2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Security Token
Security Token
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Crawlerbasher 2021-11-02 18:16:41  
So my Security Token has died on me and since I do not have the password used to release the security token, I had to go though Square Enix Support.

How long does it take to get this sorted?
Is there anything else I can do to get this removed faster?
By Bongarippa 2021-11-02 18:40:19  
I always wondered what would happen when these things finally took a ***. Its been what, 10 years now since we've gotten the tokens?
 Bismarck.Drakelth
サーバ: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2021-11-02 18:42:36  
Asura.Crawlerbasher said: »
So my Security Token has died on me and since I do not have the password used to release the security token, I had to go though Square Enix Support.

How long does it take to get this sorted?
Is there anything else I can do to get this removed faster?

took me about an hour when I came back 3 years ago, mine had desynced. they askes some questions about the account and all was good. depends on if support is open.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-11-02 18:47:48  
You can disable these if they are still active on the account website, or you can buy a new one. If you want to avoid the hassle when the battery dies.
By Asura.Crawlerbasher 2021-11-02 18:54:47  
RadialArcana said: »
You can disable these if they are still active on the account website, or you can buy a new one. If you want to avoid the hassle when the battery dies.

Can't login to the website as it requires a one time password, which I can't get because its broken.

I had contacted them this morning, and still nothing, even in my spam folder.
 Leviathan.Psymia
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Psymia
By Leviathan.Psymia 2021-11-03 05:13:14  
When my token died, i used the live-chat support to have someone unbind it from my account.

Had to provide the serial number of the token (on its back).
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-11-03 05:16:18  
I de-activated mine a good 5 years ago, but since I always kept it with my bassoon reed making tools, it had become a bit of a good luck charm for quality reeds ^^ Dead or not, it still sits in the 2nd tier tray, far left.

I think getting it desynced won't be a problem if you can get in touch with a human via support and still have the hardware (for the serial number on the back) as well as can answer some basic account questions. The only difficult part will be talking to a person in the first place :)

Best of luck.
By Draylo 2021-11-03 05:17:01  
Have to use support, i talked to some guy on the phone when I changed phones. Almost 0 reason to use the physical tokens these days just use your phone app
 Bahamut.Balduran
サーバ: Bahamut
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2021-11-03 05:49:38  
Very importantly, to existing and new token users, store the SQEX emergency removal password in a safe place! That way you can recover your account WITHOUT having to contact support and go through that hassle, if incase you ever lose access to your phone or token with the one-time password on it.

Also, Square Enix now suports various other software authentication applications (Google authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator etc). Smarter to use one of those since their backup mechanisms are much better than the Square Enix security token app. For example, if you restore your iOS backup with a Square Enix authenticator, the one-time password no longer works and the app is reset rendered useless. While a Google or Microsoft authenticator will retain all one-time passwords (SQEX and other apps) when backed up and restored.

More info http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/18517/detail.html
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-11-03 06:14:01  
My security token will probably die in the next months.
What is the procedure to remove the physical OTP generator from your account?
I assumed that you had to contact the SE customer service through email and tell them the serial number behind the token.
Now you're telling me there's another procedure that I can do on my own?
By RadialArcana 2021-11-03 06:48:26  
Asura.Sechs said: »
My security token will probably die in the next months.
What is the procedure to remove the physical OTP generator from your account?
I assumed that you had to contact the SE customer service through email and tell them the serial number behind the token.
Now you're telling me there's another procedure that I can do on my own?

https://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=12832&id=496

After that, you can either use an app, get a new one or go without.

You can also download an app for your phone to use as a security token, I used it a while ago on a new account to get the mog thing.

https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/seaccount/otp

Can also still buy them, to add a new one (this is a link to the US store)

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/search/security%20token
 Bahamut.Balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2021-11-03 06:54:02  
Can't believe they're still selling them hardware tokens, and anyone foolish enough to buy one.
By RadialArcana 2021-11-03 06:56:38  
It's a square Enix account security system, it works on any game whit a square enix account. FFXI or FFXIV.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-11-03 06:58:07  
Yeah I mean, I know you can remove it easily when it's still working and move to a Software one, of course.
But I was talking of the removal procedure when the physical token has stopped working
To my knowledge the only way to remove it in that scenario was to contact SE directly through email.
By RadialArcana 2021-11-03 07:01:22  
Yeah once it's no longer working you have to contact support.
 Bahamut.Balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2021-11-03 07:02:37  
Yeah I mean, I know you can remove it easily when it's still working and move to a Software one, of course.
But I was talking of the removal procedure when the physical token has stopped working
To my knowledge the only way to remove it in that scenario was to contact SE directly through email.

Yes you can if you've saved the emergency removal password somewhere, you can use it to regain access to your account without the security token, otherwise, you'll have to contact Square Enix. So if you are still able to use your token to log into your account, it would be wise to save that emergency password somewhere.

You can find the password in your Square Enix online account page.
[+]
 Bahamut.Balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2021-11-03 07:13:06  
RadialArcana said: »
It's a square Enix account security system, it works on any game whit a square enix account. FFXI or FFXIV.

Why pay $14 for a legacy hardware token, when you can get one for free on any smartphone, and never have to worry about it. This one is a no brainer.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-11-03 07:42:54  
Bahamut.Balduran said: »

Yes you can if you've saved the emergency removal password somewhere, you can use it to regain access to your account without the security token, otherwise, you'll have to contact Square Enix. So if you are still able to use your token to log into your account, it would be wise to save that emergency password somewhere.

Thank you Balduran! That would've answered perfectly to my initial question.
Sadly my situation is different.
I guess this "emergency password" is a thing only for software tokens?

Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-11-03 07:44:29  
Btw if someone lost access to his security token (hardware or software, doesn't matter) and wants to contact SE to remove it, this is the form you need to use, from Europe at least.

https://support.eu.square-enix.com/spform.php?id=612&la=2&h=757f5b83
 Fenrir.Jinxs
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2021-11-03 09:08:59  
Because of this thread I now wonder how long I have left on mine. I currently have to use a stick to forcefully push the red button.

This looks like a bit of a hassle.
 Bahamut.Balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2021-11-03 12:51:47  
Bahamut.Balduran said: »

Thank you Balduran! That would've answered perfectly to my initial question.
Sadly my situation is different.
I guess this "emergency password" is a thing only for software tokens?

oh! ya man looks like it! best to get the token removed soon and swapped with the software token. My pleasure :)