's okay to bringing said returnee to hardest content while severely under geared, but for most things to get going again a returnee, WHM is valid option to as WHM just is a low requirement/commitment job to get functional.

Lastly, yes a Yagrush I think is amazing to get, it's hard for me to put on the top of the list as it's just not that necessary for most things. It's just another make it easier tool. However, many other mythics are mandatory where as Yagrush isn't. Only a dedicated WHM would bother here.

Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget said: »
Asura.Essylt said: »
BRD, GEO, COR, RDM, WHM

[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-11-05 01:48:36  
flyingtaru said: »
Lastly, yes a Yagrush I think is amazing to get, it's hard for me to put on the top of the list as it's just not that necessary for most things. It's just another make it easier tool. However, many other mythics are mandatory where as Yagrush isn't. Only a dedicated WHM would bother here.

I certainly wouldn't call Yagrush a "must", but I'm curious what you consider "mandatory" among the other mythics more than Yagrush. No doubt that Mythics are my favorite category of RMEAs to make and use, so I do think many can be so game-changing for their jobs they almost feel mandatory.
[+]
By Nariont 2021-11-05 02:11:52  
Hard to think of another REMA that really adds as much as yag does potentially aside from aeonic horn/emp harp. It's certainly not a requirement, but being able to aoe stat removals without the need of a strategem/DS/hoping for a emp hat proc is very nice tool to have.

EDIT; forgot the ole idris, even when bubbles are nerfed its still pretty potent increase, plus the pet DT frees a lot of space
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-11-05 02:36:36  
Nariont said: »
Hard to think of another REMA that really adds as much as yag does potentially aside from aeonic horn/emp harp. It's certainly not a requirement, but being able to aoe stat removals without the need of a strategem/DS/hoping for a emp hat proc is very nice tool to have.

EDIT; forgot the ole idris, even when bubbles are nerfed its still pretty potent increase, plus the pet DT frees a lot of space

oh if we're discussing all RMEAs, totally different conversation than if restricting it to just Mythics.
By Mattelot 2021-11-05 06:02:43  
The thought of people I've always partied with is that while it might be easy to throw together something that can at least show up on a parse, the game is overflowing with people who have dedicated years in some cases to gearing up a DD job, and we'd rather have those in the DPS slots than some unaugmented 5/5 sakpata WAR who claims Naegling as their primary weapon. The lifetime DD very likely has true DT/meva sets, multiple weapon builds, understands the nature of enemies better, and works with other DDs better than that 'basic ***' DD you and bukki tout. I want their brains, not just their gear.

That's one thing that's surely off-putting to some newer players or returning players. They feel left out due to this but at the same time, those picking the more geared players are not really bad guys either. Some of us don't have lots of hours a day to invest, so of course someone will want to pick the most geared people so they can get the content done more efficiently.
 Lakshmi.Cesil
user: Valkyrie
By Lakshmi.Cesil 2021-11-05 06:17:35  
I say play whatever job you enjoy :) I play Dnc, it's my favorite and great for soloing!
 Shiva.Thorny
サーバ: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-11-05 07:09:46  
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
making a Venn diagram between "like to play" and "should play" and go from there

I think this is an understated point, the OP did not ask if they should play what they like, they asked what's popular. Some gamers enjoy getting access to content more than the enjoy the differences between one job and another. The idea that you can 'play what you like' is not equal for every game, and FFXI is one where picking an unpopular job like BST or PUP can severely hinder your ability to progress.
 Bahamut.Balduran
サーバ: Bahamut
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2021-11-05 07:39:11  
Lakshmi.Cesil said: »
I say play whatever job you enjoy :) I play Dnc, it's my favorite and great for soloing!

Dancer is awesome! Do you favor Terpsichore by any means?